Chris Squire RIP

sadoldgit

Those of a certain age who were into Prog Rock in the 70s will, I am sure, be sad to hear that Chris Squire the bassist with Yes has passed away at the young age of 67. Along with John Entwhistle he was one of the best bass players on the rock scene and did wonders for the sale of Rickenbacker basses I'm sure. RIP Chris.

I'm sorry to hear that news. I saw Yes at the Mayflower when it was the Gaumont on the Relayer tour. One of the best live gigs I've ever been to.

Hi Throbber, Relayer was a great album. My first Yes gig was back in 1972 when Close to the Edge came out and have seen them many times since. That line up was probably their best and it is sad that Squire and Anderson fell out in recent years and that Yes went on with a singer from a Yes tribute band. Still, we have those memories!

I'm sorry to hear that news. I saw Yes at the Mayflower when it was the Gaumont on the Relayer tour. One of the best live gigs I've ever been to.

Me too, i went on 2 of the 3 nights, 1st and last and I rank both as two of the best gigs I've ever been to!!

Also saw them at Reading Festival 75? and The Going For The One Tour at Wemley Empire Pool.

Lost interest when they became The Yuggles!!

RIP Chris and thanks for the memories.

Someone lent me The Yes Album, must have been in 1970. From the first note of Yours Is No Disgrace I was hooked. A group of very gifted musicians, fantastic music and great ensemble playing. The growling Rickenbacker was a big feature. Agree that it went downhill when the Buggles joined but they continued to make good music after that. No one lives for ever and it is very sad when your musical heroes pass away. Chris Squire will live on through his music.

RIP Chris Squire. Saw them at the Winter Gardens in 1973. A bit of Stravinsky's Firebird Suite and some Close to the Edge stuff, but mainly Tales from Topographic Oceans. I remember it was a long but brilliant gig. Was always struck by the clarity of Jon Anderson's vocals.

I would never say Yes were one of my favourite bands of my teenage years, but Close To The Edge and Relayer are two of my favourite albums. Squire's bass playing is quite distinctive as Entwistle's was for The Who.

Sad that Squire's passing has scarcely made a ripple in the news

I would never say Yes were one of my favourite bands of my teenage years, but Close To The Edge and Relayer are two of my favourite albums. Squire's bass playing is quite distinctive as Entwistle's was for The Who.

It was on BBCs newsfeed online so I assumed there would be something on the TV, but nothing. I don't think Jack Bruce's passing made the TV either. There has been a lot on FB. I guess with the massacre in Tunisia it got pushed out of the schedules.

If you like those two albums Throbber I can recommend Going For The One if you haven't heard it. Not a duff track on the album and two ass kicking rock tracks in the title track and Parallels. That and one of the best Yes tracks ever in Awaken. They could disappear up their own backsides at times but when they were on their game they were immense. Parallels was also written by Squire and has his distinctive bass grumbling away underneath.

If you like those two albums Throbber I can recommend Going For The One if you haven't heard it. Not a duff track on the album and two ass kicking rock tracks in the title track and Parallels. That and one of the best Yes tracks ever in Awaken. They could disappear up their own backsides at times but when they were on their game they were immense. Parallels was also written by Squire and has his distinctive bass grumbling away underneath.

Pretty much agree with everything you've both said!!

Going For The One is probably my favourite, but Relayer and Close to The Edge are right up there too.

Rocking along to Going For The One at this very moment. :adore:

Going For The One is probably my favourite, but Relayer and Close to The Edge are right up there too.

Me too!

Me too!

Yessongs on in the car at present.

Still humming Heart of the Sunrise.

"Sharp. Distance."

A bit early in the year but at Christmas play Run With The Fox. Chris Squire and Alan White's Christmas single.

I played Yessongs to death when I was younger. The best from Close To The Edge, Fragile and The Yes Album with the classic line up of Anderson, Bruford, Howe, Squire and Wakeman. Still cant work out what the hell the lyrics were all about but somehow it didn't matter, it all worked!

I do use Spotify quite a lot. I also download stuff, but if I like it, then I get it from Amazon. I was looking at the Yes catalogue on Amazon yesterday and saw Yessongs and Tales From Topographic Oceans there. I seem to remember the latter getting slated when it was released and I didn't much bother with Yes again after that. Reviews on Amazon suggest the album was better than people have suggested

Tales was better than some of the critics gave it credit for but probably would have made a better single album. Rick Wakeman wasn't happy with playing the whole thing on tour and left after they toured with it. Subsequently they only played one part of it if any on tour. It was followed by Relayer which is one of their best and there output after that was patchy. They still came up with some classics though. Going For The One as said before plus some good stuff when Trevor Rabin joined on guitar in the 80s. 90125 and Talk were really good. They also did an album with an orchestra called Magnification which is worth a listen. If you can pick up Tales cheaply go for it. The first side is probably as good as Close To The Edge and there are some good Yes moments on the rest of it.