Saints release 6

Saint Garrett

being released from Saints (or any other good Prem.side) isn't an insult, or a rejection of their talent, but the bar is set very high in the Prem. and "late developers" often miss the boat just because they maybe at the right club at the wrong time - when their contracts runs out.

Cropper may have the potential to become a good goalie, but in those video clips I've watched from U21 games he seem to vary between very good and abysmal.

But (with rare exception) it's unusual to see many good goalies emerging before they are 25+. Those who do make it are often quite exceptional rather than just lucky.

Bart didn't distinguish himself very much when he had chances at SFC , but now looks a lot better with Ipswich (after a good spell at Notts.County).

Young goalie Chris Johns was already N.I. U16 goalie when we signed him, but lost his way through injury and others who came on the seen at the same time.

As for the others; Boruc and Hooiveld were predictable (thanks and goodbye), but the youngsters mentioned on the list were nowhere near good enough to even "cover " for their counterparts in the first team.

You can't keep them forever (with new talents emerging every season), but they may re-appear as better players after a couple of seasons in Championship or L1.

Past names; Leon Best and Dexter Blackstock (who was 5th choice striker at the time of his move) went on to make a living in the League, although they never really got to be Prem. standard and many people who were sorry to see Ben Reeves depart a while back, weren't surprised to see his excellent performances for MK Dons.

I hope they get good opportunities to show their skills, and - for encouragement - they might look to the likes of Rickie Lambert and Charlie Austin who were no great shakes at that stage of their careers, until their luck changed.

• 2 weeks later...

The full retained list is now on the Premier League website. The only thing of (slight) interest I noted was that one of the 2nd year scholars - Colm Deasy - is neither retained nor relased (or listed as a scholar).

Contract Players

Barnes Marcus Thomas

Bertrand Ryan

Britt William David

Clyne Nathaniel Edwin

Davis Kelvin Geoffery

Davis Steven

Debayo Joshua Akinkunmi

Flannigan Jake

Fonte Jose Miguel

Forster Fraser Gerard

Gallagher Samuel James

Gape Dominic Edward

Gardos Florin

Gazzaniga Paulo Dino

Hesketh Jake Alexander

Isgrove Lloyd Jeffrey

Isted Harvey James Duke

Long Shane Patrick

Mane Sadio

Mayuka Emmanuel

McCarthy Jason Sean

McQueen Samuel James

Mugabi Bevis Kristofer Kizito

Osvaldo Pablo Daniel

Pelle Graziano

Ramirez Pereyra Gaston Exequiel

Reed Harrison James

Rodriguez Jay Enriqus

Schneiderlin Morgan

Seager Ryan Paul

Sims Joshua Samuel

Stephens Jack

Tadic Dusan

Targett Matthew Robert

Turnbull Jordan Robert

Wanyama Victor

Ward-Prowse James Michael Edward

Willard Harley Bryn

Yoshida Maya

Scholars

Bakary Mohamed Richard

Clinton Kyle

Cook Oliver David Paul

Cvjeticanin Oskar

Hallett Jake

Jones Alfie

Kayembe Carel

Lea Joseph William

Little Armani (Offer Contract)

Olomola Olufela

Wilkin Stuart John

Wood William Nicholas (Offer Contract)

Free transfers

Boruc Artur

Cropper Cody Joseph

Hooiveld Jos

Johns Christopher Patrick Adam

Rowe Omar Reiss

Sinclair Jake Tony

Past names; Leon Best and Dexter Blackstock (who was 5th choice striker at the time of his move) went on to make a living in the League, although they never really got to be Prem. standard and many people who were sorry to see Ben Reeves depart a while back, weren't surprised to see his excellent performances for MK Dons.

Blackstock was sold for £500k so I'm not quite sure why you're discussing him in a thread about released players.

Best moved to Coventry when his contract expired, and we got £650k for him from tribunal due to his age - still a weird couple of names to pick from the heaps who have had their contracts not renewed though.

I'm surprised that Gaston is still on our retained list.

Are we just hoping to be able to recoup some money for him?

He is still under contract. We would have to pay off the contract to release him so we might as well retain him. Besides, unlike Osvaldo, he has not burned his bridges so he can report to training camp and give it a shot.

I'm surprised that Gaston is still on our retained list.

Are we just hoping to be able to recoup some money for him?

- Retained list is all the players who are still under contract beyond 30th June 2015.

- Released list is players who had a contract expiring in the summer (30th June 2015) and haven't been offered a new one.

Gaston Ramirez contract expires on 30th June 2016, so he was never going to be on the released list.