Worst goal against Saints

Yorkshire Saint

The other thread about the best goal celebration got me thinking about the most gut wrenching.

Obviously relegation was a killer etc but one that sticks out for me was Andy Ritchie for Oldham at the Dell after the ref (leister shapter ????) played stupid injury time and Oldham turned the game around in the quarter finals of the cup.

Then there's Adrian Heaths .... Any one got any more including footage ?

If you are of a certain age, it has to be without doubt Adrian Heath's goal for Everton late on in FA Cup Semi Final at Highbury.

Around the same era Anderlecht's late goal under the floodlights at The Dell after pulling back a 2 goal deficit when Jim Steele misjudged the bounce on a treacherous wet and muddy pitch.

More up to date, the jammy screamer The Skates got after the fiasco surrounding the was it or wasn't goal by Billy Sharp at SMS which got the pikeys a futile but heroic point!!

From the responses so far you've all taken "worst" to mean "most upsetting/disappointing/annoying" in the context of result or season. I prefer to consider it in terms of aesthetically horrible or just bloody stupid without context.

In which case I am proposing the goal when Paul Jones decided not to defend a bouncing near-vertical sky-hoof on his own goal-line.

Lambert's winner at Swansea in 2013/14 in the last minute off his shoulder about half an inch out was equally unappealing but I liked it a lot more.

Stuart Barlow for Tranmere in 'that' game. That was a tough one to take

Funnily enough that didn't hurt so much, as to be honest they deserved it for their 2nd half comeback and our totally inept showing after completely going to sleep at Half Time asuuming we'd had it all sewn up.

It was a great Cup Night for them and boy what an atmosphere.

Only having to travel back to Lancashire rather than all the way back to Southampton possibly helped take the edge off it as well to be honest!!

Being 2-0 up WHL a couple of years ago and losing in injury time. A Typical Eriksen, in off the post, bottom corner from outside the box too. Lovren putting in one of his Liverpool/Lyon performances didn't help.

Bale getting them out of jail the year before too. Again against the run of play in a game we'd had the better of.

Funnily enough that didn't hurt so much, as to be honest they deserved it for their 2nd half comeback and our totally inept showing after completely going to sleep at Half Time asuuming we'd had it all sewn up.

It was a great Cup Night for them and boy what an atmosphere.

Only having to travel back to Lancashire rather than all the way back to Southampton possibly helped take the edge off it as well to be honest!!

Yeah I think if I was a bit older and a bit more wise to Saints letdown, it wouldn't have bothered me so much. However, I was a 12 year old lad dreaming of cup success and couldn't quite fathom what the hell was going on!

I reckon we could have made the final that year... wouldn't we have played Liverpool in the quarter-final if we'd have beaten Tranmere, then played Wycombe in the semi-final? Or am I thinking of different years

From the responses so far you've all taken "worst" to mean "most upsetting/disappointing/annoying" in the context of result or season. I prefer to consider it in terms of aesthetically horrible or just bloody stupid without context.

In which case I am proposing the goal when Paul Jones decided not to defend a bouncing near-vertical sky-hoof on his own goal-line.

Lambert's winner at Swansea in 2013/14 in the last minute off his shoulder about half an inch out was equally unappealing but I liked it a lot more.

2 seasons ago at The Etihad, Nasri (?) about 10 yards offside before crossing for somebody else to tap in. You set the defensive line up and don't get the decision due to sheer ineptitude of two match officials.

Also it qualifies for the bloody infuriating ranking, as we were bossing the game until the mini goal rush just before halftime :x

Edited by ericofarabia

Yeah I think if I was a bit older and a bit more wise to Saints letdown, it wouldn't have bothered me so much. However, I was a 12 year old lad dreaming of cup success and couldn't quite fathom what the hell was going on!

I reckon we could have made the final that year... wouldn't we have played Liverpool in the quarter-final if we'd have beaten Tranmere, then played Wycombe in the semi-final? Or am I thinking of different years

Certainly would have been Liverpool next round .... a classic faux pas from me walking back to the car, telling a group exuberant Tranmere Fans that "I hoped that they would stuff the effing scousers next round" Luckily for me, either they were too busy celebrating or don't classify themselves as scouse :mcinnes:

2 seasons ago at The Etihad, Nasri (?) about 10 yards offside before crossing for somebody else to tap in. You set the defencsve line up and don't get the decision due to sheer ineptitude of two match officials.

Also it qualifies for the bloody infuriating ranking, as we were bossing the game until the mini goal rush just before halftime :x

Oh yeah, that one was annoying - didn't go to that one and had the full pleasure of watching the hundreds of replays of Nasri being miles offside. I even took a screenshot somewhere to illustrate the point - even if it came off the bloody defender he was already miles off from the pass before it. Or something like that, there was no justification for it from the officials anyway.

Oh yeah, that one was annoying - didn't go to that one and had the full pleasure of watching the hundreds of replays of Nasri being miles offside. I even took a screenshot somewhere to illustrate the point - even if it came off the bloody defender he was already miles off from the pass before it. Or something like that, there was no justification for it from the officials anyway.

Also you noticed none of the media picked up on it much, if it was one of the big 6 it would everywhere, calling out ref standard as apalling and MUST improve. But nope as its little old saints in doesn't matter.

