Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Vitesse Arnhem - Europa League R3

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)  

397 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)

• Stekelenburg
    • Targett
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Clasie
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Mané
    • Tadic
    • Pellè
    • Juanmi
    • Long
    • Reed

Saints head to Arnhem with a three-goal lead thanks to Graziano Pellè, Dušan Tadić and Shane Long.

Thought Cédric, Wanyama and Mané were our stand-out performers tonight. :smug:

Should be fairly relaxed heading out to Arnhem. Opportunity for a good day/night out. :)

Over to you...

We lost our shape a bit when Claisie and Tadic went off, but we always looked to have a very limited Vitesse side contained.

Peach of a finish from Pelle

Finally a good penalty taken by Tadic

Delightful little chip from Juanmi to Long for the 3rd, after Long had done his trademark charge through the defence to create panic that he does so well.

Cedric looks a more than capable replacement for Clyne.

Lots of positives to take from that. I can't really see Vitesse turning that scoreline over in the away leg so we should be comfortably through to the group stage.

We march on!

Pinch me :)

Saucy!

Not necessarily the performance I'd hoped for, will take a while to settle in. But you can't argue with the result. I think we're not quite up to full fitness yet...

But enough of that... 3-0!

Lost our way after the double sub, maybe Clasie played a bigger role than the TV showed. Juanmi looks far better attacking than defending. At last a decent backup keeper! We didn't play well but won easy, we should be good this year.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Boring first half and a gripping 2nd one.

Wanyama was shocking while Claisie was class.

Thought our new Dutch keeper was poor while the ref did not let the game flow at all.

Oh, and it was great to see Hodgson back at St Mary's again.

You little joker you Pilch...

We lost our shape a bit when Claisie and Tadic went off, but we always looked to have a very limited Vitesse side contained.

Peach of a finish from Pelle

Finally a good penalty taken by Tadic

Delightful little chip from Juanmi to Long for the 3rd, after Long had done his trademark charge through the defence to create panic that he does so well.

Cedric looks a more than capable replacement for Clyne.

Lots of positives to take from that. I can't really see Vitesse turning that scoreline over in the away leg so we should be comfortably through to the group stage.

We march on!

There's another round yet, but Vojvodina thrashing Sampdoria by four goals to nil, and West Ham going to Romania losing on away goals, is of benefit to us.

Happy with that result for sure, but unhappy with the second half performance. Thought we lost all cohesion and shape with the two subs and Clasie going off. Think it would have been better bringing Reed on for Clasie, let Steven Davis stay where he was and maybe Long or Juanmi for Tadic. Still, a great win! Can't wait for next week :)

Boring first half and a gripping 2nd one.

Wanyama was shocking while Claisie was class.

Thought our new Dutch keeper was poor while the ref did not let the game flow at all.

Oh, and it was great to see Hodgson back at St Mary's again.

I'll take boring first halves all season if we finish them two goals to the good! Disagree about Stekelenburg though, he didn't have much to do but made an important save and his kicking seemed excellent to me.

Was an enjoyable game to watch as a Saints fan. Takes the pressure off the second leg next Thursday. One away goal should seal it.

Absolutely perfect result, allows for a little bit of rotation for the away leg so potentially a fully fit squad for Newcastle. Thought Cedric was superb but could maybe work on his deliveries, not fully convinced by Clasie but early days yet.

Can't see us failing to score in the away leg what with Vitesse having to go all-out gung-ho to turn that score around (if indeed their ambition isn't limited to just trying to win on the night in their home stadium).

Means we can go with more-or-less a second string with a few of the first-teamers on the bench if things get hairy.

Something like:

Gazza

McCarthy - Turnbull - Caulker - Martina

Reed - JWP - Wanyama

Davis

Long - Juanmi

Great result, decent (but not stunning) performance.

Hope Clasie is OK, seemed to get a bit of a knock. A bit of a subdued start from him but he'll come good no doubt.

Vic is a beast, Tadic showed some creative touches which we missed when he was subbed. Cedric started well and Mane was unplayable for some of the first half but maybe tired a bit in the second.

Long and Pelle were their usual selves and we looked fine defensively.

Happy days!

There's another round yet, but Vojvodina thrashing Sampdoria by four goals to nil, and West Ham going to Romania losing on away goals, is of benefit to us.

How would West Ham losing help us. In the long run, England needs to maintain its coefficient and a West Ham loss is very bad news for that purpose.

Really really proud of what we've achieved over the last 6 years. I can't believe it really.

We looked a bit jaded in the second half but our players are still getting up to speed. J rod will hopefully be unleashed on them next week as well.

