Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 3-0 Vitesse Arnhem - Europa League R3

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)  

397 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Vitesse Arnhem (Europa League QR3 Home Leg 2015/16)

• Stekelenburg
    • Targett
    • Soares
    • Yoshida
    • Fonte
    • Clasie
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Mané
    • Tadic
    • Pellè
    • Juanmi
    • Long
    • Reed

Shane Long (aka Shlong by my nipper) - I like him mainly because the bloke in front of me always puts him down. But his reading of the game is really quite good. The last two games that I have seen him (tonight and Villa) he spots the chance to intercept and takes it really well. OK, he should probably have scored with the through run this evening rather than having to rely on Juanmi, but watching the highlights, the way he sets off at 7.01 (

) is something I really like.

Wanyama was excellent, ran the game and carried Clasie.

Mane has a good game too, looks a cut above ar times.

Agree. Let's hope Clasie is just taking time to settle in, because at the moment he certainly doesn't look like Morgan's replacement. Wanyama and Mane already look the two that the big Clubs will soon be knocking on our door for. Mane looks a world class player at times; take him out of our side and there isn't much attacking threat.

This game was all about the result: keeping a clean sheet and getting preferably two or three goals. Koeman knows Dutch teams well enough to know that they will make some stupid mistakes so the Saints would just have to sit back and wait for their chances and this resulted in the 2-0 and 3-0. So the result is there but I'd expected a little more "spirit" from the Saints. The circumstances were there: a full house, the first European game in ages and playing against a bunch of 18 and 19-year olds... I guess we'll have to wait for the group stages to get more "entertainment".

Koeman said that he needs two more signings and it's clear that he needs a better central defender than Yoshida. I would like to see another midfielder with more creativity than Reed, Davis and Wanyama. Clasie does have a great passing skill but he's not the setter the Saints need in my opinion. Besides that, Clasie needs a couple of months to get used to his teammates and the PL while the team clearly needs some creativity in midfield asap. Good to see Stekelenburg play again, he's potentially a better keeper than Forster and it wouldn't surprise me if Koeman wants to buy him from Fulham in the near future.

Only one way to get him on pace - game time. So against weaker opposition made sense to play him we did actually win 3-0 you now.

You know not to make a reasoned, sensible point is wasted here, right. You have made several and all will fall mainly on deaf ears.

You know not to make a reasoned, sensible point is wasted here, right. You have made several and all will fall mainly on deaf ears.

people saying Clasie did not play too well are also offering a reasoned point. He didnt. Not many probably expected him to.

what is wrong with that?

I think we have a diamond in Clasie I watched how he tracked and closed space. He tried to play a bit safe and under hit a couple but once he settles. Him and Big Vic were breaking up everything first half winning it back. It took Morgan years yet Clasie is expected to fill "Morgan size holes" after 1 game!

Cedric looks a great find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlights on BBC Breakfast this morning. Cracking goal from Pelle, nicely worked by Long and brief interview comments from RK.

(No highlights of Wham except report of manager sent to stands :lol: )

Great start to the season!

Highlights on BBC Breakfast this morning. Cracking goal from Pelle, nicely worked by Long and brief interview comments from RK.

(No highlights of Wham except report of manager sent to stands [emoji38] )

Great start to the season!

They qualified for Europe through the fair play tables.

3 sent off already this season and manager sent to stands. Arf.

I think we have a diamond in Clasie I watched how he tracked and closed space. He tried to play a bit safe and under hit a couple but once he settles. Him and Big Vic were breaking up everything first half winning it back. It took Morgan years yet Clasie is expected to fill "Morgan size holes" after 1 game!

Cedric looks a great find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, funny how different people see games differently. Clasie looked lost and off the pace the entire time he was on the pitch to me. And before jump on me, on not writing him off, I think he will come very good for us, just on last nights offering I struggled to see it.

Big Vic was motm by a country mile though, agree with you on his performance.

