David Gilmour

Crazy Diamond

Well I'm feeling rather smug, I have myself a ticket to see Mr. Gilmour down at the Brighton Centre on September 5th.

Never thought I'd be able to see him as tickets are very expensive and like gold dust. Out of the corner of my eye last night on Twitter I saw a post that said there was a pre-sale for a single gig before he embarks on a world tour, so I jumped at the chance and got myself a ticket.

As you may deduce from my username, I'm a bit of a fan... Anyone else going? Seen him or the Floyd before?

Saw him at a special BBC do in London when he was doing promotion for On An Island.

Rick Wright in his band too.

He was very good - of course.

Ah yes I remember turning the TV on before school one morning and there it was. Radio 2 event?

I'm hoping Mr. Mason will be on drums next month.

1994 Division Bell tour at Earls Court. We went a couple of days after a stand had collapsed, which was in the back of your mind to start with, but soon forgotten.

It made up for seeing Saints lose at Leicester 4-3 in the afternoon.

I remember seeing that on the news - my parents had been at that gig I think.

• 4 weeks later...
Does he still live in Kimbridge? I did a job for him, years ago.

He lives in the former residence of Camilla Parker-Bowles, possibly near Salisbury?

Gutted , absolutely gutted I didn't see this. Live near Brighton and failed To get tickets for his tour.

Please let me know how the tour goes mate.

Shall do - that really is a shame, going on your username you must be pretty close! Don't waste your time trying to get a ticket off a tout or online, you need ID with you when you attend.

Good gig. Highlights were undoubtedly Wish You Were Here, Money (first time he's played it as a solo artist), Us and Them, High Hopes, Astronomy Domine, Shine On, Fat Old Sun, Sorrow, Run Like Hell, Time, and Comfortably Numb.

It was really, really good. I had a perfect view and the light show, as you would expect, was superb - it was amazingly bright in places, the band even wore sunglasses during Run Like Hell, it certainly wasn't epileptic-friendly. My eyes were still sore this morning, to give you some idea.

Richard Wright was missed in places, there were bits that just weren't as good as he would do it, and indeed it didn't feel as tight as a whole in places as you would expect. There were a number of times where David went to change from one instrument to another, and the band had to improvise as he did it because he took a few seconds too long. Couple of solos weren't quite there, particularly On an Island, which is a great song, but it was the first gig of the tour so I suppose it's early days.

How can I complain though? I essentially saw the 1994 Floyd. Guy Pratt has lost most of his hair I noticed, and **** Parry wasn't there - Gilmour said he 'wasn't feeling up to it', so I wonder what his health is like these days.

The new album? Aside from the title track, I wouldn't rush to buy it. It was supposed to be out by now, and he said it was 'some sort of **** up' that had prevented it from being released by the time of the gig yesterday.

The new album? Aside from the title track, I wouldn't rush to buy it. It was supposed to be out by now, and he said it was 'some sort of **** up' that had prevented it from being released by the time of the gig yesterday.

I've heard that title track a few times on the radio and I have to say, as much of a fan as I am of David's / Pink Floyd's earlier material, that I am distinctly unimpressed by it. It's not awful, but it's just so bland and mediocre that it's instantly forgettable. If the rest of the album is no better then I don't think I'll bother with it.

I've heard that title track a few times on the radio and I have to say, as much of a fan as I am of David's / Pink Floyd's earlier material, that I am distinctly unimpressed by it. It's not awful, but it's just so bland and mediocre that it's instantly forgettable. If the rest of the album is no better then I don't think I'll bother with it.

It's okay, but definitely not his best. On an Island was a better album, I can say that for certain. 'Today' seems alright too but there's also a very jazzy track that I instantly turned my nose up, 'woman in the yellow dress', or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

The new album is a grower.

I've listened to it a fair bit over the last few days and each time I like it a bit more.

The jazz track is just a chance for Dave to show off his saxophone skills (if he's playing it)

The opening track is pure PF

I bought the deluxe edition but haven't watched the Blu Ray yet so can't comment on that.