Lambert Joins West Brom

david in sweden

All those bemoaning how Rickie's legs of gone etc would have probably been the same crowd who wrote off Sherringham at a similar age. His game has never been based around speed. He has excellent control, positional awareness and brings the best out of the players who join him in the attacks. Add in a pretty spectacular penalty record and he is good value at £3m.

Wouldn't like to bet who'll bag more this season between him and Pelle.

I wish people would stop comparing him to Sherringham. Why not compare him to James Beattie? He was also a decent midtable striker, who never relied on pace. Couldn't get a goal for love nor money by the time he was Lambert's age.

Robbie Fowler, Grant Holt, Andy Cole, Van Nistelrooy?

I wish people would stop comparing him to Sherringham. Why not compare him to James Beattie? He was also a decent midtable striker, who never relied on pace. Couldn't get a goal for love nor money by the time he was Lambert's age.

Anyone who thinks lambert is in the same class as sheringham is deluded .

How about that for answering his critics!

2 goals in a preseason friendly against League 2 opposition?

Never said Lambert is in the same class, just that his game will not be affected as much my advancing age in a similar way to Sherringham.

The point is everyone has declined well below their best by that age. Sheringham was decent but not the same player who was banging them in for Spurs and England in the mid 90s.

Anyone who thinks lambert is in the same class as sheringham is deluded .

Why? Do I think Saints could beat Barcelona, Real or B Munich? No.... but are Saints the best club in the World, yes! I dont think people think he is the best player to ever play the game, but they do love him, as do I. (Oh, and for the record, I do think he is as good as Teddy).

Why? Do I think Saints could beat Barcelona, Real or B Munich? No.... but are Saints the best club in the World, yes! I dont think people think he is the best player to ever play the game, but they do love him, as do I. (Oh, and for the record, I do think he is as good as Teddy).

Teddy signed by Brian Clough & sir Alex , won the champions league , FA cup , league titles and played in the top flight most of his career , winning over 50 caps , is on a par with a bloke who played in the lower leagues nearly all his life & won **** all and a handful of caps . I hope you don't embarrass yourself in front of neutrals with your theory .

Teddy signed by Brian Clough & sir Alex , won the champions league , FA cup , league titles and played in the top flight most of his career , winning over 50 caps , is on a par with a bloke who played in the lower leagues nearly all his life & won **** all and a handful of caps . I hope you don't embarrass yourself in front of neutrals with your theory .

Dont you have anything better to do on a Friday night?

I see; why even bother to score against such mediocre opposition? What's the point? Maybe he should have even refused to play against such a ****ty team.

:rolleyes:

You can be flippant all you want, scoring in a friendly against a team which was non-league last year doesn't prove anything.

Well according to that Sheringham was much better than MLT.

Or might Sheringham's 'success' actually be the success of the teams he played for?

Lambert was a massive disruptive influence off the pitch after West Ham tapped him up in the January before he left and Saints blocked his big payday. The club were glad to see the back of him and Liverpool gave them an easy out without upsetting the fans. There's no way he's coming back here even if his form was good but he's finished now unfortunately.

This is an interesting post and ties in with something that I heard. I think Rick is a legend. What he did for us was absolutely amazing and I'll always love the guy for it. But someone (who was in the first team squad at the time) did tell me and few of my mates in a bar - fairly boozed up in Spain - that he and the other players couldn't for the life of them work out why Lambert was loved so much by our fans and Lallana was almost completely hated after their departure.

Reading between the lines, both wanted out and behaved in the same (spitting dummy) way. But because the club were so desperate to keep lallana they dragged their heels a lot more making the whole thing seem a lot messier. Not sure Rickie was the patron saint a lot of fans like to think...

Wherever he goes, I hope he hurries up because I need to free up a space in my ex-Saints fantasy football squad.....

I had one of those when we were in the championship &. League one. I was spoilt for choice with attacking midfield and strikers, but really struggled for decent defenders and a keeper. Kind of tells the tale of why we went down in 05. Kind of given up on it now as it always feels wrong celebrating any goals scored against Saints.

So Matty wasn't as good as Sheringham? Was Matty better than Vladimir Smicer? He won the Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup, Super Cup and UEFA Cup with Liverpool, but not sure I'd have him above MLT...or Lambert for that matter.

