Grzegorz Krychowiak

Aziz Yebda

Why?

Assuming we don't also sell VW, I can't see the club thinking that spending in the mid-to-high teens for a defensive midfielder is going to give us the best return. Would expect us only to go above that 10-12m level in pursuit of an attacking/creative player.

Assuming we don't also sell VW, I can't see the club thinking that spending in the mid-to-high teens for a defensive midfielder is going to give us the best return. Would expect us only to go above that 10-12m level in pursuit of an attacking/creative player.

So you think in fact that we can get a player of equal quality for half of the price. No wonder no side is falling over itself to meet our valuation then when there's as good for half of it available.

So you think in fact that we can get a player of equal quality for half of the price. No wonder no side is falling over itself to meet our valuation then when there's as good for half of it available.

Why the "So.."? Different clubs will value players differently. Are you saying it's impossible to sell a player for lots of money and get an equal replacement for less?

Have you not watched our transfer dealings recently? Luke Shaw/Ryan Bertrand springs to mind. I guess that one escaped your attention?

I didn't say anything of the sort. I just said that recently we've been extremely lucky to have two top class DMs in the team, and it's unlikely that we'll replace MS like-for-like in order to maintain that when most clubs seem to make do with one. If he goes, he'll be replaced by someone from a lesser league, with a lesser price-tag who will hopefully go on to increase their value. Expensive DMs are a luxury only the very richest clubs can afford.

Why the "So.."? Different clubs will value players differently. Are you saying it's impossible to sell a player for lots of money and get an equal replacement for less?

Have you not watched our transfer dealings recently? Luke Shaw/Ryan Bertrand springs to mind. I guess that one escaped your attention?

It certainly didn't but Shaw was never worth the price Utd paid for him, he had nothing about him to warrant such a fee except a lot of press hype. Bertrand was always the far better player and Utd should have bought him and not sick note Shaw. Perhaps that's Morgan's case as well..overated and overpriced.

It certainly didn't but Shaw was never worth the price Utd paid for him, he had nothing about him to warrant such a fee except a lot of press hype. Bertrand was always the far better player and Utd should have bought him and not sick note Shaw. Perhaps that's Morgan's case as well..overated and overpriced.

That's clearly nonsense. Morgan isn't overrated

That's clearly nonsense. Morgan isn't overrated

Evidently not, but if we can get as good for half of the price he's obviously overpriced. Although money is awash in the PL nowadays clubs are starting to think twice about silly transfers and to rate a 25 million £ fee you need to have something that Morgan doesn't have... European level Club Experience. We sold too many busts last season to get away with it again...unfortunately for the player. If we're not prepared to drop our fee by at least 5 million I think he might still be here next season and that may well affect him adversely. We rate an Europa League winner at 9 million and yet we're asking 25 for a player who's never even had a sniff of European football.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Easy to say with a season's hindsight. The fact still remains that it is possible to sell a player and buy as good or better for less, contrary to what you said in post 13.

Easy to say with a season's hindsight. The fact still remains that it is possible to sell a player and buy as good or better for less, contrary to what you said in post 13.

Hindsight be arsed, I said last summer that Shaw wasn't worth the fee being asked for him, in fact I said no-one would pay it, Utd just got rolled over on him. Shaw can't defend correctly and can't seem to do anything useful with the ball when he gets forward. Perhaps he's just not too intelligent.

Evidently not, but if we can get as good for half of the price he's obviously overpriced.

Well we don't really want to sell him and he's got plenty of contract left, so plenty of the value will come from the remaining contract rather than the actual skill of the player.

I keep looking at Euro 2016 being in France and Schneiderlin being top of the +/- goal stats and wondering how we're going to come close to replacing him.

Hindsight be arsed, I said last summer that Shaw wasn't worth the fee being asked for him, in fact I said no-one would pay it, Utd just got rolled over on him. Shaw can't defend correctly and can't seem to do anything useful with the ball when he gets forward. Perhaps he's just not too intelligent.

He's still only 19 though, Bertrand is 26 in a few months so he's going to look good in comparison because he's got several seasons' more experience than Shaw does. Luke will be a better player than Ryan is now, although i'm very happy with how that particular transfer turned out for us as we have a very capable replacement and made a f*ckload of cash out of selling Shaw.

As for Krychowiak, I would pay up to £20m for him. We need a marquee signing in the summer and Morgan is one of our most important players so it's important that we replace him with somebody of similar quality. We're in a financial position now where we can afford to spend what we earn from transfers, so I would be open to investing all the money from the Morgan deal (when it happens) into finding a good enough replacement for him to make it a seamless transition. This guy seems to fit the bill in that respect.

Well we don't really want to sell him and he's got plenty of contract left, so plenty of the value will come from the remaining contract rather than the actual skill of the player.

I keep looking at Euro 2016 being in France and Schneiderlin being top of the +/- goal stats and wondering how we're going to come close to replacing him.

In fact I think we do want to sell him...we just say we don't. Or perhaps Reed doesn't particularly want to sell him but Koeman does, there seem have been mixed messages from some of their soundbites.

In fact I think we do want to sell him...we just say we don't. Or perhaps Reed doesn't particularly want to sell him but Koeman does, there seem have been mixed messages from some of their soundbites.

Maybe Reed just thinks he is a very good player who we should keep - whilst Koeman sees that he really wants away and its better that he goes. Both of those are reasonable positions.

Maybe Reed just thinks he is a very good player who we should keep - whilst Koeman sees that he really wants away and its better that he goes. Both of those are reasonable positions.

And koeman gets to bring in his own midfield General, more of his stamp on the team.

Evidently not, but if we can get as good for half of the price he's obviously overpriced. Although money is awash in the PL nowadays clubs are starting to think twice about silly transfers and to rate a 25 million £ fee you need to have something that Morgan doesn't have... European level Club Experience. We sold too many busts last season to get away with it again...unfortunately for the player. If we're not prepared to drop our fee by at least 5 million I think he might still be here next season and that may well affect him adversely. We rate an Europa League winner at 9 million and yet we're asking 25 for a player who's never even had a sniff of European football.
Interesting point. I think the perception that Southampton players sold last summer flopped with the "big clubs" may be giving the big clubs some pause when it comes to Schneiderlin and maybe even Clyne. Maybe thinking they are thinking these players may look better than they are because they are "big fish in a little pond"

I am not saying it is necessarily true, but combine the snobby mentality of the "big clubs" with the generally disappointing performances of our summer defectors, and this might be a prevalent sentiment currently of Southampton players.

Interesting point. I think the perception that Southampton players sold last summer flopped with the "big clubs" may be giving the big clubs some pause when it comes to Schneiderlin and maybe even Clyne. Maybe thinking they are thinking these players may look better than they are because they are "big fish in a little pond"

I am not saying it is necessarily true, but combine the snobby mentality of the "big clubs" with the generally disappointing performances of our summer defectors, and this might be a prevalent sentiment currently of Southampton players.

At the end of the day with Morgan it may well come down to who we're prepared to accept in part exchange from Utd.

They still want him but are thinking over the fee.......apparently.

I would suggest that it is "nearly as good". You pay a lot for the narrow margins between a good player and a slightly better player.

maybe they should be thinking that there is something wrong with their managers rather than our players.

ha, ha, ha.

In other news, not that we're going to get him because it would be replacing schneiderlin for a similar value/skill, which we never do over buying cheaper and training up.

Would be immense though

You're probably right, I guess they would have to factor in the possible increase in value for the outlay, difficult to do so if he wont be tested in Champions League for the foreseeable.