Big Vic was epic

Thought the second half was slow and loved it when Fonte shouted at Mane to head forward rather than passing back so often

And hat was going on with them having 2 number 10s on the field?

Very odd. I was impressed by the play of their number 10 early on, looked up at the screen and saw his name was Kazashvili, which seemed unlikely. I have since discovered he is a Zimbabwean called name Nakamba and in addition he has the unassuming first name of Marvelous.

Massive lols. How long have you been watching football for? Saints fans are no different from other fans. Infact they are a lot more respectful than most.

I've been going to matches for 30 years. It's only in recent times that we have started groaning so loudly at small mistakes. When we are 2-0 up in our first European match for 12 years do you think it's good support to collective moan at a misplaced pass or should the crowd maybe ignore it because it's not really important and encourage the team instead?

In other ways our fans are quite respectful, but at times we come across like a bunch of whiny pre-school kids.

Really enjoyed the game. Thought Wanyama and Mane were excellent. Defence looked solid also. Clasie needs a bit of time to adjust to his new team and get fully match fit but I reckon he will be a big star here.

Was extra special as it was my wife's first experience of a live game and she really loved it, took loads of photo's and video's of the game/crowd! Hope to go to more with her this season

Hope Jordy coming off was a precaution.

Great performance, really pleased how it went.

Worried about how we are going to get Big Vic to extend his contract. Another disruptive summer beckons, I fear.

At the time it looked like he was going to get ready to come back on. But then afterwards confirmed he had a 'tight hamstring' and could miss start of season. Although given this is only next week may only be a couple of weeks (hopefully!). Didn't think he played that well but when he came off we seemed to lose it in midfield a bit.

Think we need to accept now that Wanyama will be off next summer, along with Mane.

Hope Jordy coming off was a precaution.

Great performance, really pleased how it went.

Worried about how we are going to get Big Vic to extend his contract. Another disruptive summer beckons, I fear.

Get used to it mate. The club have accepted there place in the scheme of things. About time you did too.

Really enjoyed the game.

Thought the substitutions made us lose our shape, but we rode our luck with a great save from MS who did well in nets.

Big Vic was excellent, Mane a constant threat & I thought Yoshida did well.

Clasie mis placed a number of passes & if Tadic doesn't improve I can see, Jaunmi, Jay Rod & Long pushing for his place in the side.

If we need another defensive midfielder then I thought Nakamba did alright for them & Pantic looked a player in the short time he was on.

So proud!!!

That would be a disaster. I really wonder if the managment think they can keep pulling rabbits out of hats indefinitely.

It's not pulling rabbits out of hats though is it? It's hours, weeks, months of research and analysis, it's hard work, attention to detail and a collective consensus.

What do you think our hoardes of backroom staff do? Sit around playing Fifa all day before having a quick scan of random European leagues and then deciding to sign someone based on a few YouTube clips?

You really are an utter tool.

I've been going to matches for 30 years. It's only in recent times that we have started groaning so loudly at small mistakes. When we are 2-0 up in our first European match for 12 years do you think it's good support to collective moan at a misplaced pass or should the crowd maybe ignore it because it's not really important and encourage the team instead?

In other ways our fans are quite respectful, but at times we come across like a bunch of whiny pre-school kids.

Yep, still plenty of moaning and a collective groan every time a pass is misplaced. If people aren't happy now, they never will be, sad really.

It's not pulling rabbits out of hats though is it? It's hours, weeks, months of research and analysis, it's hard work, attention to detail and a collective consensus.

What do you think our hoardes of backroom staff do? Sit around playing Fifa all day before having a quick scan of random European leagues and then deciding to sign someone based on a few YouTube clips?

You really are an utter tool.

You only had to disagree :mcinnes:

Yep, still plenty of moaning and a collective groan every time a pass is misplaced. If people aren't happy now, they never will be, sad really.

A lot of the moans and groans yesterday were of a result orbit being the first game is the season, first game in Europe nerve and worries. Give it a few weeks.

