Milk Cup

doddisalegend

I see Saints have their under 15 boys competing in this years Milk cup junior section, over in Ireland, not much info but the boys won their first game

Zacatepec 0-3 Southampton

and they have more fixtures coming up

Southampton v Co. Londonderry (today)

Southampton v OC Blues (tomorrow)

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/football-dale-farm-milk-cup-results-fixtures-1-6870344

Interesting to see how the boys do might even be one or two future first team players in the under15s.

Crikey that takes me back. Big milk bottle on the centre spot at the dell pre kick off.

I remember the Milk marketing board giving out free cartons at matches, which in turn became milk bombs as the Milton end pelted them back at the vendors. Happy Days!!

I think they do this every year, I may be wrong.

I am not aware of an entry from a Saints team before now which has always surprised me because as a youth tournament it is a big deal. It usually includes teams from Europe and South America and elsewhere the world competing.

http://dalefarmmilkcup.com/junior-section.html

I see that the Saints game v Londonderry was played at the Anderson Park - a venue I attended many times in my youth!

I think they do this every year, I may be wrong.

I am not aware of an entry from a Saints team before now which has always surprised me because as a youth tournament it is a big deal. It usually includes teams from Europe and South America and elsewhere in the world competing.

http://dalefarmmilkcup.com/junior-section.html

I see that the Saints game v Londonderry was played at the Anderson Park - a venue I attended many times in my youth!

Anyone seen any video of these matches? I'd love to show him how the top level boys his age play. I still see a lot of ball watching, slowness of thought, lack of awareness of team mates, inability to use wrong foot, lack of fitness, lack of sense of urgency or canniness when protecting a lead. Wonder how the top level kids compare.

(I was chuffed with him this weekend as he showed quickness of thought and hunger to head a goal from a corner against much bigger defenders!).

Anyone seen any video of these matches? I'd love to show him how the top level boys his age play. I still see a lot of ball watching, slowness of thought, lack of awareness of team mates, inability to use wrong foot, lack of fitness, lack of sense of urgency or canniness when protecting a lead. Wonder how the top level kids compare.

(I was chuffed with him this weekend as he showed quickness of thought and hunger to head a goal from a corner against much bigger defenders!).

My brother is southamptons academy the level of football is a pretty high standard at all age groups that I've seen, most the players are extremely comfortable in possession but lack the physical attributes of over academies. West Ham for example have a few players probably not far of 6 foot at under 12 level. Only things are fitness normally at the beginning of the season as the kids have the summer holidays off and the communication in defence is often quite poor. Most of this I'm judging from under 12 academy football which is 8 (maybe 7) aside next year my brothers age group will be playing 11 aside. But I have also seen games from older age groups while at staplewood or on a iPad Southampton FC give all academy players as like a player journal with videos of matches and various other things on.

See post 7 doctoroncall has post a video link to some games

Wow ��

Edited by Monk

The Brentford score is final and Right to Dream drew 0-0 with Co Armagh.

That leaves Saints comfortably through to the semi final tomorrow and currently top of the table. The only team which can catch them is Rangers, who would need to beat AS Roma-USA in their 6pm match by more than 4 goals to overtake Saints.

Well done lads!

Milk Cup: Saints beat Liverpool in Coleraine semi-final

Southampton defeat Liverpool to set up a Milk Cup Junior final against Right to Dream while Co Antrim face CSKA Moscow in the Premier decider.

The Saints impressed in a 3-1 win over Liverpool at the Coleraine Showgrounds, with Jake Vokins bagging a double.

Ghanaian side Right to Dream beat Co Antrim 2-0 in the other Junior semi.

Co Antrim fared better in the Premier semi-finals, overcoming Real Sociedad 2-0 while Club America beat CSKA Moscow on penalties after a scoreless draw.

Matthew Shevlin scored both goals as Co Antrim defeated Real Sociedad at the Riada Stadium in Ballymoney.

Shevlin met Ryan Nimick's cut back to fire in a second-half opener and he added the second just over a minute later.

A classy run and finish saw Shevlin slot past keeper Inaki Auzmendi with a composed finish.

Mexican team Club America won their penalty shoot-out 5-3 against CSKA Moscow in Limavady.

An own goal from Andrew Jackson put Southampton ahead against Liverpool and it was 2-0 at half-time thanks to Jonathan Afalabi's bullet header from a corner.

Jake Vokins drilled past keeper Louie Molden to make it 3-0 before Neco Williams netted for the Anfield lads from a goalmouth scramble.

Right to Dream defeated Co Antrim in Portstewart and they will face the Saints in Friday night's final at the Ballymena Showgrounds.

7-0 now, 2 goals in last minute, 30 seconds left. Saints team rather hit by injuries.

Still, they were runners-up, so well done to the kids.

Yep until tonight they'd won every game. Apparently the RTD boys have been hovering up tournament wins all over Europe this summer so the boys probably shouldn't feel to bad about losing to them.