Match fixing and betting - anyone had any experiences?

Crab Lungs

Just reading an article on match fixing and it made me recall last season and that I was fortunate enough to get a tip off on a few matches that were supposedly fixed. They were right across the world footballing spectrum, from Hungary to Ecuador to the English championship. These were all from the same tipster allegedly and 9/14 tips came in.

The markets were mostly halftime/full-time results and correct scores. In one instance, a correct score of 3-1 in a match happened when a penalty and terrible defending in the last ten minutes saw the score go from 2-0 to 3-1 and boom, correct score. Having seen the highlights it would appear that this game was a bit iffy but despite me happily cashing in the bet I did have a bit of a moral dilemma in a sense that I thought it was sad that the game I love could so easily be corrupted.

Has anyone else ever been tipped anything for football matches that were supposedly fixed?

Just reading an article on match fixing and it made me recall last season and that I was fortunate enough to get a tip off on a few matches that were supposedly fixed. They were right across the world footballing spectrum, from Hungary to Ecuador to the English championship. These were all from the same tipster allegedly and 9/14 tips came in.

The markets were mostly halftime/full-time results and correct scores. In one instance, a correct score of 3-1 in a match happened when a penalty and terrible defending in the last ten minutes saw the score go from 2-0 to 3-1 and boom, correct score. Having seen the highlights it would appear that this game was a bit iffy but despite me happily cashing in the bet I did have a bit of a moral dilemma in a sense that I thought it was sad that the game I love could so easily be corrupted.

Has anyone else ever been tipped anything for football matches that were supposedly fixed?

Not sure that I'd class that as fortunate, more illegal really if you think about it !

Hopefully nobody on here will shop you though :)

I was in Italy once and saw a match on the TV where the ref gave four dodgy penalties....you have to think that no ref is that bad.

The only time I've discussed it with a sportsman was when an international batsman told me how he thought he was playing brilliantly in a one day match and scored a century, but years later that very game was investigated and on reflection he realised that the opposition spent the whole innings bowling short to his strength on the offside - with not a single fielder on that boundary.

Every other game in the African cup of nations.

A few examples off the top of my head.

In 2010 Angola & Mali drew 4-4 despite Angola being 4-1 up after 87 minutes.

The Equatorial Guinea-Tunisia QF this year featured refereeing decisions that were nothing short of complete farce, I think the ref was banned from officiating long-term just on that one performance.

I also remember a match involving Senegal a few years ago where the other team were given a goal despite their striker being about 5 yards offside. The entire Senegalese coaching staff/subs bench ran on the pitch and surrounded the ref shortly afterwards.

I remember a F A Cup game about 14 years ago when the fancied side were 3-0 up at half-time and then contrived to lose 4-3 to a lower division team.

I heard it was all arranged by the losing team's manager, who at the time needed funds to support his failing "Spiritual Healing" business. When he was found out, he was quietly shunted off to some team of "yobbos" and then hardly ever worked again.

You still get the occasional idiot calling for him to be given his old job back.

I remember a F A Cup game about 14 years ago when the fancied side were 3-0 up at half-time and then contrived to lose 4-3 to a lower division team.

I heard it was all arranged by the losing team's manager, who at the time needed funds to support his failing "Spiritual Healing" business. When he was found out, he was quietly shunted off to some team of "yobbos" and then hardly ever worked again.

You still get the occasional idiot calling for him to be given his old job back.

Tends to be Doctor Who enthusiasts, strangely.

YES! I have had some experience with match betting. I was in St Mary's and there's a booth there where you can place a bet on pretty much anything, so I bet on Saints to win...which they did!!

I did it other times too but lost.

As with most conspiracy theories it all falls down on the number of people that would have to be able to flawlessly keep secrets, even when they're in a position with nothing to lose.

We've seen players come out with stories about spot-fixing in both football and cricket as well as seen lower-league players busted for getting deliberate yellow cards etc. so the idea that something as elaborate as actually fixing a specific result takes place seems well beyond belief. There's neither the means nor motivation to do it.