Vitesse V Saints Thread

marc_saint

Don't think Caulker's available. Pretty sure players have to be registered by the deadline for the round itself, which was last Saturday.

I watched the BT coverage of the 1st leg yesterday and they said he was available for the 2nd leg . ????

Edited by marc_saint

Stekelenburg

Martina, Yoshida, Fonte, Targett

Wanyama, Reed

JWP, Juanmi, Tadic

Long

Despite thinking that we'll field a full strength side I'd like to see a much weakened one. Already through, need them to be fresh for a much harder game at Newcastle.

I don't think we will play a weakened side at all. Think and hope we will go near to full strength.

We're going to have to manage the squad this season. As we are sitting on a 3 goal lead I think we can make changes. Arnhem have to attack in the second leg which should give us chances to counter attack at pace for the away goal that would probably kill the tie. So maybe drop Pelle and have Mane, Long and Juanmi as a front three. Arnhem's midfield was pretty lightweight in the 1st leg so maybe rest Victor and play Reed. Probably keep the back four unchanged and play Caulker against Newcastle.

Judging from the line-up and playing minutes today I cannot see many changes from last Thursday. No one who played 80 or 90 minutes today will play Thursday.

Why not? With a 3-0 lead surely the likes of Long, Rodriguez and JWP who won't start against Newcastle would be better to play versus Vitesse than Mane, Wanyama, Pelle?

Why not? With a 3-0 lead surely the likes of Long, Rodriguez and JWP who won't start against Newcastle would be better to play versus Vitesse than Mane, Wanyama, Pelle?

Our reserve team got beaten by Sheffield Utd last year, we can't just assume the job is done and put out a reserve team. One or two changes maybe but largely the same team as the home team.

I think considering the lack of intensity this afternoon against Espanyol, which Koeman seemed to be pretty ****ed off with, I wouldn't be taking too many chances with team selection for Thursday. One or two changes, perhaps, but nothing wholesale. Long to start instead of Mané, perhaps, maybe Ward-Prowse instead of Davis, but get the tie sealed, make any necessary changes in the second half. We can take Pellè and Wanyama off at half-time on Thursday if we're one up on the night.

Our reserve team got beaten by Sheffield Utd last year, we can't just assume the job is done and put out a reserve team. One or two changes maybe but largely the same team as the home team.

This, we aren't good enough yet to start messing about in Europe.

This, we aren't good enough yet to start messing about in Europe.

Generally agree, but a three-goal lead is very comfortable. No away goal to worry about either. I can't see Vitesse scoring four, even with a number of changes, so I think we can afford to drop some. Or else, start with a strong team and aim for an early away goal to properly kill the tie, then bring on the subs.

Can't see Koeman putting out a weakened team but it may not be all the players we would generally regard as first choice but as I see it, that's because there are now some positions where personnel can be rotated without weakening the side. The three goal lead may not make us as invincible as a four-goal lead but it's still a very good cushion an although the mantra is the next game, my guess is that we will might see a slightly laid-back performance in Arnham but a very committed Saints' team at Newcastle.

Generally agree, but a three-goal lead is very comfortable. No away goal to worry about either. I can't see Vitesse scoring four, even with a number of changes, so I think we can afford to drop some. Or else, start with a strong team and aim for an early away goal to properly kill the tie, then bring on the subs.

I think that's what'll most likely happen. If we go one up, that means Vitesse need to score 5 in the remainder of the game. Get a first half lead, then we can bring Reed on for Wanyama, Ward-Prowse on for Mané and give the pair of them a rest. Maybe even Fonte if Caulker is available - one thing to note is that Caulker is listed among our squad on the UEFA website.

I think I would start with:

Stekers

Martina

Fonte

Yoshi

Targett

Reed

Davis

JWP

Juanmi

Long

Pelle

Bench: Gazza, Soares, McCarthy (Caulker if available), Wanyama, Rodriguez, Mane, Tadic

With Bertrand out we are weak at full-back in terms of depth so I don't see any reason to play Cedric and Martina should be capable, especially given the balance of the tie. Likewise we currently have no cover for Wanyama. We should be able to protect a three goal lead without him and I can't see us not-scoring based on Arnhem having a couple of clowns at the back; this effectively means we should have a five goal lead.

Mane is our best player and can be on the bench if needed.

Ideally we would take a centre back and Targett off at half-time if things are going well. I assume Davis and Pelle will both play at Newcastle so one of those can also come off (probably Davis, as he is likely to get through a lot more running than Pelle).

