Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

He strolls around, doesn't get stuck in, over hits passes and generally has been very average. I read in the Fail that Sevilla have been eyeing him up. Why?

Only watched second half, but struck by the amount of effort he has been putting in. Strange what happens when player is fit. Shsmr it had to be s h i t Nugent who scored the winner.

Only watched second half, but struck by the amount of effort he has been putting in. Strange what happens when player is fit. Shsmr it had to be s h i t Nugent who scored the winner.

Take your word for that, as I had fallen asleep

I cant believe the time and effort that people put in for players who have left the club.

Not much effort really is it, to watch a game of footie and note how a current player of Saints, out on loan, is doing? Or do you think that sitting on your fat arse looking at the box, is a lot of effort?

I believe that phenomenon is known as "Saganowski's law".

From what he said the other day it looks like he wants to stay and prove that he can play in the Premiership. Good luck to the bloke. I hope he does.

Come on old boy it hasn't been the Premiership for some thing like 9 years.

Or you talking Scotland

If Boro sign him and he does well then what will that prove? He's a good player? He's already proved it elsewhere but also proved that he has failed at Southamptonm and Hull. Three managers including one that may well win the PL this season have failed to be convinced by him, what does that prove?

Listen, we played Aston Villa in the cup back in November, it was a crisp night and we were on top of our game at the time and they were bottom and were probably not bothered about this cup. If there was ever a match that GR could have performed, it was this one, but he didn't, he was his usual self. Jesus, even Maya scored in this match! Truth is, I dont believe that he was that bothered about playing for us anymore, just biding his time perhaps.

Maybe he has been waiting for a better offer back in Italy and maybe that is not going to happen and maybe he has woken up and thought, I had better pull my finger out and play well so someone signs me next season. But he is playing in the Championship and until he does it in the PL, so what! And if he does do it in the PL with another club, so what, in the same way as all the players we have let go are pretty much all doing sh ite now, he is one that might be the reverse.... might though.

'Even Maya scored' yeah but the assist was from Gaston and truly one of the best assists ever seen at St Mary's.

And why would being 'a crisp night' help him perform?

For the record it was October.

Take your word for that, as I had fallen asleep

Not much effort really is it, to watch a game of footie and note how a current player of Saints, out on loan, is doing? Or do you think that sitting on your fat arse looking at the box, is a lot of effort?

You say not much effort. I think that finding out when Middlesbrough are playing, whether he played and how he played and then thinking up another way of slagging him off and then coming on here and doing it does involve a bit of effort. Especially as the player in question us highly unlikely to play for this club again.

I was watching the match anyway and decided to highlight his poor performance to silence the people who keep banging on about calling him back or giving him another chance just because he had a good couple of games.

I was one of his biggest defenders for a while but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit that he just isn't suited to our league and move on.

I was watching the match anyway and decided to highlight his poor performance to silence the people who keep banging on about calling him back or giving him another chance just because he had a good couple of games.

I was one of his biggest defenders for a while but sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and admit that he just isn't suited to our league and move on.

Hes been their best player since joining them and I dont think he was that bad last night Boro as a whole were quite sluggish , Add to that Karanka was prepared to get the sack over playing him in the hole rather than Downings idea of 4-4-2 which he went crying to the chairman about I dont think hes doing badly !

Hes been their best player since joining them and I dont think he was that bad last night Boro as a whole were quite sluggish , Add to that Karanka was prepared to get the sack over playing him in the whole rather than Downings idea of 4-4-2 which he went crying to the chairman about I dont think hes doing badly !

Never said he wasn't doing well and if you read back I praised one of his performances. Last night he was terrible. A lot of running but gave the ball away in midfield a lot and they nearly conceded from the counter but for Elmohamady skying it. Just thought it would be funny to highlight it seeing as though so many want to re sign him when he has a good game in the second division.

It is one thing to watch a match and make a comment about a player who no longer plays for us, but some people seem to seek these games out in the hope that the player or players are crap. There is a time to let go.

It is one thing to watch a match and make a comment about a player who no longer plays for us, but some people seem to seek these games out in the hope that the player or players are crap. There is a time to let go.

I totally agree.

I tend to find that if I have nothing worth saying or contributing to a thread that it is best to keep quiet about it. If you want to let it go, fine, let it go, but if others want to comment on it, then fine, let them comment on it. We really don't need sanctimonious posts admonishing others for what they do.

Never said he wasn't doing well and if you read back I praised one of his performances. Last night he was terrible. A lot of running but gave the ball away in midfield a lot and they nearly conceded from the counter but for Elmohamady skying it. Just thought it would be funny to highlight it seeing as though so many want to re sign him when he has a good game in the second division.

How many have actually stated that he should be re-signed?

I tend to find that if I have nothing worth saying or contributing to a thread that it is best to keep quiet about it. If you want to let it go, fine, let it go, but if others want to comment on it, then fine, let them comment on it. We really don't need sanctimonious posts admonishing others for what they do.

If you removed all of the sanctimonious posts admonishing others for what they do there wouldn't be much of a Board and Fry and his buddy Hypo would be out of business! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
QPR 2 Middlesboro 3 . ......another goal for Gaston.

Boro upto top 2 again.

Unmarked near post header from a corner immediately after Boro had a penalty saved. Then subbed after about an hour. Seemed to do a lot of passing then standing still. Same old.

