Jordy Clasie Signs - Official

Saint-Armstrong

Ahhh got to love a review thread like this, particularly when they come up with such utter gems! :mcinnes:

i saw my mate, the other day,

he said to me we've signed the new Xavi.

so i asked, "who is he?",

"he said he goes by the name of Jordy classie!"

Jordy Classie, Jordy classie, he goes by the name of Jordy classie

Trouble is Romeu offers a lot more defensively and JWP offers more offensively and he's very similar in stature/style of play to JWP and Davis. He's that sort of all round, works hard, technical sound midfielder but not one that is going to bully people defensively, score a lot of goals or dribble past players.

he's a good player and kind of a jack of all trades centre-mid but offers nothing different to what we don't have.

I personally like Clasie, think he's a decent tackler, good passer and can hit a shot. He's always been a bit in and out of the team, but I'd like to see either him or PEH given a good run of games playing next to (/slightly more advanced than) Romeu.

He also has a half decent shot in his locker if you look at his 2 finishes vs Arsenal away in the cup and WBA away. Something that has not been overly evident with most of our other midfield options but needs that regular game time and I think that if we get him in the right position he actually may chip in with half decent return of goals.

He was excellent away to WBA, in my opinion, our best player.

Next game, not even on the bench.

He was treated badly by Puel.

Two seasons he has been here and you can pick out one good game that pretty much sums him up.... I'd rather see JWP start in central midfield which is a damning indictment of how poor our midfield has become

Two seasons he has been here and you can pick out one good game that pretty much sums him up.... I'd rather see JWP start in central midfield which is a damning indictment of how poor our midfield has become

He did well in the second half of his first season. He played well when called upon last season (Arsenal away, WBA away, Boro away). My point was more to illustrate how badly treated he was by Puel.

He's probably got his fingers-crossed De Boer comes in.

Well his bro Ronald De Boer definitely rated him at the Noord:

"Feyenoord would be wise to do everything to upgrade the contract Clasie and lengthen, so they again can play the price. It is so important for the club. Try to Mister Feyenoord him. Feyenoord played well especially Clasie played a really great match. He captured the ball often, his dribbles were good, his passes knocked, he brought peace and rhythm in his team. It was like a train . "

I liked the Mister Feyenoord him hahaha

Just watching a video of Davy Klaassen who's about to sign for Everton but couldn't help thinking how bad the Eredivisie looks which makes him look ok. I thought I'd check out a Clasie video from the Eredivisie for a comparison and he looks 100 times better, shame we haven't seen him replicated it here.

Looks good in the vid for sure, but there's wide open spaces to exploit that just can't be found in most Prem matches. He's looked poor to ordinary throughout his time with us bar the odd decent performance such as West Brom. The fact Puel dropped him - bizarrely - after that match allows us all to dream that he would have become an influential Premier League quality midfielder for the remainder of the season if only he hadn't been dropped. Perhaps he will will if given the chance by our new man, let's hope so.

He was excellent away to WBA, in my opinion, our best player.

Next game, not even on the bench.

He was treated badly by Puel.

No he wasn't. He had an excellent first half when Baggies stood off him and let him play. Once they started pressing physically in the second half Clasie just disappeared. It would have been madness to have played him against Manchester City - he would have been murdered.

Far from being treated badly by Puel, he was given more chances than his weak performances - other than that one 45 minutes - merited.

No he wasn't. He had an excellent first half when Baggies stood off him and let him play. Once they started pressing physically in the second half Clasie just disappeared. It would have been madness to have played him against Manchester City - he would have been murdered.

Far from being treated badly by Puel, he was given more chances than his weak performances - other than that one 45 minutes - merited.

I disagree.

Too small to play as a single holding midfielder.

Too slow to play alongside Romeu.

Won't improve us, sell this summer, not physically suited to the PL, amazed our scouts didn't think that too.

You could be describing at least one other midfielder in Saint's squad - it will be interesting to see how the new Manager rates Clasie and JWP.

You could be describing at least one other midfielder in Saint's squad - it will be interesting to see how the new Manager rates Clasie and JWP.

Indeed. Its our biggest problem area IMO. At least Davis and JWP can play 90mins regularly though.

There isnt one pairing of two players which doesn't leave us vunerable to counter attack as nobody in our squad who is quick or agile enough in that position.

Indeed. Its our biggest problem area IMO. At least Davis and JWP can play 90mins regularly though.

