RELEASED: Dani Osvaldo - Official

Saint-Armstrong

Simon Peach: I am led to believe Dani Osvaldo cost #SaintsFC in the region of £25million when you add up transfer fee, wages & termination agreement.

Fairly confident that is rubbish, we have not activated any of the clauses in the transfer deal so straight away the fee reduces to something like £9m... Plus he has been on loan for 1 or 2 seasons? and got a whopper fine for half the first one following newcastle and Fonte. Not to mention sizeable loan fees from his various clubs. Basically, if we spent anywhere near 16million on his first season's wages and buying out the end of it I'll be amazed.

Fairly confident that is rubbish, we have not activated any of the clauses in the transfer deal so straight away the fee reduces to something like £9m... Plus he has been on loan for 1 or 2 seasons? and got a whopper fine for half the first one following newcastle and Fonte. Not to mention sizeable loan fees from his various clubs. Basically, if we spent anywhere near 16million on his first season's wages and buying out the end of it I'll be amazed.

Peachy heard about it before Saints announced it, but I can't imagine the club informed him of that price (£25m) because surely you'd want it kept quiet?

Sure but say £13m fee and £60k a week for 4 years = £25m and a bit. Easy to come up with that figure. As you say, loan fees, deferred wages to the club having him, agreement for early termination etc etc all go to lower the £25m figure. But it is somewhat semantics as it was an expensive mistake whatever the real figure.

The one positive I see from this is that it showed that Saints, newly promoted, were happy to be serious in the transfer market. Yes, it didn't work and was a waste of money, but him and Gaston showed that we were prepared to sign players of a certain calibre. Now we have added Koeman to the mix, that also helps.

There's a degree of truth to this.

A lot of United fans were happy to overpay for Di Maria just to prove that they were still a massive club who could make massive signings even in their season outside the Champions League.

The transfer market has a strong element of *****-waving to it these days.

Would have hoped that Osvaldo had caused enough trouble that he'd have been in breach of his contract and we'd have been able to terminate it without paying it out. (and that we hadn't done this previously as we were hopefully recoup some of his transfer fee).

And if we are still paying him a severance of sorts, would have hoped that these payments would cease once he found employment again elsewhere.

Although I know nothing about employment contracts, so have no idea whether either of those are realistic scenarios.

there might not have been any loan fees (we were desperate to get him out the door and the `buying' clubs new it) and we may even have been paying a significant proportion of his wages too (who knows?). Whatever the final amount it won't look good on a profit and loss sheet.

Strange signing and an expensive mistake. when you factor in his wages and transfer fee each game must have cost us about £2m. Who is to blame is another matter. The default view is that Pochentino wanted him, however it was clear when he came here he wanted to be the main man and play up front as the lone striker. When you look at his apperances that rarely happened, often our style or formation was changed to accomodate him and Lambert, If Pochetino had signed him then you'd expect him to back his man and give him a run in the side in his best postion. Les Reed has actively distanced himself from this shambles so with the fact that Osvaldo was a nail in his coffin then you can only look as far as Cortese. This is what happens when a man with no football knowledge tries playing a real life game of football manager. Yet another expensive mistake from our much lauded former CEO.

How would he be causing trouble? He wouldn't train with us and it gives us another two months to find someone to take him off our hands without the need for severance pay.

I'd imagine this deal works out better for Saints than loaning him out periodically for the next 2 years. Just get rid of him and draw the line.

It wouldn't surprise me if Osvaldo has already agreed a deal with another club and Saints agreed to cancel his contract with practically nothing by way of severance pay. Almost as if we'd sold him to another club, for £0 in effect.

As well as getting a decent % off the wage bill, we've got a total **** out of the club.

Good stuff.

If we paid his contract up then the first part of your statement is not strictly true. The money we paid him is not now available for anyone else. Agree totally with the second part though.

If we paid his contract up then the first part of your statement is not strictly true. The money we paid him is not now available for anyone else. Agree totally with the second part though.

There is no way on Earth we'd have done that. Pay him two years wages up front and send him off to go and earn even more money at another club? In Osvaldo's dreams maybe.

