Calum Chambers

Redslo

It's a shame he went really as he'd have been a good replacement for Clyne. He looked a decent prospect for us at RB. Not sure why Wenger is persisting with him at CB. It's clear as day that he's not good enough in that position.

He started reasonably well for them last season at centre half but was quite unlucky with injuries. Tough position for a young lad to come into, especially at a club that size - tonight's failings seemed mental and verbal rather than down to lack of ability.

The only players who were ready for the step up were Morgan, Clyne and Lallana. All in mid 20s, Lovren was always erratic and just had a superb season for us, hopefully he's as bad as last year this season. Shaw + Chambers really should of stayed for the sake of their football development. 1 or 2 seasons as a defender and still a teenager, are there any examples of defenders that have made the step up to an elite club at such an age?

The only players who were ready for the step up were Morgan, Clyne and Lallana. All in mid 20s, Lovren was always erratic and just had a superb season for us, hopefully he's as bad as last year this season. Shaw + Chambers really should of stayed for the sake of their football development. 1 or 2 seasons as a defender and still a teenager, are there any examples of defenders that have made the step up to an elite club at such an age?

Imo Shaw will be a class act this season. He's already looked the business. Last season he was fat and then struggled with injuries. This season he's the #1 LB for a top 4 club. He'll come on leaps and bounds.

Lallana truth be told wasn't really good enough. He was very good for us for a season or two but was given MUCH more freedom with us. He's not getting the same freedom to roam at Liverpool and now they have two players better than him in his position. Un ****ing lucky Adam.

Chambers hasn't got the pace to play FB long term in the modern game . He's got the makings of a centre half or a defensive midfielder , but he needed to learn his trade at a mid table club . Arsenals great for a Walcott , Lallana type player but even decent centre halfs struggle with Wengers set up. It's the wrong club at the wrong time .

Never understood where all this rubbish about Chambers not having the pace to play full back. Ok he's not a quick as Clyne but he's no slouch. CB's come of age later so hopefully it pays off for him but for me he hasn't yet mastered the positional discipline to play CB and I really don't think he's going to play enough games at Arsenal to develop very quickly.

It's a shame he went really as he'd have been a good replacement for Clyne. He looked a decent prospect for us at RB. Not sure why Wenger is persisting with him at CB. It's clear as day that he's not good enough in that position.

He looked poor at RB for Arsenal last season. He seemed to spend most of his time pulling players shirts and getting booked. Arsenal looked much better at the back when Wenger finally dropped him.

Chambers moved far too early. Fourth choice centre back and possibly 3rd choice right back isn't a good thing for his development. Should still be at Saints, would have saved us wasting money on Cedric who looks worryingly poor.

You might level that at all the players that have left Saints to go to Arsenal. Admittedly AOC and Theo have been blighted by injury during the past 2 season (13/14 and 14/15) but prior to that they have not been first choice after their big money moves.

And Cedric looks fine to me.

I just don't understand why nobody pulled him to one side and said "I know it's flattering and they're a big club, but you need to be playing regularly to get to a level where you can make a big move and be a first choice player, and you aren't there yet". 21 games he played for us. Ridiculous

He has not improved in the slightest over the last 12 months because he hasn't played enough. He's an idiot for moving and will end up being shipped out on loan to Sunderland or some other ****hole when he could have been here playing games and actually improving as a player. It's not as though he will be earning astronomical money at Arsenal either, probably not much difference to what we could have offered him

Of all of the players that left last year Chambers' mover was the one that shocked me the most. Didn't see it coming at all. At the time I was gutted as we were losing one of our young rising stars. From what I have seen of him since I think it was a very shrewd move by the club and I wouldn't want him back again. £16m was a steal. I think he has made a very poor career move that may have looked good short term, but long term could well have screwed his career.

I just don't understand why nobody pulled him to one side and said "I know it's flattering and they're a big club, but you need to be playing regularly to get to a level where you can make a big move and be a first choice player, and you aren't there yet". 21 games he played for us. Ridiculous

He has not improved in the slightest over the last 12 months because he hasn't played enough. He's an idiot for moving and will end up being shipped out on loan to Sunderland or some other ****hole when he could have been here playing games and actually improving as a player. It's not as though he will be earning astronomical money at Arsenal either, probably not much difference to what we could have offered him

Perhaps they did and perhaps the lure of a big club now was too much for him?

