Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

I wish he wouldn't sign for another English club, especially a Championship one. He's clearly not suited to the EPL, yet is definitely a talented player who will do well in the right league. If he went abroad, Italy again maybe, he could play in their highest league and would do well. Sticking in England means he'll be warming the bench of an EPL club or playing in the second tier. Seems a waste.

Perhaps but that's not really our concern if it happens.

It's a shame that one of the more highly rated young players in world football has flopped so hard that he's now in the championship. No club wanted him because of his wages. Hope he bucks his ideas up and just gets on with his football as he's such a talented player!!!

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gaston-ramirez-joins-middlesbrough-loan-10789127

In Summary:

1. Saints wanted any interested club to pay his £60k a week salary. This scared off Boro, Bologna and Swansea.

2. Ramirez's representatives then got in touch with Boro again and a 3-way compromise was made. Boro will pay him £20k a week, Saints will pay him £20k a week, and Ramirez will give up £20k a week.

3. He will sign for them later this week as his wife has just gone into labour.

Saints will save £40k a week until the end of his contract which assuming it ends 30th June means they will save around ~£1m. I would imagine this has been allocated for Charlie Austin. Good work all round from Saints.

Craig Honeyman ‏@Craig_Honeyman

Gastón Ramírez is such a fantastic footballer. Steve Gibson is without doubt the best Chairman in football massive credit to Neil Bausor too

What the hell is he basing the "fantastic footballer" bit on ? Nothing he has done at Southampton or Hull thats for sure !

That brings to a close a sad chapter of money wasted by our football club.

60k per week !! just think how many ticket sales have gone just towards paying him for not playing, and as someone has pointed out above that is in addition to the vast sums wasted on Osvaldo and the legend Mayuka!

During our barren run of results there were quite a few posters criticising Saints lack of spending, just stop and think how much better we could have been if Koeman had that money to spend instead of having the highest salaries at the club tied up in contracts for players who were not good enough to play.

60k per week !! just think how many ticket sales have gone just towards paying him for not playing, and as someone has pointed out above that is in addition to the vast sums wasted on Osvaldo and the legend Mayuka!

During our barren run of results there were quite a few posters criticising Saints lack of spending, just stop and think how much better we could have been if Koeman had that money to spend instead of having the highest salaries at the club tied up in contracts for players who were not good enough to play.

Everything a gamble. Some pay off, some don't.

Those that don't make a risk, don't generally get anywhere.

On Osvaldo and Ramirez there is however no doubt we lost. I wouldn't criticise the club for trying though

fair play to him for taking a wage cut to enable him to get games, although in the long run that might be an astute move, especially if he plays well, as it might lift the wage in his next contract be that with Bologna or maybe Boro themselves.

Shame we couldn't get someone to buy him or sign him outright on a permanent deal as he will be back on our wage bill when the loan deal ends. Add to this out of contract players are paid for several weeks (by their previous club) after their contracts have ended if they haven't signed with anyone else.

This is true, we should all have a great deal of sympathy with Gaston and the trauma he must have suffered living in Hull. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even Gaston's mate Alpine. Hull City of Culture 2017.

[OK, confess I have never been to Kingston upon Hull, went very near it once when we crossed the Humber Bridge]

...and sensibley didn't stop ; I take it ......

fair play to him for taking a wage cut to enable him to get games, although in the long run that might be an astute move, especially if he plays well, as it might lift the wage in his next contract be that with Bologna or maybe Boro themselves.

Shame we couldn't get someone to buy him or sign him outright on a permanent deal as he will be back on our wage bill when the loan deal ends. Add to this out of contract players are paid for several weeks (by their previous club) after their contracts have ended if they haven't signed with anyone else.

He's out of contract in the summer, I don't know where you have heard that but clubs don't have to pay them when that contract ends whether they find a club or not. Sort of the whole point of contracts

Osvaldo was on higher wages and Gaston actually did OK for the first half of our first season then didn't get a look in under Poch.

I'm not saying we would of but you could argue without his goals and assists we might have gone down.

I know you're trying to like him, but in his first season (half Adkins /half Pochettino) he started 18 games (subbed in 13 of them) and came on as a sub. 5 times.

In total he scored 5 league goals first season. 2 of those in games we lost ..and the other two in drawn games and we won one by 2-0 (so he earned us 2 points ).

There are people on here who don't count " assists " as a statistic, but I do and I'm sure he made a few.

I'm sure he's a nice fellow, it's a shame he didn't fit in. I feel sorry for him that he's had to take £20,000 /week wage cut, :rolleyes:so i hope he survives OK up North.

This is true, we should all have a great deal of sympathy with Gaston and the trauma he must have suffered living in Hull. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even Gaston's mate Alpine. Hull City of Culture 2017.

[OK, confess I have never been to Kingston upon Hull, went very near it once when we crossed the Humber Bridge]

You obviously haven't been to Hull. I might have shared your view once, but now I know the city fairly well and it's become lively and not at all a bad place to live.

The old town has some great pubs.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

You obviously haven't been to Hull. I might have shared your view once, but now I know the city fairly well and it's become lively and not at all a bad place to live.

The old town has some great pubs.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I did say I have never been there. Drove past (nearly) yesterday. I'm sure it is a fine place to live. Probably better than Middlesbro.

Of all the players we've signed over the past few years, he was the one I really wanted to see go on to become a true world class player.

Like others, I was buzzing when I heard he'd signed and saw it as a real statement of intent from the club - and I certainly wasn't disappointed after watching him in his first few games.

