Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

True, but it'd be nice to have some real competition for places, and any good professional would understand that .....few players have a guaranteed start place.

If Shane Long can regularly find the sort of form we saw in the Villa game, and JayRod comes back with his goal-form, then our strike force would be truly formidable.

Shane Long won't regularly find that form for two reasons. Firstly, his career is full of isolated high spots ( including a stand out performance for WBA and two good goals v Villa ) sandwiched between goal droughts. Secondly we won't find too many teams as obliging as Villa were that day.

I suspect Rodriguez's abscence has changed peoples perceptions of him, but my recollection is that for all his qualities and attributes, he was not an out and out goalscorer (in the Austin mold), and often his shooting was pretty tame (as was Lallana's) needing three or four efforts before he eventually took one. Rodriguez will offer much going forward, but he's more of an Alan Smith than an Alan Shearer (for those old enough to remember both).

For all our options, we don't have someone who has regularly put the ball in the back of the net through their career. Austin should bring that.

Shane Long won't regularly find that form for two reasons. Firstly, his career is full of isolated high spots ( including a stand out performance for WBA and two good goals v Villa ) sandwiched between goal droughts. Secondly we won't find too many teams as obliging as Villa were that day.

I suspect Rodriguez's abscence has changed peoples perceptions of him, but my recollection is that for all his qualities and attributes, he was not an out and out goalscorer (in the Austin mold), and often his shooting was pretty tame (as was Lallana's) needing three or four efforts before he eventually took one. Rodriguez will offer much going forward, but he's more of an Alan Smith than an Alan Shearer (for those old enough to remember both).

For all our options, we don't have someone who has regularly put the ball in the back of the net through their career. Austin should bring that.

Sorry but nah - Alan Smith was gash compared to where JRod was in terms of fitness and goal threat before he injured himself.

I am warming to Austin and what he can offer the team, mainly because he can actually hit a ball on target from more than 10 yards out.

Definitely right about JRod's finishing. He's capable of the occasional exquisite shot (last season away against Fulham for example) but as a one-on-one finisher in particular, he's never filled me with confidence.

Unless he means the Gooner version of Alan Smith; although he wasn't really mobile thinking about it. The Leeds version of Alan Smith (before he signed for Man Utd and broke his leg) was a quality player; I would say better than JRod (especially as we don't even know how he is going to be when he comes back) and if he were playing now, he would probably cost c£30m.

Austin would be very welcome....a young version of Rickie.

In the sense that he's a young version of any adult human who plays football and is older than him. Other than that there are practically no similarities besides them both trying to score goals.

Unless he means the Gooner version of Alan Smith; although he wasn't really mobile thinking about it. The Leeds version of Alan Smith (before he signed for Man Utd and broke his leg) was a quality player; I would say better than JRod (especially as we don't even know how he is going to be when he comes back) and if he were playing now, he would probably cost c£30m.

Yes it was Smith at Arsenal I referring to, who to be fair has a better scoring record at Arsenal than I thought, of 1 in 3 matches, but still not prolific as Shearer who I'd used in the comparison.

Meaningless data from Wikipedia as below:

Appearances/Goals:

Alan Smith :

1982–1987 Leicester City 200 (76)

1987–1995 Arsenal 264 (86

Shearer:

1988–1992 Southampton 118 (23)

1992–1996 Blackburn Rovers 138 (112)

1996–2006 Newcastle United 303 (148 )

Total 559 (283)

Jay:

2007–2012 Burnley 105 (31)

2008 → Stirling Albion (loan)11 (3)

2010 → Barnsley (loan) 6 (1)

2012–Southampton 68 (21

Austin:

2009–2011Swindon Town 54 (31)

2011–2013Burnley 82 (41)

2013–Queens Park Rangers 66 (35)

Spot on!

Austin or benteke would be great signings for us. As benteke looks to be commanding an absolutely atrocious fee I'm glad we are looking at Austin. He's a very good player. Better than ings as well.

Don't rate ings, too light weight imo

Benteke has everything pace power the lot, but like you said £30m is way too much for a club set up like ours

Would take Austin in a heart beat

Austin or benteke would be great signings for us. As benteke looks to be commanding an absolutely atrocious fee I'm glad we are looking at Austin. He's a very good player. Better than ings as well.

Your opinion mate, not fact. Much as I like Austin I think Ings will prove to be a better player.

In the sense that he's a young version of any adult human who plays football and is older than him. Other than that there are practically no similarities besides them both trying to score goals.

Austin is similar in physique to Lambert; not particularly quick; holds the ball up well; good with his head; good finisher and is English. Quite a few similarities to Ricky, compared to say, Ings, Kane, Crouch, and the Arsenal striker who used to play for Man U whose name I can't remeber.

I think Austin has a lot more mobility than Rickie ever had. I do really rate Austin as a finisher, I think he's a really top striker. As is Vardy (though Austin is more clinical). Both their England call-ups are richly deserved.

I doubt Vardy would be remotely near the England squad if...

Rodriguez

Ings

Kane

Berahino

Sturridge

Welbeck

...were available for these two games.

I doubt Vardy would be remotely near the England squad if...

Rodriguez

Ings

Kane

Berahino

Sturridge

Welbeck

...were available for these two games.

Probably not, but like Andross Townsend, all Vardy has to do is bang in a goal on his debut and Hodgson will include him in his Euro 2016 team!

One season for a team who were bottom of the league until the last few weeks of the season. You know by watching certain players whether they have it in them to progress to the next level, rather than just relying on statistics. Vardy's clearly got it, it's a big shame we didn't get him when we were linked with him when he was at Fleetwood and Saints were in the Championship.

Probably not, but like Andross Townsend, all Vardy has to do is bang in a goal on his debut and Hodgson will include him in his Euro 2016 team!

