Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Vitesse Arnhem - Europa League R3

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)  

397 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)

• Stekelenburg
    • Targett
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Clasie
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Mané
    • Tadic
    • Pellè
    • Juanmi
    • Long
    • Reed

The result flatters us a bit. If they could finish the score could be very different.

Clasie looks far to lightweight and injured himself making his one and only tackle.

I don't see how he will fit in the Premier League.

Pelle got a little lucky with his goal as the ball sat up just perfect as he hit it. Otherwise he had poor touch and didn't really contribute.

Mane was the best player on the park and is our Nr 10.

Tadic falls down to easily and moans to much.

Targett, Cedric, Wanyama, Fonte, Davis, Mane, Stekelen were all excellent tonight.

Mayo needs to learn how to get rid of the ball. Too many times he cleared to dangerous Positions.

Nice to be back at SMS and up against a very accommodating opponent.

My ratings:

Stek - 7 - only called upon once but made a good save. Excellent kicking. Potentially at least as good as Forster IMO

Soares - 7 - some excellent forward runs. Don't know if he can defend but if he can he will be excellent.

Yoshida - 6 - poor ball out led to their only chance in the second half but other than that, solid.

Fonte - 6 - as per Yoshida but his poor ball in the first half didn't lead to anything.

Targett - 6 - very solid and got clobbered a couple of times. Ref didn't seem to like him much!

Wanyama - 8 - dominant. Won loads of duels. Typical display.

Classie - 5 - pretty poor in possession to be honest but he has been through a whirlwind week or so and could probably do with a bit of time to acclimitise without too much pressure. If it's a minor injury it could be a blessing in disguise.

Davis - 6 - lots of good endeavour and did a job in a number of roles.

Tadic - 7 - looks sharper and fitter. Good game.

Mane - 9 - too good for them but, probably, too good for us. A £30million player.

Pelle - 4 - absolutely awful for 90 minutes of the match but stuck it away when it counted.

Long - 7 - such a nuisance to play against. Effective.

Juanmi - 7 - looks technically very good and great composure to set Long up. Looks an absolute bargain.

Reed n/a - not on long enough.

Good first half, poor second half.

Wanyama MOTM, couldn't help but think Yoshida and Targett were the weak spots, especially in the second half.

Good to be back at St. Mary's and a very enjoyable atmosphere for the majority of the game.

Let's finish the job next week!

Good game that, love the buzz of the first game back after the close season! Was tonight an *official* Europa League game or not, noticed there were no arm patches, plain backed shirts or goal line officials as per normal, do they only come in for the Europa proper?

we got some nice clean new nets too, preferred the red and white ones I must admit, adds to the identity of the stadium.

The result flatters us a bit. If they could finish the score could be very different.

Clasie looks far to lightweight and injured himself making his one and only tackle.

Pelle got a little lucky with his goal as the ball sat up just perfect as he hit it. Otherwise he had poor touch and didn't really contribute.

Targett, Cedric, Wanyama, Fonte, Davis, Mane, Stekelen were all excellent tonight.

Mayo needs to learn how to get rid of the ball. Too many times he cleared to dangerous Positions.

yep if both sides had scored all their attempts on target it would have finished 7-1 to the saints:D

Good first half, poor second half.

Wanyama MOTM, couldn't help but think Yoshida and Targett were the weak spots, especially in the second half.

Good to be back at St. Mary's and a very enjoyable atmosphere for the majority of the game.

Let's finish the job next week!

Both were solid Maya didn't put a foot wrong all night

Both were solid Maya didn't put a foot wrong all night

Maya cleared the ball right to them on the edge of our box a couple of times when Stekelenberg was telling him to put the ball out of play

Also, how on earth didn't we score early in the 1st half. Didn't maya slice it wide pretty close out?

Just realised how much of a **** I look thinking this was serious.. my bad

You were the 4th person to take his post seriously and reply in quote to it. At least you realised 2 mins later... :)

Slightly uneven performance with a great result! First win in Europe since before I was born. And to stop the rampant speculation, my 'unusual visitor' remark was in reference to Roy 'Poacher' Hodgson : )

We didn't give him anyone to watch apart from Targett and a quick cameo from Reed, what a shame. Not.

In the build up to this game, after watching a full 90 mins of Clasie playing for Feyenoord and his performances for us, I said I'd start Reed (a fit, up to prem speed DM) instead of Clasie against Vitesse. A few criticised me. No-one agreed. Anyone care to comment now? I'm not saying he can't or won't reach the prem fitness level and there is no doubting his talent, but he's way off the pace at the moment.