Wow, funny how different people see games differently. Clasie looked lost and off the pace the entire time he was on the pitch to me. And before jump on me, on not writing him off, I think he will come very good for us, just on last nights offering I struggled to see it.

Big Vic was motm by a country mile though, agree with you on his performance.

Yep someone on here even thought Targett and Yoshida poor....ignored it was Davis that let the guy get wrong side for their shot on goal but guess that's the old football opinions are like arseholes ....

What I liked about Clasie was that recently I was listening to a footie programme and they had an old player cant remember now who but he was top drawer in his day and he was saying about how good central midfielders should always be able to see their mates shirt number.

Meaning that you are never square, cover each other - there were times when I was watching Clasie last night that he did just that when Vic was maruading across he filled in that space - tracked players runs forcing them across. Same when he did that Big Vic did the same - as I said was disappointed in Clasie passing as expected a few more forward passing but that will come I'm sure.

A good football manager once told me its not just what you do on the ball that counts and think Clasie contributed to sniffing them out a lot.

Vic was my MOTM followed by Mane and Yoshida.

Yep someone on here even thought Targett and Yoshida poor....ignored it was Davis that let the guy get wrong side for their shot on goal but guess that's the old football opinions are like arseholes ....

What I liked about Clasie was that recently I was listening to a footie programme and they had an old player cant remember now who but he was top drawer in his day and he was saying about how good central midfielders should always be able to see their mates shirt number.

Meaning that you are never square, cover each other - there were times when I was watching Clasie last night that he did just that when Vic was maruading across he filled in that space - tracked players runs forcing them across. Same when he did that Big Vic did the same - as I said was disappointed in Clasie passing as expected a few more forward passing but that will come I'm sure.

A good football manager once told me its not just what you do on the ball that counts and think Clasie contributed to sniffing them out a lot.

Vic was my MOTM followed by Mane and Yoshida.

Yep, can agree with that. Watching the game back this morning and then the highlights just now (baby had me up at4.30 so had plenty of spare time) Clasie was more involved with runs than I gave him credit for. He was also blasting into the box when Pelle scored and would have scored himself if Pelle had knocked it over to him. That probably would have changed mine and others views and given him a boost. Be interesting next week if we play Vic and Reed and see how that pans out.

Guys

Have got a spare for Vitesse away if someone wants it. Assuming it arrives in the post would be willing to meet outside Sms pre Espanyol to do a handover. Face value to a Saints fan of course.

Our Mars bar loving friend getting his summer 2016 meltdown in early I see.

Might as well get the 2017 one in at the same time.....just who are we going to get to replace Koeman? Can't believe the board haven't got him tied down!

That would be a disaster. I really wonder if the managment think they can keep pulling rabbits out of hats indefinitely.

My responses:

1) Why not? Professional magicians do it all the time.

2) I heard that Vic went to Les Reed begging for a contract extension at the same wages and was refused. They must know something we don't so everything is fine.

3) We don't want Wanyama or Mane for 2016-2017. They will both miss January for the African Cup of Nations and with all our young players who will have to be on the 25 person roster that season, we simply don't have room for them anyway.

4) I hear we have hired lawyers to try to overturn Bosman and then they will not be able too leave. Don't worry. It will be publically announced early next week.

5) No you don't.

I agree with the other posts that give Wanyama MoTM. I thought he was superb, absolutely bossed the midfield.

Mane must be a nightmare to play against, great to watch. Enjoyed tonight. I can't see us slipping up from 3-0 up although a nice early goal would be good to settle any lingering nerves.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mané has lightening pace, and being relatively short and lightweight it doesn't take much to turn him over... should be good for a few more penalties the season.

Amazed at the amount of people writing off Clasie already. He's been at the club just over two weeks!! He has only had 2 starts in a team that has several other new players to bed in as well.

Take a look at the adulation he received from the Feyenoord fans. You don't get that sort off reception by being a pretty average player.