Unfortunately there was an agent in his other ear telling him that the only way he could kick on his career and get international recognition was to go to a big club in London and not stay at some footballing back water like Southampton.

Last season wasn't a bad season for him at all - 36 appearances (23 in the Premier League) is a very good record for someone so young at such a good club.

His issue now is that he is the fourth best right back Arsenal have and fourth best centre halve and games will be harder to come by as the emergence of Bellerin and signing of Gabriel is going to severely impact his gametime.

Agreed he played a lot at the start of the season when there were a number of injuries but was used less towards the end of the season and Arsenal's form improved. I watched him several times last season and thought he was very poor - both at CH and RB. True he is still young and he may well improve but I think his career has gone backwards since he went to Arsenal.

I think his step father was a director of the agency who handled him. He was grossly under developed and needed to serve his apprenticeship. Badly advised. Hodgson did him no favours by giving him a full cap then not good enough to be picked for the U21s last summer. He was all over the place last night. He is not good enough in the air or at reading the game at centre back. Wenger says he sees him as a class defensive midfielder in due course. He has no role models at Arsenal for that. A good move for Saints but I fear that this lad will eventually drop down the leagues.

Very badly advised to move for two reasons. A, too young to go as was still learning his trade, and b, who is the last player who went to Arsenal and improved? It has been said that Arsene is a good manager but not a good coach meaning that he doesn't really develop players. They either are good or not. See Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain as well who would have become better players had they stayed longer at Saints.

I don't mind people making money out of their talents and endeavours, but so much before the lad has even paid his dues is a nonsense.

Agreed, but Arsenal are willing to pay it.

He'll probably admit that he moved to early, those that advise him will probably say he moved to early but when there's big wages on the table and a massive signing on fee\pay day for all, how does he turn that down?

He might break his leg the next day and never be able to earn that kind of money anymore.

I think most take it because they're worried they wont be offered that kind of money again and they just hope that they'll be able to make that step up in quailty required for the top 4 clubs.

ultimately, money talks and it talks the loudest

He looked very nervous in the tunnel before the teams came out and seemed a little terrified of Benteke with a result that many passes went astray. He is in the England under 21 squad though, so he must be doing something right. Otherwise Gareth will not play him just as Wroy would not play Clyne perhaps!!

I wonder if he looks at Morgan now and realises that that was the way to go...

I've always said he's not a CB, still I think he's a bit of a t**t he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is or as good as shaw was but yet he left to sit on the bench for arsenal he would of been our first choice RB right now. 100% it just comes down to money like football in general unfortunately.

If Arsenal loaned him to us, would we put him straight back in at RB before Cedric ?

Not that i think it will happen but no don't think so, according to my Arsenal supporting mate he reckoned he really struggled at right back for them.

He might need a bit of re-integation back into the squad first.

He's also 3rd choice RB now. A shame, really. Who knows, maybe he'll become a regular there in 3-4 years (after having had his development stifled considerably).[/quoteThat's his issue we were willing to give the lad time on the pitch rather than time on the bench.

It will plague him for the rest of his career. Wenger must be furious, it was especially bad last night and explains his passing!

I rather think it was add ons that would take it to up to 16m. If he fails Southampton won't get all the 16m.....

All goes to show... have a good agent is key... His is clearly a greedy fool. Chambers could have been a very lucrative proposition in 5 years time had he continued his development instead of bringing it to grinding halt. I am amazed that people still think Theo and Oxo made the right moves... they are a fraction of the players they should be. Arsenal is the graveyard for talent. They are even currently making their established overseas stars looks ordinary... Chambers also looked a bit gormless and was never going to be able to make his own optimal decisions. Do i feel sorry for him ? a bit... he will be rich at the very least for a few years but within 3-5 years will be playing a pedestrian role in the Championship....