There isnt one pairing of two players which doesn't leave us vunerable to counter attack as nobody in our squad who is quick or agile enough in that position.

Yes, I can see why the push to play JWP happens; he has improved and has good dead ball skills and good passing technique when he's not under pressure - but playing him forward seems to stagnate wide movement and playing him CM makes us vulnerable defensively. Then there's Davis who plays better with an attacking midfield role, but on the downside is at an age where a decline in his performance is likely. If the shortcomings of Clasie are factored in then we badly need midfield reinforcement this summer.

Yes, I can see why the push to play JWP happens; he has improved and has good dead ball skills and good passing technique when he's not under pressure - but playing him forward seems to stagnate wide movement and playing him CM makes us vulnerable defensively. Then there's Davis who plays better with an attacking midfield role, but on the downside is at an age where a decline in his performance is likely. If the shortcomings of Clasie are factored in then we badly need midfield reinforcement this summer.

Having had Morgan and Victor (hell even Jack Cork) in recent seasons our central midfield is currently pretty crappy (Romeu aside) Davis is OK but 32 and the other three are all a bit meh (and lets not forget the new Paul Scholes who has pretty much disappeared of the face of the earth). We clearly need to work on that part of the team the worry is that Les "we have the best midfield option in the league" Reed might not see that.

Need a Shelvey esque player to compliment Romeu. Not too weak, but can play a bit too.

And need backup for Romeu.

Cork would be great, if we could get him back for a third time. Would happily spend 10-15m on him

I loved Cork but we could probably get so much more for our money on the continent if we were looking to spend that much.

I loved Cork but we could probably get so much more for our money on the continent if we were looking to spend that much.

Yeah I did consider that after I typed it... then I talked myself out of editing my post to mention a foreign player in that position because I reasoned that at least we know what we're getting with Cork :-)

That said, be interesting to know if the black box has any interesting candidates of similar stature

Imagine he would do well in Serie A - slower pace.

I agree, Clasie must be hoping for a manager like Frank de Boer who might give him more chances than Puel but I don't believe that Jordy will make it in the end. Wether it's lack of stamina, the pace of the game in the PL or him being a small guy, it's not going to work out for him and it would be better for him and the Saints to move to another ccompetition.

Remarkable how many dutch players can't make it in the PL these days. Vincent Jansen, Eljero Elia, van Wolfswinkel, Steven Berghuis, Jordy Clasie... I reckon Davy Klaassen from Ajax will be next at Everton.

Need a Shelvey esque player to compliment Romeu. Not too weak, but can play a bit too.

And need backup for Romeu.

Cork would be great, if we could get him back for a third time. Would happily spend 10-15m on him

Its a shame Livermore went to WBA...he would have done.

Remarkable how many dutch players can't make it in the PL these days. Vincent Jansen, Eljero Elia, van Wolfswinkel, Steven Berghuis, Jordy Clasie... I reckon Davy Klaassen from Ajax will be next at Everton.

It’s not so surprising though with the current state of the Eredivisie and the Dutch national team. It’s not a coincidence that they haven’t qualified for the EC and are now struggling to qualify for the WC. Looking at the list of Dutch players currently employed in the PL, it’s hard to find the next Bergkamp or Hasselbaink, or Van Nistelrooy, or Van Persie.

Just for fun, the best team I could come up with, built with only Dutch players currently employed in the PL:

-------------------------Krul------------------------

Janmaat---Martins Indi---Van Dijk---Van Aanholt

---------Clasie----------------------Blind----------

---------------------Wijnaldum---------------------

Narsingh------------------------------------Affelay

----------------------Janssen-----------------------

Bench:

Stekelenburg/Vorm

Fosu-Mensah

Aké

Pieters

De Roon

Fer

Klaassen

Pretty decent in defense, almost nothing going forward.

In any case... I still think Clasie could do okay, if surrounded by the right kind of players.

It’s not so surprising though with the current state of the Eredivisie and the Dutch national team. It’s not a coincidence that they haven’t qualified for the EC and are now struggling to qualify for the WC. Looking at the list of Dutch players currently employed in the PL, it’s hard to find the next Bergkamp or Hasselbaink, or Van Nistelrooy, or Van Persie.

Just for fun, the best team I could come up with, built with only Dutch players currently employed in the PL:

-------------------------Krul------------------------

Janmaat---Martins Indi---Van Dijk---Van Aanholt

---------Clasie----------------------Blind----------

---------------------Wijnaldum---------------------

Narsingh------------------------------------Affelay

----------------------Janssen-----------------------

Bench:

Stekelenburg/Vorm

Fosu-Mensah

Aké

Pieters

De Roon

Fer

Klaassen

Pretty decent in defense, almost nothing going forward.

