All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Not a fan of Corbyn; but the Sun and Mail are actually winning him plenty of votes with their stupid articles. The IRA one was a classic - the word on the grapevine is that it helped Labour in a number of marginal and cost May an overall majority. The Sun was no better. Still 'it's the Sun wot lost it' isn't quite as catchy.

If the press want to hole him below the water line; where's the money coming from? Has pledged to abolish University tuition fees which was very popular. Where will the £11bn come from? He could reduce places but could that disadvantage social mobility? I won't even go into the remarks on the loan book but that could make fees a drop in the ocean. Public Sector pay as well. Re-nationalisation of rail? Very difficult for him to U-turn on the key elements (see Nick Clegg) but if he was elected he'd have to address funding.

It's healthy for democracy that some of these issues are in the debate and will strengthen the One Nation Tory/Right of Centre hand against the most extreme loons on the Tory Right (and there are some sensible people on that wing as well). However, I confess to be being quite scared about how any, let alone some, of these items will be paid for.

Anyone who votes for Corbyn and McDonnell is voting both themselves, their children, and the rest of the country down the drain.

It's the last thing the country needs and will damage the nation's finances and society.

The IFS have just released a report stating that the financial gap between the richest and poorest has narrowed substantially since the last Labour government, and that is despite austerity and despite the basis of a lot of labours campaigning. Which was all lies, spin and/or uncosted promises frankly. No surprise that the working class voted tory, and the liberal elite earning 6-7 figure bbc salaries voted labour...

The tories may not be your cup of tea... but by god, why the hell would you vote for Corbyn!

Thats my political outlook anyway, often followed by the acknowledgement that he will win the next general election, we'll have 5-10 years of ultra left win misery, once again turn into the sick man of europe, and this time they'll be no way back.

There is an obvious reason for the generational split between labour and tory voters... as you get older you get wiser (on average obviously).

There is an obvious reason for the generational split between labour and tory voters... as you get older you get wiser (on average obviously).

Actually you get more selfish and convinced that you've been uniquely smart by buying a house that went up in value and a pension that ballooned with the stock market (on average). In reality all you've done is taken part in a wealth transfer from the young - you remember them? the people you rely on to keep you fed, healthy and warm.

Edited by buctootim

Anyone who votes for Corbyn and McDonnell is voting both themselves, their children, and the rest of the country down the drain.

It's the last thing the country needs and will damage the nation's finances and society.

The IFS have just released a report stating that the financial gap between the richest and poorest has narrowed substantially since the last Labour government, and that is despite austerity and despite the basis of a lot of labours campaigning. Which was all lies, spin and/or uncosted promises frankly. No surprise that the working class voted tory, and the liberal elite earning 6-7 figure bbc salaries voted labour...

The tories may not be your cup of tea... but by god, why the hell would you vote for Corbyn!

Thats my political outlook anyway, often followed by the acknowledgement that he will win the next general election, we'll have 5-10 years of ultra left win misery, once again turn into the sick man of europe, and this time they'll be no way back.

Wise must be 50+ then because anyone under that age group voted overwhelmingly in favour of Labour.

Maybe you would vote for Corbyn because you are sick to death of a party who are self serving and look after their buddies and want to see a party in power who will think about the majority rather than the minority. Austerity was a choice forced on us. The public sector have been hammered whilst those doing the hammering voted themselves a decent pay increase (funny that the non-existent money tree appears at certain times and not at others). I will turn your question around, why the hell would you vote Tory? Change is coming, but not soon enough.

Actually you get more selfish and convinced that you've been uniquely smart by buying a house that went up in value and a pension that ballooned with the stock market (on average). In reality all you've done is taken part in a wealth transfer from the young - you remember them? the people you rely on to keep you fed, healthy and warm.

