Saints tabling a €16m bid for Schalke and Germany midfielder Leon Goretzka?

Saint-Armstrong

According to BILD: http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/schalke/england-wildert-weiter-42049200.bild.html

Goretzka is a 6'3" central midfielder who wears the #8 for Schalke, and has represented Germany at every level from U16 to senior team. He's only 20, but has 34 appearances and 5 goals to his name.

We've been watching him and are apparently now making our move...

Edited by Saint-Armstrong
Missed the word 'bid' from title.

Hmmn not heard of him but I like this wiki description -

Goretzka's head coach at VfL Bochum, said that he had "never seen an eighteen year old footballer which had a potential as Goretzka" and titled him as the "talent of the century"

He's widely regarded as one of the best talents in world football, really can't see this one coming off. Regularly played Champions League football and will probably soon break into the Germany team, had a poor year for injuries but he's absolutely light years ahead of Ward-Prowse from what I've seen of him. Pretty sure most teams in world football wanted him when he was at Bochum.

If it did somehow come off though, we'd have signed Spanish, Dutch, Portugese and German full-internationals this summer. Not bad.

He's widely regarded as one of the best talents in world football, really can't see this one coming off. Regularly played Champions League football and will probably soon break into the Germany team, had a poor year for injuries but he's absolutely light years ahead of Ward-Prowse from what I've seen of him. Pretty sure most teams in world football wanted him when he was at Bochum.

If it did somehow come off though, we'd have signed Spanish, Dutch, Portugese and German full-internationals this summer. Not bad.

You forgot Curacaon :-)

If he's as good as suggested, and considering age, current club and pedigree, surely €16m wouldn't be enough for him? And we could stretch to more if seriously interested?

I don't follow them closely, but Bild run a lot of transfer stories don't they, some right, some wrong?

If he's as good as suggested, and considering age, current club and pedigree, surely €16m wouldn't be enough for him? And we could stretch to more if seriously interested?

I don't follow them closely, but Bild run a lot of transfer stories don't they, some right, some wrong?

I think Bild translates to picture, which probably makes it Germany's version of The Sun.

Seems a weird one, Shalke one of the wealthiest clubs in the world, zero debt, top 4 challengers in Germany and think he has three years left on his contract so price seems cheap if he's as good as suggested.

Although, Bild article suggests he's prone to injury which is why Shalke MAY sell and didn't play a lot last season.

Certainly fits what we need though, we are looking very "little" in CM if Big Vic is out (which he will be).

Shut the front door! He's the stalwart of my FM save alongside Pogba (hooray for realism), if that's anything to go by we'll walk the league in 4 years :)

If this is a coverup for us signing someone worse that's not a very good idea - would have been like the club leaking that we were in for Alexis Sanchez before signing Long...

Edited by JxgrSaint

From his Wiki page. "Goretzka produces powerful shots from outside the penalty area, a trait similar to that of Paul Scholes."

Seems to tick all the boxes, we have lacked a CM that can score goals and shoot from distance.

Would proabably be a major coup if we signed him.

It appears Andreas Fehse is Southampton's Germany scout...

After image information of the seventh last season is willing to pay up to 16 million euros for midfielder Leon Goretzka (20). At the last Schalke test before the season started against Twente Enschede (1: 1) was the Germany-Scout of Southampton in the stands. Andreas Fehse (56), formerly pro at Leverkusen and Rot-Weiss Essen, Goretzka watched very closely.
Edited by Matthew Le God

According to BILD: http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/schalke/england-wildert-weiter-42049200.bild.html

Goretzka is a 6'3" central midfielder who wears the #8 for Schalke, and has represented Germany at every level from U16 to senior team. He's only 20, but has 34 appearances and 5 goals to his name.

We've been watching him and are apparently now making our move...

That is less goals than Steven Davis. He is obviously not good enough for us :rolleyes:

I don't get this bid at all?

It's smells of a decoy to put pressure on another deal elsewhere.

