The Official Saints European Tour 2015 / 16 Thread - Died Peacefully 27/08/2015

Marsdinho

Of the EL games its hard to see too many upsets. Looking at those ties its clear ours was the toughest ranking wise.

I guess if we win and are unseeded we just have to hope the draw is as kind as possible.

If all the EL games go to form, then it would still require 2 'upsets' from the 7 CL games to knock us out of the seeded places. That's a pretty strong assumption - I would be very surprised if there weren't, at least, a couple of upsets in the EL games (there are 15 EL ties, after all). Any upsets in the EL would gives us more leeway and margin for error from the CL ties. Looking at the decisive CL games, i can't see too many games going against form either -and ultimately there are fewer CL games. Even Celtic should win FFS.

Edited by shurlock

That 100% comment above is so misleading I've tried to clarify.

Another way to explain it is if there are 22 teams with a lower seeding than Saints we'll be seeded in the Play-Off round (if we're in it).

Again, there will be 15 CL 3rd QR losers and 29 EL 3rd QR winners in the PO Round.

The following teams will definitely be ranked below Saints in the Europa League Play Off Round (ELPOR), if there are 22 of them, Saints will be seeded.

Confirmed:

1. Kairat OR Aberdeen

2. Žilina OR Vorskla Poltava

3. Debrecen OR Rosenborg

4. Thun OR Vaduz

5. Belenenses OR IFK Göteborg

6. Charleroi OR Zorya Luhansk

7. Elfsborg OR Odds

8. Apollon Limassol OR Gabala

9. AIK OR Atromitos

10. Brøndby OR Omonia Nicosia

11. Hajduk Split OR Strømsgodset

12. Krasnodar OR Slovan Bratislava

13. Milsami Orhei OR Skënderbeu Korçë

14. HJK Finland OR Astana

In addition, West Ham have the same ranking as Saints, whilst Astra Giurgiu are lower than Saints - that one will be for UEFA to decide but ideally an Astra win.

So we need another 7 (or possibly 8 ) results to go in our favour. They need to come from the following matches:

CL 3QR - losers into (ELPOR) - in these 7 matches we need results to go with form as we don't want high ranked teams dropping into the ELPOR.

Qarabağ if they lose to Celtic

Partizan if they lose to Steaua

Midtjylland if they lose to APOEL

Molde if they lose to Dinamo Zagreb

Videoton if they lose to BATE Borisov

Malmö if they lose to RB Salzburg

Rapid Wien if they lose to Ajax

Europa League 3rd Qualifying Round (winners into ELPOR) - IF the 7 matches above go with form, we only need ONE of these games to go against form for us to be seeded. However, for every match above that doesn't go to form, we need an additional team from the left column in the list below to win as well.

Dinamo Minsk if they beat FC Zurich

İstanbul Başakşehir if they beat AZ Alkmaar

AEK Larnaca if they beat Bordeaux

Spartak Trnava if they beat PAOK

Târgu Mureș if they beat St Etienne

Jablonec if they beat FC Copenhagen

Vojvodina if they beat Sampdoria

Kukësi if they beat Legia Warsaw

Sturm Graz if they beat Rubin Kazan

Ironi Kiryat Shmona if they beat Slovan Liberec

Wolfsberger if they beat Borussia Dortmund

Željezničar if they beat Standard Liege

Inter Baku if they beat Athletic Bilbao

Rabotnički if they beat Trabzonspor

Rheindorf Altach if they beat Vitoria Guimaraes

So basically as it stands, there are 14 teams definitely below Saints, and another 7 Champions League underdogs who if they lose will be below Saints. That's 21 of the 22 needed for Saints to be seeded. Plus West Ham or Astra MIGHT be below Saints depending on how they split us and West Ham when we have the same coefficient (the coefficient tiebreaker rules will be online somewhere, I'll check).

So actually, if all results go to form, we'll be waiting on a UEFA ruling to confirm if we're seeded or not as either us or West Ham could be the 22nd seed. However, any upsets in CL matches drops a higher coefficient team into the EL and will need to be offset by an upset in EL matches removing a potential seed from above Saints in the list. Lots of EL upsets is good news for Saints (provided none of them is Vitesse winning!).

