CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Certainly is, especially as Cody Cropper was released by Saints in May and has since signed for the MK Dons so it makes sense that he would be close to the inner workings of the Toby deal.

I was talking to him at a friendly here in Ireland last night. MK Dons were playing my local team Cabinteely. I asked him how he knew so much and he said 'I'm still in regular contact with the lads. I've only just moved out of my apartment in Southampton'. He's currently staying with family in Coventry. His grandparents and cousins live there. He and commutes to MK. When the travelling gets too much the club put him up in the hotel that's built into Stadium MK.

We'll really struggle to replace Toby but Van Dijk looks like a great option. I reckon there'll be a few Prem clubs in for him. Sunderland and Newcastle are already being linked.

Interesting talking to Cody Cropper last night about the Toby deal. He reckons that Toby definitely wanted to sign for us and that Les Reed's comments about the player preferring Spurs over Saints was the easy option to tell the fans. The stumbling block was that Saints were being asked to pay more money than originally agreed in the form of paying up the remainder of his contract at AM. We weren't prepared to do that and Spurs were. I questioned why we'd gone back with a vastly improved offer if we weren't happy about paying more than agreed and he said, Koeman really wanted him but it was too late as Spurs had already agreed to AM's demands. He talked openly about the way Southampton work and how thorough they are in transfer dealings. He said, Nothing ever happens quickly at Southampton because they are a very cautious club. They've been caught out in the past so won't just buy players to add depth to the squad. They want to know everything about who they're signing, their past, their personal life, everything. This led on to a discussion about Artur and Dani. He said there's no doubt about Artur's ability but he's a complete headcase. His mentality just didn't fit with what the club are trying to achieve. When I said 'I guess it's the same with Dani' he just shook his head and said 'He was just a lunatic, he had to go'.

Haha, cool story bro'. Headcase, we can cope with; lunatic, no place for someone like that. :) Tend to agree.

He looks a good prospect but facing Costa, Ageuro, Kane etc is a bit different than the Dundee and Aberdeen strikers who wouldn't get into a first division club - saying that I do like the look of him but don't go making out he's gravy - would be a learning curve for him down here and we'd have to give him time - took Big Vic a while to settle and adapt

Sunderland and Newcastle are already being linked.

Whatever happens, I feel that Saints have more to offer than those two. That maybe has a little to do with a possible transfer, but speaks volumes about how far we have come so far. We are most definitely the best of the rest at the moment IMO.

The problem is that there are innumerable references to Celtic not being willing to sell him until they are done with their Champions league qualification matches.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-afc-transfers-kaboul-others-9668662

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/celtic_s_virgil_van_dijk_is_ideal_transfer_target_for_norwich_city_1_4126153

This one has a very familiar ring to it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-assistant-boss-john-collins-5916424

This one suggests that we are not good enough for him.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13352739.display/

I think it was about the same time you became a complete ****!

Shut it you absolute bellend. You're the biggest wasteman on here. Dont try and give it the large one hiding behind a keyboard either. People with long memories remember what shade of arsehole you truly are. Dont try this new persona crap youve got going on. Haha... feckin idiot.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Shut it you absolute bellend. You're the biggest wasteman on here. Dont try and give it the large one hiding behind a keyboard either. People with long memories remember what shade of arsehole you truly are. Dont try this new persona crap youve got going on. Haha... feckin idiot.

People with long memories will also remember that you spent months accusing me of being a skate. How did if feel being proved wrong? Who's hiding behind a keyboard? As I've said before, if you want to meet face to face to discuss this I'm more than happy. C***y!

People with long memories will also remember that you spent months accusing me of being a skate. How did if feel being proved wrong? Who's hiding behind a keyboard? As I've said before, if you want to meet face to face to discuss this I'm more than happy. C***y!

Hahahahahahahah.... brave. Would love to spend 5 minutes on you.

Lol oh dear it's only forum lads

Exactly! I'm actually intrigued as to what is meant by 'Dont try this new persona crap youve got going on'? But I certainly won't be losing any sleep over it. For some reason I became the target of his abuse a few years ago. I've just added him to my ignore list. If he doesn't like what I've got to say then maybe he should do the same?

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

Hahahahahahahah.... brave. Would love to spend 5 minutes on you.

You're both clearly very strong and brave....you should arrange to meet up and tickle each other.

I was talking to a big Celtic fan about vvd the other day and his comment was that he looked a class above the SPL, but that when they played Denayer (from city) next to him he made vvd look good but not great. Not seen either playing for Celtic and this is one die hards opinion but makes me wonder how good Denayer is (to be clear he though vvd would be a more than capable prem cb). He also felt that vvd would be off (to either us or Swansea) post champs league qual irrelevant of result.

The problem is that there are innumerable references to Celtic not being willing to sell him until they are done with their Champions league qualification matches.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-afc-transfers-kaboul-others-9668662

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/celtic_s_virgil_van_dijk_is_ideal_transfer_target_for_norwich_city_1_4126153

This one has a very familiar ring to it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-assistant-boss-john-collins-5916424

This one suggests that we are not good enough for him.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/13352739.display/

Lennon was saying that about Wanyama and I can remember someone saying Forster will only go to a 'big club'.

