Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

Got a feeling that this one will happen. I think we'll probably haggle QPR down a bit.

Have a good feeling about this one if it does happen as well, he's just such a consistent goal scorer. Could be an amazing addition.

£15m IMO steep for a player with one PL season and one year on his contract who is going to be angling to leave a relegated team.

Bearing in mind Berahino is available for just £5m more and is better and younger with more sell on value. But no chance we would spend that on one player.

No complaints on Austin's goal record, but does that come at a slight cost in terms of his ability to be part of a forward line and link well with other players? That side of his game is a lot weaker.

£15m IMO steep for a player with one PL season and one year on his contract who is going to be angling to leave a relegated team.

Bearing in mind Berahino is available for just £5m more and is better and younger with more sell on value. But no chance we would spend that on one player.

No complaints on Austin's goal record, but does that come at a slight cost in terms of his ability to be part of a forward line and link well with other players? That side of his game is a lot weaker.

How do you figure that?

Also Berahino wants a top 6 club Austin might be persuaded to come to a club our size.

£15m is crazy money. If he wasn't English he'd be worth about £6m.

Would be a cracking signing, as long as it doesn't waste to big a chunk of the budget that we're potentially going to need for a RB, CM and a GK

I get Austin is tough up front and will work for a goal but where will he fit in? Will he sit behind Pelle and Long in the pecking order? I'd like to experiment with Long alone up top, sans Pelle.

No way, Jose. He'll duke it out with Pelle (at least he would in my team, with Mane behind). Who knows, with our wingbacks/(early season) crossing addiction, it may be appropriate at times (against mid-bottom table clubs) to play two FWDs (again, with Mane behind). Either way, Long misses out, that much I'm sure of (assuming Long was ever in contention for starting up top/at the point).

Edit: Note, the above is my preference. I suspect (if he signs) he'd play just behind Pelle, with Mane shunted out to a wide.

Edited by Donatello

No way, Jose. He'll duke it out with Pelle (at least he would in my team, with Mane behind). Who knows, with our wingbacks/(early season) crossing addiction, it may be appropriate at times (against mid-bottom table clubs) to play two FWDs (again, with Mane behind). Either way, Long misses out, that much I'm sure of (assuming Long was ever in contention for starting up top/at the point).

Edit: Note, the above is my preference. I suspect (if he signs) he'd play just behind Pelle, with Mane shunted out to a wide.

where does J.Rod fit in?

where does J.Rod fit in?

He doesn't...for now. I wouldn't hand a starting spot to someone who hasn't played in a year. Ultimately, someone's missing out - I can't see Mane, Pelle, J.Rod and Austin in the same lineup (not regularly at least). In the long-term....I think Pelle would miss out (all imo, of course).

P.S How would you play it (them)?

People moaned incessantly about us not buying a striker in January, now we're looking to buy the league's 4th top scorer from last season and people aren't sure... :mcinnes:

He doesn't...for now. I wouldn't hand a starting spot to someone who hasn't played in a year. Ultimately, someone's missing out - I can't see Mane, Pelle, J.Rod and Austin in the same lineup (not regularly at least). In the long-term....I think Pelle would miss out (all imo, of course).

P.S How would you play it (them)?

---------------FORSTER----------------

CLYNE?----FONTE----NEW CB----B'RAND

----------BIG VIC----JWP---------------

JAYROD---------------------------MANE

------------PELLE----AUSTIN-----------

Obviously they won't all play week in, week out but those attacking options can be played together with the likes of Long, Tadic etc on the bench.

£15m only because he is English otherwise £6m?? So how does that stack up against Gaston?

Yes, being English is a reason that is going to add a bit to his price. But more importantly he can show he can score goals in the PL and that is more important. You can take a risk like Abel Hernandez at Hull for £10m who returned 4 goals. Or £6m on another player - sometimes it's hit, sometimes it's miss. But Austin, you sort of know what you are getting.

As for £6m, times have sure moved on. With the new TV deal, and all that money swilling around, a decent striker in contract is NEVER going to go for £6m.