It must have been a whirlwind two weeks for him, contract/transfer talks, on tour with Saints, sorting out accomodation etc. All of this whilst his wife was about to give birth.

Anybody who has changed jobs, moved house or had a baby will know the stress involved - to experience all 3 in a fortnight and be expected to play as well as Morgan after 2 starts is asking a bit too much.

Glad to see a few people, having watched replays of the game, have admitted to seeing what he does when not on the ball, his positioning and his eye for a pass which they missed watching it live.

Give the guy a chance. He isn't a flambouyant player but will be a very important cog in the team ... for sure.

Remember last season how Pelle got slagged off after 1 game and Mane was being compared to Ali Dia?

Amazed at the amount of people writing off Clasie already. He's been at the club just over two weeks!! He has only had 2 starts in a team that has several other new players to bed in as well.

Take a look at the adulation he received from the Feyenoord fans. You don't get that sort off reception by being a pretty average player.

It must have been a whirlwind two weeks for him, contract/transfer talks, on tour with Saints, sorting out accomodation etc.

All of this whilst his wife was about to give birth.

Anybody who has changed jobs, moved house or had a baby will know the stress involved - to experience all 3 in a fortnight and be expected to play as well as Morgan after 2 starts is asking a bit too much.

Glad to see a few people, having watched replays of the game, have admitted to seeing what he does when not on the ball, his positioning and his eye for a pass which they missed watching it live.

Give the guy a chance. He isn't a flambouyant player but will be a very important cog in the team ... for sure.

Remember last season how Pelle got slagged off after 1 game and Mane was being compared to Ali Dia?

good summary Eric.

I was born in So'ton-not Sweden , and I guess you weren't born in Arabia ? ...or ?

.....all things take time to adjust to after you make a move, and despite the very positive acceptance he's received.... waking up every morning - or the middle of the night with a new baby .....isn't the easiest life style to adopt so soon.

The pace of the game may have been a factor, but I'm not sure that he's had a proper pre-season either (?).

He needs time .... and no-one should criticise on one performance. If he's out for a few weeks, and JWP is " upto scratch ", he should be able to DAJFU......

This game was all about the result: keeping a clean sheet and getting preferably two or three goals. Koeman knows Dutch teams well enough to know that they will make some stupid mistakes so the Saints would just have to sit back and wait for their chances and this resulted in the 2-0 and 3-0. So the result is there but I'd expected a little more "spirit" from the Saints. The circumstances were there: a full house, the first European game in ages and playing against a bunch of 18 and 19-year olds... I guess we'll have to wait for the group stages to get more "entertainment".

Koeman said that he needs two more signings and it's clear that he needs a better central defender than Yoshida. I would like to see another midfielder with more creativity than Reed, Davis and Wanyama. Clasie does have a great passing skill but he's not the setter the Saints need in my opinion. Besides that, Clasie needs a couple of months to get used to his teammates and the PL while the team clearly needs some creativity in midfield asap. Good to see Stekelenburg play again, he's potentially a better keeper than Forster and it wouldn't surprise me if Koeman wants to buy him from Fulham in the near future.

Ah, you've fallen into that trap of thinking we need to create chances to score goals, we just stop the other team scoring them and wait for things to happen up front. We very rarely go out and overcompensate to score goals, we always sit back and see what comes to us that we can take advantage of. Seems to work well for us. Occasionally (last season at home to West Brom and West Ham, and maybe Swansea) it doesn't unfold and we don't score at home, but usually we get a result without needing to risk conceding - the only time I think we overcommitted last season was at 1-0 down to Man City with them having 10 men, and we got caught twice and lost 3-0.

Stekelenburg has been completely flawless for us so far, excellent keeper. Glad to see it's not just me that sees Yoshida as a liability, that clearance to the striker on the edge of the box (when Stekelenburg was yelling for him to put it off the pitch) was his contribution to the opposition cause for this week, the only shot on target Stekelenburg had to deal with, and he does it far too often.