I think it's a bit fashionable to dislike Townsend, but he's the kind of player other nations would find a way to use properly. VERY direct.

One season for a team who were bottom of the league until the last few weeks of the season. You know by watching certain players whether they have it in them to progress to the next level, rather than just relying on statistics. Vardy's clearly got it, it's a big shame we didn't get him when we were linked with him when he was at Fleetwood and Saints were in the Championship.

Ings scored 11 this season and is 22 years old... to Vardy's 5 goals at 28 years old. Both were in teams in the relegation battle, but Ings was more impressive. Austin is 25 years old, played for a relegated side and scored 18 top flight goals this season.

All three were having their 1st season in the Premier League, Vardy was by far the least impressive and isn't close to the level of player we need.

What are you claiming 28 year old Jamie Vardy has "clearly got" to "progress to the next level" as a centre forward, isn't he leaving it extremely late? Lambert in his first season in the Premier League scored 15 goals, compared to Vardy's 5.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Hunger, pace, fair bit of ability. He battered our defence up there in April.

I think he'll score a lot more goals next season.

Not quite sure what age has to do with it, by the way.

Because a striker at 28 years old should be in his peak years... not scoring 5 league goals in a season.

A striker you deemed not as good (Ings), scored 11 league goals and is 6 years younger. Another striker 3 years younger (Austin) scored 18 league goals. Both of those played for relegated teams so Vardy can't even use playing for Leicester as an excuse.

I think Vardy is similar to Shane Long in that he's very industrious, hassles defenders and creates space for the other attacking players to exploit. Wouldn't say he's a better striker than Welbeck or Ings or even Long but he's a handy player to have in your squad. Can do a job similar to when we played Man City in our first game back in the Prem, played Guly up top on his own and he just chased their defence every second he was on the pitch and tried to force them into making mistakes.

Welbeck?

How many did he score for Sunderland?

What does that have to do with anything? He was a teenager when he was at Sunderland, not 28 years old as Vardy is.

In any case... Welbeck scored 6 goals in 26 Premier League games for Sunderland. So he did better than Vardy did this season! :D

What does that have to do with anything? He was a teenager when he was at Sunderland, not 28 years old as Vardy is.

In any case... Welbeck scored 6 goals in 26 Premier League games for Sunderland. So he did better than Vardy did this season! :D

Your obsession with players' age is baffling.

Vardy didn't score against Saints in April, but he was Leicester's best player on the day by a distance. Bullied Fonte and Alderweireld like hardly anybody else did all season.

Why? Do you not agree striker generally get better with age until they peak in their late 20's? Vardy at 28 should be at his peak and yet a player 6 years younger that you think is worse (Ings) scored more than twice what Vardy did. What do you think Ings will be like at 28?

You then used Welbeck at Sunderland as an example. To prove what exactly? As Welbeck scored more in that loan spell as a 19/20 year old than Vardy did in a season he should be at or near his peak.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Vardy didn't score against Saints in April, but he was Leicester's best player on the day by a distance. Bullied Fonte and Alderweireld like hardly anybody else did all season.

Your obsession with a second-rate Leicester city striker is far more perplexing. He is 28 years old, age makes a difference, you're not that short-sighted to see that. He's got 3 or 4 seasons left in him, and chances are he's not going to get any better than he is already (as mentioned, only 5 goals this season [who started 16 games to Vardy's 26] - the same as Long and one more than Schneiderlin and Tadic).

Austin and Ings both have age on their side and will improve, assuming no big injuries, and are more prolific goal scorers, which are what we need in this squad which has Rodriguez and Long to run at defenders and Pelle holding up play. Vardy would be significantly cheaper, but less beneficial to the team.

I'd agree with that,

I'd really look forward to seeing Charlie playing in red and white, but having more options is the real secret. Shane Long may not be top-rated on here, but he has class.

I hope to see a "renewed" JayRod to get on the score sheet regularly, (although he did struggle for along time) before hitting that " purple patch " prior to his injury.

We need to have quality cover for injuries and suspensions ....and loss of form (ala Pellé) as we lacked both in the period after New Year.

the possibilitiesof choosing from Pellé, JayRod, Long and Austin would surely give Koeman a very pleasant headache, (with Seager and Gallagher on the up).

NOTE; a good example, with you comparing Smith and Shearer (who both had very different qualities), but were successful in their own right..

Edited by david in sweden

Benteke please and break the bank

No, No and NO!!!

I'm not advocating being frugal ... but chucking money about is not the way forwards. Yes we probably need to break our Transfer Fee Record / salary offer to land better than what we already have, but not to the point of recklessness. If you have to offer silly money to encourage a player to come here ..... maybe best not bother. Didn't seem to work out with Osvaldo or Ramirez.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic anyone? AC Milan have offered him a 6.5m euro deal. If we can flog Gashton and Oswowdo We'd still be up on wages. Never played in the premier league before and would love a chance too as well as to be part of something special. The Curva Nord at the San Siro has got nothing on the chapel Kop.

All together now

He stands just over 6 foot 3 zlatan, zlatan

He'll take us to the champions league zlatan, zlatan

He wears the shirt Lee Barnard

He's bigger and just as f*cking hard

Zlatan Ibrahimovic southamptons goal machine

You lot are missing the point. Vardy "bullies" people.

As anyone who watched the Champions League final last night or last summer's world cup will attest, the key to international success is to have a big bully up front. Two banks of four, nice and tight. Couple of speedy wingers who can sling it in. Two mean ****ers in the middle. Nippy little fox in the box and a bully up front.

That's the England team we need to build if we're going to compete with the Spanish and the Germans.

In the mixer! Don't fanny about with it!