Gaston Ramirez

Dalek2003

He seems to be MOTM in every one of Boro's games nowadays. Maybe we need to reassess him. I must admit I never rated him when he was with us, but now he looks like someone we really need right now: an attacking midfielder who creates and scores goals consistently.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fc-man-match-vs-11265929

yes he does .......in the Championship. Perhaps the fact that he was ignored by three successive Saints managers says something more.

Don't expect RK to suddenly re-sign him.

Yep, Ramirez had plenty of chances and he isn't good enough for the PL. he's doing really well in the championship which is great for him but he's not going to come back to Saints and suddenly set the world alight.

Napalm, I just love it every time you talk about fire! ;)

Nasty gash, wasn't the most reckless challenge by Dale Stephens but still not very nice. Made Boro's goal that earned them promotion with a great free kick. Has been very influential in Boro's form since January. Will be interesting to see if Boro sign him now.

So how much can we salvage from Boro for him? If we can get £5m that would be an unexpectedly good outcome I think.

If we got 5 million, or even 5p it would be a masterstroke by Les Reed.

He is out of contract at the end of the season. Getting him off the wage list, will go some way to paying towards VVD's improved contract though!

He is out of contract at the end of the season. Getting him off the wage list, will go some way to paying towards VVD's improved contract though!

It should more than cover it, in fact.

So how much can we salvage from Boro for him? If we can get £5m that would be an unexpectedly good outcome I think.

We don't get anything. He's out of contract, a free agent. Still, some Boro fans are suggesting they give us 10 million :-))

He's 25, so too old for any compensation?

I really don't think Boro will be able to afford his wages.

You do realise that he is not on any wages after June? What we have paid him in the past is irrelevant. If Boro want him and offer him something sensible and no-one else offers him more then they will probably get him. Anyway with the new TV deal Boro like any other PL team probably can afford to pay him what we did (if they are mugs).

• 2 weeks later...
Did Gaston really score five goals in twelve Championship starts?

What did we do wrong?

"We were in the Premier League" is probably the standard answer. That said, with some confidence maybe he could do a job for them next season.

What did we do wrong?

I know everyone will say 'oh it's in the championship', which yes in parts is a lower standard league, but I think Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester show that the gap isn't what it once was. In the games I watched him in, he looked like he could see what nobody else could, which sometimes I felt was the case here when he set up chances that no one else saw coming (West Brom at home for Lallana), but understandably if that only happens once every game or two then it does give the appearance of being a passenger. Hopefully he stays with Boro and makes a Premier League career, never seemed to be a problem within the squad like Osvaldo was, so I think a lot of the criticism is slightly excessive, he just wasn't what the manager required.

I know everyone will say 'oh it's in the championship', which yes in parts is a lower standard league, but I think Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester show that the gap isn't what it once was. In the games I watched him in, he looked like he could see what nobody else could, which sometimes I felt was the case here when he set up chances that no one else saw coming (West Brom at home for Lallana), but understandably if that only happens once every game or two then it does give the appearance of being a passenger. Hopefully he stays with Boro and makes a Premier League career, never seemed to be a problem within the squad like Osvaldo was, so I think a lot of the criticism is slightly excessive, he just wasn't what the manager required.

Good summary. I guess we might know more when we play Borough.

What did we do wrong?

7 in his first 15 games, according to this http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/im-enjoying-football-again-says-11349515

7 in 17 overall according to wiki

Think we went wrong by buying him in a higher more demanding league.

He has talent though I've always believed that but far more useful in a possession dominating attack minded side, a burden in a team say when we played Spurs away, we would of not won that game had he been on the team sheet

Edited by Saint IQ