I've removed all mention of CL ties where either loser will be ranked above Saints (there are 6 of those) because they're irrelevant to us.

Is that easier to understand? :)

Edited by The9

If all the EL games go to form, then it would still require 2 'upsets' from the 7 CL games to knock us out of the seeded places. That's a pretty strong assumption - I would be very surprised if there weren't, at least, a couple of upsets in the EL games (there are 15 EL ties, after all). Any upsets in the EL would gives us more leeway and margin for error from the CL ties. Looking at the decisive CL games, i can't see too many games going against form either -and ultimately there are fewer CL games. Even Celtic should win FFS.

I make it one, even assuming we're above West Ham.

Edited by The9

Oh, and the coefficient tiebreaker regulations are as follows: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/69/59/2236959_DOWNLOAD.pdf

D.7 Equal coefficients

If two or more clubs or associations are ranked equally, the following criteria are

applied, in the order given, to determine their final rankings:

● their coefficients in the most recent of the seasons on which the rankings are

based;

● their coefficients in the next most recent season in which they are not equal;

● drawing of lots.

That is still open to interpretation - but West Ham previously qualified for Europe more recently than us, so theoretically should have a higher coefficient more recently, and our scores should theoretically be equal for all other seasons since (as we've both got the basic England national score). Which would make them seeded and us not, as it stands - on form.

Edited by The9

I make it one, even assuming we're above West Ham.

And if West Ham are above us as the coefficient tiebreaker regulations suggest, it could even be a whole "zero upsets needed to knock us out of the seeded places".

I'm hopeful there will be a few EL upsets and fewer CL ones (there are more EL matches for a start), but it's going to be a close run thing with the seeding even if we do get through - there were only 2 CL upsets in the 2QR from more matches, but you'd expect the teams to be more even as the rounds go on.

to be honest seeded or not i dont see any teams that would worry me over 2 games.

Glad you're so blase about potentially drawing Borussia Dortmund, Athletic Bilbao and Sampdoria rather than Vaduz, Rabotniki and Kukesi.

Hi there,

In case anyone has any questions regarding Arnhem, Vitesse or anything else about us. I registered to help you guys out a bit. Saw alot of wrong info and felt the need to register ^-^.

Kind regards,

Vitessefan

Hey Vitessefan

Thanks for stopping by. Really looking forward to a great afternoon in your City, hopefully we'll get time to hit one of your great musuems before joining the crowds in the Korenmarkt

Some question, during the day is there a bus service from the station to the Stadium & back into town? How often does it go? Can we pay cash on the bus or do we need a card? and do you have a local brewed beer rather than the multinational stuff that we can look out for?

Oh and anywhere in town sell fresh cooked Poffertjes? :)

No problem :)

For museums, i love the Airbornemuseum in Oosterbeek. Great to see old that happend during the WW2, especially operation market garden wich we still remember every year. Paratroopers from England still go to our match every year and we honour them as we should. Maybe going to the openluchtmuseum (open air museum) that's also pretty good. The korenmarkt itself isnt big and i dont know what will be opened on matchday. I noticed someone saying its StudentNight on thursdays. That just means drinks will be cheaper. Clubs are always opened on thursdays evenings and some in the afternoon. (I even noticed someone hoped for platic furnuture to probably smash around, bad idea, camera's everywhere and you wont find alot die hard Vitessefans there).

There is a bus going to the stadium (bus 7 and 331 if im not mistaken) and leaves every 15minutes or something. On the other hand, i wouldnt know why you would go to the stadium, as there is absolutely nothing to do before the match. Busses leave from central station to Gelredome 2hours before the match starts. Its like 5 euro's and you can buy a ticket on the bus. If you cant find anything, the station has alot of NS employers who can point you to the right direction. Seriously 92% of all dutch people speak English, so dont be affraid to talk to them, just be polite when you do ^-^. A helpful site would be http://www.9292OV.nl or the app from NS. 9292OV.nl is a site where you can find wich bus goes where and the NS app tells you wich track, wich train goes where. Especially for the ones heading to Amsterdam. Last train leaves at midnight!