Just to add, Wanyama was unbelievable today. My MOTM by a mile.

Can't see us failing to score in the away leg what with Vitesse having to go all-out gung-ho to turn that score around (if indeed their ambition isn't limited to just trying to win on the night in their home stadium).

Means we can go with more-or-less a second string with a few of the first-teamers on the bench if things get hairy.

Something like:

Gazza

Reed - JWP - Wanyama

Davis

Long - Juanmi

I'd start Jay-Rod.

So who were the mystery guests Guan alluded to?

No idea but Jose just pretty much confirmed there will be new arrivals in his post match interview, with a cheeky grin on his face, as though it's already been done, I thought.

Wanyama and Mane were a cut above. Clasie seemed to be rushing his passing and gave the ball away several times - presumably just nerves though, as he can clearly pass. Juanmi didn't get involved much, but that little chip for the goal was sublime, so he's definitely got good technique. Stekelenburg did everything asked of him. As for the rest, Targett and Cedric both got involved plenty, with the latter maybe a bit more of a threat, but also a bit less accurate off-loading it. Davis was his usual mediocre self, as was Pelle, though he garnished his usual showing of flicks-that-don't-quite-come-off with a brilliant finish. Tadic looked full of energy, so hopefully he's over whatever injury issue it was that hobbled him for the latter half of last season.

At first glance, count four Europa games that went against form. With the CL results, puts us in a decent position for a seeding. Obviously, a lot can still change.

Really really proud of what we've achieved over the last 6 years. I can't believe it really.

We looked a bit jaded in the second half but our players are still getting up to speed. J rod will hopefully be unleashed on them next week as well.

Just to add, Wanyama was unbelievable today. My MOTM by a mile.

Couldn't agree more. An unbelievable moment for the club and a perfect result despite a slightly dodgy second half.

Good performance and fantastic result, although watching I was getting a little worried midway through 2nd half.

Mane was great, the Vitesse defenders couldn't handle him running at them. Cedric looks as good, not better, than Clyne going forward. Steven Davis was very good in the first half, as was Wanyama, Pelle, and Tadic.

It's not over yet, I'm sure Vitesse will have a great atmosphere next week. We will need to settle game down and grow into it, as Vitesse will come out flying.

But overall, very pleasing first game of the season.

Didn't play great but scored 3 and kept a clean sheet so job done. As our first competitive game of the season wouldn't expect us to be at our sharpest anyway.

Clasie looks like he will take some time to get up to speed with his team mates/tactics/formation etc...but that will come with time. Don't think there's reason to be too hard on him this early - has big shoes to fill which may lead to unfair comparisons and anyone would look less impressive with Wanyama being so awesome next to them!

In terms of our other new signings Stekelenburg looks assured in goal and made a good save when required, Juanmi showing he has some class with his chipped assist to Long (who again shows what he can do with his hustling creating his own chance, though also showing his frustrating side as he also messed it up) and Cedric looks really good especially going forward.

Special mentions go to Davis who never seemed to stop working and Mane who truly is looking world class at the moment - forget Liverpool or United coming in for him i'd be more worried about Barca and Madrid! Targett also looked at home in the first team and was good to see Reed get a run out as well.

Can look forward to the 2nd leg now knowing there's a bit of a cushion and wondering if we will rest some first teamers in preparation for the Prem?

Something like:

Gazza

Reed - JWP - Wanyama

Davis

Long - Juanmi

Thank god you're not picking the team. Wow.

No idea but Jose just pretty much confirmed there will be new arrivals in his post match interview, with a cheeky grin on his face, as though it's already been done, I thought.

I didn't see this but on Monday a mate said 'you're getting two defenders this week, one on loan and one permanent'. I thought he was taking the ****... and then Caulker signed. Lucky guess I'd say. We're very good at keeping our transfer dealings very quiet these days.

I was just about to write about that. Glad you noticed it too, I thought I was imagining things :)

OMW home and loved every minute of it. Their fans are a really nice bunch of people.

In regards to the game I felt first half we were in complete control. Second half was a bit dodgy and the third goal was some serious luck. If Long ****ed that up I think Koeman would of lost his rag!

Everyone was solid apart from Classie really. Made some terrible passes and got bossed off the ball a little too easy. But can't judge him from one game, going to take time to get used to the new team.

My motm was a draw between Davis and Wanyama. They were machines.

Keeper needs a mention as I thought he did really great. Not just the saves but his kicking was brilliant.

On to next week!

Something like:

Gazza

Reed - JWP - Wanyama

Davis

Long - Juanmi

No no no and no. If we did that and lost there would be hell on this board demanding Koeman is sacked for incompetence.