Celtic will always sell if the money is right. A friend supports them and he basically said they are hoarding cash waiting for Rangers to come back (at which point they'll then spend to ensure they are better than them) and in the meantime will just spend enough to ensure they win the league each year and invest in young players to develop. Its a sound model.

From what I've seen of van Dijk I think he would fit us very well - he ticks so many of the boxes that we need ticked.

My concern is that we'll end up with too many players whose decision to come here is largely based on Koeman being our manager.

Losing RK at the end of his contract would be an even bigger problem if it caused a bunch of core players to want to leave at the same time.

From what I've seen of van Dijk I think he would fit us very well - he ticks so many of the boxes that we need ticked.

My concern is that we'll end up with too many players whose decision to come here is largely based on Koeman being our manager.

Losing RK at the end of his contract would be an even bigger problem if it caused a bunch of core players to want to leave at the same time.

I don't think there is anything to suggest that he would come here because of Koeman.

I don't think there is anything to suggest that he would come here because of Koeman.

I'm not about to wet the bed over the issue, but I do feel that most of our signings since RK took over have had more to do with the managers wishes rather than the general club policy regarding new signings. (The famed black box)

Most of us expect RK to move on after his 3 years, and like it or not, that does raise an issue for our heavy Dutch connection regarding both Dutch players and others from the Dutch league.

It would be crazy to dismiss the possible turmoil we might suffer when RK leaves us. Having said all that, our club has an excellent recent record of planning for such events.

danny is still winning plaudits at forest.

Chris, I think you failed to notice the word "Ideal" in the thread title.

Failing that, how come you have Danny Fox at left back.

Or have you heard that Fox is transformed from rear end of a pantomime horse into a real, quality full-back?

Frankly at the moment Fox is our only real option at Left Back, so I include him from necessity.

That said, I'd rather stick a traffic cone there - it would be about as effective - but I'm sure there's something in the rules of the game that prohibits that.

Two words: Danny Fox

We got him from burnley didn't we?

Yes, but Celtic before that. Going to Burnley in between did not make him any less turd.

Danny Fox was truly dreadful it has to be said... Should never have ever played a single game for us...

He was not "turd" or "dreadful" when you look at his signing in context.

- Danny Fox was signed by Saints to get us out of the Championship.

- Saints were promoted out of the Championship in the season he signed; with Fox playing in 41 of our 46 league games as a regular member of one of the best defences in the league & he had 11 league assists

- He was then out of his depth in the Premier League, but he performed a very useful role in the Championship promotion season.

A successful signing, he did what he was signed to do.

Edited by Matthew Le God

- Saints were promoted out of the Championship, with Fox playing in 41 of our 46 league games as a regular member of one of the best defences in the league & he had 11 league assists

- He was then out of his depth in the Premier League, but he performed a very useful role in the Championship promotion season.

You're missing the point. Are we looking for a player to do a job in the championship? No the discussion is whether players who did well in Scotland can make the step up to the premiership - and Danny is not premiership standard. The rest of your post is thus irrelevant.

You're missing the point. Are we looking for a player to do a job in the championship? No the discussion is whether players who did well in Scotland can make the step up to the premiership - and Danny is not premiership standard. The rest of your post is thus irrelevant.

I was responding to people calling him "turd" and "dreadful", its relative to the situation the club find itself in. How Danny Fox did in the Premier League is irrelevant to Virgil van Dijk, you should judge a player on their own merits.

I was responding to people calling him "turd" and "dreadful", its relative to the situation the club find itself in. How Danny Fox did in the Premier League is irrelevant to Virgil van Dijk, you should judge a player on their own merits.

The 'turd' remark was originally in response to examples of Scottish-based players stepping up to the premiership. Not surprising as this is the thrust of the entire thread.

The 'turd' remark was in response to examples of Scottish-based players stepping up to the premiership. As is the thrust of the entire thread.

And as I said... How Danny Fox did in the Premier League is irrelevant to Virgil van Dijk, you should judge a player on their own merits.

Fraser Forster, Victor Wanyama and Steven Davis all came from the Old Firm, did you pre-judge them based on Danny Fox?

And as I said... How Danny Fox did in the Premier League is irrelevant to Virgil van Dijk, you should judge a player on their own merits.

Then you're answering your own contrived question and shouldn't be quoting or responding to others posts.

Other than you, the thread is discussing the standard of Scottish football and how much you can infer from players success in it -Danny Fox being an example- in terms of their chances to adapt to the premiership. The answer gives some sense of how much of a quality adjustment should be made for the fact that VVD looks like a world beater in his YouTube highlights, among other things.

It really couldn't be any simpler.

- Saints were promoted out of the Championship in the season he signed; with Fox playing in 41 of our 46 league games as a regular member of one of the best defences in the league & he had 11 league assists

Sorry, you can try to dress him up any way you like, but he was complete and utter dross and a prime example of how not all players from the SPL that we sign even indirectly work out wwell, which was the point of the thread. I forgot Neil McCann as well.