Also you noticed none of the media picked up on it much, if it was one of the big 6 it would everywhere, calling out ref standard as apalling and MUST improve. But nope as its little old saints in doesn't matter.

Yeah, it was like "well, they'd have scored soon enough anyway" or "it wasn't a close game so it doesn't matter". It was bloody close until their massively offside goal meant we were shell-shocked into conceding another one right afterwards.

David Norris.

That's one of my favourite goals against us.

I find it amusing that, to this day, Pompey fans still celebrate (with bus-parade and ticker-tape exuberance) the goal that earned them a draw.... a point that contributed to us being promoted and a loss of 2 points that contributed to them being relegated.

A satisfying goal on more than one level :)

I find it amusing that, to this day, Pompey fans still celebrate (with bus-parade and ticker-tape exuberance) the goal that earned them a draw.... a point that contributed to us being promoted and a loss of 2 points that contributed to them being relegated.

The goal that made no difference, at all, to anything. It is hilarious in hindsight.

Edited by Colinjb

I admire your style Lord T, unfortunately my one and only emotion of that game will be of crushing disappointment.

Can't remember who scored it, but is was the season we were relegated from the Premiership and was against Everton, all Peter Crouch had to do is hold the ball by their corner flag to run down the last remaining seconds but he decides to go for glory, gives them possession from which they score.

A real sickener!

The Pompey one in Sturrocks time after standing on that as it was then Intercash end that had no roof after getting soaked in a hail storm. Will never forget that little **** about 5 years old that ran out of one or the houses in Velda Ave and across the road and spat at the coaches.

Can't remember who scored it, but is was the season we were relegated from the Premiership and was against Everton, all Peter Crouch had to do is hold the ball by their corner flag to run down the last remaining seconds but he decides to go for glory, gives them possession from which they score.

A real sickener!

Marcus f**king Bent....

On the same lines...

Stewart Downing for 'Boro in Twitchy's first game and our very own Steven Davis for Villa. That Everton goal was just the putrid icing on a festering cake of a season.

Marcus f**king Bent....

On the same lines...

Stewart Downing for 'Boro in Twitchy's first game and our very own Steven Davis for Villa. That Everton goal was just the putrid icing on a festering cake of a season.

That Downing goal was a sickener.

Going along with The9's rational I will nominate any of the goals Grobelaar waved in to the net on his way to picking up those brown envelopes.

For sheer comedy value Danny Fox smashing the ball into Hooiveld at St James' Park has to be up there.

Amazing how few Skate goals there are on this list. I'm guessing that's because most of the really crappy ones were for a limited audience only?

I had the pleasure of arriving just in time for us to concede the penalty in the first Prem match, and arrived just in time for kick off for the match the season after that we really don't mention.

But none of those goals really bother me that much - nor the ones in the Championship season home or away, nor the FA Cup game. Basically because they really don't mean much in hindsight, and no-one really dwells on them. There will be far more goals against the Skates in a list of "goals we've enjoyed most" though, which is an interesting psychological phenomenon if nothing else. In other words, "it only matters if we win".

Going along with The9's rationale I will nominate any of the goals Grobbelaar waved in to the net on his way to picking up those brown envelopes.

To be fair to him, that's a difficult piece of multitasking when there's a match on.

Adrian Heath, without a doubt. I have never felt worse in 40 years of supporting Saints. Those of us who have been around that long have suffered a lot!

Cup semi-final when it used to matter, ours for the taking, final minute of extra time, pathetic, bobbly, pitiful, little goal. Horrible.

Norris for me. I just felt empty when that went in, truly gutted. He could try that another 99 times and stick it in the car park every single time but he didn't. Still it didn't matter in the end.

Also both goals at Boro a couple of weeks later. We were 1-0 inside 45 seconds. A draw there and beating Coventry the following week would have won the League. Boro had nothing to play for and we f**ked it up.

Norris for me. I just felt empty when that went in, truly gutted. He could try that another 99 times and stick it in the car park every single time but he didn't. Still it didn't matter in the end.

Also both goals at Boro a couple of weeks later. We were 1-0 inside 45 seconds. A draw there and beating Coventry the following week would have won the League. Boro had nothing to play for and we f**ked it up.

Both the fish-****er's goals that day were outrageous strikes that would miss by a mile any other day.. as for Marcus Bent, I'm not sure I'll ever forgive Crouchy for not running that into the corner!

Anyone who was there that day at Highbury will surely say the Adrian Heath goal, we should have won the cup that year and it still breaks my heart thinking about that goal

Broke my heart that goal and hated the c**t ever since, still would not pee on him if he was on fire.

I'm sorry but you're wrong, there wasn't anything remotely funny about that goal, we finally should've beaten them and we blew it.

Norris. After the absolute scenes minutes beforehand it was beyond gutting. The only thing that got me through was that when walking away I thought we'll probably stil go up and they'll still go down - thankfully, that's exactly what happened.

The worst though for me was Marcus Bent. It felt like that whole horrendous season had been crunched into one horrifically painful moment, added to the fact that I knew 100% that because of it we were going down. For about an hour afterwards my whole family didn't say a word to each other.