Liverpool thought he would be a great player to have as back up to Sturridge and Balotelli but he wasn't. He would probably get a decent round of applause the first time he came off the bench. After a couple of weeks of forgettable sub appearance the novelty would largely have worn off.

As dreams go, this one is on par with my dream about washing my socks and forgetting to use fabric conditioner.

He barely got a chance at Liverpool. He'd get a lot more football with us especially as we're in Europe as well. He would've been a great addition.

Sky have posted up a clip of Rickie for West Brom, looked back to his old self. Great to see him scoring goals, smiling and being appreciated by the fans. Whether people wanted him back or not he was such an amazing part of our journey and it is brilliant that his career might have another chapter!

I don't know what RL behaviour was like as he was leaving Saints but the former kit an is a mate and he said that RL was class always at the club.

The way he acts in public shows class, and if he doesn't in the club he is a fantastic actor.

A decent human being IMO and I will always wish him well

This is an interesting post and ties in with something that I heard. I think Rick is a legend. What he did for us was absolutely amazing and I'll always love the guy for it. But someone (who was in the first team squad at the time) did tell me and few of my mates in a bar - fairly boozed up in Spain - that he and the other players couldn't for the life of them work out why Lambert was loved so much by our fans and Lallana was almost completely hated after their departure.

Reading between the lines, both wanted out and behaved in the same (spitting dummy) way. But because the club were so desperate to keep lallana they dragged their heels a lot more making the whole thing seem a lot messier. Not sure Rickie was the patron saint a lot of fans like to think...

Utter rubbish in my opinion. If this was the case, how come the club gave Rickie such a glowing tribute when he left and Lallana the complete opposite? I've no idea what happened with the West Ham move but from my own eyes watching Saints, I know Rickie continued to give his all for Saints right up to when he eventually left to join his boyhood club. It's a shame a few on here seem determined to try and taint his time at Saints with unsubstantiated rumour.

Anyway, will be good to see Lambert back in action more in the Prem this season and the vast majority of Saints fans will wish him well.

I don't know what RL behaviour was like as he was leaving Saints but the former kit an is a mate and he said that RL was class always at the club.

The way he acts in public shows class, and if he doesn't in the club he is a fantastic actor.

A decent human being IMO and I will always wish him well

Not to mention the clip from the video about the club after he left.

Because it's pretty obvious to most sane people that Lambert has more in common with Sheringham than any of those other players you mention. I don't get why some people on here have to be such idiots about this sort of thing and quite why it brings out such levels of passion is beyond me.

For the record I think there are many similarities between RL and TS. Both not blessed with pace, good in the air, good with a dead ball at free kicks, good football intelligence and vision, good first touch and great passing. Great all round team players rather than pure goal scorers. Was Rickie's top level the same as Teddy's? No, but probably not as far off as some would have us believe. Did Teddy play at a higher level and for longer? Yes to both. Maybe if Rickie had knuckled down earlier in his career or been 2-3 years younger when he joined us he might have reached similar levels, who knows? Do the answers to those last two questions prohibit us making favourable comparisons between the two? Of course not.

How many of you have watched your kids play football on a Sunday and said 'That kid's like a little (insert top level player of your choice)'? Probably every single one of us. Does that mean we think they are as good a player? Of course not. Does it even mean we think they will ever attain such a level? Same answer again.

By all means have an opinion, just try not to be such a **** about it.*

*Sorry Lighthouse, that last bit isn't necessarily aimed at you.

Lambert was a massive disruptive influence off the pitch after West Ham tapped him up in the January before he left and Saints blocked his big payday. The club were glad to see the back of him and Liverpool gave them an easy out without upsetting the fans. There's no way he's coming back here even if his form was good but he's finished now unfortunately.

My word, you can tell the School holidays have started. This must be why Lambert was invited back to say goodbye to anyone he had missed during his move, and he has been invited back to contribute to saints media. And received a glowing tribute from all at the club upon his exit, and praise for his professionalism.

Why do people bother writing this stuff?

My word, you can tell the School holidays have started. This must be why Lambert was invited back to say goodbye to anyone he had missed during his move, and he has been invited back to contribute to saints media. And received a glowing tribute from all at the club upon his exit, and praise for his professionalism.

Fortunately Guan I think that most right-minded people realise it is total b*ll*cks and appreciate Rickie for the great player and ambassador he was for the club. Sadly it didn't work out for him at Liverpool where he was wasted but I wish him well at WBA and am sure he will find himself appreciated there.