I know plenty of exceptions to this, libeltim, and it's a cruel generalisation for those who've reached their 60s and 70s and are in a state of penury that this should be hung on people of a particular age. Most of my older neighbours here up north are living on the state pension alone. £150 a week for everything isn't a picnic. There have been some huge beneficiaries, it's true, but most of the explosive growth in the value of property happened from the mid-1990s onwards, and again between 2011 and 2016, which means there were large numbers of Gen X beneficiaries too. The 'wealth transfer from the young' idea plays too hard on the politics of envy.

If Labour is to win power - and I don't believe it will under the present leadership - it needs to appeal, among others, to the very people you're demonising. But then that's the problem with Corbynism: it sees traitors and vote-murderers everywhere, as if anyone who had the temerity to vote even for Labour 1997-2010 was guilty of near-genocide (fanboy TM).

Interesting to note, by the way, the claim by Corbyn himself immediately before the election that he will 'deal with' (implying he'd cancel) the billions in graduate debt. After the election this was downgraded to an 'ambition' by the execrable McDonnell, and then finally ruled out altogether by shadow education secretary Angela Raynor, who said the debt cancellation 'won't happen'.

How refreshingly different is Corbyn...

What's the financial gap when's it at home? The IFS looked solely at changes in income inequality - the elephant in the room, of course, is wealth inequality. Another limit of the report is that it largely ignores housing costs (figure 3.5 is the exception). Income is calculated before housing costs are deducted. The rising cost of rents, and the rising share of renters, has eroded the incomes of poorer households since the crisis, who are disproprtionately renters.

I know plenty of exceptions to this, libeltim, and it's a cruel generalisation for those who've reached their 60s and 70s and are in a state of penury that this should be hung on people of a particular age. Most of my older neighbours here up north are living on the state pension alone. £150 a week for everything isn't a picnic. There have been some huge beneficiaries, it's true, but most of the explosive growth in the value of property happened from the mid-1990s onwards, and again between 2011 and 2016, which means there were large numbers of Gen X beneficiaries too. The 'wealth transfer from the young' idea plays too hard on the politics of envy.

If Labour is to win power - and I don't believe it will under the present leadership - it needs to appeal, among others, to the very people you're demonising. But then that's the problem with Corbynism: it sees traitors and vote-murderers everywhere, as if anyone who had the temerity to vote even for Labour 1997-2010 was guilty of near-genocide (fanboy TM).

Interesting to note, by the way, the claim by Corbyn himself immediately before the election that he will 'deal with' (implying he'd cancel) the billions in graduate debt. After the election this was downgraded to an 'ambition' by the execrable McDonnell, and then finally ruled out altogether by shadow education secretary Angela Raynor, who said the debt cancellation 'won't happen'.

Am no fan of Corbyn but let's be accurate: the debt wipeout idea never appeared in the manifesto, so claims he's u-turning or misleading people are greatly exaggerated.

There you go again.

What does it profit you if your house goes up in nominal value? It's still just a house and if it's not sold how on earth is that wealth transfer from the young? You could do the same - all you have to do is buy a house and after 25 years of payments you will own it (if you live that long).

In reality pensions have not ballooned, rather to the contrary. Once taken a pension will not balloon it will stay fixed.

'The people you rely on to keep you fed, healthy and warm.' ?

I'm not sure where you get that from. On the one hand you complain about somebody having a pension and on the other you complain about having to feed, heal and clothe them. The elderly could just as easily complain about all the young unemployed and single mothers on benefits.

Am no fan of Corbyn but let's be accurate: the debt wipeout idea never appeared in the manifesto, so claims he's u-turning or misleading people are greatly exaggerated.
He said it in a major interview in the NME and it made huge shock waves on social media.

Have a look how the interview was reported in the evening standard.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-could-write-off-student-debt-for-graduates-who-paid-9000-a3554841.html

And on other sites

https://thetab.com/uk/2017/06/01/jeremy-corbyn-heavily-implied-write-off-historic-student-debt-elected-government-40761

And

https://www.joe.co.uk/politics/jeremy-corbyns-student-loan-policy-could-be-potentially-life-changing-127951

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It brings it all back now. I remember getting that letter from the Inland Revenue 40 years ago, when I first started to earn a salary, like it was yesterday.

