Worst goal against Saints

Yorkshire Saint

The worst though for me was Marcus Bent. It felt like that whole horrendous season had been crunched into one horrifically painful moment, added to the fact that I knew 100% that because of it we were going down. For about an hour afterwards my whole family didn't say a word to each other.

Nutshell

Dont know if it's been said, but the goal at Derby when there was a huge up and under and Paul Jones (I think) completely missed the ball and it bounced in.

It came down with snow on it.

May have been Anders Svensons first game?

We've had this one before. The answer for Saints fans of a certain age is Adrian Heath at Highbury in the cup semi-final in 1984. I was stood at the clock end and the collective sense of disappointment was horrible.

I was playing myself ( obviously not for saints ) the day of the Adrian Heath goal , so although gutted at the result it didn't quite have the sickening feeling it must have been watching it at the ground .

The Norris one was **** all , completely irrelevant in the context of history . The 4 at their place under Twitchy were all worse. The single most gutless performance I've seen in 40 years of watching .

I guess the worst one in terms of technique was Lurch's clearance and John Barnes rolling it back in whilst he scrabbled across the goal . But for a sinking feeling it had to be Bents . We played well and should have put it to bed, and Crouch was a complete numpty . That was the day I thought we're going down for the first time in nearly 3 decades .

Didn't particularly enjoy Radzinki's stoppage time winner against us for Everton at their place around 02/03, even though we were battered for virtually the whole game.

But yeah, Adrian Heath's probably the one, even though it was a few years before my time!

Growing up with Saints during the 90s/2000s there are plenty to choose from. Worst I've been there for is possibly the 3rd goal for the 3-4 against Leeds in the Championship years. 3-0 up at half time, after they equalised with about half an hour to play the 4th was inevitable. I remember listening to that Tranmere FA cup game as a kid on the radio and had a pretty similar sick feeling.

Just reminded myself of another..a 25 yarder in the cup up at the Memorial Ground from some lower league clogger, Lambert I think his name was...

The two Rochdale scored away to them mid week in L1... Just a miserable performance from us

After aborting the original journey up there somewhere around B'ham when we found the game was off and then enduring a horrific 6 hour drive across country to avoid the jams on the M6 on the rearranged Tuesday night I was half expecting the limp performance that greeted us.

All in I spent about 14 hours travelling to and from that fixture and we barely had a shot on target in a game that if we had won would have all but sealed promotion.

That Leon Best og, that was the most ridiculous, physics defying thing I've ever seen. How the hell did he manage to volley the ball backwards from there into the top corner? No idea how he did that.

Similar in some respects to the young lady's effort for England against Japan the other evening.

Growing up with Saints during the 90s/2000s there are plenty to choose from. Worst I've been there for is possibly the 3rd goal for the 3-4 against Leeds in the Championship years. 3-0 up at half time, after they equalised with about half an hour to play the 4th was inevitable. I remember listening to that Tranmere FA cup game as a kid on the radio and had a pretty similar sick feeling.

Just reminded myself of another..a 25 yarder in the cup up at the Memorial Ground from some lower league clogger, Lambert I think his name was...

If memory serves correctly we were 3 0 up with nineteen minutes left to play, AND we were at home, all of which made the loss extra-specially humiliating/embarrassing. Would be surprised if that effort has ever been "bettered" in the history of the league. MLG?

Worst goal - ironically scored by Best (Derby play off semi).

The goal that made no difference, at all, to anything. It is hilarious in hindsight.

I do not believe that at all. we were on for winning the league. we went on to lose at home to reading the next home game.

that goal was horrific.

Edited by Batman

Marcus f**king Bent....

On the same lines...

Stewart Downing for 'Boro in Twitchy's first game and our very own Steven Davis for Villa. That Everton goal was just the putrid icing on a festering cake of a season.

Downing's goal always sticks in my mind as my son burst into tears aged 6 when it went in......fair play he stood by Saints through all the bad times and is enjoying our success.

1971 home v Leeds. Score is 0-0 coming up to halftime. Denis Hollywood stops the ball on the goal-line and does his party piece of rolling the ball along the line for Eric Martin to pick up. Only he rolls the ball over the line. The stuffing is knocked out of us and we lose 3-0 to the hated Leeds with Fred Dineage sitting behind me in the press box beside himself with glee.