The Official Saints European Tour 2015 / 16 Thread - Died Peacefully 27/08/2015

Marsdinho

Obviously, this could be a bit short lived, especially now that I have started this thread....anyway.

I'm a bit of a nerd at times, and have a particular interest in maps / geography etc; so, over the last week or so, I have mapped all of the grounds of the teams taking part in this season's Europa League (I know, its sad!) If you click on the link below, you should be able to see the locations in Google Maps.

Some of the locations may be incorrect, if a team has built a new ground recently, or they play in a different stadium for Euro games for example. I am prepared to be MLG'd on this and will try and correct any mistakes. As I was doing it, I did think that (once we know who we are playing) it may be useful in planning travel, or even finding where hotels / pubs are in relation to the ground etc.

Like I say, it may of use to some....

Some "interesting" observations:

- Sturm Graz have a Hooters attached to the stadium!

- FC Batumi's ground is about 100 meters from the black sea, bring your Speedo's.

- FC Kairat is only about 270 kms from China, and is further away than most of Iran and Afghanistan!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z-oVzRKP0zxY.kq10sHl2JPmk&usp=sharing

I'll try and keep it updated as the tournament progresses and may include extra data like hotels, pubs etc once we have more details. I guess this thread could be where we share any travel info we may find, like hotel deals, flights, trains, boats etc.

Obviously, this could be a bit short lived, especially now that I have started this thread....anyway.

I'm a bit of a nerd at times, and have a particular interest in maps / geography etc; so, over the last week or so, I have mapped all of the grounds of the teams taking part in this season's Europa League (I know, its sad!) If you click on the link below, you should be able to see the locations in Google Maps.

Some of the locations may be incorrect, if a team has built a new ground recently, or they play in a different stadium for Euro games for example. I am prepared to be MLG'd on this and will try and correct any mistakes. As I was doing it, I did think that (once we know who we are playing) it may be useful in planning travel, or even finding where hotels / pubs are in relation to the ground etc.

- FC Batumi's ground is about 100 meters from the black sea, bring your Speedo's.

- FC Kairat is only about 270 kms from China, and is further away than most of Iran and Afghanistan!

I'll try and keep it updated as the tournament progresses and may include extra data like hotels, pubs etc once we have more details. I guess this thread could be where we share any travel info we may find, like hotel deals, flights, trains, boats etc.

Fair play, that is good.

Are you going to update that after each round?

Near on impossible! We might get a bit more of a clearer picture of who's likely to be in our draw after tomorrow's 1st and 2nd round draws.

Following on from that, the Wikipedia page has been really well updated to show who will be seeded in the 3rd round. Useful.

Quite fancy a trip to Almaty and quite fancy Kairat, seeing as I'm managing them to glory on FM15. Yagshemash.

If we're lucky it will coincide with Almaty folk festival and we can take in Right Said Fred and Corky Bulzseck whilst we're there.

Not sure I fancy Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona F.C to be honest.

One of the more likely opponents at the moment as it happens, they're already in the 3QR AND they're already unseeded whilst we're seeded.

I'd just like to extend a massive thanks to the OP for doing this, the mentalist. :)

Here's a list of the teams in the 3QR we CAN'T play in that round:

Germany Borussia Dortmund CC: 99.883

Russia Rubin Kazan CC: 57.099

Spain Athletic Bilbao CC: 56.999

Netherlands AZ CC: 46.695

Winners of match involving Denmark Copenhagen CC: 40.960

Winners of match involving Greece PAOK CC: 40.880

Winners of match involving Turkey Trabzonspor CC: 36.520

Belgium Standard Liège CC: 25.440

Winners of match involving Poland Legia Warsaw CC: 24.800

France Bordeaux CC: 24.483

Italy Sampdoria CC: 18.102

Portugal Vitória de Guimarães CC: 17.776

France Saint-Étienne CC: 16.983

Switzerland Zürich CC: 16.875

Czech Republic Slovan Liberec CC: 16.325

England Southampton CC: 16.078 (obviously)

Russia Krasnodar CC: 15.099

Winners of match involving Croatia Rijeka CC: 13.700

Portugal Belenenses CC: 12.276

Ukraine Vorskla Poltava CC: 11.033

Ukraine Zorya Luhansk CC: 10.533

Greece Atromitos CC: 10.380

And here are the teams we are more likely to be playing (lots of TBCs here due to the unseeded sides mostly coming from 2QR):