I thought both full backs were very good.

Mane is on a different level though. We should enjoy him while he's still here because he'll be at a massive club in the not too distant future.

Mane? The player that was the worst player we've had since Ali Dia? The player who should f*ck off back to Salzburg? The player who is utterly sh*t? That Mane??

Mane? The player that was the worst player we've had since Ali Dia? The player who should f*ck off back to Salzburg? The player who is utterly sh*t? That Mane??

That's the one.

I noticed we haven't forgot to loudly groan when a player slightly misplaces a pass. Good work Saints fans, stay classy.

Big Vic shone tonight, absolute beast! Thought Davis, Yoshi, Fonte and Targett had solid games, Pelle had a great 1st half and Mane was unplayable for 60mins. Soares looked strong in attack, but I hope someone's ready to cover for him! Clasie had a bit of a mare, Vic pretty much got to everything, really covered some ground. Give all the new guys time though and I think they'll come good. For 40mins of that first half, we'd equal last season no problem, and its only July! Game on!!

I'm quite surprised how negative this thread is. We played some good football tonight, where comfortably in control (in the main) and scored three goals. Yes it wasn't a perfect performance but we had several new players out there tonight and it was the first competitive match of the season. Once the new players get their bearings and the Koeman brothers have tightened up the early season slackness I reckon the signs are promising for another good season. Personally really enjoyed tonight's game.

Also a shout out to the Vitesse Fans apart from a quiet spell either side of half time, after going two goals down, I thought they were excellent (and noisy) in supporting their team.

In the build up to this game, after watching a full 90 mins of Clasie playing for Feyenoord and his performances for us, I said I'd start Reed (a fit, up to prem speed DM) instead of Clasie against Vitesse. A few criticised me. No-one agreed. Anyone care to comment now? I'm not saying he can't or won't reach the prem fitness level and there is no doubting his talent, but he's way off the pace at the moment.

Only one way to get him on pace - game time. So against weaker opposition made sense to play him we did actually win 3-0 you now.

I agree with the other posts that give Wanyama MoTM. I thought he was superb, absolutely bossed the midfield. Mane must be a nightmare to play against, great to watch. Enjoyed tonight. I can't see us slipping up from 3-0 up although a nice early goal would be good to settle any lingering nerves.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I get where you're coming from and part of me thinks we'd be more solid with Reed in there instead of Davis. But the only way Clasie is going to get up to speed is by playing. Annoyingly I felt he was just growing into the game when he picked up his injury.

I basically disagree with all this apart from the last two paragraphs and Clasie looking lightweight, but he'll improve once he's got his bearings and our scientists on him.

Reed is completely the wrong kind of player for matches when you get a yellow for just thinking about tackling for a start. As for dropping Clasie after one match, that seems both stupid and expensive. He's going to get plenty of game time to get him up to speed, which he isn't yet. He was good enough away in Rotterdam last week to suggest he's got something, but he's got some big boots to fill.

Boring first half and a gripping 2nd one.

Wanyama was shocking while Claisie was class.

Thought our new Dutch keeper was poor while the ref did not let the game flow at all.

Oh, and it was great to see Hodgson back at St Mary's again.

????? :?

Very enjoyable night. Great performance from the Vitesse fans. A foreign team playing at Southampton and fielding more Englishmen than we did. Who would have thought it? Some good early season performances. Just a word in defence of Clasie. He is at least two weeks training behind the rest of the team, but tonight although he did not get a chance to get his passing game going he did show his positional play covering a lot of gaps and frequently forcing the opposition into blind alleys or diverting them straight into big Vic. If the season continues like this it is going to be a great journey.

Just a word about Davis -

He was excellent when playing further forward, but worries me as a back-up for DM. He quite often gets caught on the ball or is too weak in the challenge - see the Stekelenburg save as a prime example. I think he's an excellent player but we need to avoid playing him in DM at all costs.

Not long back, but a great result. Thought Targett was good with some intelligent play. Clasie a little wayward with passing at times and Mane excellent. A couple of time they nearly got an away goal (2 minutes in, and then at 2-0) that would have made a massive difference to the tie, but 3-0 should be more than enough. Big Vic cleaned up nicely and the away support deserve a mention - brilliant stuff and lets hope they got a good journey home.

Not quite PL standard tonight though, but good enough.....

3-0 and very encouraging for the season. These are great games to get out sharpness back.

Pellè's goal was a beauty, hammered in. Had to laugh at the bloke just sitting there wolfing his burger while Pellè celebrated right in front of him.

Mané was immense.