All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

So Sir Keir Starmer QC has revealed in a podcast interview that his children have been attending school all the way through as "key worker" Children.

Which is fair enough as his wife works in the NHS.

What isn't fair enough is to change his argument on schools.

This would be the same guy who as shadow Brexit Minister, produced the policy on Brexit for his Party that lost them the last election, because the electorate either couldn't understand Labour's position on Brexit, or thought that it was a joke

When in doubt, drag up Brexit. You know you are in trouble.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/michael-rosen-hospital-ill-intensive-care-a9529551.html

CB Fry won't be bothered but I'm glad this lovely Jewish gentleman is out of intensive care.

Not sure that this has any relevance to this thread whatsoever but I remember seeing him perform in person as a child and I have several of his books in the house now that I read and have read to my children since they were small. And his Radio 4 series was great.

Is this a contemporary poets thread now?

Not sure that this has any relevance to this thread whatsoever but I remember seeing him perform in person as a child and I have several of his books in the house now that I read and have read to my children since they were small. And his Radio 4 series was great.

I thought you hated all raving Corbynistas? They're vicious antisemites don't you know.

He’s the guy that did the chocolate cake story all the kids love isn’t it? ,y son finds it brilliant.

He’s the guy that did the chocolate cake story all the kids love isn’t it? ,y son finds it brilliant.
That's the one. Bear Hunt probably his most famous work but my two loved two picture books about the Bear in the Cave and in the Town which were great. Also a book called "Bananas in My Ears" illustrated by Quinten Blake is very funny. Also his book introducing Shakespeare to young readers is very good.

All in all, he's great.

That's the one. Bear Hunt probably his most famous work but my two loved two picture books about the Bear in the Cave and in the Town which were great. Also a book called "Bananas in My Ears" illustrated by Quinten Blake is very funny. Also his book introducing Shakespeare to young readers is very good.

All in all, he's great.

He is, I’ll have a look out for those books.

All in all, he's great.

I believe it was you or Hypo calling him an idiot a while back.

Probably you, as it's pretty odd, not to mention *cretinous*, to read your children stories by a known antisemitic sympathiser

https://www.berfrois.com/2019/12/for-jeremy-corbyn-michael-rosen/

Probably you, as it's pretty odd, not to mention *cretinous*, to read your children stories by a known antisemitic sympathiser

Don't think I've ever given an opinion on him. Going on a bear hunt is a fantastic children's book.

I think you need a girlfriend or something.

As we've covered before, you're the one in a cult.

The rest of us live in a slightly wider world where we can enjoy the creative endeavors of someone without having to sign in blood to everything they happen to believe politically. When we're talking about Children's literature it is frankly mind-boggling how pathetic you have come across.

We can have a variation on this conversation again if anything ever happens to Ken Loach, or Mark Steel, or Billy Bragg. I'd encourage it. Make my fu cking day. Tell me I'm not allowed to like them either.

I think you need a girlfriend or something.

As we've covered before, you're the one in a cult.

The rest of us live in a slightly wider world where we can enjoy the creative endeavors of someone without having to sign in blood to everything they happen to believe politically. When we're talking about Children's literature it is frankly mind-boggling how pathetic you have come across.

We can have a variation on this conversation again if anything ever happens to Ken Loach, or Mark Steel, or Billy Bragg. I'd encourage it. Make my fu cking day. Tell me I'm not allowed to like them either.

I'm just surprised. Those are serious accusations.

If I found out David Walliams was a Jimmy Savile sympathiser, or JK Rowling had donated to A NeoNazi group,Id think long and hard about allowing their material in my house.

I'm just surprised. Those are serious accusations.

If I found out David Walliams was a Jimmy Savile sympathiser, or JK Rowling had donated to A NeoNazi group,Id think long and hard about allowing their material in my house.

Walliams and Rowling would easily fit into your own "fu ck off and join the Tories" hit list anyway. I don't think even you know what point you're making.

Do you really look into the political affiliations of every producer of media that you've ever consumed? Is it not possible to separate art from the artist? There's tons of pieces of art, music, fiction etc that I love and I'm sure I'd disagree wholeheartedly on a number of things with the people who made them. Just weird that you would exclude yourself from experiencing something amazing because you disagree with someone politically.

Do you really look into the political affiliations of every producer of media that you've ever consumed? Is it not possible to separate art from the artist? There's tons of pieces of art, music, fiction etc that I love and I'm sure I'd disagree wholeheartedly on a number of things with the people who made them. Just weird that you would exclude yourself from experiencing something amazing because you disagree with someone politically.

Excellent post. To do otherwise suggests political control of the arts in the manner of Stalin's Russia.

Oh Hi Hamster Hammond.

Excellent post. To do otherwise suggests political control of the arts in the manner of Stalin's Russia.

:lol: Sorry to break Godwins Law but you'd hang one of Hitler's paintings in your house? How about a nice pot by Rolf Harris?

[emoji38] Sorry to break Godwins Law but you'd hang one of Hitler's paintings in your house? How about a nice pot by Rolf Harris?

You do realise you started all of this by suggesting I might want an elderly poet to die?

Edited by CB Fry

Can I still listen to my Lostprophets albums?

No, merely that you wouldn't be bothered
With the implication that I wouldn't be bothered if he died. I think everyone knew the sh itty point you were making.

