FIFA about to implode??

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-face-corruption-charges-in-us.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0&referrer=

The U.S. Is going after them for what we all basically know, it's racket.

Blatter's not been knicked but the writing is hopefully on the wall for the rest of his cronies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sports/soccer/fifa-officials-face-corruption-charges-in-us.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0&referrer=

The U.S. Is going after them for what we all basically know, it's racket.

Blatter's not been knicked but the writing is hopefully on the wall for the rest of his cronies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is largely irrelevant whether Blatter is implicated in these allegations. As the head of this corrupt organisation, the buck (or the millions of bucks) stops with him. If there was a shred of integrity in the man, he would withdraw from the election to be President, but integrity, honour, morality, honesty are not words that immediately spring to mind when one thinks of him. With luck, when some of his crooked henchmen are being cross-examined by the FBI, they will snitch on him and confirm that he was well aware of what was going on.

Meanwhile Blatter will no doubt be re-elected on Friday for another 5 years !

:mcinnes:

He's favourite to win convincingly as the majority of the organisation is corrupt in some form... otherwise it's like turkeys vote for Christmas if they back Prince Ali.

Maybe when they have finished with investigating the corruption and bribery in FIFA, they can start work on the Olympic organisation, which is probably an even bigger can of worms.

They went through their own clean-up some years ago, and are now a pretty transparent organisation. London would never have got 2012 if it wasn't.

I feel sorry for Sep Blatter, everyone under him in his organisation is corrupt except for him and so good at deception they kept it covered from him for decades.

Apart from him knowing about Teixeira and Havelange taking bribes over tv deals from the previous President, and him not doing anything about it when he came in.

Im sure I have read somewhere that Blatter will never step foot in the USA again as he will be nicked by their authorities.

It seems to be a commonly-held belief, but I'm not entirely sure it's that accurate. He's got no real need to go to the US, he doesn't need to bribe them with development cash. And anyway, the US has a pretty strong extradition agreement, hence the individuals arrested this morning could be extradited within days.

While I'm delighted that this is happening, I feel it's just a shame that it took the US to do it. I've just listened to the attorney general's announcement, and it was all about soccer, soccer fields, and "One of the most popular sports in the world".........Ah well, the main thing is that some serious crap has just hit a very big fan! :)

Meanwhile, up in the penthouse of News Corp towers in New York, Rupert Murdoch is doing his best Monty Burns impression, rubbing his hands together and breathing; "Excellent."

Fifa might be as hooky as hell, but football needs a global governing body.

Without one, football will descend into anarchy. With no global governance the game will fragment, and the likes of Murdoch will cherry-pick the best bits for their own ends.

I've blathered on before that Murdoch would love to do a Kerry Packer and set up a rival circus in association with top clubs who hate the fact that Fifa rules dictate they must release player for international duty to play in Fifa sanctioned competitions like the World Cup and Confederation championships.

Up until now, clubs have always fought shy, but if Fifa fragments, there will be nothing to stop the game's biggest clubs sticking two fingers up and going off to form their own TV-backed European/World league.

All it requires are the four top clubs from England, Germany, Spain and Italy, a few other big clubs from France, Holland, Portugal, a couple from Russia (now that they have money), mix in some Asian clubs, a few from the Americas (north and south), and Australasia and you've got a world league to rival the World Cup.

Actually, it won't rival the World Cup, because without Fifa's controlling hand, the clubs won't have to release their players for that, and can retain them to play in the World League, or whatever you care to call it. The World Cup as we know it will cease to exist.

I did speculate the 2022 tournament in Qatar might be the straw the breaks the clubs' backs, and could be the last World Cup as we know it. I might amend that forecast.

If Fifa implodes as a result of this, we might have already seen our last World Cup.

Think this is too far-fetched? I bet even now feelers are being put out among the G20, or how many clubs are in the elite group these days.

And it's certainly a scenario that was war-gamed among the BBC corridors of power several years ago.

In any other Corporate organisation the shareholders or non execs would insist on the CEO resigning. The S.O.G. should go while the goings good and get some 40+ years old person in with some fresh ideas, no baggage, and a clean broom.

Apart from him knowing about Teixeira and Havelange taking bribes over tv deals from the previous President, and him not doing anything about it when he came in.

Well that's not true. The moment he took over, he commissioned a thorough investigation to uncover every single step of how such a blatant and outrageous act of corruption could be carried out in a fine upstanding and respectable organisation like FIFA.

He still has it in his top drawer.

Allegedly.

It is largely irrelevant whether Blatter is implicated in these allegations. As the head of this corrupt organisation, the buck (or the millions of bucks) stops with him. If there was a shred of integrity in the man, he would withdraw from the election to be President, but integrity, honour, morality, honesty are not words that immediately spring to mind when one thinks of him. With luck, when some of his crooked henchmen are being cross-examined by the FBI, they will snitch on him and confirm that he was well aware of what was going on.

