Away support and atmosphere?

unionhotel

I watched last night's match on a dodgy stream and although I was able to see that there were a lot of Vitesse supporters at the game, what was the atmosphere like? Were they hostile, good natured, supportive and noisy?

I know that there were lots of the Dutch outside of Yates who appeared to be having a good time and looked peaceful enough.

The reason I ask is that next week we obviously play them in Arnhem and it would be awful if our fans caused any sort of trouble, particularly for the Koemans. I'd like to think that we showed their fans hospitality whilst they were in Southampton and that this would be reciprocated in Arnhem.

It's sometimes difficult when you live away from Southampton to embrace the excitement of a match and it might be nice if some of you who live there could post photos for us exiles.

They were very noisy and happily jumped around like loons all night. Seemed very good natured, and I also noticed both sets of fans applauding each other at the end. Got the feeling it was quite a novel experience for everybody, plus there seemed to be a lot of kids in attendance which made it a little more timid (in comparison to a big game against a Premier League team). I am sure all those going over next week will behave, and do the club proud.

Here are some vids from my seat. When we made in 1-0, a big bunch of them got very upset with a handful of Saints fans and tried to get over and kick off. I think some of our fans were antagonizing them though.

Here are some vids from my seat. When we made in 1-0, a big bunch of them got very upset with a handful of Saints fans and tried to get over and kick off. I think some of our fans were antagonizing them though.

Brilliant! They seem to be loving it. Hope we're as good next week. Thanks for the videos!

The Vitesse fans made the evening more enjoyable. They sang and danced for 90 minutes. Fair play to them. Hopefully our fans give as good as that over there next week.

They were pretty quiet for a lot of the first 45mins, came to life after the game looked over.

I hope our support don't dance over in Arnhem, why would anyone want that.

Edited by Sour Mash

They made noise for about 20 minutes in total and I've never seen an away support at St Mary's decked out in so many half and half scarves.

I was sat next to them (block 1/2) and they made more than 20 minutes of noise during the players warm up. They were going at it hard in the first half until Pelle's goal knocked the wind out of them and picked up again about 15 minutes in the second half until the end of the game. Their team might be bang average but their fans were very decent.

They made lots of noise for the first 20 minutes and maybe last 25, in between nothing much at all. They were really passionate for those parts, jumping up and down etc, but in terms of actual time spent making noise during the 90 minutes, there are some English teams' fans that go for longer. I wasn't there during the warm up though so if they were making a noise during that then fair play.

• 5 months later...