Charlie Austin Speculation

Saint-Armstrong

Long isn't good enough to replace Pelle of the first half of the season.

As for Jrod I don't see why he can't hit the ground running. Either he's fully fit or not. He'll have a full pre season and reportedly admitted that he felt stronger and fitter when he signed his new contract. He's not playing with a crutch FFS.

It's not neccecarily just about fitness though. Match sharpness only comes with game-time, knowing the runs of your team mates et.c He had a pretty decent link up with Lambo and Lallana when he last played, that is now totally different and will require a bit of bedding in for him.

I'll agree that he has to get used to new team mates but that will come together in training and barring any setbacks he'll get the same game time as others in pre season. I think he'll be fine.

I think the club expect a decent return, but I just feel like putting a bit of caution on it. If he doesn't start banging the goals in straight away, I get a feeling that there are people waiting behind their keyboards to start up threads like ''He's not the same player'' ''We should have sold him when we had a chance''.

When he first joined us he didn't score until well in October (apart from the 2 goals v Wednesday in the cup). And that was already bringing out the ''he's not good enough'' crap.

Long isn't good enough to replace Pelle of the first half of the season.

As for Jrod I don't see why he can't hit the ground running. Either he's fully fit or not. He'll have a full pre season and reportedly admitted that he felt stronger and fitter when he signed his new contract. He's not playing with a crutch FFS.

Yes, but even a fully firing JRod didn't set the world alight playing down the middle. My big worry is if Graz is injured for any length of time and we have to rely on a combo of Long, Mane, JRod or Juanmi playing as the central striker for a considerable period then we could struggle.

We would have to change the way we play so hopefully Koeman has a contingency as none of our other options have shown they have the ability to replace Pelle through the middle on a long term basis.

As for Gallagher, it's a nice thought, but a club with our level of ambition shouldn't be relying on a kid that has one Premier League goal to his name as back up for our main striker.

That said, we have to trust that the club know what they are doing (although we all saw we were short of a back up keeper last summer and that came back to bite us when FF got injured).

Agree. I think I just wanted us to sign him him because when we saw Pelle go off the boil, we had no-one to directly replace him.

Even though we had plenty of options to indirectly replace him, and Austin wouldn't directly replace him either.

Earlier the Echo were saying we were after him (nicking that from The Express)!

The Moose on TalkSport during the 5 O'clock news said that contrary to reports Southampton has no interest in signing Austin, has made no bid and it's their understanding RK is not in the market for another striker.

Earlier the Echo were saying we were after him (nicking that from The Express)!

No, they gave a roundup of Saints related rumours in other media sources and cited the Express.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/13345704.GOSSIP__Saints_to_tie_up_deals_for_Alderweireld_and_Austin_/?ref=mac

That is not the same as the Echo themselves linking Austin with a bid from Saints.

Yes, but even a fully firing JRod didn't set the world alight playing down the middle. My big worry is if Graz is injured for any length of time and we have to rely on a combo of Long, Mane, JRod or Juanmi playing as the central striker for a considerable period then we could struggle.

We would have to change the way we play so hopefully Koeman has a contingency as none of our other options have shown they have the ability to replace Pelle through the middle on a long term basis.

As for Gallagher, it's a nice thought, but a club with our level of ambition shouldn't be relying on a kid that has one Premier League goal to his name as back up for our main striker.

That said, we have to trust that the club know what they are doing (although we all saw we were short of a back up keeper last summer and that came back to bite us when FF got injured).

Actually I'd quite like to see what a front three of mane, jrod and long could do that's a scary amount of pace up front.

No, they gave a roundup of Saints related rumours in other media sources and cited the Express.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/13345704.GOSSIP__Saints_to_tie_up_deals_for_Alderweireld_and_Austin_/?ref=mac

That is not the same as the Echo themselves linking Austin with a bid from Saints.

I have a phone ap that said Gossip: Saints to tie up deals for Alderweireld and Austin that came from the Daily Echo. When you go into the main text it did say that they have lifted that gossip about Austin from the Express but if I think you would agree that if you just read the ap text it looks like it comes from the Echo. All b*llocks anyway as it transpires.

