Spinnaker Tower

Lighthouse

I love Pompey fans views on the UAE they obviously have no idea about the place and even funnier is the idea that a boycott of Emirates by Pompey fans is likely to effect them financially!

Emirates who by the way sponsor Arsenal and Real Madrid, have pulled a master stroke here and got as much publicity for this worldwide without having to spend a penny. They always knew that following worldwide exposure on this issue they would pull out before having to spend any money at all. Even funnier that Pompey fans think they stopped it.

Emirates is the best and largest airline worldwide and they are certainly masters of marketing their product, Great they have shown Pompey fans to be the deluded mugs we always knew they were.

Hope Emirates now pull out leaving them with nothing........I mean come on its a classic case of cutting your nose off to spite your face is it not

They'll still sponsor Ben Ainsley's project, all the money will end up with him and is team and the Skates will have a massive red and white edifice, that they can't do anything about without the money to compensate.

They really hate us dont they hahaha

Small man syndrome, they can't stand that we're the traditionally bigger and better supported club on the south coast so it tears them up inside.

You only need to look at how they make things up about us all the time to see they have a massive inferiority complex. It's quite sweet in some ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went across to Pompey today and noticed on the tower that the bottom of the tower is now painted blue and the sides of the sail are now painted a gold colour which is more a yellow which has been our away colours in the past. At the base of the tower all the sunshades and logos are red with white print on them. On the inside of the "legs" which are white is the logo "Emirates Spinnaker Tower" in red. So in a way they are still having quite a bit of red and white and the main part of it is in our past away colours.

Went across to Pompey today and noticed on the tower that the bottom of the tower is now painted blue and the sides of the sail are now painted a gold colour which is more a yellow which has been our away colours in the past. At the base of the tower all the sunshades and logos are red with white print on them. On the inside of the "legs" which are white is the logo "Emirates Spinnaker Tower" in red. So in a way they are still having quite a bit of red and white and the main part of it is in our past away colours.

it is a cheap and nasty small attempted replica of the Burj Al Arab in Dubai which actually changes colour by the hour at night due to very clever lighting the Burj at 335 meters high is a third of the height of Burj Khalifa it is just taller than both the Eiffel Tower and Shard in London and is a fully functioning hotel too. The spinnaker tower is half its height at 170m the last 60 m being an antenna so really only 110m it has no fabric for the sail and contains nothing more than one lift a staircase and viewing gallery 110 m high. They claim it was designed by local Architects to reflect the cities Maritime history but it sure looks like a cheap imitation of Burg Al Arab. Not sure why Emirates wanted to be associated with it really.

it is a cheap and nasty small attempted replica of the Burj Al Arab in Dubai which actually changes colour by the hour at night due to very clever lighting the Burj at 335 meters high is a third of the height of Burj Khalifa it is just taller than both the Eiffel Tower and Shard in London and is a fully functioning hotel too. The spinnaker tower is half its height at 170m the last 60 m being an antenna so really only 110m it has no fabric for the sail and contains nothing more than one lift a staircase and viewing gallery 110 m high. They claim it was designed by local Architects to reflect the cities Maritime history but it sure looks like a cheap imitation of Burg Al Arab. Not sure why Emirates wanted to be associated with it really.

Controversially (for a Saints fan), I think it's quite a good symbol for a port and just high enough to have a decent view. Would have loved them to build something like that in Southampton to welcome the cruise liners in.

Controversially (for a Saints fan), I think it's quite a good symbol for a port and just high enough to have a decent view. Would have loved them to build something like that in Southampton to welcome the cruise liners in.

I agree, particularly as it represents a Southampton invention.

'William Gordon's Spinnaker'

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cyg7AwAAQBAJ&pg=PT78&lpg=PT78&dq=william+gordon+spinnaker&source=bl&ots=tyZkV3b4-9&sig=HECZ0W41oI279GA8K02Hvt7R5HE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAmoVChMIkc-cuenhxwIVqgfbCh18tQJ7#v=onepage&q&f=true

http://www.diaperheritage.com/exhibition/at_sea/index.php

http://oxfordindex.oup.com/view/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100523889

Came in on a ferry from France late last night (wearing a Saints shirt). The spinnaker tower has become an icon for the city, and much as it pains me to say it, does look good.

There has been lots of talk in the past of having a supersized spitfire in Mayflower park. Has this died a death? Anyone know?

Came in on a ferry from France late last night (wearing a Saints shirt). The spinnaker tower has become an icon for the city, and much as it pains me to say it, does look good.

There has been lots of talk in the past of having a supersized spitfire in Mayflower park. Has this died a death? Anyone know?

The Queen Mary back in Southampton would be better in my opinion.