It perfectly encapsulated your worldview so congratulations.

• 5 weeks later...

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Kier Starmer taking absolutely no shit whatsoever. 

Decisive discipline in the party at last.

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Blimey. Boris should be worried, keir doing exactly the right thing. 

This has of course been managed to allow him to take the high ground over discipline etc after the recent Cummins, and now Jenrick episode.

Can't criticise his response on this now, but don't recall him being so outspoken about anti-semitism in the party previously despite several pointing out the hypocrisy of his silence when his wife is jewish.

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

This has of course been managed to allow him to take the high ground over discipline etc after the recent Cummins, and now Jenrick episode.

Can't criticise his response on this now, but don't recall him being so outspoken about anti-semitism in the party previously despite several pointing out the hypocrisy of his silence when his wife is jewish.

To be fair to him he couldn't do much when he wasn't leading the party. I'd prefer to judge him on his actions now he's actually in charge and that's an impressive response. Also the more of the hard left starmer can remove from the Labour the better and the more electable they will become. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

To be fair to him he couldn't do much when he wasn't leading the party. I'd prefer to judge him on his actions now he's actually in charge and that's an impressive response. Also the more of the hard left starmer can remove from the Labour the better and the more electable they will become. 

true to a point, although there was a thought that he and others could have offered support to their colleagues who felt to be the focus of a "witch hunt" from the hard left.

Certainly the closer into the centre ground he and the party move the more electable they will seem.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

true to a point, although there was a thought that he and others could have offered support to their colleagues who felt to be the focus of a "witch hunt" from the hard left.

Certainly the closer into the centre ground he and the party move the more electable they will seem.

He couldn't alienate too many of the hard left whilst they held the levers of power. Now he's in charge he can throw them out and I hope he does so! Lammy and jess Phillips put next and we'll be getting somewhere. 

17 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He couldn't alienate too many of the hard left whilst they held the levers of power. Now he's in charge he can throw them out and I hope he does so! Lammy and jess Phillips put next and we'll be getting somewhere. 

Jess Phillips hard left? She's a pragmatist and despised by the Corbynite left.

Needless to say, oddballs who are obsessed with culture wars will probably have something against her.

Edited by shurlock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Sir Kier Starmer playing a blinder 

F94E18E9-9A9B-414E-90AE-C22536E267E8.jpeg

Strange Lord D, thought you'd have been full of praise for Starmer's stand against anti-semitism.  You were pretty outraged at Corbyn and his lack of it - or is your support only conditional when it suits you?

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Strange Lord D, thought you'd have been full of praise for Starmer's stand against anti-semitism.  You were pretty outraged at Corbyn and his lack of it - or is your support only conditional when it suits you?

To be fair, his profile picture of the labour supporter George Harrison on his profile is a bit off for such a right winger so he definitely picks and chooses.

Edited by Hockey_saint

29 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Ringo Starr innit?  Easy mistake to make when you don't have your mind cast firmly back in the good old days though

Yeah, sorry, explains why he's got him on there too; a quick google points to Richard Starky there being an ardent Brexiteer....Still, John was right about him "best drummer in the world? He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles."

24 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

Yeah, sorry, explains why he's got him on there too; a quick google points to Richard Starky there being an ardent Brexiteer....Still, John was right about him "best drummer in the world? He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles."

Wrong again. Fake news, he never said it.

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

What’s strange is sacking someone from the shadow cabinet  for anti Semitic behaviour,  yet not kicking them out the party. Still this is a guy that 6 months ago was campaigning to put an anti Semite into Downing Street, so I guess it’s a start. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Wrong again. Fake news, he never said it.

Yes, that was a Jasper Carrot line. But since Paul would often come into the studio after Ringo played and redo his parts, it would certainly suggest at least McCartney was of that view.

14 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What’s strange is sacking someone from the shadow cabinet  for anti Semitic behaviour,  yet not kicking them out the party. Still this is a guy that 6 months ago was campaigning to put an anti Semite into Downing Street, so I guess it’s a start. 

Shall we not quibble about the definition of Semitic person? Whilst I didn't particularly care for Corbyn and agree that getting rid of this Bailey woman was probably the best thing to do, it might be a stretch for you to claim he agreed with Corbyn's views of Israel. Corbyn supporters seem sure he stabbed him in the back so perhaps he wasn't completely down with it either.

7 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Ringo Starr innit?  Easy mistake to make when you don't have your mind cast firmly back in the good old days though

I see Duckie as a poor man's Jeremy Clarkson. They both enjoy the controversy they provoke with slightly wacky, forthright views and their unconventional view of the world.  I can see Clarkson being his next profile. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hockey_saint said:

Yes, that was a Jasper Carrot line. But since Paul would often come into the studio after Ringo played and redo his parts, it would certainly suggest at least McCartney was of that view

Paul McCartney is a fantastic musician and a brilliant drummer, Stevie Wonder claimed he was one of the best he’s ever heard. However he didn’t “often” redo Ringos parts, that’s pony. He played drums on only a handful of tracks, most famously on ‘ Ballad of John & Yoko’ where he played everything, bar the lead guitar.

A leftie now seems to think that having a Beatle In your profile is “doing a Clarkson”. Everything is political to some people. They see political statements in every little thing.