Schneiderlin Joins Manchester United (Official)

Bewildered

If Morgan does go I hope we all wish him well. He has been a terrific servant to the club and really knuckled down last season. 25 million for a player who cost us less than 1 million is good business.

Lets hope we have the replacements lined up already - if we can get 2 midfielders like CLasie and Idrissa in and still have money left over then, in theory, we will have strengthened the squad. Guess time will tell but sure Morgan will be a big success if he goes to United.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-seal-25m-morgan-5961252

Mirror saying Morgan will join Manchester United on Wednesday.

According to that article we stopped Morgan going to Arsenal last summer....which is news to me. Man U are going to have the most expensive and bloated squad ever if they buy all the players the press have got them linked with.

If 29 is old, then I might as well retire myself.

Sorry I wasn't aware you were a professional premier League football player .

Why replace a 25 year old with a 29 year old ? What about the often mentioned statement of intent ?

Clasie at 23 seems a better bet

I'm all for signing young players, but you can't just write off international/CL level players who aren't even 30 yet. The bonus with Cabaye is that he's proven in this league, terrific for Newcastle and highly sought after before his mistaken move to PSG.

At 29, he's probably still got 4-5 years at the top. And his top level is a lot better than Clasie's at this moment in time. Midfield is such an important part of the team, and personally, I'm tempted to go with a bit of PL experience in there. You can't shrug at the potential signing of Cabaye.

How many 34 year old elite

midfielders are playing the premier League ?

Cabaye would have to very cheap as there is no resale value and at his age one injury could end it . We would be back where we started .

I just can't see it .

We'll sign him for the first 3 years of a 4 or 5 year deal and probably ship him out after that. No mature player has resale value if their contract expires, it makes little difference.

Because after a game last season he probably joked about him signing for Liverpool with a bit of a smirk on his face? So what? Some people need to get a grip, it's not like he's a representative of Liverpool meeting clyne and his agent at a secret location is it?

No ...............but he's still a c*nt

How many 34 year old elite

midfielders are playing the premier League ?

Cabaye would have to very cheap as there is no resale value and at his age one injury could end it . We would be back where we started .

I just can't see it .

I agree with this, our model seems to be based more on signing younger players from lesser leagues who have room to develop and we then sell for a profit, Cabaye really doesn't seem like a Saints signing. Presumably would be pretty expensive both in fee and wages, with as you say little resale value.

Would certainly prefer Clasie myself.

I agree with this, our model seems to be based more on signing younger players from lesser leagues who have room to develop and we then sell for a profit, Cabaye really doesn't seem like a Saints signing. Presumably would be pretty expensive both in fee and wages, with as you say little resale value.

Would certainly prefer Clasie myself.

We need some more experienced players to help the progress of the younger ones. Put a MF of JWP, Reed inthe side week in/week out , it might rapidly destroy their confidence.

May not be the fashionable view of the Saints model, but I remember seeing Alan Ball developing the youngsters around him. We can still 'develop' the young incomers, but probably better and quicker with some experience around them.

Cabaye wouldn't come in as a Schneiderlin replacement, they're very different players.

when we have wanyama and reed are we definitely in the market for a schneiderlin replacement? we played schneiderlin because he was one of our best players, but not necessarily because it was part of the desired system.

when we have wanyama and reed are we definitely in the market for a schneiderlin replacement? we played schneiderlin because he was one of our best players, but not necessarily because it was part of the desired system.

Potentially, although I think we are after 2 midfielders to help out after losing Cork as well, along with the fact that Davis isn't really that good in that further forward position.

Express (BBC Gossip) says we have both Classie and Gueye lined up to come in, 10m and 7m respectively.

Cabaye wouldn't come in as a Schneiderlin replacement, they're very different players. I think he'd come in as a Davis replacement, which would be a massive upgrade.

This. Would be an excellent signing, not sure I can see it happening but would be a great move if so

One of the best players if not the best I've been fortunate enough to watch in a Saints shirt. Pure class, and begrudgingly he really deserves a big move.

Cabaye in would be great but would have thought a CL club would be in for him? Very surprised if we can pull that one off and would be a great addition especially with Europa games coming up.

I wish Morgan well, he did well last season when we needed to steady the ship.

The club has known fro long enough that he would go so hopefully a strategy to fill the void has been planned some time ago.

Let's see.

Go God - I find myself agreeing with every word of your post Dalek

Adios Morgan. One of the most overrated players we've ever had. In the championship was arguably third choice behind Hammond and Cork, In league one Couldn't get in the team ahead of Wotton and Chaplow. Doesnt score anywhere near enough, rarely passes forward always sideways and backwards. No coincidence that he looks better once we signed Wanyama. Will spend his time on the bench watching an over the hill Carrick but at least his wallet will be thicker. We've mugged Man United again, £54m for an overrated stroppy frog who only passes sideways and a fat full back who can't cross :lol:

£25m sound like a pretty decent price to me, Morgan is a decent player but nothing astonishing. Some talk as if he is the be all and end all of our team but we've had some good results without him and some poor results with him in the side. We will reinvest and move on.

I used to think it was a no brainer that we should try to sign young players who would be with us long term and really build something, but it's become obvious now that it isn't going to happen that way. If they are young and any good, they will be looking to move on as soon as possible, which is fair enough and means the only reason to get younger players is that we can sell them for a higher price.

Surprised if the quoted fee is correct as I see Morgan as a fringe international, not first choice for France and short of world class. Replaceable and bearing in mind his record on Yellow cards a replacement might have better availability as the season progresses. Liked him, but it looks to be a good deal. What it does to the squad is entirely dependant on who takes his place.

I used to think it was a no brainer that we should try to sign young players who would be with us long term and really build something, but it's become obvious now that it isn't going to happen that way. If they are young and any good, they will be looking to move on as soon as possible, which is fair enough and means the only reason to get younger players is that we can sell them for a higher price.

That's always been the case though, even with the historically bigger clubs like Liverpool who can't hang on to Sterling, Torres and Suarez.

The alternative is buying older players who will just be old, crap an worth nothing in a few years. We're better off having young talent and selling them in their prime for big money.

Sorry I wasn't aware you were a professional premier League football player .

Why replace a 25 year old with a 29 year old ? What about the often mentioned statement of intent ?

Clasie at 23 seems a better bet

Age has nothing to do with intent. Anyway they may see some worth in having a player that isn't going to **** off the first time some big club **** says you should play for us when they are walking off the pitch .

Age has nothing to do with intent. Anyway they may see some worth in having a player that isn't going to **** off the first time some big club **** says you should play for us when they are walking off the pitch .

No, probably not because he's already been there and done that...twice. Anyway Thiago Motta seems set to leave PSG so we'll have to see just how that affects the Cabaye situation.