Napoli centre-back Kalidou Koulibaly

marc_saint

Well, 4.6 effective clearances per encounter is absolutely brilliant but on the other hand I am worried because 2.3 interceptions is effing sh it.

Swings and roundabouts, though isn't it really though?

I wonder what Darren Powell's stats for Mr 50p Head clearances would have been.

Well, 4.6 effective clearances per encounter is absolutely brilliant but on the other hand I am worried because 2.3 interceptions is effing sh it.

Swings and roundabouts, though isn't it really though?

Wouldn't read much into it, all comes down to the teams style of play in a lot of cases.

Bit dubious about expensive signings from Serie A! Surely there's a few players with Prem experience we could go for?
I thought we checked that box when we acquired Caulker on loan.

I don't see any other PremLeague experienced CBs out there for the taking to be our starting CB.

I thought we checked that box when we acquired Caulker on loan.

I don't see any other PremLeague experienced CBs out there for the taking to be our starting CB.

Yep. Van Dijk doesn't have Prem experience either and people have been clamoring to get him. Italian football is known for being defensive, so I don't have too many reservations about signing defenders from Serie A. Strikers on the other hand ...

It doesn't look a particularly reliable source, unless anyone can say diffferently (did it break the Ramirez or Osvaldo stories for example ?)

Bit dubious about expensive signings from Serie A! Surely there's a few players with Prem experience we could go for?

True, but possibly the real problem has been signing players of South American descent rather than from Serie A.

true or not, you can bet no-one tried to steal his lunch money at school...:lol:

Certainly looks a bit of a bruiser doesn't he ? At 6'5" I think the label "no nonsense centre half" that many wanted in the Championship might fit.

• 2 weeks later...
Unlikely. But Di Marzio rarely wrong so definitely interesting and either way we are targetting top quality CBs so thats good.

http://www.thesirenssong.com/2014/11/3/7146263/kalidou-koulibaly-napoli-french-monster-in-defense

I agree it's unlikely but actually from a financial perspective we have still "only" spent 20-25m and recouped 37is so even if we did get them both for 25m we are still just a net spend of 12-15, not unrealistic. Either would be great?

The ever reliable Di Marzio says we have bid €12m for Koulibaly.

Back up plan to van Dijk or first choice?

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/napoli-ce-lofferta-del-southampton-per-koulibaly-la-situazione/

apparant "quote " from Celtic ..(unsure if it was the manager or the Chairman ?)......" we don't need the money...". well we'll see about that .

His agent surely will have say in that, and when he's into the last year of his contract, or OOC.... he'll be up for grabs.........

not sure why people think its "one or the other" with these deals.... Saints need 4 CHs of top quality all competing for a place and with Europa we will need to rotate a bit more..... Since Toby sh@t on us from on high the urgency is there, not to have "utility" defenders but ones that are key in that vital position.

not sure why people think its "one or the other" with these deals.... Saints need 4 CHs of top quality all competing for a place and with Europa we will need to rotate a bit more..... Since Toby sh@t on us from on high the urgency is there, not to have "utility" defenders but ones that are key in that vital position.

But we have 3 and only would need 5 if Fonte went, so if he doesn't then we only need one more and Koeman has only said he is looking for one more centre back.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/maksimovic-potential-arrival-at-napoli-could-send-koulibaly-to-southampton/

Koulibaly back as a target? Would add the physical strength lacked at the back on Saturday, if nothing else.

Perhaps we go Koulibaly and VVD? And switch more permanently to 5-3-2/3-5-2?

It would have several advantages: it would take some of the pressure off filling the "Morgan-sized hole" in midfield (we deployed the same formation with decent effect last Xmas when he was out); it would free up the likes of Cedric and to a lesser extent VVD to do what they do best and get forward; and it would allow Mané to play in a central position off Pelle. Above all, it stays close to Koeman's basic defensive philosophy which has served us so well to date.

Perhaps we go Koulibaly and VVD? And switch more permanently to 5-3-2/3-5-2?

It would have several advantages: it would take some of the pressure off filling the "Morgan-sized hole" in midfield (we deployed the same formation with decent effect last Xmas when he was out); it would free up the likes of Cedric and to a lesser extent VVD to do what they do best and get forward; and it would allow Mané to play in a central position off Pelle. Above all, it stays close to Koeman's basic defensive philosophy which has served us so well to date.

I dont think that is gonna happen, but i would definetly like it to do so.

I already imagine a starting line-up:

Stek/Forster

Fonte/Yoshida---Van Dijk/Caulker---Koulibaly/Gardos

Cedric/Martina----------------------------------------------------Bertrand/Targett

Wanyama/Romeu/Reed-------------Clasie/Prowsie/Reed

Mané/Tadic

Rodriguez/Juanmi-----Pelle/Long

Just tell Van Dijk that if he moves to Southampton, he will be allowed to move upfield and lay on line with Big Vic when we're in possession. Then Clasie/Prowsie etc. could be more attacking in the position that Mané/Tadic originaly is attached to. Mané/Tadic could then promote into an striker/wing-role with Rodriguez/Juanmi on the other side. The wingbacks is of cause even more attacking than they are now.

It would be a bit more attacking in general, but the defensive organization would still be very solid with both, Fonte, Koulibaly, Van Dijk, Big Vic, Cedric and Bertrand.

I am in love... Get them both now please.

A nicely timed leak from Saints to hurry along the deal for VVD maybe? A 'wel'll go elsewhere manoeuvre' to push Celtic along (although in reality they don't want him to leave)? I wonder whether he could actually be a better option than VVD anyway.

Could be, but we don't usually use people as stalking horses. Not our style. Maybe it is a question of needs must, and us not prepared to take the risk that Celtic will drag things on past the close of the window.

This is an odd link, there is seemingly something in it, but going by all the other noises it seems as if VVD is nailed on as well. Maybe we're getting this one slightly advanced, so we can move quickly if the VVD deal doesn't happen? Seeing as that's what most clubs run like seaside b&b's would do.

I can't see us getting 2, not since we've signed Caulker. 1 or the other it seems, both very athletic, strong and quick center backs, so it's clear what attributes we are after at the back!

Am I correct in thinking Van Dijk would be cup tied for Europa games, where of course Koulibaly is'nt yet as Napoli have not played ?

Might that form part of our thinking ?

I don't think so but I'm not sure, if that helps :)

We're not in the group stages yet, once that happens then players can get cup-tied.

This is an odd link, there is seemingly something in it, but going by all the other noises it seems as if VVD is nailed on as well. Maybe we're getting this one slightly advanced, so we can move quickly if the VVD deal doesn't happen? Seeing as that's what most clubs run like seaside b&b's would do.

I can't see us getting 2, not since we've signed Caulker. 1 or the other it seems, both very athletic, strong and quick center backs, so it's clear what attributes we are after at the back!

I notice from Wiki that Koulibaly is listed as a central defender, right back and defensive midfielder. Perhaps it is cover for these positions that is also being considered. Or it could be that some sort of agreement is in place to let go of Fonte or Wanyama next year, so replacements are already being recruited. Getting both VVD and Koulibaly would be very exciting, but it does seem unlikely.

I think the less we have of your opinions on noises and speculation, the better :lol:

Am I correct in thinking Van Dijk would be cup tied for Europa games, where of course Koulibaly is'nt yet as Napoli have not played ?

Might that form part of our thinking ?

He couldn't play in the play off match for us but he can play group games.

Sent from my HTC Desire 310 using Tapatalk