Unseeded teams

Winners of match involving Poland Śląsk Wrocław or first round opponent CC: ≤8.800

Winners of match involving Slovakia Žilina or first round opponent CC: ≤8.750

Winners of match involving Kazakhstan Aktobe or first round opponent CC: ≤8.575

Cyprus AEK Larnaca CC: 8.460

Winners of match involving Netherlands Go Ahead Eagles or first round opponent CC: ≤8.195

Winners of match involving Serbia Red Star Belgrade or first round opponent CC: ≤7.775

Winners of match involving Hungary Debrecen or first round opponent CC: ≤7.700

Winners of match involving Denmark Brøndby or first round opponent CC: ≤7.460

Winners of match involving Belgium Charleroi CC: 7.440

Israel Ironi Kiryat Shmona CC: 7.200

Winners of match involving Belarus Shakhtyor Soligorsk or first round opponent CC: ≤7.150

Winners of match involving Georgia (country) Dinamo Tbilisi or first round opponent CC: ≤6.875

Winners of match involving Bulgaria Litex Lovech or first round opponent CC: ≤6.850

Turkey İstanbul Başakşehir CC: 6.520

Winners of match involving Serbia Vojvodina or first round opponent CC: ≤6.275

Winners of match involving Slovakia Spartak Trnava or first round opponent CC: ≤6.250

Winners of match involving Iceland FH or first round opponent CC: ≤6.100

Romania Târgu Mureș CC: 5.259

Austria Rheindorf Altach CC: 5.135

Plus some may or may not be seeded depending on what happens in the first 2 rounds:

Seeding TBD (the 7 highest coefficients from these teams/ties at the time of the 2QR will be seeded, meaning we can't play them in 3QR).

Winners of match involving England West Ham United or first round opponent CC: ≤16.078 (we can't play them anyway, even if it's not West Ham and they lose in the 2QR, as the draw is made before the winner is known, but we can play "first round opponent" in the unlikely event they lose to some semi-pros in early July)

Winners of match involving Moldova Sheriff Tiraspol or first round opponent CC: ≤14.500

Winners of match involving Norway Rosenborg or first round opponent CC: ≤11.875

Winners of match involving Sweden Elfsborg or first round opponent CC: ≤11.545

Winners of match involving Croatia Hajduk Split or first round opponent CC: ≤11.200

Winners of match involving Cyprus Apollon Limassol or first round opponent CC: ≤10.460

Winners of match involving Cyprus Omonia or first round opponent CC: ≤10.460

Winners of match involving Switzerland Thun CC: 10.375

Netherlands Vitesse CC: 10.195

Winners of match involving Romania Astra Giurgiu CC: 9.759

Winners of match involving Belarus Dinamo Minsk CC: 9.650

Czech Republic Jablonec CC: 9.325

Winners of match involving Slovakia Slovan Bratislava or first round opponent CC: ≤9.250

Austria Sturm Graz CC: 9.135

Winners of match involving Sweden AIK or first round opponent CC: ≤9.045

Winners of match involving Azerbaijan Neftchi Baku or first round opponent CC: ≤9.000

Winners of match involving Czech Republic Mladá Boleslav CC: 8.825

Anyway... :D

Edited by The9

FWIW I think even I'd baulk at Kazakhstan.

Just tapped in the commercial flights, leave London at 18:35 on Wednesday, 17 hours flight time with a layover in Moscow in order to arrive at 17:15 on matchday and then fly back at 6am on the Friday morning arriving back at Heathrow at 4pm Friday afternoon after another Moscow layover. About £500 for the privilege, this is without considering any visa faffery. And that's into Alamaty to play Aktobe or Kairat (both start in 1QR). If it's Shimkent for FC Ordabasy (also start in 1QR) it's £875 for a one stopper, or £717 for a two-stopper which basically is the same route as above plus an internal Kazakh flight.

Pretty sure that would HAVE to be a charter flight jobbie, and we should be grateful all of them have to win two ties just to get to us. :o

Red Star Belgrade, Brondby, Dinamo Tblisi all sound annoyingly lose-able. Entirely because I'd heard of them. I'd heard of Steaua Bucharest as well. So, stands to reason.

