Summer Transfer Window 2015

Donatello

Right, so I know it's not *directly* Saints related, but surely the most pedantic of you understand that the transfer business of other domestic clubs impacts upon us. For this reason, I propose a general transfer window thread (encompassing the rest of the league and other transfers which may affect us next season), namely because I foresee Sterling talk exploding on the HCDAJFU thread.

Liverpool reject a £25-30m from Manchester City for Raheem Sterling.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33104367

Have Liverpool not got any money left after giving it all to us last year?? Two free transfers so far and trying to get Ings for as little as possible it seems.

They are going for volume it seems. Quantity over quality.

Edited by Plastic

They are going for volume it seems. Quantity over quality.

To be fair Milner and Ings are excellent signings who just happened to be available at the end of their contracts. Trouble is you can only get that sort of players for free (or significantly less because it's a tribunal that decides) if you are prepared to pay the type of salary that few clubs can.

To be fair Milner and Ings are excellent signings who just happened to be available at the end of their contracts. Trouble is you can only get that sort of players for free (or significantly less because it's a tribunal that decides) if you are prepared to pay the type of salary that few clubs can.

Yes good players and fair points. I was thinking about their strange habit of stockpiling mediocre strikers, they have about 10 on the books at the moment.

Hopefully Borini and Balotelli will refuse to leave so they will be stuck with all these mediocre strikers and an injured Sturridge, not Lambert though I want him to move on for the sake of his short career left. Also Ings also has the potential to be injured often so hopefully they'll have to start the season with Balotelli and Borini anyway :lol:

we should all know by now Saints do their business quietly.....the press/agents want to link us with everyone under the sun and we might end up signing someone that someone vaguely linked us to......throw enough **** and eventually some will stick. None of us know who is on our shopping list, we just have a reasonable idea what positions need to be filled, the rest is just pure speculation. I trust the club totally to sign players that will improve us and will be happy to only hear anything when the new players have officially signed and are wearing the "watch"!

It's getting to the stage where everyone will start moaning about all the great signings teams around us are making whilst we have signed no one. I'll be keeping the faith in Les Reed

I don't see anyone making great signings, nor get a sense that anyone is even close to moaning about Reed.

It's getting to the stage where everyone will start moaning about all the great signings teams around us are making whilst we have signed no one. I'll be keeping the faith in Les Reed

I think we're at a stage right now where we want to know who will stay and who will leave before buying any players. I think once Clyne and Toby's deals are sorted, we will be on the market. I think it's likely Morgan will be off.

I expect transfer transactions will start getting cranked up from next week onwards. We're roughly half way through the summer break and most involved will be done with their holidays. Internationals will be finished apart from in South America

and business will be got on with. You only have to look at the crap being peddled on myriads of transfer news sites to see that just now nothing much is really happening.

It's getting to the stage where everyone will start moaning about all the great signings teams around us are making whilst we have signed no one.

I'll be keeping the faith in Les Reed

yes I noticed that....time to get out the rubber sheets and buy in some new Pampers ....:scared: and it's not even 1st July yet......

If Pompey signed Micah Richards would that be an "average signing"? He'd be easily their best player.

Which is why I asked what the definition of an "average signing" is.

I think it is safe to assume we are talking about a medium level premier league side when passing judgement here

What is your definition of an "average signing"?

It's reasonably self explanatory I'd have thought.

I predict he will do OK, but not particularly improve the Villa team. He is a lower-mid table, flirting with relegation type Premier League player and therefore for a club in their position is, in my opinion, an average signing.

If he was a good signing he would be someone who would improve their squad (like Alderweireld for us) if he was a bad signing he would make little or no difference (ie Gardos for us).

I hope that helps explain my original post, however I suspect, for some reason, it may not.

It's reasonably self explanatory I'd have thought.

I predict he will do OK, but not particularly improve the Villa team. He is a lower-mid table, flirting with relegation type Premier League player and therefore for a club in their position is, in my opinion, an average signing.

If he was a good signing he would be someone who would improve their squad (like Alderweireld for us) if he was a bad signing he would make little or no difference (ie Gardos for us).

I hope that helps explain my original post, however I suspect, for some reason, it may not.

I don't think it is fair to call Gardos a bad signing. In effect, he replaced Hooiveld, Stephens, or Turnbull. He was better than the first (if not as charismatic). He was probably better than the latter two who were, in any case, better off playing full time on loan where they did very well.

Gardos.

Prem games was used for (first one just one minute but rest played decent amount)

Newcastle home won 4-0

Swansea away won 1-0

Crystal palace away won 3-1

Chelsea home drew 1-1

Arsenal home won 2-0

Man u away won 1-0

Newcastle away won 2-1

QPR home won 1-0

West ham home 0-0

Wba away lost 1-0

Won 7 drawn 2, lost 1, f15 , a4?

As 4th choice, suggests good cover

I don't think it is fair to call Gardos a bad signing. In effect, he replaced Hooiveld, Stephens, or Turnbull. He was better than the first (if not as charismatic). He was probably better than the latter two who were, in any case, better off playing full time on loan where they did very well.

Exactly. He provides good quality cover. If we didn't have him people would be saying (rightly) the squad is too thin and we need someone like him.

I have to be careful worth my opinions these day for fear of infractions. I will be making less statements in an approved bland style.

I think you should feel free to make more statements in an approved bland style. Why restrain yourself?

I think Gardos has done ok. A couple of clumsy moments, but he was oustanding im the game at Old Trafford. I'd be happy to see him play regularly in the Europa League next season. It will be interesting to see if we have anyone lined up to replace Toby.

I quite like him, think he'll improve and has put in some decent performances. Always takes time it's a hell of a step up for him. Lot of games next season, hope he stays and he should start a fair bit.

He also came to us injured so was always playing catch up. It's not easy playing a few minutes here or there and he never really got a decent run of games. Had a couple of dodgy games but I have seen far worse in a Saints shirt in central defence........mind you having seen Ollie Lancashire play for Saints that might be a back handed compliment :)

I have to be careful worth my opinions these day for fear of infractions. I will be making less statements in an approved bland style.

oh that's a pity Dalek. :( Some of us enjoy a bit of controversy on this " sometimes bland " site.

However, it's good to remember that Saints have rarely signed players in panic after July 1st. Even last years exodus didn't bring a rush of signings until early August.

:rule1: Patience is a virtue. As long as the players that we do get CDAJFU....I don't care when they sign......

oh that's a pity Dalek. :( Some of us enjoy a bit of controversy on this " sometimes bland " site.

However, it's good to remember that Saints have rarely signed players in panic after July 1st. Even last years exodus didn't bring a rush of signings until early August.

:rule1: Patience is a virtue. As long as the players that we do get CDAJFU....I don't care when they sign......

Yes, I am sure that all our signings have been identified and will arrive as we planned.

Next season will throw up new challenges for the club, combining European competition and a competitive Premier League programme. It will be fascinating to see how well we do and is sure to provide excitement and drama for all.

OK maybe Gardos wasn't the best example. He was pretty bad in a few games though, Sheff Utd and West Brom away spring to mind (although, yes, no one played great in either of those)

Can I choose Forren instead please?

Yes, I am sure that all our signings have been identified and will arrive as we planned.

Next season will throw up new challenges for the club, combining European competition and a competitive Premier League programme. It will be fascinating to see how well we do and is sure to provide excitement and drama for all.

Fantastic response Dalek, Congratulations ! :toppa: ....... you must have listened to one of Ralph Kreuger's peptalks.

Very bland.