The one that asked me to confirm whether I would like to pay income tax and national insurance to the old people so that they could get free medical treatment and pensions, or would I rather keep it all to buy myself a nice house to get rich quick.

He said it in a major interview in the NME and it made huge shock waves on social media.

Have a look how the interview was reported in the evening standard.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-could-write-off-student-debt-for-graduates-who-paid-9000-a3554841.html

And on other sites

https://thetab.com/uk/2017/06/01/jeremy-corbyn-heavily-implied-write-off-historic-student-debt-elected-government-40761

And

https://www.joe.co.uk/politics/jeremy-corbyns-student-loan-policy-could-be-potentially-life-changing-127951

Was it in the manifesto? Simple point that even you should be able to understand.

Was it in the manifesto? Simple point that even you should be able to understand.
That makes no odds.

'Corbyn is the trustworthy one' people say. So surely the words he speaks must be believed

It brings it all back now. I remember getting that letter from the Inland Revenue 40 years ago, when I first started to earn a salary, like it was yesterday.

The one that asked me to confirm whether I would like to pay income tax and national insurance to the old people so that they could get free medical treatment and pensions, or would I rather keep it all to buy myself a nice house to get rich quick.

I remember the Saturday work that I did 52 years ago. I'm prety sure there was National Insurance taken off my meagre wages.

There you go again.

What does it profit you if your house goes up in nominal value? It's still just a house and if it's not sold how on earth is that wealth transfer from the young? You could do the same - all you have to do is buy a house and after 25 years of payments you will own it (if you live that long).

In reality pensions have not ballooned, rather to the contrary. Once taken a pension will not balloon it will stay fixed.

'The people you rely on to keep you fed, healthy and warm.' ?

I'm not sure where you get that from. On the one hand you complain about somebody having a pension and on the other you complain about having to feed, heal and clothe them. The elderly could just as easily complain about all the young unemployed and single mothers on benefits.

You seem to get very riled and make less and less sense on this issue grandaddy :lol:

You do realise that over-60s account for three quarters of benefit spending? Basically, the tax and benefits system shifts resources from the middle-aged to the old and to the young and from men to women.

I remember the Saturday work that I did 52 years ago. I'm prety sure there was National Insurance taken off my meagre wages.

But I'm sure you can sleep well now at night, knowing that you paid for the free education for today's thirty- and forty-somethings

But I'm sure you can sleep well now at night, knowing that you paid for the free education for today's thirty- and forty-somethings
But that was a lot more affordable as there was a heck of a lot less people going to university back then...

That makes no odds.

'Corbyn is the trustworthy one' people say. So surely the words he speaks must be believed

No odds? In English?

You were the one who not too long ago was blurting on about the constitutional significance of conventions like the Salisbury Convention. Yeh manifesto pledges make no odds :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Do you not fact check anything? The Welsh Assembly did away with parking charges in Wales in 2008. The Cardiff UHW is one of the few remaining exceptions because the operator had a long term contract until 2021 and it would be unlawful to break it. Nothing Corbyn said is wrong. If only that were true of you even 10% of the time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7273649.stm

Was the long term contract part of a Labour PFI deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to get very riled and make less and less sense on this issue grandaddy :lol:

You do realise that over-60s account for three quarters of benefit spending? Basically, the tax and benefits system shifts resources from the middle-aged to the old and to the young and from men to women.

Pensions aren't benefits. They were bloody well paid for.

What's the difference between funding education up to 18 or up to 21? Or don't you want a well-educated workforce? Besides, graduates will tend to earn higher salaries and pay more in tax. Media studies was not an option in my day.

Eh? You mentioned how the benefits system was subsidising single mothers and the young unemployed and I pointed out that the welfare state (including but not only the contributory state pension) basically shifts resources to the old. That's before we get into the fact that the old are heaviest users of the health system. Get your tabloid generalisations right next time before you spout rubbish.

Edited by shurlock

No odds? In English?