Whatever we've given him it is clearly a better deal than hanging on to him and making money from loaning him out and getting someone else to pay half his wages. I'd be surprised if we gave him much more than a couple of months pay, with a view to him joining Boca.

Strange signing and an expensive mistake. when you factor in his wages and transfer fee each game must have cost us about £2m. Who is to blame is another matter. The default view is that Pochentino wanted him, however it was clear when he came here he wanted to be the main man and play up front as the lone striker. When you look at his apperances that rarely happened, often our style or formation was changed to accomodate him and Lambert, If Pochetino had signed him then you'd expect him to back his man and give him a run in the side in his best postion. Les Reed has actively distanced himself from this shambles so with the fact that Osvaldo was a nail in his coffin then you can only look as far as Cortese. This is what happens when a man with no football knowledge tries playing a real life game of football manager. Yet another expensive mistake from our much lauded former CEO.

Not sure many on here laud him any more. Hero to zero in record time but there were plenty who thought he was the dogs ******** at the time

There is no way on Earth we'd have done that. Pay him two years wages up front and send him off to go and earn even more money at another club? In Osvaldo's dreams maybe.

Whatever we've given him it is clearly a better deal than hanging on to him and making money from loaning him out and getting someone else to pay half his wages. I'd be surprised if we gave him much more than a couple of months pay, with a view to him joining Boca.

Thats still 480k

Not sure many on here laud him any more. Hero to zero in record time but there were plenty who thought he was the dogs ******** at the time

He's just looking for bites. You don't take a club from administration in League 1 to the top half of the Premier League by being a complete half wit but nobody is going to disagree that Osvaldo was probably his low point. A complete vanity project if ever there was one.

To be fair I backed him up to the Fonte incident but that was out of desperate hope more than anything that he would sort his **** out with us. Im actually marginally more livid at Mauricio for forcing this signing more than I am for his ditching us for the London pretenders.

It is worth noting that Southampton took 6.51 million pounds for impairment of intangible fixed assets in 2014. Presumably, not all of that was for Osvaldo, but some of it was. There may have also taken some additional impairment for the fiscal year ending in 2015. For accounting and FFP purposes, that means that some of the loss has already been taken. In fact, if they knew he was going to be paid off and released July 1, all of the accounting loss may have already been taken this past season.

Fairly confident that is rubbish, we have not activated any of the clauses in the transfer deal so straight away the fee reduces to something like £9m... Plus he has been on loan for 1 or 2 seasons? and got a whopper find ne for half the first one following newcastle and Font te. Not to mention sizeable loan fees from his various clubs. Basically, if we spent anywhere near 16million on his first season's wages and buying out the end of it I'll be amazed.

What ever fine he got for Newcastle and Jose it would have only been 2 weeks wages max as that is the maximum permissible.

With players seemingly holding all the cards plus a few extras up their sleeves, you would hope in the time that has elapsed the club have been able to armour their backsides enough to pull the plug on this waste of space at the minimum of expense.

In any other walk of life or job of work he would have ended up being sacked for his actions against Fonte.

True, but in most other walks of life there is no transfer fee involved and clearly that is what Saints were initially trying to protect !

As it turned out he was such a liability that no-one else was prepared to take a permanent risk on him, hence the loan deals !

As in all financial transactions you sometimes have to cut your losses and take the hit and that is what we did today !

The only 'silver lining' is that we can offset losses like this with profits like £16mil on Chambers and £12 mil on Lovren, I guess it kinda evens itself out over time !!

There must have been an advantage to us paying up / writing off his contract. I suspect a write off of wages is treated as an exceptional item and thus won't be an operating cost on our wages line.

I guess our wage bill has been reduced as far as FFP is concerned now so we can use that £60k or so a week on someone else.

I'm amazed at the £25M figure as that would push his wages towards £100K a week ! I would have guessed that Cortese blew the budget with £80K or so as Ramirez is on £75K a week.

I see that scumball Alex Crookof****e making a big deal of it on twitter.