As far as I know, we dont have any local beers. And if so, its not famous at all. I love Hertog Jan, but hey, matter of taste.

And Damn... Poffertjes. I seriously do not know where you can buy those. Maybe even at the Open air museum.

Important. If you are going to buy tickets for the home stand. Take West-stand. Its the one with the least amount of fans and a lot of businessmen. We have a capacity of 24.500. I will not be sold out, as it is never sold out. Our stadium is to big for the fans that we have. We have a very solid core of 15.000 fans and alot of them will be on holiday. So if we reach like 15k fans total, i would be surprised.

The only thing Southampton could do, is ask Vitesse if its possible to get the entire North stand. That would mean you get around 4k tickets.

If any more questions pop up, dont hestitate to ask :)

Regards

For museums, i love the Airbornemuseum in Oosterbeek. Great to see old that happend during the WW2, especially operation market garden wich we still remember every year. Paratroopers from England still go to our match every year and we honour them as we should. Maybe going to the openluchtmuseum (open air museum) that's also pretty good. The korenmarkt itself isnt big and i dont know what will be opened on matchday. I noticed someone saying its StudentNight on thursdays. That just means drinks will be cheaper. Clubs are always opened on thursdays evenings and some in the afternoon. (I even noticed someone hoped for platic furnuture to probably smash around, bad idea, camera's everywhere and you wont find alot die hard Vitessefans there).

There is a bus going to the stadium (bus 7 and 331 if im not mistaken) and leaves every 15minutes or something. On the other hand, i wouldnt know why you would go to the stadium, as there is absolutely nothing to do before the match. Busses leave from central station to Gelredome 2hours before the match starts. Its like 5 euro's and you can buy a ticket on the bus. If you cant find anything, the station has alot of NS employers who can point you to the right direction. Seriously 92% of all dutch people speak English, so dont be affraid to talk to them, just be polite when you do ^-^. A helpful site would be http://www.9292OV.nl or the app from NS. 9292OV.nl is a site where you can find wich bus goes where and the NS app tells you wich track, wich train goes where. Especially for the ones heading to Amsterdam. Last train leaves at midnight!

As far as I know, we dont have any local beers. And if so, its not famous at all. I love Hertog Jan, but hey, matter of taste.

And Damn... Poffertjes. I seriously do not know where you can buy those. Maybe even at the Open air museum.

Important. If you are going to buy tickets for the home stand. Take West-stand. Its the one with the least amount of fans and a lot of businessmen. We have a capacity of 24.500. I will not be sold out, as it is never sold out. Our stadium is to big for the fans that we have. We have a very solid core of 15.000 fans and alot of them will be on holiday. So if we reach like 15k fans total, i would be surprised.

The only thing Southampton could do, is ask Vitesse if its possible to get the entire North stand. That would mean you get around 4k tickets.

Regards

Cheers what's the general feeling over there on your chances against us?

The9. Not meaning to sound ungrateful or owt, but do you have a family or a life?

The amount of effort you have put in lately ref the coefficient seedings is borderline obsessive :)

A wife, who was asleep on the sofa next to me when I did the first one last night, and watching something gash on tv today in the same room when I cut and pasted the information (which took about 15 minutes). :)

A wife, who was asleep on the sofa next to me when I did the first one last night, and watching something gash on tv today in the same room when I cut and pasted the information (which took about 15 minutes). :)

Ah fair enough! You should've taken the credit and not mentioned the cut and paste job!!

There is a bus going to the stadium (bus 7 and 331 if im not mistaken) and leaves every 15minutes or something. On the other hand, i wouldnt know why you would go to the stadium, as there is absolutely nothing to do before the match. Busses leave from central station to Gelredome 2hours before the match starts. Its like 5 euro's and you can buy a ticket on the bus. If you cant find anything, the station has alot of NS employers who can point you to the right direction. Seriously 92% of all dutch people speak English, so dont be affraid to talk to them, just be polite when you do ^-^. A helpful site would be www.9292OV.nl or the app from NS. 9292OV.nl is a site where you can find wich bus goes where and the NS app tells you wich track, wich train goes where. Especially for the ones heading to Amsterdam. Last train leaves at midnight!

