Football Graffiti

spyinthesky

Generally a bit of an eyesore and often wonder what risks people take to plant their tags in dangerous positions

That said, when I was younger, graffiti had a message rather than being rather meaningless like today

A couple of Saints related ones I can remember were:

'Roxy Saints Do the Strand' - in Priory Rd (St Denys)

'Docherty Shut Your Mouth As The Cup Is Coming South' - Think this was in the Portswood area (This was turned into a chant at the '76 Cup Final)

At the Charity Shield game v Liverpool in 1976 there was quite a large spray painted message on the side of one of the Wembley stands saying..

.............'Harefield and Thornhill welcome Weston ******s'.........

Obviously a bit of local ill feeling abroad that day!!!

A good one at a church not far from Anfield

A poster said ... 'What would you do if Jesus came back?

Underneath some wag had written...'Move St John to inside right'....

Couple of general ones were:

'Cut The Call Up' - on the external concrete way on the downside at Soton Central (for many years)

'Dubcek Lives' (I think this is correct) on a wall going to the 'White Swan' pub at Mansbridge (that was there for many years too)

Apologies but above is only relevant to those of a 'certain age'

'Roxy Saints Do the Strand' - in Priory Rd (St Denys)

That was also on the walls of the underpass between Central Hall and the East Street Centre along with many more. Of course that included ' Hari and Al' that popped up everywhere.

Throughout the 70s (something like) 'Beware Southampton Killer Chaps' adorned the walls of the train tunnel under 6 Dials to welcome visitors arriving by rail.

And there was the Le Tiss for England one in Canute Road, did it have a pop at Venables?