Heard from someone last night (admit I have not seen him for years) that we are going for two England internationals as Les Reed wants to raise the profile and protect the next generation of English players.

I suppose it makes sense to have Clyne, Bertrand, Forster and Austin in the English squad but we have no idea who this 5th person could be?

Richards for Clyne?

Berninho?

Butland?

I don't see what the fuss is about......Austin would be a huge help. We will have several attacking options that have slightly different styles.

Pelle- tall, strong, good in the air

Austin- tall(ish), descent speed, able to link up

Long- fast, relentless

Mane- very fast, descent handling the ball, good shooter

Mayuka- fast......haven't seen much of him.

JRod- tall(ish), good speed, links up very well

Tadic- very good with the ball, good speed, good shooter

Elia- good speed, finds space.........lets face it, we will keep him because he will be cheap

JWP- links up well........technical.........good free kicks (he will grow as a player, but his lack of speed and grit hurts him currently)

Davis- streaky.....might need a new home. He is starting to fit in to the holding mid better then attacking

Gaston- streaky, over paid, lazy. For the right price, he could still fit into the rotation.

Hesketh- feisty, links up well, still too young

McQueen- versatile (being used inside and wide), probably needs more looks

Isgrove- good speed......haven't seen enough of him to give a good report

Gallagher- needs a spell in the championship

Seager- finds space, good shooter, needs for 1st team looks (but we have a log jam up top).

Dujricic- I don't we buy him for 7m(?). Good dribbler, finds space

Osvaldo-.........talented, but not at being a good citizen (not gone yet)

We need: 1)Keeper 2)Center Back (If Toby goes) 3) DMid (If Morgan goes) 4) Right Back (If Clyne goes) 5) Striker (To help rotate with Pelle)

But I'm not the guy who signs players.

Side note, I met Terry Moore this week. He was coaching a camp here in Mississippi (US). I thought it was cool to see a Southampton coach in my part of the world.

People moaned incessantly about us not buying a striker in January, now we're looking to buy the league's 4th top scorer from last season and people aren't sure... :mcinnes:

Obviously they won't all play week in, week out but those attacking options can be played together with the likes of Long, Tadic etc on the bench.

Austin south of £15M would be a relative bargain, and that front four on song would terrorise defences, absolutely terrorise them!

lols at some of the comments, he's scored 17 goals in a poor QPR side, he's young quicker than pellè and if Shane long is worth 12 million then 15 looks a bargain.

Shane Long fee was and still is way over the top as we were desperate.

But fair point.

Its more the contract situation with Austin.

Clyne has one year left and that is going to reduce the fee we get. If thats the same with Austin then if he had 3 years left on his contract would his price be £20m?

I don't think so.

Shane Long fee was and still is way over the top

I wonder if Hull fans (who were probably rubbing their hands together when they received £12m) still think it was an over the top fee... Long would have kept Hull up with his Goals, he would be worth allot more than £12m to them now...

Shane Long fee was and still is way over the top as we were desperate.

But fair point.

Its more the contract situation with Austin.

Clyne has one year left and that is going to reduce the fee we get. If thats the same with Austin then if he had 3 years left on his contract would his price be £20m?

I don't think so.

It was too high, but better than his replacement. £12m for 4 years is better than £10m for 3 years yet I don't hear people saying Hull over paid for Hernandez, which they did.

You think if there was a French/Spanish/German/Italian etc 25 year old who was the 4th top scorer in the Premier League with 18 goals in 35 games for a relegated side... he would be worth £6m?

if he was irish he'd be worth half a shane long.

The relentless boll+cks on here shows no sign of letting up. People moan and whinge we didn't sign a striker in January now we're linked with the 4 highest scorer from last season it's too much, where does he fit in, bleat bleat bleat.

£15m for a 25 year old English striker with 17 premier league goals last season is a good price. 2 of the 3 players that finished above him in the scoring tables last season cost north of £30m and the other was linked with a £40m move to Man United.

He'd be a great addition, a front 3 of Austin, Rodriguez and mane would be excellent. With those 3, Pelle and Long as attacking options we'd have excellent strength in depth up front and the ability to be able to play a few systems.

It was too high, but better than his replacement. £12m for 4 years is better than £10m for 3 years yet I don't hear people saying Hull over paid for Hernandez, which they did.

Probably don't hear about it because Saints fans don't really care what Hull did with the cash we gave them.

One of the reasons we had to pay that for Long was that he had four years left on his recently signed contract.

Austin has one and then he will leave for free so QPR arent in a great bargaining position. £10-£12m probably about right and I doubt they will get £15m when they sell anyway.

Be interesting to see how it develops.

New signing Charlie Austin has a clause in his Southampton contract to join Liverpool in 2016 if they make an offer

Following his decision to join saints . The daily scum sources close to the player confirm this clause in his contract

If this was ever true then us fans would be seething and rightly so :p

I told you all a number of weeks ago that Austin would be signing for us. I do find it a little irritating that you continue to speculate on this matter and that the OP feels the need to start yet another thread on it.

Please just accept the information I have given you and wait until it is confirmed on the OS. If you continue to prattle on like this I will be forced to no longer divulge any further titbits from my ITK database.

Be warned!

No way jwp will play the holding role we will sign someone else. He's not strong enough. He doesn't deserve to be in team after last season.

Agree....Reed would probably be a better option with what we currently and just a shame that he lacks a bit of height (although that never held Scholes back, although he wasn't so defensive). However, if we sell MS, we'll buy a replacement.

The relentless boll+cks on here shows no sign of letting up. People moan and whinge we didn't sign a striker in January now we're linked with the 4 highest scorer from last season it's too much, where does he fit in, bleat bleat bleat.

£15m for a 25 year old English striker with 17 premier league goals last season is a good price. 2 of the 3 players that finished above him in the scoring tables last season cost north of £30m and the other was linked with a £40m move to Man United.

He'd be a great addition, a front 3 of Austin, Rodriguez and mane would be excellent. With those 3, Pelle and Long as attacking options we'd have excellent strength in depth up front and the ability to be able to play a few systems.

Totally agree.

I don't see what the fuss is about......Austin would be a huge help. We will have several attacking options that have slightly different styles.

Pelle- tall, strong, good in the air

Austin- tall(ish), descent speed, able to link up

Long- fast, relentless

Mane- very fast, descent handling the ball, good shooter

Mayuka- fast......haven't seen much of him.

JRod- tall(ish), good speed, links up very well

Tadic- very good with the ball, good speed, good shooter

Elia- good speed, finds space.........lets face it, we will keep him because he will be cheap

JWP- links up well........technical.........good free kicks (he will grow as a player, but his lack of speed and grit hurts him currently)

Davis- streaky.....might need a new home. He is starting to fit in to the holding mid better then attacking

Gaston- streaky, over paid, lazy. For the right price, he could still fit into the rotation.

Hesketh- feisty, links up well, still too young

McQueen- versatile (being used inside and wide), probably needs more looks

Isgrove- good speed......haven't seen enough of him to give a good report

Gallagher- needs a spell in the championship

Seager- finds space, good shooter, needs for 1st team looks (but we have a log jam up top).

Dujricic- I don't we buy him for 7m(?). Good dribbler, finds space

Osvaldo-.........talented, but not at being a good citizen (not gone yet)

We need: 1)Keeper 2)Center Back (If Toby goes) 3) DMid (If Morgan goes) 4) Right Back (If Clyne goes) 5) Striker (To help rotate with Pelle)

But I'm not the guy who signs players.

Side note, I met Terry Moore this week. He was coaching a camp here in Mississippi (US). I thought it was cool to see a Southampton coach in my part of the world.

sorry stopped reading at mayuka

This. He'd be an absolutely good signing and unfortunately 15m is actually probably less than the going rate for English born players these days. I'd go as far as to say it's snip and he would have made the difference for us this season.