But, for reasons unknown, he just seemed to go more and more off the boil, and never really came back.

I only see Middlesbrough as a stop-gap until the end of the season. If he's then off to Penarol (or one of the Italian clubs come in for him), I really hope it serves to re-ignite his career.

What the hell is he basing the "fantastic footballer" bit on ? Nothing he has done at Southampton or Hull thats for sure !

He's put in a few good performances when given the chance, including chipping in with goals and assists.

What has he done so badly wrong in any game that allows you to dismiss he's a goodplayer so ababrupt?

Just a quick question - do you think JRod is a waste of money? After all he hasn't played at all last season and only 248 minutes this season? Just think how many ticket sales have gone towards paying him for not playing. During our barren run of results, just imagine if we hadn't have extended his contract but cut him loose blah blah blah. As I pointed out on the other thread, he played 26 league games in his first season, scoring 5 and assisting 3 - tell me, was that money wasted?

I remember his first game against Villa, he had me on the edge of my seat, he was a player who had magic feet and someone I was looking forward to seeing again and again, I couldn't believe we had signed such a gifted talent.

And that was it, a one game wonder.

I was so excited when he signed, cheered him when he was presented to the crowd at the Man Utd game, cheered him in that wonderful game against villa (remember us all walking back to the station singing "O Gason Ramirez!")

Then it never pushed on. I kept hoping, but it never happened

For me the last straw was when he came against West Ham recently, fluffed his cross and screwed up our last chance to equalise

Just to say, I've never seen anyone caught dawdling on the ball as much as Gaston - whether for us or Hull.

He ain't gonna get much time on the ball in the Champioship either.

He might do if the teams just sit back against Boro which you could see happening. They're probably the strongest team/squad in that league.

My overriding memory of him will be the feeling that we had somehow beaten Liverpool to this guys signature. I remember the scousers feeling miffed and suggesting we might be onto something big.

The youth setup, the core of English players, the ability to buy talent from under the mighty Liverpool's noses.

Alas it hasn't quite worked out like that although we're not a million miles away either.

Of course we're unlikely to ever eclipse these uber elite teams but it's nice being competitive -relatively speaking.

All the best Gaston... Thanks for the dreams - for this fan at least.

I wouldn't moan either if I was on £60K per week.

Although fair play to him to take a £20K per week cut to be able to play elsewhere.

I haven't kept up with tax credit thresholds so may be that he gets topped up by Govt

My overriding memory of him will be the feeling that we had somehow beaten Liverpool to this guys signature. I remember the scousers feeling miffed and suggesting we might be onto something big.

The youth setup, the core of English players, the ability to buy talent from under the mighty Liverpool's noses.

Alas it hasn't quite worked out like that although we're not a million miles away either.

Of course we're unlikely to ever eclipse these uber elite teams but it's nice being competitive -relatively speaking.

All the best Gaston... Thanks for the dreams - for this fan at least.

That was the rumour bandied about at the time, though I'm not convinced Liverpool were actively pursuing his signature. When we went up against them for Coutinho, it was pretty clear from the off that we had no chance.

Just a quick question - do you think JRod is a waste of money? After all he hasn't played at all last season and only 248 minutes this season? Just think how many ticket sales have gone towards paying him for not playing. During our barren run of results, just imagine if we hadn't have extended his contract but cut him loose blah blah blah. As I pointed out on the other thread, he played 26 league games in his first season, scoring 5 and assisting 3 - tell me, was that money wasted?

No i don't think Rodriguez was a waste of money, we bought him from the Championship for £7M, he scored a load of goals for us in the top flight (top scorer wasn't he?) and got himself an England cap, that is exactly the sort of signing we should make when "taking a gamble", the poster "Winchester Red" above states that every signing is a gamble, sure i appreciate there is no formula for guaranteeing a player will succeed, however if you through most of your chips in at the table hoping your big bets come off and then they don't it doesn't leave us with much to play with. The fact is Cortese was happy to gamble big and then needed the Liebherr's to step in with more cash when those failed.

The fact is Koeman had the amount of money available to him restricted as income from the club was still needed to pay off the bets of the previous manager / chairman.

I think gaston got some rough criticism from fans, it's difficult making an impression when your not in the first team as you see with the likes of Juanmi, even players of falcao'a caliber have struggled in this situation.

To me he always looked a exciting player that could turn a game and I think if he started consistently he would make have a big effect.

Good luck to him for the future hope he goes on to be the world class player he's capable of and I wouldn't be at all surprised if we regret this in the future

No i don't think Rodriguez was a waste of money, we bought him from the Championship for £7M, he scored a load of goals for us in the top flight (top scorer wasn't he?) and got himself an England cap, that is exactly the sort of signing we should make when "taking a gamble", the poster "Winchester Red" above states that every signing is a gamble, sure i appreciate there is no formula for guaranteeing a player will succeed, however if you through most of your chips in at the table hoping your big bets come off and then they don't it doesn't leave us with much to play with. The fact is Cortese was happy to gamble big and then needed the Liebherr's to step in with more cash when those failed.

The fact is Koeman had the amount of money available to him restricted as income from the club was still needed to pay off the bets of the previous manager / chairman.

OK.

But in his first season with us, JRod in a more attacking position scored one more goal than Gaston did in his first season. Shame that Gaston seemed to go backwards, while JRod went forwards. But I would dispute your bit about throwing most of your chips onto the table and not coming off. Given that we apparently did, how did we prosper? Do you think we under achieved because all those chips went on bad bets?