Well, according to the communications guy at the press conference yesterday this has nothing to do with Sepp as he's only the President and therefore can't be held responsible for the actions of individuals within the organisation.

:lol:

When FIFA goes pop, will we get an organization with an English name for a change? :)

Or will it be a PC blend of several languages like The Federation of Federationalez of Football Soccer Futbol Assosciationskis. um, Footzball Schwinehund.

Edited by Ohio Saint

Had the 'joy' of meeting Sepp Blatter a year or so ago. Every inch the politician and paraded himself as if he was a world leader. I asked him about Qatari workers rights and he was exceptionally dismissive, effectively saying there was no proof. On the issue of voting for the 2018/2022 world cup, he said that the corrupt individuals had been kicked off the executive. I asked him if this was the case, given that they were corrupt at the time of the vote, shouldn't there be a revote? He just tried to push that the issue is pretty much now closed and that they can move on. I also asked him, even if he is clean from the corruption, the fact that so much has been found under his watch, shouldn't he take some responsibility for that. Again, just flapped aside as if somehow he is in some bubble of purity.

Had the 'joy' of meeting Sepp Blatter a year or so ago. Every inch the politician and paraded himself as if he was a world leader. I asked him about Qatari workers rights and he was exceptionally dismissive, effectively saying there was no proof. On the issue of voting for the 2018/2022 world cup, he said that the corrupt individuals had been kicked off the executive. I asked him if this was the case, given that they were corrupt at the time of the vote, shouldn't there be a revote? He just tried to push that the issue is pretty much now closed and that they can move on. I also asked him, even if he is clean from the corruption, the fact that so much has been found under his watch, shouldn't he take some responsibility for that. Again, just flapped aside as if somehow he is in some bubble of purity.

That was probably because a senior offical at FIFA didn't see why he should answer questions from a spotty, precocious, know it all student.

How many people are employed by FIFA world wide ?

No-one seems to know. A Swiss politician being interviewed yesterday said FIFA was registered under a law intended for village member societies with a few thousand francs income - not a billion dollar international enterprise. Its this form of registration rather than as a public company which allows them to keep pretty much all information secret.

im amazed after the first question you were allowed a second!!

Fifa corruption: Vladimir Putin expresses support for Blatter

28 May 2015 Last updated at 13:02 BST

Russian President Vladimir Putin has said he supports a fifth term for Sepp Blatter as Fifa president and has

accused the US of trying to block his re-election.

Well, well, well - no surprise there then and the phrase "Birds of a feather flock together" springs to mind.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32911702

It was in a small reception of people! So no escape from him. Another person there pushed on similar lines! Though some were happy to just chat Gareth Bale...

Good for you. He may behave like Royalty but deserves a much harder ride than he's had.

Well I am very pleased to say that 2 hours ago Football NZ announced that they will be voting against Blatter.

They have been a very keen supporter of him in the past so this announcement is on the scale of the majority

on here wishing for the return of Redknapp. :lol:

Of course in the scheme of things this vote is very small beer but I hope that others who were going to vote

for Blatter also have a change of mind. However I won't hold my breath that this will be the case.

Blatter is bullet proof at Fifa as the football world outside Europe and North America loves him, he showers them with money and sells the world cup to nations around the globe so of course they will vote for him. I onlh ope that one day someone finds the smoking gun and managed to nail him much like I hope one day some catches up with Harry and proves at least some of the brown bag allegations. I won't however be holding my breath Blatter is rich and powerful and these people are notoriously difficult to catch!

Blatter really thinks of himself as a World leader with a government to support him and everything that goes with it. World leaders should come together and squash him like a pip. The Corporate sponsors could do themselves a favour too. Being associated with that odious reptile and his cesspit of an organisation can't be doing them any good at the moment.

Blatter really thinks of himself as a World leader with a government to support him and everything that goes with it. World leaders should come together and squash him like a pip. The Corporate sponsors could do themselves a favour too. Being associated with that odious reptile and his cesspit of an organisation can't be doing them any good at the moment.

Not sure it really makes any difference to the sponsors. They're not paying for association with FIFA, per se, they're paying for association with the World Cup. It just so happens that the deal covers the intervening years, but hardly anyone takes any notice during those times. Their stance will be that if they didn't continue their sponsorship, their direct rivals would happily take their place and get the exposure that entails. I don't think anyone would really notice if their headline sponsors were Mastercard, Burger King and Pepsi instead of Visa, McDonalds and Coca-Cola, to be honest.

Blatter needs to be carted off in a dawn raid next. How can he not have known what has been going on in his organisation?

Breaking news on the Beeb

There was a break - in overnight at the FIFA HQ in Zurich and the results of the 2026 and 2030 World Cup venues have been stolen!!