DONE DEAL: Saints sign Maarten Stekelenburg on season-long loan

supersonic

As one of two keepers brought in then this would be a good move, as he's experienced and fairly decent. As our only keeper, with Gazzaniga (and possibly Davis if he's still on our books) as back up, I'd be very nervous. I'm still hoping Forster's injury isn't too bad.

Koeman does rather love players he has worked with before rather than using our famed scouting system.

After failing at Fulham and being largely average at Monaco by all accounts, I am not entirely convinced, as surely he would be coming here to be the no1.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Koeman does rather love players he has worked with before rather than using our famed scouting system.

After failing at Fulham and being largely average at Monaco by all accounts, I am not entirely convinced, as surely he would be coming here to be the no1.

No, he would be coming to be our number 2................ once Fraser is fit.

No, he would be coming to be our number 2................ once Fraser is fit.

Our new GK shouldn't be seen as a number 2, they need to be a number 1 straight away. That's why I think this guy will just be a loan as squad cover, we'll get an up and coming young keeper to replace Forster. That's my feeling anyway

Still better than Davis or Gazzaniga

Our new GK shouldn't be seen as a number 2, they need to be a number 1 straight away. That's why I think this guy will just be a loan as squad cover, we'll get an up and coming young keeper to replace Forster. That's my feeling anyway

A 32 year old (youngish for a keeper) with 50 caps for Holland is probably unlikely to come in as a backup keeper IMO.

Would be great if true, but hard to see. I think it would be the other way around, the younger one would be the no2, for this coming season and when Forster is back.

A 32 year old (youngish for a keeper) with 50 caps for Holland is probably unlikely to come in as a backup keeper IMO.

Would be great if true, but hard to see. I think it would be the other way around, the younger one would be the no2, for this coming season and when Forster is back.

Stekelenberg was willing to be a backup keeper in 2014/15. If he joins he'll play a lot of next season and could also feature in cup games when Forster is back.

Fraser Forster is our long term first choice and will play when he is fit again. Forster certainly didn't join us to play second fiddle to anyone.

Stekelenberg was willing to be a backup keeper in 2014/15. If he joins he'll play a lot of next season and could also feature in cup games when Forster is back.

Fraser Forster is our long term first choice and will play when he is fit again. Forster certainly didn't join us to play second fiddle to anyone.

yeah this

Unless Stekelenburg keeps his place through good form.

I know that Forster is our no1. Obviously.

But S-Clarke was saying Stekelenberg would still be the no2 even with Forster out injured.

That was what I disagreed with, although would be great if it did happen like that. If we sign Stekelenburg it will be to play him for most of the season until Forster is fully fit, not to sit him on the bench.

Also expect a GK could be our first signing as a crucial position and by a million miles our weakest currently.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I'd say Stekelenburg is a pretty good option to start the season with Forster out. Who else is realistically on our radar?

Maarten Stekelenburg started in the 2010 World Cup finals. He is certainly qualified. If he has any ambition at all :

01) He should consider the chance to start for a top 7 Premier League team as an opportunity to impress not only Koeman, but potentially other suitors down the line [especially if he drops back to 2nd choice upon Forster's return].

02) He should look at this as an opportunity to impress and take away Forster's starting spot. I am not saying he could, but this should be his mindset.

Hasn't played a full season since 2010/11' date=' didn't have the best of times at his last three clubs, but I suppose given the circumstance its hard to find a keeper to fit our criteria and he'll definitely be an upgrade on our current keeper options despite his recent history / form.[/quote']

Is it that hard to entice someone decent (not that MS isn't)? See point one in the post above yours. PL a great place to showcase yourself.

Seems like an Elia style signing if it happened. Obvious pedigree but that hasnt translated into good recent performances on a consistent basis.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Is it that hard to entice someone decent (not that MS isn't)? See point one in the post above yours. PL a great place to showcase yourself.

Seems like an Elia style signing if it happened. Obvious pedigree but that hasnt translated into good recent performances on a consistent basis.

Well I think it is more of a case of availability? How many good goalkeepers are out there and available for loan for a season?

This could work. We have some decent coaches at our club now, especially goal keeping coaches. If he can come in and pull his finger out he'll do well. He's not been bothered for a while but that was the same as Boruc before we got him. Hopefully Stekelenburg will have a full pre season and be ready to go next season.

He didn't fail at Fulham you plank. He got was first choice when he got injured, when he came back Felix Magarth was appointed shortly after and they didn't get on. I don't think I'd trust his judgement of a players ability. He's a way, way better than we have available at the moment.

He was so, so bad for Fulham.

Was he?

He was signed by Martin Jol and was injured on his debut in August 2013 and returned in late October, when Felix Magath took over he fell out of favour for reasons unknown (could be anything with Magath in charge!).

What did he do wrong exactly brief number of Premier league games? That is a tiny sample in comparison to his 400+ senior game career for Ajax, Roma and Holland. He must have been doing something pretty well previously.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I'd be happy enough with him if he was content to sit on the bench as number 2 for Forster when he returns. It's hard enough to recruit for that position. Maybe being in Europa would sway him that there'd be enough matches for the two of them.

Uh oh...just messaged my Fulham (season ticket holder) supporting mate and he came back with this....

