Pre Season Tour

Saint Charlie

How was Targett? Afterall he will most likely be playing the first 4 or 5 games of the season at LB.

He was alright. Only been back to pre-season for a short while, so worth bearing that in mind. He's still a fair way off Bertrand in my eyes.

He was alright. Only been back to pre-season for a short while, so worth bearing that in mind. He's still a fair way off Bertrand in my eyes.

I agree with you. Hope he does well for the couple of games bertrand will miss

Bertrand will miss more than a few games at this rate I'd have thought.

I read/heard he was out for 4-5 weeks. That was when it was 4-5 weeks to the start of the season

physio room (seems quite accurate) has him back 8th Aug. Throw in a few games and an international break (is there one?)

could be back after missing 3-4 games??

which is more than a couple, granted

The Club site has a video with RK talking about today's game. It includes the three goals.

[video=youtube;5WYg-bXGLWs]

Amazing play from Tadic to set the third up. Good finish from Pelle too. I didn't see it at the time because my WiFi ****ed up but was keen to after the things I saw posted on here about it.

Thanks for posting that.

Think we played some decent stuff, Mane looked quality, Soares played well, Pelle did good and Wanyama is a beast! Liking the pace we have up top. Alot of people criticize Shane Long for the fee we paid granted he isn't going to be a golden boot winner but he runs his ass off and is very hard working.

Like our corners. Looked like a threat on the highlights. Could of scored 3 or 4 from corners today if we were lucky. Maybe it was awful defending?

I'd say so, teams score from one in every 33.5 corners on average in the Premier League. (The every 19 attempts originally mentioned was free-kicks).

"In terms of Corners, OPTA has a total 4321 corners that lead to 129 goals inside the box or a goal in every 33.5 attempt."

http://enbsports.blogspot.ca/2014/02/creating-flowchart-of-goal-in.html

Edited by The9
Edited, found a source quoting OPTA (and the correct no. of corners)

Why do we have posters who take great delight in criticises our players .i have a positive view but it does get a bit wearing some of you always finding fault in players

Well, it's an opinion, but there's not a single instance of it in the 27 posts I can see on the page prior to your comment - unless you consider Martina "a bit uncomfortable in possession early on, improved as the game went on" as a criticism?

Decent crowd for a friendly. Our keeper situation has been dodgy since we came up to the prem. Gazza is young and he may be good one day, but he is certainly not ready yet.

Get ready for Thursday, sold out 50.000 places ;)

Liking the look of Cedric so far. And Tadic looks likes he had a good rest and has come back stronger. Throw in Mane scaring the sh1t out of every defence he runs at, Clasie biting their ankles, and Juanmi still to show, and I'm looking forward to this season... :)

The game against Groningen was very good I must say. I also expect us (Feyenoord) to lose this weekend. We are really lacking defenders (and our best, van Beek, is out for 2 months..) and a clinical finisher. Although pre-season friendlies do not say everything, we lost 1-2 to VVV this weekend, who do not even play in the Eredivisie. It is a bit like Arsenal or Liverpool losing to a position 5-8 championship club like Wolverhampton or so.

Anyway, we will try to create a good atmosphere :p

Liking the look of Cedric so far. And Tadic looks likes he had a good rest and has come back stronger. Throw in Mane scaring the sh1t out of every defence he runs at, Clasie biting their ankles, and Juanmi still to show, and I'm looking forward to this season... :)

I agree... if we bring in another CB.

Groningen have given a life-size plastic cow to the Koeman brothers. It's currently at the hotel that Saints are staying in.

media_xll_7878832.jpg

After Groningen's utterly embarrassing loss. Not sure how they'll get that back, the airlines will milk them for baggage fees.

Ah, Maya Yoshida's old side..... Interesting to see that without him they were relegated.

Says a lot about the relative merits of defenders compared to strikers, and the relative merits of the different leagues' weakest sides too.

Says a lot about the relative merits of defenders compared to strikers, and the relative merits of the different leagues' weakest sides too.

You've been reading 'The Numbers Game' havn't you?

Great book by the way.

You've been reading 'The Numbers Game' havn't you?

Great book by the way.

I've mentioned it a number of times on here already. I'm also reading a number of analytics blogs, printing out Saints job descriptions to identify which software they use, and have the Opta season data from 2011/12 on my laptop. :D

Saints are CLEARLY abiding by almost all of the principles of that book, and it is interesting to see the way in which analytics is being used in England compared to the whole moneyball thing.

It looks to me like there are a few main areas of research to identify:

- how to find out which things work and the most effective way of doing things on a football pitch by analysing the current data, (eg running predictive models, seeing the best action in specific circumstances, gathering intel about whether a backpass to the GK or hoofing the ball off the pitch is more beneficial, like by seeing who has possession and where on the pitch 5 seconds later, how many points a clean sheet is worth in England compared to Italy, etc.)

- how to use the information available to support detailed scouting of players based on certain key skills

I'm currently halfway through Opta's definition of actions on a football pitch, and trying to work out how to decode the additional tagging around each of those antics when recorded in XML (as well as trying to teach myself how to record actions myself, even the stuff like pitch co-ordinates is interesting [recorded against an index scale so the pitch dimensions aren't problematic for comparisons]).