In any case... I still think Clasie could do okay, if surrounded by the right kind of players.

Quite right, besides Robben there is no world class attacker available at this moment. Too bad there's no world class midfielder or defender either as van Dijk usually sends a lookalike to the national team, someone who makes mistakes you won't see from the real van Dijk... ;)

And Clasie would be better with the right kind of players around him but alas, he's not the kind of player a manager would built his team on like he could do with a player like Ziyech. Though I'm not certain anymore if the latter could make it in the PL either.

Btw, I read in the dutch newspaper De Telegraaf that Southampton has recently paid a bonus of 3 million euro's to Feyenoord as Clasie has met the targets which were agreed when he was sold to Saints. The total fee is now 15 million euro's (13,2 million pounds).

I know this is peanuts for a PL club with all the tv-money coming in but still, it's a lot of money for a player who is usually a substitute. I also wonder about the targets, it appears that starting as a substitute was enough. Not a bad deal for Feyenoord.

Btw, I read in the dutch newspaper De Telegraaf that Southampton has recently paid a bonus of 3 million euro's to Feyenoord as Clasie has met the targets which were agreed when he was sold to Saints. The total fee is now 15 million euro's (13,2 million pounds).

I know this is peanuts for a PL club with all the tv-money coming in but still, it's a lot of money for a player who is usually a substitute. I also wonder about the targets, it appears that starting as a substitute was enough. Not a bad deal for Feyenoord.

at 8m I thought we overspent, at 15m....jeez

It's a shame the appearance fee wasn't invalidated every time he had to be subbed after an hour.

Its a shame Livermore went to WBA...he would have done.
i beg to differ. Incredibly mediocre player. The one thing we don't want to do this summer, any summer, is settle for someone that will do. We need a dominating midfield powerhouse to wrestle back control of the midfield allowing others to play with more freedom.

i beg to differ. Incredibly mediocre player. The one thing we don't want to do this summer, any summer, is settle for someone that will do. We need a dominating midfield powerhouse to wrestle back control of the midfield allowing others to play with more freedom.

Puel has demoralized our players (e.g. Clasie, JayRod, Ward-Prowse, Boufal) by "dropping you after you played well" and "keeping secret on whether you will play next game". I could see no one were willing to play well, or shot on target for fear that he should get dropped in the second half of the last season. As Puel has gone, the new manager needs to deal with the players' morale, giving every players the opportunities to shine and re-establishing the selection based on performance rule.

Puel has demoralized our players (e.g. Clasie, JayRod, Ward-Prowse, Boufal) by "dropping you after you played well" and "keeping secret on whether you will play next game". I could see no one were willing to play well, or shot on target for fear that he should get dropped in the second half of the last season. As Puel has gone, the new manager needs to deal with the players' morale, giving every players the opportunities to shine and re-establishing the selection based on performance rule.

The second half of the season the team virtually picked itself it was so easy to forecast.

I think you'll find every manager is required to drop players.

It's a fascinating new little trend appearing in the moaners. Previously the primary moan was about lack of squad depth and what a disgrace that was - now we seem to be getting more posts like these complaining about the very thing squad depth brings about: they can't all play.

Personally I can't remember JWP being "demoralised" and "not willing to play well" (whatever that is). JWP had his best season by a mile under Puel.

Clasie, Boufal and Jay Rod were pretty terrible whenever they had the chance. Puel gave them chances and they didn't take them. In Jay Rod's case literally.

Odd you are positioning them as undroppable when frankly they did nothing to cement a place in the first team.

One report said that he wouldn't say who was playing until the last possible moment, just before the kickoff. Presumably he must have given the teamsheets to the officials at some stage.

One report said that he wouldn't say who was playing until the last possible moment, just before the kickoff. Presumably he must have given the teamsheets to the officials at some stage.

They normally didn't find out until about 90 minutes beforehand according to a few of the reports; the teamsheets have to be done an hour before the game AFAIA.

Normally players are told the morning of the game, if not the day before.

Some managers do this & some announce the side to the players earlier in the week. It's part & parcel of being a pro. It's not Sunday league where I managed,players would ring me up Sat evening to see whether they were playing ,before deciding how much ale to neck. These poor little mites should do as they're ****ing told & if the manager wants to announce the team late, accept it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk