CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

According to the likes of SOG we dont need anybody, the squad is perfect.

Perhaps you could do me the courtesy of pointing out one of these posts where someone says the squad is 'perfect' or that we didn't need anyone else so I can know who not to listen to. I did see SOG mention we have CB's still but saw no mention in the post that no more players would be needed. In fact I believe his post even mentioned we may bring 1 or 2 more in. As you seem so assured that people are saying these things i'm sure you can easily provide a quoted example or likewise.

For the record I do agree that the likes or Stephens/Turnbull etc...are not ready for the first team even as a 4th choice and so replacements are required for both Toby and Florin ASAP.

Perhaps you could do me the courtesy of pointing out one of these posts where someone says the squad is 'perfect' or that we didn't need anyone else so I can know who not to listen to. I did see SOG mention we have CB's still but saw no mention in the post that no more players would be needed. In fact I believe his post even mentioned we may bring 1 or 2 more in. As you seem so assured that people are saying these things i'm sure you can easily provide a quoted example or likewise.

For the record I do agree that the likes or Stephens/Turnbull etc...are not ready for the first team even as a 4th choice and so replacements are required for both Toby and Florin ASAP.

Good to see that there are still some reasonable posters her who read what is posted and respond in a measured manner (please take note Alps).

Koeman will know more than anyone what his current capability is.

He looks a great prospect but being rushed into PL football, especially in such a key position as centre back, could ruin him if he isn't ready.

I'm sure Saints will do the right thing but CB isn't a position for rookies IMO. There are barely any 20 year old PL CBs who are decent, probably Stones the only one.

We obviously need at least one CB, preferably someone to start alongside Fonte.

If that is van Dijk then hopefully we can sort something pretty quick. Spurs have 5 senior CBs (and thats discounting Chiriches who is leaving) yet we have only two so its the one area we are weak and ill-prepared currently for a long season of hopefully many games.

Remember how well Manchester United's good young center backs did last year when they were thrown in before they were ready.

Good to see that there are still some reasonable posters her who read what is posted and respond in a measured manner (please take note Alps).

But unfortunately it easier to say " shut up you tedious bell end."

I guess he is new but undoubtedly he will change

But unfortunately it easier to say " shut up you tedious bell end."

I guess he is new but undoubtedly he will change

New to posting but have read the forum over a number of years so am well use to the stylings of some of the regulars. I think the opinions of all fans should be taken into account whether you agree with them or not as it doesn't hurt to have multiple views on things. I myself am quite happy to be proven wrong on things as I believe that's a good way of learning new things otherwise you just get stuck in your own ways regardless of how things actually are.

What I don't like is when people misrepresent, exaggerate or lie about what other people have said - at that point it's no longer about opinions it's about trying to discredit your fellow fans seemingly just because they don't agree with your opinions which in my mind goes against the whole idea of having a forum for discussion in the first place.

As long as people are adding to the actual topic at hand in some way I have no problem with it regardless of whether I think they are 'right' or 'wrong'.

I watched part of the Celtic v Stjarnan game the other night. What concerned me, against a poor quality side Van Dijk completely switched off and lost his man for the goal. If he played like that in the Premier he would be hopeless. I'm assuming at the moment because of all the talk that he is better than that. He isn't really tested too much playing for the only top side in a very poor league who last year looked really poor in the early rounds of the EUFA champions league especially against the Polish team.

Zouma has been linked with a loan and CDAJFU. Don't know if we could offer him regular football though, especially as Toby's replacement will be half-decent.

He'd be good because he can also provide midfield cover for Big Vic, haven't seen any links though?

Zouma has been linked with a loan and CDAJFU. Don't know if we could offer him regular football though, especially as Toby's replacement will be half-decent.
Didn't he play really well a couple of times as a defensive midfielder as well? I think he would be an awesome signing, thought he would step into Terry's shoes which surprised me when Chelsea started going after Stones.

Perhaps a cheeky bid for Lovren and let Jose teach him a bit more? At least it would be a kind gesture and he could bring his head back to rejoin his body.

I would be interested to know how much people would be willing to pay for Lovren - obviously no where near the £20m we fleeced Scousehampton for - I think I would go up to about £8m

I would be interested to know how much people would be willing to pay for Lovren - obviously no where near the £20m we fleeced Scousehampton for - I think I would go up to about £8m

I think £8m is a bit high. We'd be taking a punt - he is low on confidence and he would have to put in some pretty decent performances to get the fans back on his side. I'd say £4-5m was fair.

city have a handy CB called Deneyer....would be a good shout

We aren't going to go for an unproven youngster, when the point of us getting a new centre back is to not expose our unproven youngsters.

We aren't going to go for an unproven youngster, when the point of us getting a new centre back is to not expose our unproven youngsters.

he was player of the season in celtic/scotland last season. same team/country as VvD. He has also just broken into the belgium squad. has VvD played for holland?

so the tater says in the city/madrid game

Edited by Batman

Ronald's comments seemed to point to getting two centre backs, which makes total sense if he doesn't believe Stephens and Turnbull are ready and it appears he doesn't. Probably one high value first XI choice to replace Toby and then perhaps a more experienced CB in their late 20s or early 30s on loan who might be out of favour at one of Europe's top clubs. The European experience might be helpful too.

Cruel blow for Gardos and Saints. Crazy to think that we've had J Rod, Forster and now him with serious, long-term knee injuries in such a short space of time. Essentially, they are impact injuries too so not sure the club could have done much to prevent them. Hope our luck changes soon in that regard.

he was player of the season in celtic/scotland last season. same team/country as VvD. He has also just broken into the belgium squad. has VvD played for holland?

so the tater says in the city/madrid game

Stefan Johansen was player of the year, so the commentator must be mistaken.

...for a season loan, though...if he was only a " one-season wonder ", I wouldn't want him around for another 3-4 years.....

...for a season loan, though...if he was only a " one-season wonder ", I wouldn't want him around for another 3-4 years.....

I was thinking get Lovren back on a year-long loan as well, definitely not permanent. Low on confidence, probably won't get many games for Brenda, is basically sound when playing alongside a good leader like Fonte, would be decent cover for Yoshi and as said it would mean his head and body were reunited.

I wouldn't dream of giving Liverpool any of their misspent money back. I'd rather play Alpine in defence than give them money back for Lovren.

Seriously his confidence is rock bottom, doubts are surely raised as to whether he can reach SFC highs again. There would be better options out there, not that he's a bad player...

I wouldn't dream of giving Liverpool any of their misspent money back. I'd rather play Alpine in defence than give them money back for Lovren.

Seriously his confidence is rock bottom, doubts are surely raised as to whether he can reach SFC highs again. There would be better options out there, not that he's a bad player...

I'm sure his high wages and head being in Liverhampton, will usurp his rockbottom confidence... :rolleyes:

Was thinking I'lld list a few CBs I would like Saints to be interested in, most of these are young that are seen to be great prospects.. not sure how realistic though.

Samuel Umtiti- 20 French and plays for Olympique Lyonnaise

Paulo Oliveira- 22 Portuguese and plays for Sporting CP

Inigo Martinez- 23 Spanish and plays for Real Sociedad

Kostas Manolas- 23 Greek and plays for Roma

Ideally would be good to get someone who stays more than one season otherwise it just keeps putting pressure on the scouting staff to find another gem, and Fonte to keep building new partnerships.

The fact a player of the potential of van Dijk has a similar asking price to James Chester is just mad.

Ideally would be good to get someone who stays more than one season otherwise it just keeps putting pressure on the scouting staff to find another gem, and Fonte to keep building new partnerships.

The fact a player of the potential of van Dijk has a similar asking price to James Chester is just mad.

Chester is a decent player with Premier experience. I don't think it's mad.

He's been ok at best. I've never watched him and thought future star player. Van Dijk could be, think he's miles ahead. Chester would be an ok signing if we didn't have Yoshi. As back-up/competition he'd be fine, but Yoshi is excellent for that and seems happy to do it knowing he'll get plenty of game time overall.

I've rated Chester for a while. I've never seen VVD play. What do you base your opinion of him on?

This needs to be Saints big signing of the summer - not getting VVD will likely cost a couple of million in lost league places if we don't replacement the quality of Toby IMO (even though I do believe Yoshi is an improved player) and so it's worth splashing a little more to beat the other suitors.