CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

But he doesn't make it any cleaere that VVD will come to Saints, just that he's a good player.

and obviously answering very direct questions from a persistent interviewer.

Queue the buffoons mentioning Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers with reference to what Fonte has said. Oh goodness they're a special bunch! :lol:

What I don't get is all this "Celtic waiting till they've qualified for The CL Group Stage" then will sell him.

Surely they'd want to keep their best players and hope to get through to the next stage, or are they basically admitting they can't get any further than that and will just milk the cash cow

and get some extra dosh in from Van Dijk as well, regardless of whether they qualify or not.

Either way it leaves them with a small window of opportunity (as it does us if we don't get him) to get a replacement in before the transfer window closes.

All rather strange.

The answer is money. They get a lot of money by being in the group phase. The additional money for getting out of the group phase is not that significant and they will rarely do so even if they keep their better players. They do not need great players to win their league so the key part of their season is the CL qualification phase. This might change in the future if the Rangers ever come back.

This is completely different to anything Steven Gerrard or Brendan Rodgers did with regard to our players previously. The SPL is a Mickey Mouse league whose players we can fully expect to want a move to a proper league. Moving from Saints to a team 2-3 places higher in the same league is a very different thing.

It's very sweet when people try. Nice effort.

Southamptic really are a vile club. Who do they think they are that they can just take our players? Why do they keep on stealing our players they should develop their own. Their offer of £7m is an absolute disgrace, clearly just to unsettle the player. If john stone is worth £25m then Virgil must be worth £40m, we should tell them this and not a penny less. Moving from the champions of their country with regular championship football To a midtable premier league club is not a step up. The arrogance of their disgusting players using the media to distablise our players is a disgrace, think either That defector c*nt Fraser Forster has been tapping Virgil up or Rangers have paid Fonte for that interview in an underhand way to destabilise our champions league hopes. Vile club, with deluded arrogant fans.

Jose's comments are after a bid has been put in by the club and all the comments in the press etc , this seems to be accepted by clubs these days . "Tapping up" has traditionally been done in secret before any bids are put in to get the player interested without the knowledge of his club . This is what causes upset at clubs IMO as you all probably know already !

Southamptic really are a vile club. Who do they think they are that they can just take our players? Why do they keep on stealing our players they should develop their own. Their offer of £7m is an absolute disgrace, clearly just to unsettle the player. If john stone is worth £25m then Virgil must be worth £40m, we should tell them this and not a penny less. Moving from the champions of their country with regular championship football To a midtable premier league club is not a step up. The arrogance of their disgusting players using the media to distablise our players is a disgrace, think either That defector c*nt Fraser Forster has been tapping Virgil up or Rangers have paid Fonte for that interview in an underhand way to destabilise our champions league hopes. Vile club, with deluded arrogant fans.

this wasnt funny the first time you did this , any need to repeat everytime we are linked to a player?

LOL.

I look forward to some genius on here telling me how this is, like, completely different to anything Steven Gerrard or Brendan Rodgers did with regard to our players previously. Because Liverpool are all evil and stuff and what Fonte has done here is, you know, fine. Obviously fine.

It is completely different because I support saints

Anything that is an advantage for saints (like taking another clubs best players) = good

Anything that is a disadvantage for saints (like other clubs taking saints best players) = Bad

I am a football fan thus automatically a hypocrite and completely illogical when it comes to my club and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. The fact you and Turkish can't grasp that this is the reality of the average football fan and need to point it out on every thread says more about you two than your average Saints fan

Some of these transfer rumours and football gossip are just bollacks

I see on the BBC gossip page , the express state RK will the game today . Due to a hamstring injury are the club hiding something deform us ?

No RK ruptured his Achilles . Which is a lower leg injury , the hamstring is the top end . Some journos are mega thick

You would have thought they would check out the facts before spouting such crap

LOL.

I look forward to some genius on here telling me how this is, like, completely different to anything Steven Gerrard or Brendan Rodgers did with regard to our players previously. Because Liverpool are all evil and stuff and what Fonte has done here is, you know, fine. Obviously fine.

