Lambert Joins West Brom

david in sweden

Rickie Lambert is certainly on the move "somewhere " but another one of those newspaper "scoops" is suggesting he maybe a target.... for Spurs!:scared:

Well... few people on here begrudged him the move back to Liverpool, and he had his season...or a lot of sub-appearances anyway,

but a move to Spurs?. Think about it Rickie, it's the one club that many Saints fans " love to hate" ...I'm sure that some of them would never forgive you.

A move there now, would be almost as bad as it was years ago, when some old Saints players moved down the M27 .......:eek:

He'll be a liability by now, was creaking around the place even in 2013. I can't see him leaving Liverpool unless someone offers him a daft wage hike, to be honest.

How disrespectful. The guy is a legend. He should be playing regularly to stop himself siezing up (I know from experience). He has to go wherever he gets an offer to play. And if I had my way it would be back at St Mary's, covering Pelle, and playing in some cup games. If he goes to Spurs, then good luck to him. He is a player who should be playing.

Lambert was a massive disruptive influence off the pitch after West Ham tapped him up in the January before he left and Saints blocked his big payday. The club were glad to see the back of him and Liverpool gave them an easy out without upsetting the fans. There's no way he's coming back here even if his form was good but he's finished now unfortunately.

How disrespectful. The guy is a legend. He should be playing regularly to stop himself siezing up (I know from experience). He has to go wherever he gets an offer to play. And if I had my way it would be back at St Mary's, covering Pelle, and playing in some cup games. If he goes to Spurs, then good luck to him. He is a player who should be playing.

Sentimental twaddle. The guy's legs had gone towards the end of 13/14 and I was completely unsurprised to see him fail to add anything to Liverpool.

Rather sad as he became a bit of a laughing stock for fans of Everton, Manchester United and the more self-deprecating Liverpool fans. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the reality.

Lambert was a massive disruptive influence off the pitch after West Ham tapped him up in the January before he left and Saints blocked his big payday. The club were glad to see the back of him and Liverpool gave them an easy out without upsetting the fans. There's no way he's coming back here even if his form was good but he's finished now unfortunately.

What are you talking about? Cortese wanted shot of him.

Le Tiss is a legend too, I wouldn't want him playing for us now, and saying that isn't disrespectful either.

This sounds like bo11ocks, 28_F. Of those that left, I'd expect Lambert to be the least disruptive. Also, West Ham didn't tap him up, everything I've heard says we offered him to them and he didn't want to go.

Sentimental twaddle. The guy's legs had gone towards the end of 13/14 and I was completely unsurprised to see him fail to add anything to Liverpool.

Rather sad as he became a bit of a laughing stock for fans of Everton, Manchester United and the more self-deprecating Liverpool fans. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the reality.

Agree with the bit in bold, haven't heard anything of the sort re: the rest and I know a fair few Everton fans. Now taking the p155 out of the bloke who signed him, fair game.

Yeah alright mate, of course.

Bit of perspective required here. Highly unlikely that Spurs are after him, but if they were, given his situation at Liverpool, he'd be an idiot not to make the move and shouldn't be worrying about what we think (nor will he be).

And there's no reason for us to take any offence at that either.

it isn't like he pushed a move through to Spurs direct from us by refusing to play for us - he got a dream move to Liverpool and left us pretty much on a high, it didn't work out, and if he got the chance to go and play at Spurs at his age, with a manager who knows and rates him, he should take it.

It certainly won't make me think anything less of him - he was superb for us, the right man to lift us just when we needed it, and also gave me one of my favourite England with that Scotland goal too. What a moment.

WBA seems much more likely as a destination anyway doesnt it, hasnt Pulis been talking about him?

As a former Saints' player our interest in what Rickie does with the dog days of his career ended when his contract ended. The years when you could rely on him to score in almost every game were fantastic, and it was incredible that he kept raising his game from L1 through to the Prem and even into the England squad but all of that is now history. When he was sold to Liverpool, it did seem to open the floodgates that allowed the other defectors to leave but in retrospect it now looks like good business to have got £4m for a player who was struggling to keep a place in the Saints' team and who would only get a place on the bench at his new club.

If he does leave Liverpool common sense says he should make a move that gives him the most money as his time is running out, but I can't see that it matters at all to Saints' fans, where he goes.

He'll be a liability by now, was creaking around the place even in 2013. I can't see him leaving Liverpool unless someone offers him a daft wage hike, to be honest.

Bet let Tony Pulis know he thinks Rickie is like a brand new Jag

We would be interested,” he said. “I think it is very, very important we get players who score goals and Rickie has a great goal-scoring record. From what I can gather from people at Liverpool, his fitness levels are very, very good and he is desperate to play football.

“He didn’t play last year so it would be like bringing a brand new car out of the garage if you did sign him, just putting a bit of petrol in him and letting him run.”

Sounds libellous.

Also libellous.

I'm not sure some of you are remembering properly. He appears on the legends banner for good reason. One of the top 10 players I have seen play for us in the 50 years I have watched us.

Are some of you teenagers? You don't seem to recall anything more than two years ago or certainly have respect for it.

LOL yes he was so disruptive they let him have a big goodbye on the O/S (compare that with Adams leaving statement) and then invited him back with Gareth Bale to do a video on how great saints are....

It's not libellous at all. Alleging that he sold enriched uranium to the Syrian government would be libellous, not questioning his attitude as a footballer.

Lambert has gone, we got the best years out of him and his form last season was as much him being past it as it was Liverpool not utilising him properly.

Saints, Spurs and Liverpool are all well above his level now. If he moves on it will be to a team in the bottom half.

It's not libellous at all. Alleging that he sold enriched uranium to the Syrian government would be libellous, not questioning his attitude as a footballer.

Lambert has gone, we got the best years out of him and his form last season was as much him being past it as it was Liverpool not utilising him properly.

Saints, Spurs and Liverpool are all well above his level now. If he moves on it will be to a team in the bottom half.

This ^ .........was and still is a legend for us..........but time moves on

We would be interested,” he said. “I think it is very, very important we get players who score goals and Rickie has a great goal-scoring record. From what I can gather from people at Liverpool, his fitness levels are very, very good and he is desperate to play football.

“He didn’t play last year so it would be like bringing a brand new car out of the garage if you did sign him, just putting a bit of petrol in him and letting him run.”

If Pulis wants to find out he can't run any more I don't mind...

Also libellous.

I'm not sure some of you are remembering properly. He appears on the legends banner for good reason. One of the top 10 players I have seen play for us in the 50 years I have watched us.

Are some of you teenagers? You don't seem to recall anything more than two years ago or certainly have respect for it.

Top 10 players? Really? How bad have we been in that time? We had about 6 better just last season alone. :o

In 2013/14 Rickie Lambert was one of only 15 players in the top five European leagues in 2013-14 to both score & assist 10+ goals.

He had a combined goal and assists of around 23 level with Aguero and only below a few others with 10+ assists.n goals in the Premier League, but yeah think what you want.

Wherever he goes, I hope he hurries up because I need to free up a space in my ex-Saints fantasy football squad. There are four at Liverpool now, but I can only have three. I need Lambert because we only have him and Crouch representing the strikers, so I've got to cut either Clyne, Lovren or Lallana. If Ricky leaves, problem solved. :)

Rickie Lambert is certainly on the move "somewhere " but another one of those newspaper "scoops" is suggesting he maybe a target.... for Spurs!:scared:

Well... few people on here begrudged him the move back to Liverpool, and he had his season...or a lot of sub-appearances anyway,

but a move to Spurs?. Think about it Rickie, it's the one club that many Saints fans " love to hate" ...I'm sure that some of them would never forgive you.