Whilst i admit he brings much more to the teams overall play than goals, i cant help think why more isnt mentioned about his lack of away goals. we struggled badly in the last half/2 thirds of the season away with goals and although a lot of this time did coincide with his slump i would still see it as a concern. Others may say a direct replacement for Pelle isnt a priority i suggest it is more than we think.

you are right. as much as we all would want austin. and any other season, it would be ideal, I think you are right

Not sure. We tried various attacking combinations to give Pelle a well-earned break because he was getting a bit stale, but goals were generally evaporating. I don't think we should expect JayRod to be an immediate goalscoring machine after such a long layoff following serious injury. And if we are to be able to tempt Toby and others to stay we need to show them how we intend to improve our goals-for tally, otherwise they may well feel the best upward trajectory for them is elsewhere.

I think we've done pretty well with signings-in so far, but feel another top striker would be very beneficial, for the arduous programme ahead.

Get Austin.

Not sure. We tried various attacking combinations to give Pelle a well-earned break because he was getting a bit stale, but goals were generally evaporating. I don't think we should expect JayRod to be an immediate goalscoring machine after such a long layoff following serious injury. And if we are to be able to tempt Toby and others to stay we need to show them how we intend to improve our goals-for tally, otherwise they may well feel the best upward trajectory for them is elsewhere.

I think we've done pretty well with signings-in so far, but feel another top striker would be very beneficial, for the arduous programme ahead.

Get Austin.

Especially as we are also in the Europa League, other English clubs have failed in this this due to having too small squads.

We are not in for Charlie Austin.

Unless something changes dramatically we don't want him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will re-iterate what I stated at the beginning of this thread,and sometime ago....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fair enough, but why did they tell you who we arent signing rather than who we might be interested in?

I have heard from Charlie Austin's uncle that it is a choice between Bournemouth and us. I know I will be slaughtered by some people for posting this but that's the way it is - right or wrong!!

I have heard from Charlie Austin's uncle that it is a choice between Bournemouth and us. I know I will be slaughtered by some people for posting this but that's the way it is - right or wrong!!

That's not a very difficult choice: relegation or European football...

You might get slaughtered from his uncle for revealing your source....

either that or its b@llox

No reason to doubt what you say to be honest, so an interesting twist. Will see how this pans out.

I suspect that if this is true it's old news. We were clearly interested at one point but have moved on. Can't see why the Echo would have been briefed saying we weren't interested if it wasn't true

I suspect that if this is true it's old news. We were clearly interested at one point but have moved on. Can't see why the Echo would have been briefed saying we weren't interested if it wasn't true

Wasn't there a categorical statement from the club saying we aren't and never were interested in signing charlie austin? Quite recently? Might be bargaining tools I suppose, personally I'd like to see him here.

Wasn't there a categorical statement from the club saying we aren't and never were interested in signing charlie austin? Quite recently? Might be bargaining tools I suppose, personally I'd like to see him here.

I don't think the club said anything directly but the Echo carried a story that said just that which people seemed to think came from the club.

How do you know we were clearly interested at one stage?

I would suggest that a CM, CB and back-up RB (if we somehow sign Alderweireld then that's the last two of these sorted at a stroke) are far bigger priorities than another striker.

I like Austin, but Koeman's clearly a big fan of Pelle, so unless Pelle is injured, then Austin would be on the bench if he came to us. He'd be better off at Boscombe, in truth.

For a club outside the top four, and a squad as strong as we have already, a return for SRL would make far more sense than buying Austen for a huge fee.

RL is no doubt p*ssed off warming the bench at Poolofsaints, how do you think he will feel doing the same back here!!?

Top attempt at trolling so far today. But Hey, it's not 9.00 am yet.

In terms of resources and squad set-up it does make sense. He's not saying Lambert is currently the better player than Austin.

I can't see either happening to be honest. We are putting our eggs in one basket a bit with Pellè at the moment, and I'm surprised we didn't go for someone at Juanmi's level, but in a similar footballing style to Pellè. For a club our size and resources, getting a squad that balances is one of the hardest things, much harder than just a very good first XI.