The Rather Previous 2016/17 Saints Kit Thread

The9

Most of the objection was that they weren't stripes. The fact they were also both sh01te certainly didn't help.

Mainly people weren't ready for such forward thinking earth shattering unique innovation of a plain red kit which Nicola invented and everything you know. Massive in China.

Well as the collar as illustrated in the HD pic isn't the collar on the shirt anyway I'm not sure how there's any complaint to be made.

Eh? The style of collar is irrelevant (I'm aware it's not accurately portrayed in the mock up) , It's the colour that's being questioned.

Just saying that the collar on the teaser (and it's HD mock up), would subjectively look better in black to match the trim, as on the bottom of the sleeves.

CmcTjaIWgAA1zYk.jpg:large

Bloody hell.....doesn't the club make a meal out of releasing a new kit.

Just bloody release it.

It's like having the sex with an actual woman. First rule of having the sex with an actual woman is, you don't just bloody release it. It makes them all angry and stuff.

It's like having the sex with an actual woman. First rule of having the sex with an actual woman is, you don't just bloody release it. It makes them all angry and stuff.

Second rule is, you ask online for some scruffy Internet loner to pop over first and try it out before you release. No hold on, I've got this wrong.

Not going to buy the home kit no matter what it looks like. Can't exactly go to games and there are very few real world environments where red and white stripes work.

A black/grey away shirt though....

ps. I quite like the training gear from what I've seen.

What's all this 'bra' hating about? It isn't even close to resembling one (how high up are your Mrs tits?!). Guaranteed that any of our larger supporters moobs will begin and definitely end way below the red section at the top. I reckon the kit looks brilliant and very sleek. Unobtrusive sponsor and separates us from the Stoke/Sunderland look. Probably our best since coming back to the PL.

What's all this 'bra' hating about? It isn't even close to resembling one (how high up are your Mrs tits?!).

Not sure what else to call it. Bib? Flap? 'White bit'?

Ill reserve full judgement until I see a true image, but not a fan of the mock-up.

I prefer the red yoke version too, will be interesting to see if that's the Prem shirt and if the white panel version pitches up (with a white panel back) for the Europa League.

I think the red version looks like a nice shirt full stop, the white one looks ok.

I agree on the home kit, much better with the red yoke, which looked miles better than with the naff white yoke version. Away kit is OK, if bland, but looks more like a training kit than an away kit.

Would like to buy the home kit at first glance but the away kit might go with more of my wardrobe (and therefore keep my missus happy).

The template with the white bit at the top was more segmented and looked like a high up sports bra.

The red one looks less like that, but still a bit weird.

The one with the white yoke would look better if the sleeves were also white. The one with the red yoke looks fine as the sleeves are also red and so you don't end up looking at three blocks of colour (red sleeve, white yoke, red sleeve).

Final teaser.

Wow, that was... time passing. :D

I suppose if we hadn't already seen the photo of the boat we'd be in awe of their ability to waste money on a sail and two decals for Under Armour dinghies, but as it is... that's the mehiest meh that ever mehhed.

Mainly people weren't ready for such forward thinking earth shattering unique innovation of a plain red kit which Nicola invented and everything you know. Massive in China.

Maybe, but this randomly stumbled-upon when looking for something else set of "people who like kits but aren't necessarily Saints fans" feedback contains a lot of "stripey talk": https://www.footballshirts.com/fans/leaked-southampton-fc-red-adidas-home-shirt-201314_20698

I'm more interested in the price. £50 for a football shirt is obscene and seems to be standard these days.

They will charge it for as long as people continue to pay it. It's the same with tickets, people fuming at the prices whilst willingly handing over £50 to watch a game of football.

I might buy the away shirt if it looks decent but I tend to make the home shirts last about 3 or 4 years.

I'm more interested in the price. £50 for a football shirt is obscene and seems to be standard these days.

It's not really obscene though, go check out how much you'd pay for a Gucci t-shirt with no technical qualities to it, just a cotton shirt with a print on. £510 on Mr Porter. Now that, it could be argued, is fairly obscene for a t-shirt so £50 for a 'performance' sports shirt is not too bad.

Yet both of you posting in this thread. Weird. ;)

have to go to at least the last post, so that the thread is marked as read. Yes I know, I could click on "mark forums read" but mainly I like to see the reaction people have to this topic, rather than the topic itself. Personally I would choose a damn strip and stick with it. No need to change every year, or is there? It's this ridiculous marketing that taps into some peoples' equally ridiculous materialism where they feel that they have to have the latest of everything.

I don't understand why the overwhelming fans choice (the Patrick kit), gets ignored year on year.

The supposed new kit looks absolute sh*t.

The very fact that you (and everybody else) refers to it as 'The Patrick Kit' probably doesn't endear it to any the manufacturer.

I'm sure Adidas, Under Armour and any future kit makers wouldn't want to produce a kit that people would refer to as 'The Patrick Kit' - it's not great for their marketing, really.

