RAM or Processor?

I'm searching for a new laptop and budget means that I'm likely to have to choose either something with a Core i7 and 8GB memory or something with Core i5 and 12GB+ memory.

Which is going to serve me best for the next 5 years or so?

It will be used for basic photo and video editing, occaisional gaming (Football Manager) and the odd bit of home study. Of course surfing/email/iTunes etc too.

Cheers in advance.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I'm searching for a new laptop and budget means that I'm likely to have to choose either something with a Core i7 and 8GB memory or something with Core i5 and 12GB+ memory.

Which is going to serve me best for the next 5 years or so?

It will be used for basic photo and video editing, occaisional gaming (Football Manager) and the odd bit of home study. Of course surfing/email/iTunes etc too.

Cheers in advance.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Which model of each processor? Some i5s will out perform some i7s

Also need to see the rest of the spec on each laptop really

Personally, I'd go with the higher processor spec. RAM is always easy to upgrade on a laptop, if you ever feel like needing to. 8gb should be fine for most tasks though.

Performance wise, you'll notice the best boost with a good SSD hard drive. The other two have a combo of both, or a hybird SShd. Basically on the SSHD drives, there is a small portion of ''Solid State'' which cache frequently used applications etc, so loading times are quicker - but it's not true SSD.

With my laptop, I got one with a pure SSD and then bought an external HDD for 50 quid to increase my storage.

• 2 weeks later...

There's no way you're going to need more than 8GB of RAM on a laptop. Processor, chassis, screen and keyboard are the most important things when buying a laptop, everything else is easily upgradable. If you decide you want a touchscreen one, that'll add £50-100. If battery life is important, factor that in when you're searching/reading reviews; if it's going to spend most of the time plugged in, it's not such an important factor.