You were the one who not too long ago was blurting on about the constitutional significance of conventions like the Salisbury Convention. Yeh manifesto pledges make no odds [emoji38]

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/make-no-odds

At least you can gain a little bit of knowledge...

More gastroenterine discharge polluting the collective subconscious of Saintsweb.

Eh? You mentioned how the benefits system was subsidising single mothers and the young unemployed and I pointed out that the welfare state (including but not only the contributory state pension) basically shifts resources to the old. That's before we get into the fact that the old are heaviest users of the health system. Get your tabloid generalisations right next time before you spout rubbish.

I repeat. My state pension is not a 'benefit'. You can call it what you like now but that's not what it was called when my wife and I were paying contributions towards I'd. There used to be a 'Department for Work and Pensions'.

I don't read tabloids.

I repeat. My state pension is not a 'benefit'. You can call it what you like now but that's not what it was called when my wife and I were paying contributions towards I'd. There used to be a 'Department for Work and Pensions'.

I don't read tabloids.

But that money wasnt squirreled away for your future, you getting paid it now relies on young and middle aged people working and paying taxes.

But that money wasnt squirreled away for your future, you getting paid it now relies on young and middle aged people working and paying taxes.

Back when National Insurance started it was supposed to be partly invested to cover pensions. The rot set in when NI got lumped in with general taxation and became available to government to do with as they will. If it was given a bulletproof ring fence and only used for its original purpose I doubt many people would object to paying what is necessary to sustain it.

I repeat. My state pension is not a 'benefit'.

I agree. But I also think it should rise with the cost of living only. What you can buy with it the day you retire, should be the same 5,10,15 years later. Why should you get a 2.5% increase if inflation is at 1.5% & average earnings at 1%?

I agree. But I also think it should rise with the cost of living only. What you can buy with it the day you retire, should be the same 5,10,15 years later. Why should you get a 2.5% increase if inflation is at 1.5% & average earnings at 1%?

Exactly. Double lock, rather than triple would easily do the trick.

Whether that will go ahead is anybodies guess...

I had no control over that. If the government chose to do a Robert Maxwell and rob the pension fund that was their decision. Besides, I pay taxes, all the OAPs I know pay taxes, even my 97 year old mother pays taxes on her meagre pension.

I have no problems with that.

How's pensions any different from any other benefit? We pay a proportion of our salary to the government to go towards the welfare state so that if you are unlucky enough to be made unemployed or are ill, injured, old etc there is a safety net that means you are looked after - they are all bloody well paid for.

I had no control over that. If the government chose to do a Robert Maxwell and rob the pension fund that was their decision. Besides, I pay taxes, all the OAPs I know pay taxes, even my 97 year old mother pays taxes on her meagre pension.

Thats either dishonesty or stupidity. Since its beginnings during WW2 its always been clear that the state pension and healthcare was a pay as you go system - there was never a pot saved up for you. Your contributions paid for the benefits of the people retiring and sick then - and those contributions were much lower than working people pay to support you now.

Young people today have a much heavier burden than you did when you were working. You benefited from lower housing costs and lower taxes and accordingly now have much higher levels of assets.

Thats either dishonesty or stupidity. Since its beginnings during WW2 its always been clear that the state pension and healthcare was a pay as you go system - there was never a pot saved up for you. Your contributions paid for the benefits of the people retiring and sick then - and those contributions were much lower than working people pay to support you now.

Young people today have a much heavier burden than you did when you were working. You benefited from lower housing costs and lower taxes and accordingly now have much higher levels of assets.

Probably a bit of both.

The rise in housing costs and taxes has far more to do with the rise in living standards and consequently life expectancy since the inception of the welfare state than any other factor. Whitey had no more control over that than any other pensioner. I lived with my grandparents as a kid, they didn't even have an indoor toilet. Nowadays people seem to consider sky tv, broadband, mobiles and cars as necessary to their existence. It was also quite unusual to find anyone who owned their own place rather than renting.