It's not really obscene though, go check out how much you'd pay for a Gucci t-shirt with no technical qualities to it, just a cotton shirt with a print on. £510 on Mr Porter. Now that, it could be argued, is fairly obscene for a t-shirt so £50 for a 'performance' sports shirt is not too bad.

The whole reason that a Gucci shirt costs that - not that I'm condoning that sort of pricing - is that they are not mass produced and you are not going to see 1000s of others wearing the same shirt. But as you say, £50 for a performance type shirt with the added detail a football shirt usually has is not too bad. My gripe is that little or no though seems to go into the design process, why should they bother when they know from past experience that x thousand people will buy one whatever they come up with.

Have the club ever sold shirts that the players wear, rather than replicas?

I believe Chelsea are doing something like this, this season- they are selling replicas at £55 and the genuine real player's ones at like £110 I'm guessing.

I'd like to buy the actual player's ones...

The whole reason that a Gucci shirt costs that - not that I'm condoning that sort of pricing - is that they are not mass produced and you are not going to see 1000s of others wearing the same shirt. But as you say, £50 for a performance type shirt with the added detail a football shirt usually has is not too bad. My gripe is that little or no though seems to go into the design process, why should they bother when they know from past experience that x thousand people will buy one whatever they come up with.

This is an assumption that is probably wrong. Don't be offended by this but the manufacturer will do it's research and it's design department's ideas are likely to be a lot more progressive than your own (or mine for that matter) and their opinion and research of what's modern, 'trendy' and wearable is their job day in and day out. They also have to keep up with what other companies are doing and overall industry trends. However as with everything in 'fashion' it's a matter of opinion and the bodies it goes onto. Primarily the shirts are designed to look good on pumped athletes and that is their first concern.

I believe Chelsea are doing something like this, this season- they are selling replicas at £55 and the genuine real player's ones at like £110 I'm guessing.

UA certainly do with Rugby shirts, they'll sell a supporters shirt and a match shirt like that the players wear, Nike have done it too with Barca kits and a lot of the Euros international designs, so we'll see.

I like what UA have done with the Villa home shirt, very clean and simple. For a maximum selling shirt SFC should have got them to do ours also a simple striped shirt affair, especially as it will be the last striped shirt back and front. 3 stripes , red collar, some detail in trimming and voila !

You wouldnt have been able to fill the shelves quick enough on selling them.

Mid 70s style that just needed a bit of tinkering to be a winner

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/images/southampton_1973-1974.gif

This is an assumption that is probably wrong. Don't be offended by this but the manufacturer will do it's research and it's design department's ideas are likely to be a lot more progressive than your own (or mine for that matter) and their opinion and research of what's modern, 'trendy' and wearable is their job day in and day out. They also have to keep up with what other companies are doing and overall industry trends. However as with everything in 'fashion' it's a matter of opinion and the bodies it goes onto. Primarily the shirts are designed to look good on pumped athletes and that is their first concern.

No offence taken,I agree with you there. What I meant was little thought in making them individual to any particular club. Seems like each manufacturer designs 2 or 3 templates (which probably does undergo the research you suggest)and that's it, each club just has to have their colours fitted into that. In Euro16 England, France, Portugal, Croatia, Poland and Turkey all have exactly the same Nike shirts, just different colours. At least Croatia have the balls to insist on their red and white check.

More money than sense imo.

At least you'd look The Part when you get your pic posted on Full Kit *Whanquers on Twitter!! * Obviously that isn't how the site is spelt!!

Agreed - I didn't get all the fuss over how 'hideous' it was.

It wasn't hideous, it was just a crappy generic red kit that wasn't Saintsy.

Speaking of crappy and generic, here's the garbage Spurs away, dodged a bullet here.

16TOTTAWA.png

Edited by The9

have to go to at least the last post, so that the thread is marked as read. Yes I know, I could click on "mark forums read" but mainly I like to see the reaction people have to this topic, rather than the topic itself. Personally I would choose a damn strip and stick with it. No need to change every year, or is there? It's this ridiculous marketing that taps into some peoples' equally ridiculous materialism where they feel that they have to have the latest of everything.

Fair point tbh. Though for me it's just Saints (and Newport County) shirts, and it's the first thing to go when money gets squeezed.

Numerous brands have started doing it, Nike with the England shirt before this one ("Stadium" and "match" versions). There were £100+ not player stock "player shirts" doing the rounds as long as as 2002 when Nike brought out their daft mesh lined template as used in the 2002 World Cup, the replicas were much more straightforward but you may recall Diego Forlan not getting his back on after scoring for Man U (I think against Saints, actually). Adidas and UA have done similar.

They now have the mildly comical situation of having "replicas" (£50ish), then "player style" replicas (£90ish), and then the actual shirts the players wear which they still don't generally sell.

Edited by The9