CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Bloody hell, looking at that he'd actually make good cover for dm!

In other words a perfect replacement for Toby.

You do realise as well that he was born on St Markus day (8th July) so would be perfect for Saints (my birthday as well, though a few years earlier)

In other words a perfect replacement for Toby.

You do realise as well that he was born on St Markus day (8th July) so would be perfect for Saints (my birthday as well, though a few years earlier)

It's written in the stars!!!

So I've read that whether Celtic sell depends on what happenes to them in the Champions League. I'm unsure if that means if they go out we can sign him (i.e. they need the money), or if they stay in we can sign him (i.e. they have plenty of CL money, can easily replace)?

What results re: Celtic should I be hoping for???

So I've read that whether Celtic sell depends on what happenes to them in the Champions League. I'm unsure if that means if they go out we can sign him (i.e. they need the money), or if they stay in we can sign him (i.e. they have plenty of CL money, can easily replace)?

If he plays in Europe in The CL for Celtic would that prevent him for playing for us in The Europa, even though it is a different competetion?

see:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?53873-Summer-2015-Hcdajfu-thread&p=2217219#post2217219

In terms Saints getting van Dijk, Celtic going out of the Champions League as early as possible would speed up any potential transfer.

Even if they reach the group stage that doesn't mean they won't sell him this summer. If he helps them to the group stages Celtic benefit from both his transfer fee and also the Champions League group stage money. They want him to stay long enough for him to help them into the group stage.

Quotes from him stating he wants to leave...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3119299/Virgil-van-Dijk-drops-bombshell-Celtic-Dutch-defender-says-wants-leave.html

Edited by Matthew Le God

If he plays in Europe in The CL for Celtic would that prevent him for playing for us in The Europa, even though it is a different competetion?

As a rule, a player may not play in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, but not UEFA Super Cup) for more than one club in the course of the same season. Exceptionally, however, a player who has been fielded in the first, second, third qualifying round or the play-offs of the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League is entitled to play in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League for another club as from the group stage. Moreover, as from the start of the round of 32, a player can be registered in accordance with Paragraph 43.01 to Paragraph 43.04. A substitute player who has not been fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the UEFA Champions League or UEFA Europa League in the course of the same season, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present regulations.

Can he defend?

Thats the real question. Sure he looks good on youtube - but who was covering his CB position while he was going on his bursting forward runs and attempts on goals in open play ?- not just upfront for set pieces. Reminds me of Joe Cole a bit - good for catching the eye but maybe not so great for team duty. Ive seen quite a few comments about him being caught out of position against better teams - especially during Celtic's European games.

Edited by buctootim

Leigh Griffiths has scored 95 goals in 197 SPL games (0.48 goals per game) and 12 goals in 26 League One games (0.46 goals per game) - keep that in mind when viewing Youtube highlights of SPL players :spaz:

What's your point - that this guy has a very good scoring ratio in every league he's played in?

We'll really struggle to replace Toby but Van Dijk looks like a great option. I reckon there'll be a few Prem clubs in for him. Sunderland and Newcastle are already being linked.

Interesting talking to Cody Cropper last night about the Toby deal. He reckons that Toby definitely wanted to sign for us and that Les Reed's comments about the player preferring Spurs over Saints was the easy option to tell the fans. The stumbling block was that Saints were being asked to pay more money than originally agreed in the form of paying up the remainder of his contract at AM. We weren't prepared to do that and Spurs were. I questioned why we'd gone back with a vastly improved offer if we weren't happy about paying more than agreed and he said, Koeman really wanted him but it was too late as Spurs had already agreed to AM's demands. He talked openly about the way Southampton work and how thorough they are in transfer dealings. He said, Nothing ever happens quickly at Southampton because they are a very cautious club. They've been caught out in the past so won't just buy players to add depth to the squad. They want to know everything about who they're signing, their past, their personal life, everything. This led on to a discussion about Artur and Dani. He said there's no doubt about Artur's ability but he's a complete headcase. His mentality just didn't fit with what the club are trying to achieve. When I said 'I guess it's the same with Dani' he just shook his head and said 'He was just a lunatic, he had to go'.

We'll really struggle to replace Toby but Van Dijk looks like a great option. I reckon there'll be a few Prem clubs in for him. Sunderland and Newcastle are already being linked.

Interesting talking to Cody Cropper last night about the Toby deal. He reckons that Toby definitely wanted to sign for us and that Les Reed's comments about the player preferring Spurs over Saints was the easy option to tell the fans. The stumbling block was that Saints were being asked to pay more money than originally agreed in the form of paying up the remainder of his contract at AM. We weren't prepared to do that and Spurs were. I questioned why we'd gone back with a vastly improved offer if we weren't happy about paying more than agreed and he said, Koeman really wanted him but it was too late as Spurs had already agreed to AM's demands. He talked openly about the way Southampton work and how thorough they are in transfer dealings. He said, Nothing ever happens quickly at Southampton because they are a very cautious club. They've been caught out in the past so won't just buy players to add depth to the squad. They want to know everything about who they're signing, their past, their personal life, everything. This led on to a discussion about Artur and Dani. He said there's no doubt about Artur's ability but he's a complete headcase. His mentality just didn't fit with what the club are trying to achieve. When I said 'I guess it's the same with Dani' he just shook his head and said 'He was just a lunatic, he had to go'.

Cheers for sharing mate. interesting stuff!

Cheers for sharing mate. interesting stuff!

Certainly is, especially as Cody Cropper was released by Saints in May and has since signed for the MK Dons so it makes sense that he would be close to the inner workings of the Toby deal.

I know its only U Tube but this guy seems to have everything, Ball skills, an eye for goal and can even take free kicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiTxgCZTMrg

sure it's only SPL and it's a highlights reel, but yes the boy looks like a monster at that level.

Looks quality. With his free kicks, the way he runs out of defence and his actual defending, he reminds me of a good David Luiz

[video=youtube;XICoCI20o-E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XICoCI20o-E

Edited by Matthew Le God

Leigh Griffiths has scored 95 goals in 197 SPL games (0.48 goals per game) and 12 goals in 26 League One games (0.46 goals per game) - keep that in mind when viewing Youtube highlights of SPL players :spaz:

Leandre Griffit - now that was a player :-)