I think considering the lack of intensity this afternoon against Espanyol, which Koeman seemed to be pretty ****ed off with, I wouldn't be taking too many chances with team selection for Thursday. One or two changes, perhaps, but nothing wholesale. Long to start instead of Mané, perhaps, maybe Ward-Prowse instead of Davis, but get the tie sealed, make any necessary changes in the second half. We can take Pellè and Wanyama off at half-time on Thursday if we're one up on the night.

If we want an early goal, who is more likely to score, Mane or Long?

Mane.

Mane.

TBF Long scored in the first leg after only being on the pitch 10 minutes or so. He is perfectly capable of getting another goal. If this game was on a knife edge I'd start Mane but as we are comfortable I'd start Long and keep Mane for Newcastle. If Mane is on the bench we can always bring him on if things look like not going to script. We are going to have to utilise the squad this season if we can't do it at 3-0 up with no away goals in a two legged tie I don't know when we can.

I think I would start with:

Stekers

Martina

Fonte

Yoshi

Targett

Reed

Davis

JWP

Juanmi

Long

Pelle

Bench: Gazza, Soares, McCarthy (Caulker if available), Wanyama, Rodriguez, Mane, Tadic

With Bertrand out we are weak at full-back in terms of depth so I don't see any reason to play Cedric and Martina should be capable, especially given the balance of the tie. Likewise we currently have no cover for Wanyama. We should be able to protect a three goal lead without him and I can't see us not-scoring based on Arnhem having a couple of clowns at the back; this effectively means we should have a five goal lead.

Mane is our best player and can be on the bench if needed.

Ideally we would take a centre back and Targett off at half-time if things are going well. I assume Davis and Pelle will both play at Newcastle so one of those can also come off (probably Davis, as he is likely to get through a lot more running than Pelle).

I would also go for this. Easily capable of a good result and yet allows key players to be fresh for the first PL game.

Mane.

I don't think that's normally our game plan and especially not away from home when we're already 3-0. Some people seem to favour an attacking strategy with 4 or 5 first choice players rested. That's a dangerous game which could leave us 2-0 down very quickly and sitting rather nervous.

Play a strong team, perhaps rest one or two attacking players but no more. Keep possession, defend with patience and wait for a chance. An early goal would be nice but a highly frustrating 0-0 (for Vitesse) would get the job done.

Given that Stekelenburg, Cedric and S Davis had zero game time yesterday I would imagine they will all play. Add to that those first teamers who only had 45 minutes and I think we have our team for Thursday:

Stek

Cedric

Fonte

Yoshida

Targett

Vic

Davis

Tadic

Mane

Pelle

Long

As others have said, I really can't see anyone who played the full 90 (or even 70) minutes starting Thursday. i.e. JRod, JWP, Martina, Caulker, Juanmi

Gazza

Martina

Caulker

McCarthy

Debayo

Reed

JWP

Davis

Juanmi

Long

Jay Rod

Not being serious btw- but i reckon that team could muster a draw.

Isn't that what spurs did- i remember when they made like 7/8 changes for a Europa League tie last season.

d2bd915f9e10a3bcb7210e5915add9e9.png

The Saints media team do an excellent job on the whole with some fantastic innovations but why are they always so slow to make announcements!?

BT Sport announced on their coverage last Thursday that they would be showing the return leg

Clearly the West Ham is BT's main game on Thursday as it is on their EUROPE channel with time allowed for the build up, whereas our game in on BT Sport 2 , programme starting at 7pm which is the same time as kick off - not quite sure how they'll manage that will just go straight into it i guess.

does anyone know how much BT pay per game in these? the club must be pleased having only taken part in one round so far we've had both legs televised plus a full house helping to maximise income from taking part.

Not much, I'd have thought, and the amount we get for games televised from the group stage onwards depends on how far we progress and how far other English teams progress, so even if we're shown more than, say, West Ham, if they got further than us in the competition, they'd get a bigger slice of the TV pie (as well as the additional prize money for going further).

No particular problem with the West Ham game being their main one, it's all to play for in the second leg of that one whereas in theory ours should be more or less done and dusted.

Not much, I'd have thought, and the amount we get for games televised from the group stage onwards depends on how far we progress and how far other English teams progress, so even if we're shown more than, say, West Ham, if they got further than us in the competition, they'd get a bigger slice of the TV pie (as well as the additional prize money for going further).

No particular problem with the West Ham game being their main one, it's all to play for in the second leg of that one whereas in theory ours should be more or less done and dusted.

I assume you weren't at Watford Sept 1980 Steve?