Regards

Brilliant - thanks.

Hopefully you may spot our crazy gang & Dubai Flags in one of the bars before the game, come & say Hi and we owe you a pint. Bad news about the Poffertjes. Will have to try & take the crew down the beach for them on Wednesday if the weather's good instead!

Oooh, wish I was going now and hadn't c)cked up my planning.. I'm planning to go to a later round. (cough, cough) ;-) Hopefully EuroLeague is coming to Southampton and everybody will show you the appropriate hospitality: we don't have too many idiots.

Ah fair enough! You should've taken the credit and not mentioned the cut and paste job!!

Well it was a cut and paste from what I already wrote yesterday, I just reordered it for clarity.

As for a life, give us a chance, I only got back from Rotterdam on Saturday afternoon after a mad dash to an earlier plane after a flight cancellation, and having been to Salzburg two weeks before I was glad of a day to relax. :D

Edited by The9

I'm chuckling like mad here: I read your posts The9 and then decline to reread them as my brain hurts. OK, I appreciate it's sheer laziness, but please keep us updated on likely subsequent opponents so we can all be poised over the travel websites to book the next (?!!) lot of travel tickets.

Wouldn't mind Sampdoria or Fiorentina (which, for Turkish's benefit, are in Italy..). What are the odds? :-)

Going to be a little light on post 3QR updates as I'll still be in Arnhem when the POR draw is made and the focus will be on getting the cheapest travel and accommodation possible as soon as possible whilst still abroad (all assuming we win of course) - and as I'm flying to Netherlands before 7am that morning I doubt I'll be updating with the CL losers on the day either (they'll have already played on the Wednesday of course).

The seeding link above and the Wiki page are pretty good for it all, though losing the basic coefficients from the Wiki page was annoying.

One problem with maybe being seeded is that there are still a disturbing number of very very eastern European sides left in the unseeded pool at the moment. But I guess that's better than potentially having to beat Dortmund.

Edited by The9

To give you odds...

We're probably 66% likely to win against Vitesse, Sampdoria probably 75% over Vojvodina.

Sampdoria will be seeded, and at the moment I'd say there is a 40% chance we won't be - we're right on the cusp of seeded/unseeded but I'd expect more EL upsets than CL, pushing us into the seed pot.

So for us to even be in the right bit of the draw to face Sampdoria I'm saying it's about a 20% chance (⅔×¾×2/5=12/60=1/5), and as there are about 20 other possible opponents (22 matches, can't draw West Ham) I'd say there's about a 1% chance we play Sampdoria in the next round.

That is still 1% more than our chances of playing Fiorentina, however, as they're in the Group Stages already and don't join the competition until the round after the one we're discussing. :)

LOL! I _was_ joking, but thanks for giving me an even bigger laugh! I shall be there on Thursday and taking an older lady who doesn't really get the chance to see Saints, but 15 quid and a great evening atmosphere was too good to miss.

After that, with an idea of how things are panning out, I'll be back here for expert advice. :-)

Green kit for the away game.......

Doesn't answer my question, which is "what are we wearing at home?" - the club has said nothing about a Europa kit, and the striped shirt we do have doesn't meet the UEFA shirt numbering regulations - which are that we need a single coloured panel behind the number.

So either we're wearing green for all matches, or we're wearing a different home shirt which the club hasn't mentioned and isn't selling... most likely the normal shirt but with a back panel (which could be red or white, but red makes the most sense).

Doesn't answer my question, which is "what are we wearing at home?" - the club has said nothing about a Europa kit, and the striped shirt we do have doesn't meet the UEFA shirt numbering regulations - which are that we need a single coloured panel behind the number.

So either we're wearing green for all matches, or we're wearing a different home shirt which the club hasn't mentioned and isn't selling... most likely the normal shirt but with a back panel (which could be red or white, but red makes the most sense).

Or maybe the normal home kit but with the players shirts having a white panel on the back?

Does this apply in the qualifying around?