6 Adomah: Didn’t have a lot of opportunity to showcase his attacking skills, but closed down superbly and ran himself into the ground

7 Ramirez: Showcased his technical excellence in flashes and made a great front-post run to glance home Boro’s second goal

5 Downing: Another quiet night for the midfielder, although his work-rate and commitment couldn’t be faulted

6 Rhodes: Took his first-half goal superbly and was a threat all night, but spurned a glorious second-half chance to add to his tally.

Season ratings their best player, shame never worked out

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/21

he has gone. never really made it here.

did pretty well in season 1, under adkins. that was it and absolutely never pushed on from there

ah well. I was pretty excited at the time, despite a few experts in the media saying he would generally flop over here

he has gone. never really made it here.

did pretty well in season 1, under adkins. that was it and absolutely never pushed on from there

ah well. I was pretty excited at the time, despite a few experts in the media saying he would generally flop over here

We were all excited when he signed. He did his best, but he was a combination of pure ability and utter haplessness. We might have got something out of him if we'd banned him from taking set pieces and stopped him trying to run at packed defences without thinking of passing the ball. His technique was superb, but he had no idea how to use it. I was in france visiting relatives, they were watching a uruguay international, got a free kick in extra time that could have been an equaliser. Gaston stepped up to take the kick, the family couldn't understand why I laughed out loud, said game over and got up to get a beer.

Are we going to keep this thread going every time he scores, or even every time he plays live on the box? It'll be fun. Thing is, he's playing in the championship now for a team at the top where he will see a lot of the ball, against much worse defenders than he's been used to. I dont think we should really be lauding him every time he scores a goal in a level comfortably worse than what we spent £12m to utilise him for. I see Dean Hammond scored the other day for Sheff Utd...lets start a thread about how he could still do a job for us if given a chance at Prem level...

Are we going to keep this thread going every time he scores, or even every time he plays live on the box? It'll be fun. Thing is, he's playing in the championship now for a team at the top where he will see a lot of the ball, against much worse defenders than he's been used to. I dont think we should really be lauding him every time he scores a goal in a level comfortably worse than what we spent £12m to utilise him for. I see Dean Hammond scored the other day for Sheff Utd...lets start a thread about how he could still do a job for us if given a chance at Prem level...

Maybe its because he is still a Southampton player. Only for a couple more months.

Maybe its because he is still a Southampton player. Only for a couple more months.

A Southampton player in registration only. In reality everyone knows he's never going to play for us again, hence loaning him out until his contract winds down in the hope someone will buy him, in this case Boro

A Southampton player in registration only. In reality everyone knows he's never going to play for us again, hence loaning him out until his contract winds down in the hope someone will buy him, in this case Boro

No one is going to buy him. He is a free agent. But you asked why we still get posts about him, reason is quite obvious, he remains our player, and while he does people show an interest in how he plays.

No one is going to buy him. He is a free agent. But you asked why we still get posts about him, reason is quite obvious, he remains our player, and while he does people show an interest in how he plays.

You know what I meant. Until someone signs him would have been a better way to say it, we are winding his contract down until he becomes a free agent. That better for you?

I hope and pray he turns it on and gets Boro promoted.

As it stands the other two N.E. numpties are going down and I desperately need my weekend on the Toon.

I'd rather see Brighton go up. And it would be bliss never to have to go to the NE again. ?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

A wet cold windy afternoon in Sunderland scarred me for ever. Godforsaken place with people talking in strange tongues

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

To be fair, I went to bristol once. Never again. Even if it meant getting into bed with a young debbie harry, I'd still draw the line at returning to that utter sh*thole. I feel much the same way about hong kong, but for different reasons.

There is a theory that you if you make a "bad buy"....(car, house....footballer? whatever)....the more you have paid for it, the more you want to believe it's really OK.

Yes.. Gaston's contract has "cost " Saints £20+ million, and little reward we've seen for it, but the fact that THREE managers have failed to use him says something more.

In all honesty, I'm prepared to believe that he may have been the right person in the wrong place......but wish I could say the same about Dani Osvaldo :blush:

Edited by david in sweden

Heard over the weekend that we offered gaston a new 2 year deal before he went on loan to Boro.

Him and his agent declined, but now he's going to struggle to get his work permit renewed or something along those lines as he hasn't played enough games for us.

Gaston and his agent have both come running back with tail between their legs but the club having none of it.

but the fact that THREE managers have failed to use him says something more.

THREE? Please elaborate. 44 league appearances in his first 2 seasons says otherwise, and hides the fact that he missed a loot of games through injury (dead leg and ankle ligament), suspensions (3 matches for elbowing Shane Long), after effects of Uruguayan jaunts and personal issues (I seem to recall the death of a close family member, was it his Mother?). Maybe you mean Steve Bruce (though even he played him 22 times). Not making excuses for the guy, he's not our problem any more in a couple of months, but some perspective is needed. Its interesting that a respected coach, former assistant to The Special One seems to be getting something out of him, albeit in the Championship. He's 25, still think one day he will make it, but probably not in the PL, his game is better suited to La Liga or Serie A where there is not the intensity of the blood and thunder of the PL.

Heard over the weekend that we offered gaston a new 2 year deal before he went on loan to Boro.

Him and his agent declined, but now he's going to struggle to get his work permit renewed or something along those lines as he hasn't played enough games for us.

Gaston and his agent have both come running back with tail between their legs but the club having none of it.

B*****ks