DONE DEAL: Saints sign Maarten Stekelenburg on season-long loan

supersonic

From snippets I've heard at work we are looking at a young goalkeeper from another Premier League club as well.

We were linked with a Newcastle 'keeper a few weeks back - could be him?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3080724/Southampton-step-pursuit-Newcastle-21-goalkeeper-Freddie-Woodman-Saints-look-building-squad-future.html

No I wouldn't, I'd think he was nuts.

I've been critical of managers in the past, but for the last 6 years under Liebherr ownership we've been extremely successful.

.....and his other "cure " .....was putting the block of cheese on your nuts - if you had a groin strain ......:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's very harsh to judge him solely on his Fulham experience, there were too many variables at that club to make a sound judgement of any player.

What I do know is that he was once one of the best keepers in Europe. Still at a decent enough age, so who knows.

I hope and still think we may also get a younger GK as well, just to really bulk up that area.

He has two years left on his contract at Fulham. That means that they want to loan him out instead of selling him about as much as we want to loan Osvaldo out again instead of selling him. However, I suspect Stekelenburg is on a more reasonable wage and therefore easier to sell.

Edited by Redslo

I remember similar reservations being bandied around when Davis joined from Sunderland.

And he still hasn't proven himself as a Premier League keeper 8 years later. He was crap in the Championship for a couple of years too until the takeover.

Happy enough with the signing, I remember him shipping one right through him at the near post for Fulham but I also remember him making some decent saves behind their random knackered-looking team. He'll be fine, wonder if it's a loan to buy?

On the face of it a good deal. Hopefully he can be steady so we don't have to rush Fraser back too early. We have A top GK coach and Koeman knows him, would probably take their view over a few Fulham fans.

I think any keeper would struggle behind their back four TBF.

Ok so we have

Forster - injured for who know how long

Davis - Ok at best, but getting old

Gazza - who knows???

and now Stkelenburg. What I find most of interest is what is going to happen to Gazza. Is he ever going to play a part in the 1st XI?

Does anyone know the full extent of Fraser's injury?

His leg fell off.

In all seriousness, it was his patellar tendon which was ruptured. I don't think we'll see him until the back end of next season, although that's in a best case - in my opinion. I think Maarten is our season-long keeper.

Good deal, significantly better cover than super kev or Gazza. Signed in a loan not permanent so we haven't committed just in case. Good use of the loan system IMO. 3 good signings so far and all can be part of pre season and blend/gel with the rest of squad.

Ok so we have

Forster - injured for who know how long

Davis - Ok at best, but getting old

Gazza - who knows???

and now Stkelenburg. What I find most of interest is what is going to happen to Gazza. Is he ever going to play a part in the 1st XI?

At PL level, I think you're being generous.

His leg fell off.

In all seriousness, it was his patellar tendon which was ruptured. I don't think we'll see him until the back end of next season, although that's in a best case - in my opinion. I think Maarten is our season-long keeper.

Thanks! Club's quietness on this suggests it's a bad one

Pleased with this - as we were only after a loan it was unlikely we'd get another club's first-choice keeper, so getting one with PL, European and international experience is great. Hope he can rediscover form. Getting a run in the team (unlike Monaco) with a decent defence (unlike Fulham) will probably help...

I think our back four are going to have far more faith in Stekelenburg between the sticks than they had towards the back end of last season when it was either Davis or Gazza.

It appeared quite noticeable to me at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think our back four are going to have far more faith in Stekelenburg between the sticks than they had towards the back end of last season when it was either Davis or Gazza.

I think that is when I realised just how good Frazer was!

What was noticeable was us not having Schneiderlin and Wanyama in front of the defence and Alderweireld in the back line. Goalkeepers didn't really have much to do with it.

It's good to see us getting our transfer business done before the squad return for pre season.

The club has clearly learned a lot from how things panned out last season (though actually we signed two players early last pre-season as well).

Decent enough as cover while Forster recovers. I still wonder whether we're looking at one more keeper. There could be a lot of games to play next season and we still only have Kelvin and Gazzaniga as back ups...

Decent enough as cover while Forster recovers. I still wonder whether we're looking at one more keeper. There could be a lot of games to play next season and we still only have Kelvin and Gazzaniga as back ups...

Don't think we are, going by Reed's comments.

“While Fraser Forster’s rehabilitation is progressing well, adding Maarten to our squad alongside Kelvin Davis and Paulo Gazzaniga will give us strength in depth for what will be a busy season.