Does this apply in the qualifying around?

If it doesn't Hull wasted a shedload of cash making shirts for only the qualifying rounds last season... They also insisted on wearing one of their away kits at home in one of their 4 matches to ensure the "European" kit got used in Europe, too. :)

It's been a while since the home team changed shirts in case of a clash in Europe, but I remember it used to be a thing!

It's been a while since the home team changed shirts in case of a clash in Europe, but I remember it used to be a thing!

As did the "three foreigners" rule. Imagine how crap most of the top teams would be these days if UEFA suddenly reimposed that rule and they could only use three of their non-home-grown players in Europe. :lol:

I've had a bit of a Google - UEFA Regs are here for 2015/16: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/69/59/2236959_DOWNLOAD.pdf

50.01 The UEFA Kit Regulations apply to all matches in the competition, unless specified

otherwise in these regulations.

50.02 Exceptionally, for all matches in the qualifying phase and play-offs the domestic

kit regulations of the relevant associations apply, provided that the sponsor

advertising on the kit complies with Article 32 of the UEFA Kit Regulations and the

kit has been approved for and worn in domestic competition matches.

So it could be that the patch is not needed until the group stages. (Ask Hull!)

I've also had a look at the Kit Regs themselves, but I can't find a copy since 2012 and frankly even *I* think they're ridiculously detailed: http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/75/63/78/1756378_DOWNLOAD.pdf

For instance, the ruling on colour panels states:

ANNEX D: Colour and contrast-related terms

Using a spectrophotometer UEFA may measure the values of the colour, the reflectivity

and the contrast of the various colours used on a kit. This method helps to ensure

better legibility of the numbers against the background colours and to avoid reflectivity

of colours, and also provides an objective means of decision-making.

1. Spectrophotometer An instrument that measures the spectral

reflectance.

2. Measurement method The measurements are to be recorded using a

spherical spectrophotometer with an aperture of

6.6 mm and a measurement area of 4mm on a

white-point of D65 and Standard Observers Angle of

10°. All sample measurements are an average of

three readings, 0°, 90° and 45°. A spectrally neutral

18% Reflectance Grey Card must be placed under

the single layer of fabric to be measured.

3. Delta E Delta E is a formula to calculate the difference

between a pair of measured colour samples. The

Delta E CMC 2:1 equation is used by UEFA to

determine the colours of decorative elements.

4. Delta L Delta L is a formula used to calculate the difference

in light between a pair of measured colour samples.

UEFA may use it to determine the contrast of colour.

5. Number-zone colours In order to be approved, the contrast between shirt

colours in the number zone must be less than or

equal to a Delta L of 25. Colour combinations with a

Delta L value greater than 25 are considered as

contrast colours and require a neutral patch on the

back of the shirt.

6. Contrast to player

numbers

In order to be approved, a player number must

contrast with its background colour(s) in the number

zone. A number must contrast by a Delta L value

equal to or higher than 30.

7. Decorative elements In order to be approved, a decorative element as

defined in Article 12 has to differ from the shirt

colour(s) by a Delta E CMC 2:1 value of up to

10 maximum. The background colour will be

measured before the decorative element.

8. Reflective effect No kit item (including player numbers) must be too

reflective.

In order to be approved, the spectral gain of a

material used must be less than 0.009 (representing

as “spectral Gain x 100’ being lower than 0.9).

Spectral gain is defined as the average positive

difference of the specular-excluded subtracted from

the specular-including readings, within the range of

400 to 700 nanometers at 10 nanometer intervals.

Edited by The9

Went down this morning to get tickets for 3 of us regular away-goers. Paid, was handed the usual receipt and was then asked if I wanted to collect the tickets on Friday, or have them posted out. Are there any more hoops they want us to jump through?

Haven't seen mention of this elsewhere, so for those of you who booked online, I wouldn't rush to meet your local postie for the next few days.

I've had a bit of a Google - UEFA Regs are here for 2015/16: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/69/59/2236959_DOWNLOAD.pdf

50.01 The UEFA Kit Regulations apply to all matches in the competition, unless specified

otherwise in these regulations.