The rise in housing costs and taxes has far more to do with the rise in living standards and consequently life expectancy since the inception of the welfare state than any other factor. Whitey had no more control over that than any other pensioner. I lived with my grandparents as a kid, they didn't even have an indoor toilet. Nowadays people seem to consider sky tv, broadband, mobiles and cars as necessary to their existence. It was also quite unusual to find anyone who owned their own place rather than renting.

Of course. I'm not saying the generation who had the windfall are to blame for causing the situation - but they nonetheless have benefitted. We currently have a perverse situation where the working young, already saddled with student loans, sky high housing and stagnant wages are paying the healthcare and pension benefits of people who are often asset rich - far richer than they can ever hope to be.

Of course. I'm not saying the generation who had the windfall are to blame for causing the situation - but they nonetheless have benefitted. We currently have a perverse situation where the working young, already saddled with student loans, sky high housing and stagnant wages are paying the healthcare and pension benefits of people who are often asset rich - far richer than they can ever hope to be.

In a nutshell.

And don't get me started on the winter fuel allowance.

Student loans go to those who choose to go into further education at age 18, I think. That's up to them, they aren't under any obligation to do so. I bet Whiteys education stopped at 16, I'm younger but mine stopped at that age apart from a grant that paid part of my rent in the Midlands. My parents had to pay a percentage of that.

In a nutshell.

And don't get me started on the winter fuel allowance.

And what happened when the Tories tried to bin that & the triple lock, labour and assorted lefties went nuts. Because of the reaction no party will attempt to address this unfairness for a generation.

It's not just housing which has benefitted from a major boom. Assets, in general, have been on a tear since the 1980s. Globalisation, especially since the 1990s, has played a huge role in tilting things in the favour of baby boomers – the integration of millions into global labour markets has kept a lid on the wages of younger cohorts just as they entered the workforce while boosting returns to capital, capital which largely belongs to the boomers and lucky bores like Whitey through their pension schemes, share ownership etc.

Verbal’s diarrhoea about generation X partaking in all this gets the dates wrong and fundamentally misunderstands the lifecycle of consumption, saving and investment. Most people don’t start saving till their thirties, if they're even able to – that’s established in theory and fact.

If you were born in the sixties, you might have caught some of the roaring 90s. If you were born the 1970’s you would have enjoyed the asset price boom that accompanied the build-up of the financial crisis only to be totally floored. Asset prices have since rebounded thanks to QE (thoughthey look increasingly perilous) but if you entered the market just before the crisis–unlike many boomers who have lived through sustained gains, there has been a natural hesitation or nervousness to be fully invested again. And if you were born in the late 80s or 90s, forget it. Stagnant wages and student debt have made saving more difficult. And when, if you are finally in a position to start saving and accumulate assets, you have the prospect of mediocre returns to look forward to:

http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/private-equity-and-principal-investors/our-insights/why-investors-may-need-to-lower-their-sights

Edited by shurlock

Any accumulated 'wealth' stored up in the increased market value of my house will go to my children when I finally turn up my toes, so in the end the transfer of wealth is from the old to the young.

Does anyone still believe that hard Brexit - renouncing membership of the single market and the customs union - has any hope of getting through this parliament?

It doesn't have a prayer.

Hard Brexit and soft Brexit won't happen. Mainly as theyre a figment of the remainers imagination.

Brexit, will occur. As that's what was voted for.

Hard Brexit and soft Brexit won't happen. Mainly as theyre a figment of the remainers imagination.

There's only one way to leave the EU? Behave child.

The terms were clearly set out. Losing membership of the single market and the customs union doesn't have a prayer of getting through this parliament.

And it's not simply because the leading Brexiteers are as thick as mince. Although they are. Here's Andrea Leadsom celebrating Jane Austin as 'one of our greatest living authors.'

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/887996769371652097/video/1

Any accumulated 'wealth' stored up in the increased market value of my house will go to my children when I finally turn up my toes, so in the end the transfer of wealth is from the old to the young.

How old will your kids be then? 60? What will they use the money for? a buy to let to increase their retirement fund?

Edited by buctootim