A move there now, would be almost as bad as it was years ago, when some old Saints players moved down the M27 .......:eek:

The best thing about this post is it's the first time I've seen you construct a post without the random and unnecessary words highlighted bold and italics. I like the new you

Just like signing Brian McBride for Saints in FM2007, I reckon Lambert has one more good season in him, because although his legs are going, he'll be determined to prove doubters wrong and he still has the footballing brain that scored and assisted so many goals for us while leading the line. Not for us, unfortunately for him we now have better options, but for a side potentially fighting relegation his experience could be invaluable. I wish him the best.

I can't see that he'd be too disappointed at how his Liverpool stint turned out, he got to play and score for his boyhood idols, and most likely achieved a fair chunk of money doing it.

Spurs though? Depends if he wants one last big pay day or potentially 2 seasons more of regular game time. I can't see it happening. WBA in a Pulis side would be a decent choice for him!

The man should really consider not going there in order to not upset people he doesn't know who are customers of a previous employer??????

Most asinine thing I have read on here for a long time.

Liverpool move = heart over head. This one, I would hope/presume head over heart.

If he goes to Spurs to be with Pochettino it will be the same stupidity again - going to be with a manager he likes so much.

If he really wants to get the most out of the twilight years of his career, and looking at who is enquiring, hes definitely better off with Pulis and WBA.

If he goes to Spurs to be with Pochettino it will be the same stupidity again - going to be with a manager he likes so much.

If he really wants to get the most out of the twilight years of his career, and looking at who is enquiring, hes definitely better off with Pulis and WBA.

...which was my thought exactly. I don't think anyone begrudged Rickie his move to Liverpool - at least he got to play in the red shirt, and many were pleased for him.

But Spurs are not my favourite team, and Pochettino's desertion and Toby's choice (though financially attractive) hasn't endeared them to many fans, and the thought of Rickie (perhaps) coming to SMS and scoring the winner would only rub salt in the wound.

Liverpool move = heart over head. This one, I would hope/presume head over heart.

His heart would have said go. His head would have also said go.

Give him that choice 100 times again and he'd make the same choice 100 times.

Lambert had put his house on the market when he thought he was going to West Ham, a move that was blocked by Saints. Lambert then threw his toys around until his agent told him Rodgers had enquired. That is exactly what happened.

The best thing about this post is it's the first time I've seen you construct a post without the random and unnecessary words highlighted bold and italics.

I like the new you

Thanks for the compliment, but I can't guarantee anything in the future. Old habits die hard, y'know.:lol:

Agree with that much, Lighthouse.

The real villain of the piece must be Brendan Rodgers who failed to recognise that the relative success of Lallana and Lambert was that ...

..........they played together in the team at the same time ....and weren't a substitute for each other.

Saints rarely looked quite so good when one or other of them was out of the side. Still that's Liverpool's problem now - not ours.

It's just a bid sad for Rickie, who didn't become a bad player during the 2014 summer holidays, and now doesn't have a whole lot more left to offer at Prem. level.

Rickie did look tired at times in his last season with us but he'd be a great player to have back as back up to Pelle! Just imagine the reception he'd get! I can dream :(

Liverpool thought he would be a great player to have as back up to Sturridge and Balotelli but he wasn't. He would probably get a decent round of applause the first time he came off the bench. After a couple of weeks of forgettable sub appearance the novelty would largely have worn off.

As dreams go, this one is on par with my dream about washing my socks and forgetting to use fabric conditioner.

Liverpool thought he would be a great player to have as back up to Sturridge and Balotelli but he wasn't. He would probably get a decent round of applause the first time he came off the bench. After a couple of weeks of forgettable sub appearance the novelty would largely have worn off.

As dreams go, this one is on par with my dream about washing my socks and forgetting to use fabric conditioner.

Did Rickie score at Anfield? That was his dream wasn't it?

“He didn’t play last year so it would be like bringing a brand new car out of the garage if you did sign him, just putting a bit of petrol in him and letting him run"

For brand new read 33 years old and a lot of not very careful owners