England Team Tonight

mattsbignose

We are a good, not great, side. We achieve about what we should expect to do. We are, as it goes, the best team in qualifying if you take the stats for what they are. We have some decent young players in and around the side.

The Netherlands has a population of just 16.8 million, Germamy 80, France 66, Italy 59, and Spain 47. England has a population of 53 million we haven't made the semis of a world cup in 24 years that is not achieving what we should do. Something is very wrong with the game in this country, well not something, many things.

If there's one incident which totally sums up England it's Calum Chambers. Didn't get a look in after a string of very good performances for Saints two years ago. Then last season he signs for Arsenal and bang, straight into the England team after two games. The team is riddled with that kind of thing. Rooney on the left side at the World Cup instead of Lallana. Utterly bizarre.

The Netherlands has a population of just 16.8 million' date=' Germamy 80, France 66, Italy 59, and Spain 47. England has a population of 53 million we haven't made the semis of a world cup in 24 years that is not achieving what we should do. Something is very wrong with the game in this country, well not something, many things.[/quote']

That is absurd logic. Why are China, Russia and the USA not in your figures?

Simply not how it works. We all know there are issues with our national game but why people expect us to be all conquering despite these issues is beyond me!

Simply not how it works. We all know there are issues with our national game but why people expect us to be all conquering despite these issues is beyond me!

Not the national sport in 2 of those countries, granted Russia's disappointing record is a conundrum, I chose those countries because they are European, have similar sized populations and historically strong domestic league competitions. Since England last graced a semi final 4 of those 5 have won the competition, Italy, France and Germany have been in 2 finals each. Other national teams that have made the world cup semis since England last did include Sweden, Bulgaria, South Korea, Turkey, Croatia, Uruguay. We are not performing as well as we should be, I don't expect us to be all conquering but it's a similar record in the Euros, it's poor stuff!

You do not think England are perennial under performers?

Holland are supposed to be all that's good about football. How many World Cups have they won?

Been in more finals than England, France or Spain. They've also won the Euros and we've never made the final it that.

Edited by krissyboy31

Bit strange that Clyne has been dropped really. Must have looked poor in training.

Nope- it's obvious why Roy didn't give Clyne a game. It's because he isn't at a top 4 club. Roy has told him that to play- you have to go to Man U.

So basically, Roy is integral to helping the top 4 clubs tap up our players, and ultimately, means Clyne will leave.

#andrantover

Lol soz guys im just pis*ed off and angry and literally that was my thinking right now. I actually hope we lose- Roy needs to go. Simple as that.

Always worth a laugh this forum and the #Saintsfc hashtag on twitter at England games.

If RH doesn't select the who Saints team he's clueless....[/quote

My original post was a little bit insular but the main point was that you have two fullbacks who can't get a game at their own clubs yet are deemed better for England than two regular starters. If I am wrong, then Roy needs to have a word with LVG to tell him he doesn't need to buy Clyne as he has a better option already at United!

Always worth a laugh this forum and the #Saintsfc hashtag on twitter at England games.

If RH doesn't select the who Saints team he's clueless....

Are you implying Jones and Gibbs deserve to start ahead of Clyne and Bertrand?

Holland are supposed to be all that's good about football. How many World Cups have they won?

In the half a century since England made the final of anything, the Dutch have been WC runners up three times and came third once.

They've also won the Euros and been in the semis four times compared to our record of zero wins and two semis.

Their record sh*ts all over England's.

At this point I'm actually rooting for Slovenia so Hodgson will get the sack.

That won't happen, it should have done after the Brazil debacle. What will happen is that we will qualify (via an easy group), then be a total disaster at a major tournament again at which point the FA will call for yet another "root and branches" review of English football (nothing will change as usual).

So many average players in this England side - picked by the arch-dinosaur Hodgson.

That's the thing through, I don't think they are average and Hodgson was a decent manager at Fulham and West Brom. Everyone associated with England seems to under-perform and it's been like that for a long time. We aren't a world beating team but the likes of Rooney are far better than the performances the churn out for the national side.

I don't know if it's some ingrained coaching philosophy or just the pressure and psychology of playing for the national side but something is rotten to the core with our whole set up. Our tactics and organisation just aren't their collectively. It always just seems to be bodging the biggest name players who play for the big clubs into whichever formation is fashionable.

If RH doesn't select the who Saints team he's clueless....[/quote

My original post was a little bit insular but the main point was that you have two fullbacks who can't get a game at their own clubs yet are deemed better for England than two regular starters. If I am wrong, then Roy needs to have a word with LVG to tell him he doesn't need to buy Clyne as he has a better option already at United!

This, and to make it worse Jones taken off at half time and we'll try Henderson at right back. :facepalm: