The Official Saints European Tour 2015 / 16 Thread - Died Peacefully 27/08/2015

Marsdinho

Or people that subverted the system for the last round and now don't want others to?

That'll be me then! haha

When the draw was made for Vitesse I went ahead and booked my flights and hotel etc and at that point wasn't aware of the UEFA rule of only 5% allocations for away supporters. I thought It would be relatively easy to get a ticket on my ST if we had an allocation of say 3,000. So yes I then made the most of twitter etc and of people not attending and was able to get a ticket. (Due to a change in my job I am now able to attend weekend games and now have a ST at St Marys. I also attended 3 away's last season when worked allowed)

The issue I had with this game would have been for anyone to simply just buy a ticket and not attend which would (a) have resulted in empty seats that fans wishing to attend the game not being able to and (b) meaning that people would be massaging their "attended away" accounts and putting them higher up there ladder ahead of fans who dont try and play the system.

As a ST holder with 3 aways (4 after Watford) I'm not sure if i'll get any tickets allocated to me in the group stages but I'll be booking travel and hotels as soon as the draw is made for at least 2 of the 3 away games.

Hopefully I'll not be accused of being a scrounger if I have to get a ticket by other means. ;)

Or people that subverted the system for the last round and now don't want others to?

In reality, they perhaps should have done something for the Vitesse game as well, but with a bigger allocation it becomes such a massive operation.

I've had to suffer "100% collection" scenarios with England away games for years, it's a massive pain in the arse for the fans and it's probably a massive pain in the arse for the people who actually run the whole thing, but it does ensure that the tickets go to those who are entitled to them - the only way to sell the ticket on would be to collect it in person and then sell it, but that leaves a pretty small window, and you'd have still had to have made the effort to travel in the first place...

In reality, they perhaps should have done something for the Vitesse game as well, but with a bigger allocation it becomes such a massive operation.

I've had to suffer "100% collection" scenarios with England away games for years, it's a massive pain in the arse for the fans and it's probably a massive pain in the arse for the people who actually run the whole thing, but it does ensure that the tickets go to those who are entitled to them - the only way to sell the ticket on would be to collect it in person and then sell it, but that leaves a pretty small window, and you'd have still had to have made the effort to travel in the first place...

To be fair i know it's a ballache but i prefer it, the amount of leechers and hangers on that assumed they could get friends to buy them tickets for Vitesse was incredible, people i know who haven't been away in years suddenly felt it was their god given right to get a ticket over those of us that travel regularly home and away.

Got my tickets - any idea whether theyre going to make it past today?

They'll definitely make it past today or they wouldn't have been able to confirm that all of today's eligible ticket holders were guaranteed a ticket.

I'm hoping they'll also make it past tomorrow, though I am already covered off in any event. :)

Yes they will. I think they'll even have to announce another band too. There won't be as much demand as Vitesse now people know they can't purchase tickets to sell and also the travel is more of a pain in the ass.

There are also a fair few people who are eligible and either can't afford another match in the same month, or can't get more time off, etc. The "ID on collection" thing has certainly meant a few people I know who couldn't make it are now not buying tickets at all, rather than buying to shift on to a friend.

I've seen a fair few Arnhem travellers who go to a lot of matches saying they can't make/afford it already. Still not convinced it'll get below 11, never mind 9.

Anyone else staying in the appropriately named Hotel Herning? It looks a bit basic but its pretty close to the ground from the map etc. Hopefully not far from the train station either. Will have to buy “fluids” at Gatwick for the Stella Express from Copenhagen to Herning!

I'm in the Østergaards Hotel. I took the view that I wanted to be near the station to get the train back to Copenhagen on Friday morning. I'm flying out on Wednesday and staying the night in Copenhagen then getting the train to Herning Thursday morning. I might see if I can hire a bike whilst I'm in Herning.

This is your place: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1198376,8.9480604,3a,51.8y,148.28h,83.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAjVM5QNDNYPBZBBle6f3bA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

You're about 2.9km from the station, 3.0km to the pedestrian street in the middle of the town.

I'm in the Østergaards Hotel. I took the view that I wanted to be near the station to get the train back to Copenhagen on Friday morning. I'm flying out on Wednesday and staying the night in Copenhagen then getting the train to Herning Thursday morning. I might see if I can hire a bike whilst I'm in Herning.

This is your place: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1198376,8.9480604,3a,51.8y,148.28h,83.72t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAjVM5QNDNYPBZBBle6f3bA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

You're about 2.9km from the station, 3.0km to the pedestrian street in the middle of the town.

6 of us in the same hotel as you, took same view about being convenient for station and town centre will cab to stadium, some bars in town open until 3am on Thursday night

6 of us in the same hotel as you, took same view about being convenient for station and town centre will cab to stadium, some bars in town open until 3am on Thursday night

Great! I might join you at some point, if I may. Just as long as you don't mind dragging along some white-haired old wallflower ;)

Just bought 3 tickets in the Europa Saints Bar 'hospitality' - not having bought hospitality before, I don't know how I go about receiving the tickets (bought online) as the confirmation email just says tickets bought etc...., is it just a case of retrieving them from ticket office ? anyone able to advise ? I have tweeted them but looks like the staff could be busy writing up about a new signing ! :)

Just bought 3 tickets in the Europa Saints Bar 'hospitality' - not having bought hospitality before, I don't know how I go about receiving the tickets (bought online) as the confirmation email just says tickets bought etc...., is it just a case of retrieving them from ticket office ? anyone able to advise ? I have tweeted them but looks like the staff could be busy writing up about a new signing ! :)

I was considering this too, sounds like £30 is a decent deal, although not really if the actual general sale tickets are a tenner. Anyone know what price this is likely to be?

Anyone else staying in the appropriately named Hotel Herning? It looks a bit basic but its pretty close to the ground from the map etc. Hopefully not far from the train station either. Will have to buy “fluids” at Gatwick for the Stella Express from Copenhagen to Herning!

In there as well although looks more hostel than hotel

I shall update people on the availability of our tickets in the home end in Denmark following tomorrow (and then Friday's) ticket bids. Suffice to say 3 of us are currently in the home end at worst and those tickets will become available (to appropriate people) if we all get the away end ones.

I have a horrible suspicion that after tomorrow, only I won't have a ticket. :o

I'm thinking of booking the Day Trip from Bournemouth. I can only get one day off work and this suits. A bit pricey but works for me. Would of preferred from Southampton but Bournemouth not so bad.

The day trip is from Southampton, not Bournemouth.

Thanks for that. I don't arrive in Copenhagen until 1135 on Friday so I think I'll be on the train straight from the airport at about 1215-1230. Also got an early start on Friday morning - getting a train about 0630 to get my flight at 12 noon.

I am in hotel Herning as well ... and on the 10 .00 train out of Copenhagen. Could well be a football special!!

I don't arrive in Copenhagen until 1135 on Friday so I think I'll be on the train straight from the airport at about 1215-1230, see you in the bar!

Indeed, might need to book train ticket though, am guessing the cost will increase with demand.

I'll probably book my train tickets tomorrow. They are a bit cheaper for the over 65s and if you need to change at Skanderborg you can only book seats for the first leg. I'm in the hotel Ansgar in Copenhagen on Wednesday night and Herning on Thursday.

The airport trains to Herning go through Copenhagen Central but from what I can see of the ticket regulations you can't break your journey with a stopover.

We shall have to coordinate our movements in the next week or so.

Ask them a question in Danish and if they start shouting in response... Saints fans. :D

Going by our last trip i'd say listen out for people singing a version of the lion sleeps tonight, but with different lyrics, drunk and non stop for about three days

Are there direct trains from Copenhagen to Herning? All the ones I seem to have found involve a change.

Yes, change at Skanderborg. Be careful of the journey options that involve more than one change but may appear to be quicker. These seem to include a bus for part of the journey whcih may not be your cup of tea. The Danish word for train is 'tog' pronounced a bit like 'toe' in English. The word for 'bus' is 'bus', in case you wondered ;)

I now have my train tickets and seat reservations for the sections Skanderborg to Copenhagen. I bought them as separate tickets, Copenhagen Central to Herning leaving at 10:00 on the 27th and Herning to Copenhagen Airport leaving at 10:08 although these tickets can be used on any trains. I wouldn't expect the seat reservations to be valid on others, of course.

Yes - it's a ballache but understandable. They were probably caught out by the amount of abuse of the system for Vitesse, both in terms of non-attendance (not sure quite how many empty seats there were) and people buying for others, meaning some of those on 7-9 aways would have missed out.

I think, in hindsight, they were probably wrong to claim to be making a link between that game and attendance at future Europa League games. With such a cheap ticket it was worth purchasing even if you had no chance of going. I'm surprised they've said the same about Midtjylland, but with the collection process with photo ID it really means there is no point buying if you can't attend.

Is there a better system? Probably only a points-based one which would assign ST holders and members points, meaning that a member who does a lot of home and away in theory could get above a ST holder with no aways in the pecking order. That doesn't get rid of the abuse of any loyalty system, mind. Only ID with collection can do that. Maybe, like England I believe, a certain % of allocation could be made available via ballot to broaden the pool?

As we have discussed elsewhere, clearly it was the very public nature of the abuse of the system that has caused them to act in this way. It had to be gutting if you were a ST holder with 8 aways to miss out and see what was happening. People will always try and abuse systems (I'm fairly certain no-one can hold their hands up to not trying to circumnavigate rules for something or other, even if not Saints tickets), but the very public nature of it will have caused the club to act.

I think the club have broadly tried to do the right thing - but certainly they've been consistent with the last 4 or 5 seasons. Seeing ST holders saying they are annoyed because the want to buy the ticket for Midtjylland to give to a mate is bloody frustrating, so they've taken care of that. Likewise, I'm not sure how those who booked flights the moment the draw was made deserve much sympathy...a cursory glance easily informed you on the rough size of the away allocation - it certainly doesn't make you any more deserving that someone with a ST and more aways on their record (although I suppose selling out all the flights is a good way of preventing them from going!).

I don't suppose anyone has heard about the plans for collection yet, I seem to recall them hinting at multiple locations as opposed to the ar5e-pain that would be "everyone to the stadium for 5pm" or something. I'd hope if they are going to do collection only in one place it was it town not at the ground and starting early to avoid 600 people queueing, but who knows?

Says the man who has to hang on til Friday thanks to paying on the day at Stoke... :o

I don't suppose anyone has heard about the plans for collection yet, I seem to recall them hinting at multiple locations as opposed to the ar5e-pain that would be "everyone to the stadium for 5pm" or something. I'd hope if they are going to do collection only in one place it was it town not at the ground and starting early to avoid 600 people queueing, but who knows?

Says the man who has to hang on til Friday thanks to paying on the day at Stoke... :o

In exactly the same boat there mush!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vitesse was sold out. The empty seats would be a combination of people who stayed in the square and didn't go to the game. For me, it was about the day not the game and I think staying drinking in the square would've been more fun. Also, lots of people were stood on the concourse not in any seats or just moved around to sit/stand with mates. There would also be a small percentage who purchased tickets but could no longer travel.

Most of the empty seats were due to there being three rows' worth of people stood in the front row.

Don't know why, but I thought the stadium would be busy as the home goes on general sale at 9.

There must be no more than 30 people here....

Probably because most people have worked out that unless you're in the first 5 people it's probably quicker to buy online.

Cheers for the heads up though.

Probably because most people have worked out that unless you're in the first 5 people it's probably quicker to buy online.

Cheers for the heads up though.

Yeah agree, but muggings here got given cash to buy the tkts and need to set up a membership number too

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})