Let's just say that 'Carlos' has an interesting posting history.... ;)

Any update on the transfer news you thought you might have had yesterday Guan? Cheers

Harsh. We owe him a decent reception whenever he returns.

I'd give him a good reception because I like the bloke, but we really don't owe him a thing, we made him a millionaire, an England international and gave him the chance to play for his childhood club. Be nice if he does well at West Brom to make Rodgers look like even more of a mug, but I can't see it happening because as others have said his legs went years ago.

I know its like when people tease you they'll have transfer news when they don't ;)

Lambert did well for us but I don't know why we keep on keeping on about him. He's gone and his career is near the end, he isn't of value to us any more. We don't keep on about Ox or Shaw and it would be good if their futures were with us not with our rivals. And yes, love him or not, it was Lambert who began the exodus.

Lambert did well for us but I don't know why we keep on keeping on about him. He's gone and his career is near the end, he isn't of value to us any more. We don't keep on about Ox or Shaw and it would be good if their futures were with us not with our rivals. And yes, love him or not, it was Lambert who began the exodus.

Id suggest it was Pochettino who led the exodus.

There isn't much in that but Lambert was a much better player for us than Pelle is now.

Pelle scored more goals for us from open play last season than Lambert did in either of his seasons in the Premiership with us.

Pelle would also have scored just as many in the Championship and lower leagues as Lambert.

Fans of other clubs, without the sentimentality that our lot have, were constantly telling me that they thought Pelle > Lambert was a huge improvement to our squad from season-before-last to last season.

He might not be of value to us anymore but his goals got us where we are now and there are many fans who will never forget his contribution to our journey, even if there are some who seem to want to tarnish his good name.

Pelle scored more goals for us from open play last season than Lambert did in either of his seasons in the Premiership with us.

Pelle would also have scored just as many in the Championship and lower leagues as Lambert.

Fans of other clubs, without the sentimentality that our lot have, were constantly telling me that they thought Pelle > Lambert was a huge improvement to our squad from season-before-last to last season.

Yes, fans of other clubs who hardly saw Lambert play...idiot

Pelle has scored 102 competitive club goals in his senior career since 2003 most in the Dutch league (not that high a standard). Lambert scored a 114 in just 5 years at saints. Lambert has also scored a club career total of 236 goals (though admittedly he has had a senior career threes years longer than Pelle's). That would suggest Lambert is the better CF to me over their respective careers although as they've played mostly in different leagues it's hard to compare. I think assists would be an interesting stat to compare between the two players from my recollection Lambert was normally one of, if not our, highest assister in many of his seasons here not sure Pelle gets many assists.

Having typed all that Pelle vs Lambert comparisons are a bit of a pointless argument.

So would I, but many on here seem to want to wash the great man from the history books or taint him forever. All of which is a disgrace.

A disgrace, yep that is exactly what it is. Rickie is a Saints hero and he always will be, whoever he plays for. If people do not have the good grace to appreciate what he did for us then I feel sorry for them.

A disgrace, yep that is exactly what it is. Rickie is a Saints hero and he always will be, whoever he plays for. If people do not have the good grace to appreciate what he did for us then I feel sorry for them.

Do you understand the difference between respecting the guy and wanting him to play for us . Terry Paine is a legend but I wouldn't want him in the side on Thursday .

Sky have posted up a clip of Rickie for West Brom, looked back to his old self. Great to see him scoring goals, smiling and being appreciated by the fans. Whether people wanted him back or not he was such an amazing part of our journey and it is brilliant that his career might have another chapter!

Yes they did and I filmed it :) He wasn't supposed to start and I was given instructions to try and get a shot of him, in the stands/directors box. Then told he's starting. For any any doubters he looked pin sharp and linked up well with Berahinho in a slightly withdrawn role. Physically good. He also got a great reception from Rovers fans, understandably. And you get the feeling Brom fans realised what a great signing they have. I have no idea what happened at Saints, I cover the south west and Wales for Sky, but he signed every autograph and seemed like a really nice guy.

I'd give him a good reception because I like the bloke, but we really don't owe him a thing, we made him a millionaire, an England international and gave him the chance to play for his childhood club. Be nice if he does well at West Brom to make Rodgers look like even more of a mug, but I can't see it happening because as others have said his legs went years ago.

This ^^^^