Hi mate! Probably one of the worst big name goalkeepers out there. He is absolutely horrendous. Can't catch a thing, terrible communication with defenders and no presence at all. Undoubtedly one of the many big reasons for us getting relegated. So for your sakes I hope you don't get him!!!

If anyone can get the best out of him, Koeman can.

Gulp.

Wasn't Kelvin known as "Komedy Kelvin" by Sunderland fans. They thought the same. Meanwhile 300 games later.......

He didn't fail at Fulham you plank. He got was first choice when he got injured, when he came back Felix Magarth was appointed shortly after and they didn't get on. I don't think I'd trust his judgement of a players ability. He's a way, way better than we have available at the moment.

Sorry, was just going on what Stekelenburg said himself, but sure you are right.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/481389/My-time-at-Fulham-was-a-FAILURE-Maarten-Stekelenburg-eyes-Craven-Cottage-exit

He is probably miles better than Davis and Gazzaniga but so is Gerhard Tremmel.

Wasn't Kelvin known as "Komedy Kelvin" by Sunderland fans. They thought the same. Meanwhile 300 games later.......

He was. He played in the PL only for them though.

Whilst he has been superb for Saints in the Football League he was not great in the PL for us either...

He was so, so bad for Fulham. People just assume anyone is better than Davis or Gazza, but he didn't look much different in this league to me, and has barely played since.

Really hope we can do better than this. Yes Forster is long term no 1 but he might not even play next season. We really want to risk a season without a decent keeper?

He's kind've done a Boruc and just fallen out of love with football a bit. He needs a new challenge and a huge kick up the arse. He's got immense talent if he wants to use it. I have no doubts that coming here would be the new lease of life he needs.

Yes, he was, terrible. You are welcome to disagree but it's your opinion, don't just assume someone didn't watch.

Stats are all well and good but we're playing in the Premier League in 2015, not the Dutch league in 2008.

How many of Fulham's games did you watch?

Yes, he was, terrible. You are welcome to disagree but it's your opinion, don't just assume someone didn't watch.

Stats are all well and good but we're playing in the Premier League in 2015, not the Dutch league in 2008.

So the management that took us to our record points total are happy(if true we are signing him), the England goalkeeping coach is ok our 'famed' network of scouts and black box recommends it but you think he is sh1te......I have watched him a few times and he is decent - think I will take their word rather than yours.

Two of his games for Fulham were against Saints, we won 3-0 and 2-0 but he wasn't at fault for any of the 5 goals, nor did he make any notable errors and he actually made few good saves. His problem at Fulham appeared to me that the team in front of him was terrible defensively.

Fulham 0 Saints 3 http://www.player.saintsfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3650415/date/20140202235800/page/0/name/extended-highlights--fulham-0-3-saints

Saints 2 Fulham 0 http://www.player.saintsfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3512956/date/20131027235900/page/0/name/extended-highlights--saints-2-0-fulham

I was at both games.

Two of his games for Fulham were against Saints, we won 3-0 and 2-0 but he wasn't at fault for any of the 5 goals, nor did he make any notable errors and he actually made few good saves. His problem at Fulham appeared to me that the team in front of him was terrible defensively.

Fulham 0 Saints 3 http://www.player.saintsfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3650415/date/20140202235800/page/0/name/extended-highlights--fulham-0-3-saints

Saints 2 Fulham 0 http://www.player.saintsfc.co.uk/latest-news/article/3512956/date/20131027235900/page/0/name/extended-highlights--saints-2-0-fulham

Whilst there is no doubting Fulham as a team were terrible that season, when he came back from injury he couldn't displace David Stockdale (now at Brighton) from the team. Anyone know why that is?

As I said, I have some reservations about him but understand that our criteria for a stop-gap keeper does reduce our number of options in the market. I'm hopeful that he can do a job for us, and whilst I do trust Koeman's judgement lets not just blindly assume everyone he brings in works - Elia is an example.

Whilst there is no doubting Fulham as a team were terrible that season' date=' when he came back from injury he couldn't displace David Stockdale (now at Brighton) from the team. Anyone know why that is?[/quote']

He was dropped by a manager who told a player to soak cheese in alcohol and put in on an injury overnight.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/felix-magath-told-brede-hangeland-4302673

Magath-cheese.jpg

If Felix Magath drops you then it could be for any number of bizarre reasons, it is not necessarily a reflection on your footballing ability.

Edited by Matthew Le God

He was dropped by a manager who told a player to soak cheese in alcohol and put in on an injury overnight.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/felix-magath-told-brede-hangeland-4302673

Magath-cheese.jpg

If Felix Magath drops you then it could be for any number of bizarre reasons, it is not necessarily a reflection on your footballing ability.

Lets face it. If Felix Magath was ever appointed as our manager, you would be straight on here declaring that the "cheese cure" to be the greatest thing since................. well, sliced bread. :mcinnes:

Source?

I have a contact at the club who doesn't really know much about football but hears the odd snippet.

I'm led to believe we approached Fulham a few weeks back and were informed that Monaco were sending him back so they were "open to offers" - can imagine he's on a fairly decent wage and makes sense for Fulham to try and get rid.

FWIW, I'd be happy with MS as a stop-gap. Certainly not a challenge to FF for the number 1 spot when fit but will certainly do a job for us.