CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

DF had a good season for us in the Championship. Nobody made a song and dance about him being utter dross or woeful of ****e or whatever then. I actually thought he'd do ok when we got promoted and that ?Fonte would struggle. But Heh, lets all slag off MLG and rewrite history.

No doubt he look quality in the attacking parts of the game, but how about his defensive qualities? Have anyone actually seen him play, and could make a short report on his positioning, marking etc? From the famous youtube videos it is quite clear that he is pretty decent at obstructing the ball though.

Here on my Holibobs in Cataluña (yes Whitey Llafranc again) all my Dutch friends know about Saints to a frightening degree they are all waiting for us to sign Virgil

They also say the KNVB dropped a bollock when they over looked Ronald and burnt their bridges with him in the process.

Edited by John Boy Saint

Then you're answering your own contrived question and shouldn't be quoting or responding to others posts.

Other than you, the thread is discussing the standard of Scottish football and how much you can infer from players success in it -Danny Fox being an example- in terms of their chances to adapt to the premiership. The answer gives some sense of how much of a quality adjustment should be made for the fact that VVD looks like a world beater in his YouTube highlights, among other things.

It really couldn't be any simpler.

Yes let's never buy anyone from Scotland ever again because of Danny Fox.

DF had a good season for us in the Championship. Nobody made a song and dance about him being utter dross or woeful of ****e or whatever then. I actually thought he'd do ok when we got promoted and that ?Fonte would struggle. But Heh, lets all slag off MLG and rewrite history.

Errrrr Fox was slated and rightly so - where were you?

Here on my Holibobs in Cataluña (yes Whitey Llafranc again) all my Dutch friends know about Saints to a frightening degree they are all waiting for us to sign Virgil

They also say the KNVB dropped a bollock when they over looked Ronald and burnt their bridges with him in the process.

Love Llafranc.

Hi John Boy, have a great holiday. We got back a week ago. We left a couple of days early because it was too darned hot, 40 degrees and quite humid at times. We went early this year to avoid the Dutch :)

Slight conspiracy theory here as VVD is currently serving a ban due to a red card in Europe from last season the plan is to sign him after celtics next game so that he completes the ban before moving on

Nice theory.

His suspension has now finished, it was a 1 match ban for two yellow cards vs Inter Milan.

Problem is that Everton will want a replacement for Stones when he inevitably joins Chelsea. Meaning they might have more financial clout to sign VVD with £30m sat in the bank from his sale.....complications with Celtic Chamions League not secure yet but also the threat of Everton potentially (assuming VVD would be a target got them). Shame we can't get the deal done now as it s by no means a foregone conclusion that we will get him

The point was how players from the spl fair in the pl not the championship. MLG was just being his usual pedantic self.

Problem is that Everton will want a replacement for Stones when he inevitably joins Chelsea. Meaning they might have more financial clout to sign VVD with £30m sat in the bank from his sale.....complications with Celtic Chamions League not secure yet but also the threat of Everton potentially (assuming VVD would be a target got them). Shame we can't get the deal done now as it s by no means a foregone conclusion that we will get him

I can see Stones staying for this season at least, he's not going to go to Chelsea to warm the bench, unless he's a complete helmet

But the offer to Everton and financial rewards for the player might be too good to turn down. He would be natural successor to Terry who they will probably save for the big games. It would be s great signing for Chelsea. Anyway here's hoping the draw of Koeman, Europe and Dutch contingent means he comes to us

The point was how players from the spl fair in the pl not the championship. MLG was just being his usual pedantic self.

The point being made seemed to be that Danny Fox was a typical example of a player signed from the top division in Scotland so they clearly wouldn't be good enough.

MLG rightly pointed out was a ridiculous example, given that we'd since signed Davis, Wanyama and Forster who have been more than competent in the Premier League for Saints.

Hooiveld and Fox didn't work out quite as well, but then they weren't signed for a Prem side, they just happened to be in it after promotion. You can't rightly criticise a Championship-level player for not being Prem standard, that's usually why they're in the Championship in the first place. We already knew Fox was at best borderline Prem from his Burnley relegation season, without even considering the fact he played for Celtic a couple of years before, which basically was irrelevant anyway.

So the MLG point that you should judge a player on his own merits was also valid.

FWIW I am 95% sure Van Dijk won't be as good as Alderweireld, but only needs to be better than Yoshida to be worth signing.

Surprised there isn't anything about him playing against Eibar for Celtic (was live on Premier Sports) this afternoon. I don't think we need to read anything into that, no matter what BBC says. If he stays it's because Saints have other options prioritised.

Surprised there isn't anything about him playing against Eibar for Celtic (was live on Premier Sports) this afternoon. I don't think we need to read anything into that, no matter what BBC says. If he stays it's because Saints have other options prioritised.

Also seen we've made a move for vlaar?

Here's hoping he was hampered by the knee injury he had hence the poor season!

That and the general crap-ness of villa

Bertrand was average at best with them

He just strikes me as a defender who is not particularly quick or that athletic

From avfc own website;

Ron Vlaar struggled for fitness in the 2014-15 season - but showed his quality when he did take the field in claret and blue.

The Dutchman began well, impressing alongside Philippe Senderos in the early weeks of the campaign.

But a troublesome calf injury kept him out for prolonged spells throughout the season.

He missed blocks of matches and Villa were thankful for the form of Ciaran Clark and Jores Okore during these periods.

--------------

Ron Peter Vlaar (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈrɔn ˈvlaːr]; born 16 February 1985) is a Dutch footballer who plays as a centre back, and is currently a Free Agent. (From wikipedia)

Yes, came on here to query the phrase ... from 2 sources ... "former Aston Villa defender".

Former? Is he out of contract and available on a free??

I believe so, I was looking through the Official Fantasy Football list and he wasn't on there. Bearing in mind Nathan is still on there for Chelsea despite being loaned to Vitesse, I would assume he has gone. I always liked him but it sounds like Villa fans aren't too sad to see the back of him and think his mistakes and form cost them lots of points last year. But then, perhaps all our dropped points last year were due to Clyne and Schneiderlin...?

Just found this piece on Vlaar on an Irish website. :-/

Ron Vlaar was hot property last summer having had a good World Cup. However, he was never that big of a superstar at Aston Villa and his under-par 2014/15 season only proved that. Vlaar lost the Captain's arm band when Paul Lambert was sacked in February and Tim Sherwood came in to rescue the club's season. But, whilst some of the Villa Park faithful would testify that their centre back was never what the hype and paper talk suggested, even the most cynical wouldn't have expected these sort of stats.

Opta stats from Oulala.com show just how ineffective the Netherlands international was last season.

He averaged 0.55 tackles per game in the Premier League.

That's right: Ron Vlaar was making a tackle every two games for Villa in the league. His stats were that shocking that even Mario Balotelli was winning more tackles per game. Raheem Sterling too. Vlaar is now a free agent, his contract having expired, but, with form like this, he might not have a crowd of clubs lining up for his signature.