CONFIRMED: Cédric to Saints on four-year deal

JxgrSaint

@andybrassell: Sporting right-back Cédric set for Southampton, rather than Stoke (hey, it's all red and white stripes, right?), says @ojogo. €5m fee.

Bye bye Clyne, then...

Original article from O Jogo: image.jpg

Edited by JxgrSaint

@andybrassell: Sporting right-back Cédric set for Southampton, rather than Stoke (hey, it's all red and white stripes, right?), says @ojogo. €5m fee.

Bye bye Clyne, then...

Original article from O Jogo: [ATTACH=CONFIG]1698[/ATTACH]

Would be a shame to see Clyne leave but 15m (ish - I hope) profit would soften the blow

To be honest, from what I've read up on him - mainly when I saw the stoke links - he sounds like a bit of a player. He's apparently attracted the attention of major club scouts this season, and Leverkusen were interested to a point. For what would be £3.5m, it's a bit of a snip to be honest. Not entirely sure what level his defending is, but he's a very good attacking full back, which is why all the top clubs have been sniffing - seeing as that's the way to play now.

When i was reading articles on him re: Stoke's interest, it was described as quite a coup for them, due to his rising profile in club and international football (he's only 22). The deal to Stoke did seem done and dusted at some point, but we've obviously come in at the last hour with a counter offer out of the blue - which makes me wonder if the club know something else is about to happen.

But I still remember Reed saying we need 2 RB's, so who knows. But this guy can also play right wing, so could add versatility in that sense.

"Looks amazing on YouTube"

:lol:

YouTube can make anyone look good.

Because it's so selective. I mean if they made a compilation of Shelvey long shots to the top corner you'd think great, then if they made another one with the 15 or 16 that end up in Row Z for each one that doesn't you'd think what a pile of shîte.

I mean Steve De ridder looked good on YouTube right? And Tadanari Lee, probably even Mayuka as well..

To be honest, from what I've read up on him - mainly when I saw the stoke links - he sounds like a bit of a player. He's apparently attracted the attention of major club scouts this season, and Leverkusen were interested to a point. For what would be £3.5m, it's a bit of a snip to be honest. Not entirely sure what level his defending is, but he's a very good attacking full back, which is why all the top clubs have been sniffing - seeing as that's the way to play now.

When i was reading articles on him re: Stoke's interest, it was described as quite a coup for them, due to his rising profile in club and international football (he's only 22). The deal to Stoke did seem done and dusted at some point, but we've obviously come in at the last hour with a counter offer out of the blue - which makes me wonder if the club know something else is about to happen.

But I still remember Reed saying we need 2 RB's, so who knows. But this guy can also play right wing, so could add versatility in that sense.

That to me is exactly the case. If anything, this indicates we are not confident on getting Toby and are buying in that second RB. If Clyne does go, we will need another RB.

Why? Who is better? He should get games at Arsenal, Utd, Liverpool, maybe even chelsea and city as ivanovic and zabaleta get on a bit.

Shaw and Lallana should get games at their respective clubs as well but they don't play anywhere near as much as they were before they moved.

That to me is exactly the case. If anything, this indicates we are not confident on getting Toby and are buying in that second RB. If Clyne does go, we will need another RB.

Yes, very true. Toby was actually bought in as our backup RB last year, as well as a CB, so safe to assume we will need a RB whatever Clyne's situation.

I heard an interview on Sky from Toby, he seems to think he'll know more about his future after the internationals. He said he is going back to Spain to start with and he will then weigh up what's on offer. So pretty much confirmation that At.Madrid have bought out our clause and will try to sell to the highest bidder.

Yes, very true. Toby was actually bought in as our backup RB last year, as well as a CB, so safe to assume we will need a RB whatever Clyne's situation.

I heard an interview on Sky from Toby, he seems to think he'll know more about his future after the internationals. He said he is going back to Spain to start with and he will then weigh up what's on offer. So pretty much confirmation that At.Madrid have bought out our clause and will try to sell to the highest bidder.

I saw a quote from him yesterday about the Welsh chances of qualifying and the article said he was a Ath. Madrid player so make of that what you will.

Well unless you're Nathaniel Clyne of course I can't see that that would make all that much difference.

that's why I said 'I would rather'. My point was that I personally would prefer to see him at United than Liverpool. Of course you knew that but couldn't miss an opportunity to be a cunt

The problem is, a player gives an interview, gets asked 'who would you like to play for' and then the media cherry pick his answer and go into immediate meltdown declaring that his statement of ' well I wouldn't mind playing for X Y or Z to be the gospel truth.

Then add in the website that depend on adverts for their income and they will say literally ANYTHING to get you to visit their page

Add in a large dose of gullibility

And you have these kinds of stories on Twitter.

After the quote from Le Tiss (I believe it was in his autobiography) about men called Rupert shouldn't be in football, when I heard about Soares I wondered whether there had been many Cedrics. I'd completely forgotten we actually had one on our books not so long ago in Basseya. If we sign Soares, I wonder if we'd be the first team to have had two Cedrics on the books...

After the quote from Le Tiss (I believe it was in his autobiography) about men called Rupert shouldn't be in football, when I heard about Soares I wondered whether there had been many Cedrics. I'd completely forgotten we actually had one on our books not so long ago in Basseya. If we sign Soares, I wonder if we'd be the first team to have had two Cedrics on the books...

I always though The Rupert quote was by Souness not MLT ?

He won't sit on the bench, he is a really good player (as any Saints fan knows).

We said the same about Shaw, lovren, Chambers and Lallana last season and not one of them showed the form, they did for us last season, at their new clubs this season. Clyne couldn't even get into the England starting line up ahead of Phil Jones. Being a good player isn't always enough when you're at big club surrounded by good players.

Edited by doddisalegend

http://www.record.xl.pt/Futebol/Nacional/1a_liga/Sporting/interior.aspx?content_id=954418

Portuguese to Google translation

The transfer of Cédric for Southampton may be closed at any time. Although there remain details to discuss, the truth is that there should no longer be a setback in the negotiations able to prevent the parties to reach agreement.

As Record reported in its Tuesday edition, the Saints improved the proposal of Stoke City, which was around 3.5 million euros, and are willing to pay close to 5 million euros for the signing of right-back, who It is concentrated in the work of the National Team.

Cédric has just one season contract with Sporting and this makes Lions agree to negotiate the player without forcing the requirements. The danger of the sweater 41 out of Alvalade zero real cost would be from January, when, from a legal point of view, became free and could commit to any club without the green and white emblem was entitled to any financial compensation. Negotiations for the renewal were open until a few days ago, but the offer of Southampton did suspend the talks. Cédric is now determined to leave, responding to what was a requirement of the Saints coach, Ronald Koeman.

While continuing to hit business details, Sporting tempted by the numbers of the proposal and should no longer obstruct the desire of the defense to leave.

Looks like Cédric will be our first signing of the summer.

Sounds very close. Would think it also brings to a close Clyne's time at Saints as Krueger has been clear we won't spend loads this summer and an Intl RB who has played in the Champions League surely doesn't sign for €7m and only play bit part.

We should get a decent replacement for Clyne and have money to spend on other players, including another RB who is happy to be a backup/cup player.

Edited by Saint Charlie