Callum Slattery Signs Pro Deal

ErwinK1961

That is very positive, he's a very sought after youngster. Lots of clubs were circling, i believe he even had numerous offers. He knows where he's best at.

Has he signed because he's just turned 17?

Seems like he's been 16 for about 3 years with all the Arsenal links in the press.

Has he signed because he's just turned 17?

Seems like he's been 16 for about 3 years with all the Arsenal links in the press.

He's had numerous offers from what I heard, all on the table. I think you're right in that he could only sign once he was 17 - but he could have gone elsewhere.

He's had numerous offers from what I heard, all on the table. I think you're right in that he could only sign once he was 17 - but he could have gone elsewhere.

Interesting. Where did you hear this from? Which clubs were offering him deals?

I know 1 or 2 people close to the academy, so i can get a good idea about stuff like this. Obviously it's not total gospel, but he had the 'big 4' , Liverpool and a couple of European clubs hovering. He is known as one of the most exciting prospects we have produced, which is why he's been so closely guarded. The club know this kid is the real thing.

I know 1 or 2 people close to the academy, so i can get a good idea about stuff like this. Obviously it's not total gospel, but he had the 'big 4' , Liverpool and a couple of European clubs hovering. He is known as one of the most exciting prospects we have produced, which is why he's been so closely guarded. The club know this kid is the real thing.

That reminds me actually, I believe Bayern were mentioned at one point as having an interest.

The next messi

Thanks for the replies.

He certainly looks promising and could be the real deal.

Am ashamed to say I'd not heard of him until today.

Arsenal definitely. A Stoke youth coach told me about him, how good he was and how the bigger clubs were after him and was amazed that I'd not heard of him. Very, very highly rated by everyone apparently, but I wouldn't know him from Adam.

Edited by View From The Top

Arsenal definitely. A Stoke youth coach told me about him, how good he was and how the bigger clubs were after him and was amazed that I'd not heard of him. Very, very highly rated by everyone apparently, but he wouldn't know him from Adam.

Falls in line with some of the other kids we've produced where you start hearing whispers about them around the age of 15...

CIIqj6RWgAEcC1F.png

http://t.co/C4OPakE86j

Youngster Callum Slattery has agreed a long-term professional contract, Southampton Football Club is happy to announce.

The midfielder will begin a two-year scholarship on 1st July, with his professional deal kicking in when he turns 17 next February.

Slattery was a regular for Southampton’s Under-18s last season, making 25 appearances and netting three goals – including a spectacular strike in an FA Youth Cup victory over West Ham.

He also made his Development Squad debut last season, coming off the bench during an Under-21 Premier League Cup victory over Norwich City at the age of 15.

Slattery is the current captain of England Under-16s, skippering them to victory in the Montaigu Tournament earlier this year.

Executive Director of Football Les Reed commented: “This is a fantastic opportunity for Callum to follow in the footsteps of a long line of homegrown players at this club.

“Callum has demonstrated the desire and talent to strive for first-team football at Southampton. He knows this will require the same level of hard work and dedication previous demonstrated by the likes of Gareth Bale and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, and more recently by fellow midfielders James Ward-Prowse and Harrison Reed.

“Following the signing of two young foreign talents, it is important that we continue to demonstrate that homegrown players remain a priority at this club and the pipeline is still flowing.

“Callum has the correct profile to follow the pathway to the first team we have created – he has been brought up in ‘the Southampton Way’.

Edited by trousers

Thanks for the replies.

He certainly looks promising and could be the real deal.

Am ashamed to say I'd not heard of him until today.

Have to say i only started following him after that cracking goal he scored last season in the Youth Cup. Brilliant news

Another potential; star coming out of the Academy is something to celebrate, just as the club are, not to get all depressed and miserable about it. If we can believe the press, Callum has already had the opportunity to move his development elsewhere, although believing the press is a very big IF, but the fact is that by taking a two-year scholarship and undertaking to sign a contract on his 17th birthday in February, he, and no doubt his family, have made the decision that this is where he wants to be. As for whether he will move elsewhere in time, there are so many imponderable factors that it is pointless to speculate. We don't know what level of competition this club might be in in another 4 years; o one knows whether any of the super rich clubs will implode if a wealthy backer walks away, and new rules to create a more even playing field for clubs to hold on to their talent and compete fairly remains a possibility that some administrators do want to see.

We have a great potential first team payer in Callum Slattery, just as we have in others such as Ryan Seagar. The production line is still flowing.

If I read this correctly, he has done nothing but make a non-binding promise to sign a contract next February. Am I missing something?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/13347198.Slattery_signs_first_Saints_pro_deal/

I believe you can't sign a pro deal will you turn 17 and the 8th Feb is when that happens for this guy, he'll have signed a final youth contract that will commit him to the pro contract at a guess

If I read this correctly, he has done nothing but make a non-binding promise to sign a contract next February. Am I missing something?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/13347198.Slattery_signs_first_Saints_pro_deal/

i don't quite understand it either, but he's legally allowed to sign contracts by the law of the land, if not by the law of the football authorities. it may be that there's a contract to sign a contract that is good enough.

So the key thing is to keep him happy until February without letting him look too good. Then keep him happy until he turns 18 without letting him look too good and then sign him to a five year contract. Let him look good and then sell him after one year. I think that more or less summarizes what we did with Shaw--except his birthday was in the summer which made it easier.

So the key thing is to keep him happy until February without letting him look too good. Then keep him happy until he turns 18 without letting him look too good and then sign him to a five year contract. Let him look good and then sell him after one year. I think that more or less summarizes what we did with Shaw--except his birthday was in the summer which made it easier.

His pre-contract agreement is legally binding so really his 18th birthday is the big milestone. That's a long way away so for now we just have to manage his development properly.