50.02 Exceptionally, for all matches in the qualifying phase and play-offs the domestic

kit regulations of the relevant associations apply, provided that the sponsor

advertising on the kit complies with Article 32 of the UEFA Kit Regulations and the

kit has been approved for and worn in domestic competition matches.

So it could be that the patch is not needed until the group stages. (Ask Hull!)

I've also had a look at the Kit Regs themselves, but I can't find a copy since 2012 and frankly even *I* think they're ridiculously detailed: http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Tech/uefaorg/General/01/75/63/78/1756378_DOWNLOAD.pdf

For instance, the ruling on colour panels states:

ANNEX D: Colour and contrast-related terms

Using a spectrophotometer UEFA may measure the values of the colour, the reflectivity

and the contrast of the various colours used on a kit. This method helps to ensure

better legibility of the numbers against the background colours and to avoid reflectivity

of colours, and also provides an objective means of decision-making.

1. Spectrophotometer An instrument that measures the spectral

reflectance.

2. Measurement method The measurements are to be recorded using a

spherical spectrophotometer with an aperture of

6.6 mm and a measurement area of 4mm on a

white-point of D65 and Standard Observers Angle of

10°. All sample measurements are an average of

three readings, 0°, 90° and 45°. A spectrally neutral

18% Reflectance Grey Card must be placed under

the single layer of fabric to be measured.

3. Delta E Delta E is a formula to calculate the difference

between a pair of measured colour samples. The

Delta E CMC 2:1 equation is used by UEFA to

determine the colours of decorative elements.

4. Delta L Delta L is a formula used to calculate the difference

in light between a pair of measured colour samples.

UEFA may use it to determine the contrast of colour.

5. Number-zone colours In order to be approved, the contrast between shirt

colours in the number zone must be less than or

equal to a Delta L of 25. Colour combinations with a

Delta L value greater than 25 are considered as

contrast colours and require a neutral patch on the

back of the shirt.

6. Contrast to player

numbers

In order to be approved, a player number must

contrast with its background colour(s) in the number

zone. A number must contrast by a Delta L value

equal to or higher than 30.

7. Decorative elements In order to be approved, a decorative element as

defined in Article 12 has to differ from the shirt

colour(s) by a Delta E CMC 2:1 value of up to

10 maximum. The background colour will be

measured before the decorative element.

8. Reflective effect No kit item (including player numbers) must be too

reflective.

In order to be approved, the spectral gain of a

material used must be less than 0.009 (representing

as “spectral Gain x 100’ being lower than 0.9).

Spectral gain is defined as the average positive

difference of the specular-excluded subtracted from

the specular-including readings, within the range of

400 to 700 nanometers at 10 nanometer intervals.

Post of the month.

Cheers what's the general feeling over there on your chances against us?

Sorry for the late response. Didnt know i could only post 3times in 24hours.

The general feeling on our chances.... Would say the chances of the pope becomming a Muslim is bigger. We know we'll lose but we just wanna have fun. Our last European Adventure close to home was vs Werder Bremen.

That was one awesome day and we just wanna party. We we're hoping for some small club, but everyone said, if we draw a strong club, we hope for either Southampton or Dortmund. Seeing as the 1700 tickets were sold in 2 days, we were right :)

Brilliant - thanks.

Hopefully you may spot our crazy gang & Dubai Flags in one of the bars before the game, come & say Hi and we owe you a pint. Bad news about the Poffertjes. Will have to try & take the crew down the beach for them on Wednesday if the weather's good instead!

Would be fun if i actually met some of you in southampton. Sadly i cant make it to the home game here in Arnhem. Begged my boss for a free day this thursday and couldnt get another.

Btw, is there any place we should go to in Southampton? We arrive at 10am, so we gotta find something to do :).

The general feeling on our chances.... Would say the chances of the pope becomming a Muslim is bigger. We know we'll lose but we just wanna have fun. Our last European Adventure close to home was vs Werder Bremen.

Bit rude from the commentator there about the supporters. ;)

Btw, is there any place we should go to in Southampton? We arrive at 10am, so we gotta find something to do :).