Luckily most of them except Brondby are relatively poo® nowadays and the eastern europeans are not a patch on their iron curtain days. Going on our last European draw luck we'd (again) pull the only European Cup winners in the competition who we could actually draw at that stage, which is indeed FK Crvena Zvezda aka Red Star Belgrade. Though Dortmund are also in there we can't get them.

Luckily most of them except Brondby are relatively poo® nowadays and the eastern europeans are not a patch on their iron curtain days. Going on our last European draw luck we'd (again) pull the only European Cup winners in the competition who we could actually draw at that stage, which is indeed FK Crvena Zvezda aka Red Star Belgrade. Though Dortmund are also in there we can't get them.

Let's not beat around the bush. It would be an awful result if we can't win against the unseeded 3RQ teams over two legs. The play off will be much tougher, especially if we're not seeded

Let's not beat around the bush. It would be an awful result if we can't win against the unseeded 3RQ teams over two legs. The play off will be much tougher, especially if we're not seeded

Some tricky ties against possible unseeded teams in the 3QR, we could get FC Thun, Rosenborg, Elfsborg or FC Sheriff (though Sheriff will probably be seeded they may not be), all of whom have recent Champions League pedigree, also Slovan Bratislava and Hajduk Split who have long-standing European experience. But yeah, mostly we'd expect to win the tie.

FWIW I just looked and Azerbaijan offers no Accor chain hotels, a Wednesday flight out and an overnight transfer in Latvia on the way out for about £400 (direct) return!

First Qualifying Round draw later today btw, that should start to give us an idea of who isn't getting anywhere (and can be greyed out [?]) on the map?

And yeah, I know what a pain it can be to change all the icons. :D

A quick break down of Visa Requirements: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requirements_for_European_Union_citizens

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY, YOU MUST CHECK FOR YOURSELVES BEFORE TRAVELLING, AND I WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR GENERAL ASSHATTEDNESS ON THIS FRONT, DEPORTATION, SALT MINES, KIDNAPPING OR ANY STATELESS SCENARIOS LIKE THAT ONE IN THE FILM THE TERMINAL.

Visas Required for EU residents:

Azerbaijan

Belarus (though they do limited visa on arrival if documents are with them 3 days before travel)

Russia

Visas Required for UK citizens (but not all EU residents)

Turkey (can apply online; also limited visa on arrival, being phased out).

TBC

Kazakhstan (pre-approved visa pick-up has been possible previously, a visa-free pilot is running until 15 July 2015)

Visas not required for EU citizens: basically everywhere else

EU Countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom (inc Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales)

Non-European UEFA nations: Armenia, Georgia, Israel.

Non-EU UEFA nations: Albania, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Faroe Islands, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Monaco, San Marino, Serbia, Ukraine

Non-EU UEFA nations who are European Free Trade Agreement Members: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway.

Non-EU UEFA nations who have a separate freedom of movement agreement: Switzerland.

Non-EU nations in disputed areas who probably haven't got teams in this anyway: Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, Kosovo, South Ossetia, Transnistria.

Non-EU UEFA nations who are an overseas territory of the UK: Gibraltar

I think that's everywhere...

Edited by The9

I'm going to be in Iceland on August 6th already! But unfortunately fly out again that afternoon, so it would probably be before the match if we happened to get drawn against an Icelandic team. But given that it's a small possibility, I'm going to check my flight booking terms and conditions to see about the possibility for changing to a flight the next day... would be so frustrating to be in Iceland on the same day as the match but not be able to go.

I'm going to be in Iceland on August 6th already! But unfortunately fly out again that afternoon, so it would probably be before the match if we happened to get drawn against an Icelandic team. But given that it's a small possibility, I'm going to check my flight booking terms and conditions to see about the possibility for changing to a flight the next day... would be so frustrating to be in Iceland on the same day as the match but not be able to go.

Well, all the teams are in Reykjavic so that should help!

West Ham will be playing one of this lot:

Qäbälä FK (AZE)

KF Renova (MNE)

FC Lusitans (AND)

Newtown AFC (WAL)

FK Olimpic Sarajevo (BIH)

I suspect they'll be begging for Newtown or Lusitans of Andorra for convenience.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})