RELEASED: Dani Osvaldo - Official

Saint-Armstrong

Simon Peach: I am led to believe Dani Osvaldo cost #SaintsFC in the region of £25million when you add up transfer fee, wages & termination agreement.

Shocking. How can someone who clearly violated his contract end up costing the club so much?

Simon Peach: I am led to believe Dani Osvaldo cost #SaintsFC in the region of £25million when you add up transfer fee, wages & termination agreement.

£13m of that is the transfer fee? So £12m over two seasons in wages and severance agreement!?! Some money back from Juventus, Inter, and Boca but still, what a mistake he has turned out to be.

Please please please please turn up at Spurs on a free.

Would imagine he'll end up at Boca. They have said they wanted him back (for some reason) but only on another loan /free transfer.

I really hope we replace him as our record signing sooner rather than later. It'll be worse than being stuck on Delap for a decade.

Yeah, whilst we free up a big load of wages, "Saving money" in this instance is a relative term.

Yep - as others have said, you'd presume Saints are saving a bit of money doing this, but if he was due to earn £60k a week for the next two years and we've paid him off at 50k a week, we've only really free'd up 10k a week of wages (for example) in terms of money saved.

But the club must have been really desperate to see him go - they could have waited until the 1st September to do this.

Yep - as others have said, you'd presume Saints are saving a bit of money doing this, but if he was due to earn £60k a week for the next two years and we've paid him off at 50k a week, we've only really free'd up 10k a week of wages (for example) in terms of money saved.

But the club must have been really desperate to see him go - they could have waited until the 1st September to do this.

Indeed - Otherwise couldn't we have just sold him to a Boca or someone for free?

(but then wouldn't have had to pay off his remaining contract)

flushing-money-o.gif

The one positive I see from this is that it showed that Saints, newly promoted, were happy to be serious in the transfer market. Yes, it didn't work and was a waste of money, but him and Gaston showed that we were prepared to sign players of a certain calibre. Now we have added Koeman to the mix, that also helps.

The one positive I see from this is that it showed that Saints, newly promoted, were happy to be serious in the transfer market. Yes, it didn't work and was a waste of money, but him and Gaston showed that we were prepared to sign players of a certain calibre. Now we have added Koeman to the mix, that also helps.

I don't see using Osvaldo or Gaston's transfer moves as ANY positive! :)

Hey, on the plus side, this moves the legend that is Mayuka closer to the 1st team.

I can see the point to a degree, Gaston and Osvaldo looked a bit 'Robinho to Man City.'

They didn't work out, yet this set a marker for our intent, albeit to a more limited extent.

Edited by Colinjb

I believe the Cubs' Legal Eagles will have activated the clause 'Frustration of Contract' and his Agent has had to accept some small form of recompense.

Hope this is right - sounds like it could/should be. Either way, money well spent to see him on his way and as well as the legal eagles, I`m sure the financial whizz kids at SMS are `content` with the outcome.

I wouldn't get too worried about the £25m figure - I doubt Peach knows regardless of what he has been led to believe. Anyway, we can remember the Man City goal and draw a line under this sorry affair.

Why would it be significantly different to that given the size of the transfer and high wages?

A shadow lifted. Interestingly, Ramirez remains at the club it would appear ready to take up a Europa league place in the squad. Also, there was a comment made on the training video clip from the club that made the point that Morgan was training with the squad - a sign he might be staying? Is his £25M valuation too high for United or whoever to come and get him?

Also, there was a comment made on the training video clip from the club that made the point that Morgan was training with the squad - a sign he might be staying?

He is contracted to Southampton, its merely him doing as he should and turning up to work on a Monday morning.

Interestingly, Ramirez remains at the club it would appear ready to take up a Europa league place in the squad.

Ramirez might be used by Saints this season, but him turning up to work on a day he expected to isn't really a sign that he won't leave this summer.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It may be that the termination was beneficial to Osvaldo, enough to allow him to negotiate a lucrative contract with say Boca. By freeing him there may have just been a ex gratia payment so that he can sign for somebody without fees etc. It would make little sense otherwise. Saints may have got out of jail there.

I'm shocked if we paid him anything to terminate. I would have thought the negotiation would go:

- Us: "Look, you want out, we want out, so let's see. Your value maybe not quite what it was, so you won't get the same wages at another club. On the other hand, if we release you you will be able to claim whatever a club would have paid for you as your personal signing bonus. Maybe you'll lose £3m in wages over next two years... but you can more than make that up in a signing bonus. You're not claiming your value has plummeted by more than 75% are you? Are you??? And if that doesn't appeal, last time we checked head butting a team mate is cause for contract cancellation plus a lawsuit for damages. So we can go that route if you prefer. But why feed the lawyers? Just go."

- Osvaldo's agent, who now has complete flexibility on stiffing some other club. "If you insist..."

I'm still chuckling that some on here had thought he'd just breezed back in and was cracking on with pre-season training on Monday without any fuss :lol:

Surely no-one seriously believed that did they? I can only guess you must mean the bright spark(s) who could not tell the difference between Osvaldo and Gazza.

Woohoo! Will no doubt free up some wages, but guess we would have paid up his contract (or come to some sort of agreement with him)

I doubt we have to pay anything up. I would strongly suspect he was in breach of contract. Also we would have had home here in the corner of a field training on his own if the contract was binding still which I very much doubt Osvaldo would want...

Suspect he walked or was sacked for not turning up for training - again..... He was in so many contract breaches there is no way he would have been paid up...