The best thing about Southampton is its parks. There's very little else to do unless you fancy a trip to the Titanic museum or the city Art Gallery!

Take some beers into Palmerston Park, Hoglands Park, or a little farther to Southampton Common, and hope for sunshine! Bring a footy and have a kickabout, you'll probably find some Saints fans up for a game.

The high street and West Quay Shopping centre aren't far from the ground and are ok to waste one or two hours, but who wants to spend too much time looking around endless coffeeshops (not the Dutch kind unfortunately) and clothes retailers surrounded by students and chavs?

The waterfront at Southampton has not been utilised well. The council have f*cked it up for tourists and visitors but in fairness its main purpose is to serve cargo ships and cruise liners so there's not a great deal to do there. However, Ocean Village is an alright place to sit with a few cold ones over looking the marina.

If you're arriving that early you might enjoy heading to Winchester first before trundling across to Southampton. The beautiful ancient old capital city of England and some mighty fine pubs too.

Enjoy your trip!

Oh and we have an Ikea!!!!!!! Excited????

Edited by niceandfriendly

That was one awesome day and we just wanna party. We we're hoping for some small club, but everyone said, if we draw a strong club, we hope for either Southampton or Dortmund. Seeing as the 1700 tickets were sold in 2 days, we were right :)

Would be fun if i actually met some of you in southampton. Sadly i cant make it to the home game here in Arnhem. Begged my boss for a free day this thursday and couldnt get another.

Depends on what sort of activity you want to do (and whether you can get transport)

Drinking - no idea, but several venues a relatively short walk from the ground (between 5 and 20 minutes).

Cultural -

Art Gallery at the Southampton Civic Centre

Sea City Museum (history of the Titanic and stuff) and/or Tudor House (800 years of Southampton history)

All of those are walkable from the ground (maybe 20 minutes?)

Sport

Golf - Southampton Municipal is a great public course which can get very busy (and used to provide hire clubs, but you'd need to check in advance to make sure). It has both a 9 hole and an 18 hole course.

It's 10 minutes by car/taxi from the airport and 20 minutes from the football stadium (under normal traffic conditions).

There are other private clubs close by, but they are harder to get on and they are more expensive and unlikely to hire out equipment either.

Another little gem for the more light-hearted is Riverside Pitch'nPutt course. Cheap, and they do hire out anything you need. Last time I played there, the greens were surprising good. It could be busy as the schoolkids are all on holiday (I think). 15 minutes from the airport by car/taxi and about 20 to the ground.

10pin bowling - 2 to choose from that I am aware of. One is 10 minutes drive from the Airport, in Eastleigh (about half an hour drive to the ground), and the other is in Southampton itself (maybe half an hour's drive from the airport and 15 minutes drive from the ground).

There are a few Leisure Centres with various activities - just google them to find out what they can offer you. Most notable is probably the outdoor artificial ski slope (which is located right next to Southampton Municipal golf course)

This is going from memory as I now live in Australia (although I do come back every couple of years)...so don't blame me for any errors or misjudgements in travelling times!...lol

Went down this morning to get tickets for 3 of us regular away-goers. Paid, was handed the usual receipt and was then asked if I wanted to collect the tickets on Friday, or have them posted out. Are there any more hoops they want us to jump through?

Haven't seen mention of this elsewhere, so for those of you who booked online, I wouldn't rush to meet your local postie for the next few days.

Got told something similar yesterday by ticket office, I think issue could be that Arnhem are bring the tickets over with them, so club not receiving them until Thursday, seen on Twitter that posted tickets will be received at weekend

European away game.. And people are advising them to play football in the park, go bowling or play golf :lol:

Absofruitly. Hopefully they bring over their fine buds and hippie vibes too and we can all hold hands and have a sing song.

Oh and what's wrong with drunk footy in the park? Not a lot unless of course you're of the larger variety.

Edited by niceandfriendly

You're right, they should be bare-knuckle fighting on the roof of Eastgate car park or something. Faackin pansies mush.

More like throw some w*nker signs and shout "faaaackin kaaaants" from across the street before running off giggling. That's what propa fackin football fans do son. ;)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})