Why buy an injury prone player who has only played 3 games last season?

Why wait until this late to start a bid in the first place?

Koeman has been saying he hopes to have a couple of players in this week and you would think someone has already been shown around Staplewood, St Mary's already.

I will put my neck out and say it's the Sevilla midfielder, Celtic's Virgil and Adama as being the 3rd maybe signing Koeman spoke about.

On twitter the Liverpool ITK said it's certainly not a deal in the pipeline while the Stoke ITK said that Saints have come in with a late bid to sign the Barca player.

Very interesting week ahead I say.

I don't know if this exactly legitimizes the rumour, but it has officially hit the English papers.

Southampton target Schalke ace to replace Schneiderlin after Manchester United move

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/595876/Southampton-Transfer-News-Leon-Goretzka-replace-Morgan-Schneiderlin

But it turns out that the headline stems from the "fact" that Saints had a scout at a game!

It might just be a case of speculation....which positions are Saints looking to strengthen, what sort of money might be involved? Ah yes, that'll do, let's run an exclusive!

11 stone for 6ft 2 must have legs like Peter Crouch. I'm same height and dread to think what I'd look like if lost 5 stone.

Well at 16 stone, you're about 3 stone overweight for your height mush, so maybe you'd look , erm .... better?

He's only 20, so he'll fill out a bit yet I imagine.

Exactly

But they could be. For a pretty low fee

This is not us going to Holland or Scotland, where we can use financial muscle to get players we want.

This is a very wealthy top side in a top league.

Just can get how this would be such an amazing signing.

Edited by Batman

But they could be. For a pretty low fee

This is not us going to Holland or Scotland, where we can use financial muscle to get players we want.

This with a very wealthy top side in a top league.

Just can get how this would be such an amazing signing.

True, although he fits the profile of the type of player we look for. I imagine if he did come our medical test would see how severe his injury problems have been. Schalke are a big club but not sure salary wise they can compete with the prem.

True, although he fits the profile of the type of player we look for. I imagine if he did come our medical test would see how severe his injury problems have been. Schalke are a big club but not sure salary wise they can compete with the prem.

They can't compete with Southampton on wages ?

I would guess they could.

Unless this kid will be our top earner or something. Which he wouldn't

He's played a reasonable amount for someone so young, not sure you can write someone off as injury prone at that age.

I think that recurring injuries are often down to the manner in which the club handles the problem. Coming back too soon, or... wrong handling of the injury can make the situation worse. We really don't know about this lad's injury record or how he was treated. There must be some magic formula to getting the right treatment or why else would MU have poached " our injury expert " last season....(his name escapes me)

Some players called "injury-prone" which might also suggest they have many different types of injury, whereas it's important to ensure they're 100% on return.

Alan Shearer once said ...." there's a lot of difference between being match fit ....and being fit enough to play." At present Jay Rod is in the second category.

If he's a key player - a club may want him back ASAP.....whereas Saints had fewer soft tissue injuries (according to one quote in the Southampton Way" than any other Prem. club. This is surely down to the right attitude in terms of rehab. I'm sure Jay Rod wanted to get back playing as soon as he could walk properly again, but frustrating as it is (for him and fans) ...he's not reached the level of match fitness where he can play twice a week ( Ronald Koeman quote last week)

....and that means we go a few extra weeks without Jordy Clasie ...then so be it .There more to regaining fitness than just; rest, diet, and a bit of light training.

IF... Goretzka comes, and IF....he has problems.... it'll be up to our fitness team to get him upto Prem. standard, before he's reliable enough to play every match.

Well at 16 stone, you're about 3 stone overweight for your height mush, so maybe you'd look , erm .... better?

He's only 20, so he'll fill out a bit yet I imagine.

Yeah Evander Holyfield and Frank Bruno had to lose 3 stone to avoid flagging on the NHS obesity scale.

2 stone underweight would be, erm......better?