Well, Jose Fonte is the captain of Southampton football club. Therefore I love him and couldn't give a **** what he says. Brendan Rodgers and Steven Gerrard, on the other hand, are absolute ******s and I hate Liverpool football club, so anything they say is unacceptable and offends me. Understand?

That time of the month?

Latest snippet I've heard, Celtic are trying to get a Scandinavian CB in so that Van Dijk can leave. We are after a loan signing plus a top midfielder with premiership experience.

Pinch of salt job from me.

I have a friend who is a proffesional footballer on a relatively high level in Denmark, and he said to me some time ago, that Kristoffer Ajer were going to Celtic. He is that all-round kind of player who everybody needs, 6.5 feet high and is the youngest captain in the history of Norwegian football (17 years).

Anything that is an advantage for saints (like taking another clubs best players) = good

Anything that is a disadvantage for saints (like other clubs taking saints best players) = Bad

I am a football fan thus automatically a hypocrite and completely illogical when it comes to my club and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. The fact you and Turkish can't grasp that this is the reality of the average football fan and need to point it out on every thread says more about you two than your average Saints fan

Well said.

It seems beyond some what a football fan is. It shouldn't be a surprise that on a clubs supporters forum that posters are more positive towards, show bias towards etc our club and our players.

It's amazing that people are criticised for being positive or enjoying the club.

You say its the two of them that add these repetitive comments, the way they are often the only posters who back each other up, I'm not convinced it is two people

He's right you know...

Fonte was probably asked about him and what he thought about him or another defender being signed,he has given a honest answer,its not like Fonte has called a press conference just to talk about VVD.

On the plus side last time Fonte spoke about a player (Cedric) he had signed a few days later

He was.

I'm pretty surprised at the figures being reported. He's better than Wanyama so I'd have thought the club would want at least that for him.

His behaviour on twitter and you're centre half's comment suggest he'll be joining you anyway.

He was.

I'm pretty surprised at the figures being reported. He's better than Wanyama so I'd have thought the club would want at least that for him.

His behaviour on twitter and you're centre half's comment suggest he'll be joining you anyway.

What has VVD said on Twitter?

Just pay the asking price. It's not as if we're short of cash.
i am very worried Everton is going to swoop in and we get left in the cold. At this point, we better be prepared to pay the price and then some.

I am sure there is a plan B, but no clue.

today should have crystalized that we need a CB, if it wasn't already abundantly clear.

i am very worried Everton is going to swoop in and we get left in the cold. At this point, we better be prepared to pay the price and then some.

I am sure there is a plan B, but no clue.

today should have crystalized that we need a CB, if it wasn't already abundantly clear.

Everton can only afford him if Stones leaves.

It's obvious that VVD is 1st choice but no doubt we have a back up in mind if Celtic refuse to sell. It's CMD that I'm more concerned about.

Yep, CDM is a bigger concern. Arguably we need another CDM that can match, if not exceed what we currently have there, though wonder if the club is thinking along similar lines, given its not insignificant investment in Clasie.

Yep, CDM is a bigger concern. Arguably we need another CDM that can match, if not exceed what we currently have there, though wonder if the club is thinking along similar lines, given its not insignificant investment in Clasie.

Looking at the Celtic forums it appears to be their view that VVD could play CDM very effectively.

Looking at the Celtic forums it appears to be their view that VVD could play CDM very effectively.

Think he could -and would probably do a better job than Toby when he played there, though ultimately it's a question of bodies. There should be no pressure on Clasie to deliver straight away (great if he does); if he doesn't -and its a massive hole he's having to fill; not so sure I'd fancy that our first choice CB playing too many games at CDM. Never mind if Vic also gets injured.

Would love to get this one done. Looks a top player, although it's the SPL

Went down to Newcastle today.... After recovering from the stair climb I enjoyed the game..... Just thought our marking was a little loose especially first half. Saying that it's an easy game watching from the height we were at.